Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2007/8

Poster: A snowHead
We've had our first few days skiing, so I thought I'd provide an update on conditions for people coming out this week.

The conditions in Avoriaz are extremely mixed. The top areas around the Fornet, Choucas and Lac Intrets lifts have superb snow - although the approaches into resort are patchy.

The top runs around the Arare / Hauts Forts are probably good too, but the lower sections down to Prodains is very, very patchy and rocky.

Conditions around Linderats are ok on the north facing slopes until about 100m above the cluster of restaurants, but the south facing slope under Chaux Fleurie is a real mess. We got some untracked powder in the area today, so it can't be all bad.

The run down from Linderats to Ardent is only skiable by people who are either sponsored skiers (i.e. don't pay for their kit) - or care not one jot about their skis.

The Linga sector is probably good, but the link isn't open - so we can't get there.

One thing that is positive is that it's become cold enough of snow making.

Unforunately, the snow of the last couple of days fell as rain in Morzine and has scrubbed most of the snow off the bottom half of the main Pleney run - although the top half of the Pleney looks ok. Again, the problem is that we can't get there to have a proper look.

The bottom runs down to Nyon have faired slighly better - but are still unskiable. I'd hazzard a guess that the Nyon sector would have ok snow if you could get there...

We've not been over to Les Gets - primarily because the instructors we know who are based there are all teaching in Avoriaz. Again, I'd hazzard a guess that the main Les Gets bowl isn't too bad - but, again, access is an issue.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 6-11-07 18:01; edited 9 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice summary. Sounds mixed. Some good, some bad.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Will they use the cannons on the lower slopes around Morzine or do you think the temperatures will not be cold enough or the cold conditions now will not last long enough to be bothered with it ?
I am out in Morzine over the New Year, I realise this is a long way off in weather terms but it is just interesting as to what to expect when I get there.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitegold - the good is, honestly, very good. There were very few takers in resort today, so everything is holding up well. The bad is, well...

Smiffo - the snow cannons were running up at Avoriaz, but not (that I could see) in Morzine. Apart from that I have no idea, sorry, I'm too new to the area to really know what's going on. Certainly the locals are more relaxed than the visiters.

Les Gets was open today - although I was told that not a lot of terrain is open and that we are better off in Avoriaz at the moment. I took this to be because they are holding terrain back, rather than because there wasn't anything available.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers for the update, Im heading out to Morine/Avoriaz on teh 11th of January, realise this a while off in terms of weather but cant help but worry, nice to hear that some parts of avoriaz are good though!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There's three of us out there on Jan 13th.... same as you jon1298, can't stop "double checking" the weather...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We go to the next valley over on the 28 Dec - Morillon.

So at least if no good there we can shoot over to Portes!

Keep the reports coming!!!! Blush
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
waterskibabe, I think if you have a Flaine area pass you can trade a day's worth of it for a PdS pass (and vice versa). Worth considering for a bit of variety if things are limited.
We did this 2 or 3 yrs back the other way, and I assume they still have this agreement.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Andy
Thanks for the info - will bear that in mind if the Snow Gods don't bless us!!! Cool
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I just got back from this area of the alps 2 hrs ago. hate to give bad news but unless it snows from now until the weekend it's going to be one lousy xmas for anyone going to.....la clusaz, grand massif (flaine not too bad but still desperate), chamonix, megeve, pds, st gervais, - seriuosly I been through all of these areas in the last week and it's not looking good.
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NorthWestFace, I agree that things are far from good in Morzine / Avoriaz / Les Gets - but I'd say that lousy is a bit strong. It depends on when you were through and where you skied.

We skied at the top of Avoriaz yesterday and the snow up there is, frankly, very good - although the very last sections down the to the Fornet and Choucas lifts is suffering.

Nearly every snow cannon in resort was running yesterday and it's making a big difference. The run under Chaux Fleurie, which was brown two days ago, is now skiable and the whole of the Plaine Dranse sector has been held back. The lower runs in Les Gets are also looking a lot better for the snow-making.

Morzine itself, though, is looking lousy. I'd agree with that.

Personally, I think the Christmas skiers will be ok - it's the New Years skiers that need the snow - and there's a reasonable chance it'll come in.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I maintain that given the number of people about to descend onto not very much snow it's going to be very bad.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
> I maintain that given the number of people about to descend onto not very much snow it's going to be very bad.

It will just be Brits though, all the French have cancelled!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh blimey... its only my 6th ever trip... I'm relatively quite new to all this... 13th January to Morzine/Avoriaz... whats the chances of a decent dump of snow before then?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good stuff thanks Peeps!

Arriving in Les Gets on Friday evening.

I have prebooked online 5x 8 day passes for Les Gets. What are the chances of getting those upgraded to full PDS passes to ski Avoriaz (if I have to) I wonder?
ski holidays
Thanks for this report PhillipStanton, I'll definately be checking it regulary in the run up to the stat of Feb.
ski holidays
By the way Avoriaz at the best of times just doesn't cut it for me - you will get very very bored very quickly if relying on this for your snow over xmas. If you are in this area of the Alps and have a car I very strongly urge you to get in it and drive to Flaine. It will be about 1hr 20mins from Les Gets but at the end of your journey you will have a chance of good snow
snow report
Only a mother can find an ugly child handsome - thus it is for Avoriaz..
snow report
NorthWestFace wrote:
By the way Avoriaz at the best of times just doesn't cut it for me

In what way NorthWestFace?
snow conditions
NorthWestFace, You clearly haven't been shown the true path...
latest report
lol
latest report
TWO seems to be forecasting snow arounf the area from the 29th onwards.
Obviously that far out is definately subject to change but at least it is a bit more promising.
Can anyone back this up with some opinions.
snow report
Mmmmm. I'm out there on the 12th for a long weekend!! Slightly concerning! rolling eyes

Anyone know a good snow dance?!?!!?!
ski holidays
David Murdoch,

The only path I found of use in the whole area is the D902! The Pre Alps are a great place to visit in the summer but they just don't cut it in the winter. No comparison to the Alps really, other than about 6 weeks of the season people find themsleves skiing in suguary slush - you know it's true! The whole PDS is highly over-rated in my opinion especially the Avoriaz high altitude stuff that you here. yes the resort might be at 1800m but you only have about 3 square meters of skiing above this altitude!

PhillipStanton,

I think this answers your question.
snow report
yeh it's rubbish isn't it, rubbish snow, massive crowds, always tracking out the off piste Wink

snow conditions
kitenski,

Not sure what the relevance of those pics are - taken in the 6 week season no doubt Laughing
ski holidays
No.. I think they were taken last season around the 16th/17th december in Les Gets...

I was also there enjoying the pre season pow pow (sorry i meant slush wink )
Had never been to the PDS before but really enjoyed it , so much so i went on a long w/e to Morzine 15th March,
unfortunately it hammered it down with snow for 3 days before we arrived....
still musn't grumble, that's the problem with going out of their 6 week season

Still I refused to let that put me off & also had a rubbish time last week of March in Les Carroz (1100) more empty slopes and
an overnight dump of 12" + typical!!!

You would have thought the last couple of years visiting Flaine in Mid April would have put me off,
what with all that pesky fresh snow & not a soul on the piste for me to moan about it to wink

pre alps what a waste of time snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
wrongsideof30,

yes the Grand Massif is excellent, much better than PDS, probably the best place to ski in Haute Savoie. However, regardless of what you say or what you have experienced PDS and lower areas of the Grand Massif i.e. Carroz mostly get rain in March. The top of the bubble in Carroz is only 1800m and although you can get over to flaine quite easily it is a fact that warm rain on snow makes for a slushy time. Not sure what you mean by "12" + Typical" I can assure you that this is not typical for Carroz in March.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NorthWestFace - I'm sorry that we can't convince you of the merits of the area - but we all have different tastes.
ski holidays
PhillipStanton,

Just pointing out a few simple facts that's all. When people state things like '12" + Typical' I do find it slightly annoying as it's based on 1 trip - not really typical is it.

At the end of the day it rained all night on Saturday in Morzine because it's low and the top of the 'mountains' are also low.

In fact - how much skiing does morzine have above 2000m?
snow report
NorthWestFace:

I guess i must have been lucky... I certainly wouldn't say the PDS & other low resorts are the be all and end all, but neither would i be so keen to write off such a cracking area, when the experience of any place is lets face it, affected so much by the snow on the ground & that is in the lap of the gods.

I certainly wouldn't book the PDS if i was wanting to guarantee good snow so you are probably spot on in that respect, but then again apart from during school holidays i would never choose the resort I am going to until 3 or 4 days before I fly out so i know what the weather is up to. Perhaps that's why i have been 'lucky' with the weather more often than not wink
snow conditions
I thought some photos would be helpful for people to see what conditions are like.

The photos were taken yesterday.

Under the Choucas lift
Under the Fornet lift
Trace on the off-piste under the Fornet
Ugly baby(!)
The link over from the top of Super Morzine - the snow harvesting can be seen by the side of the piste
The snow line at around 1500m
Not so pretty - the southerly facing slope under Chaux Fleurie lift into the Linderats bowl. There is, however, a snowmade link run if you look carefully.
Another run into the Linderats bowl - this one north-east facing (I think).

I'll try and sort out some photos of the mess that is the Pleney run in Morzine.
ski holidays
NorthWestFace,

:ets compare Morzine and Val d'Isere last season - us lot in Morzine - a lot lower then Avoriaz don't do bad from snow!!!

http://www.avalanche-net.com/enneigement/statistique.php?spot=069&saison=2005-2006

http://www.avalanche-net.com/enneigement/statistique.php?spot=046&saison=2005-2006

Enough said!!
snow report
Quote:

In fact - how much skiing does morzine have above 2000m

altitude does not necessarily translate into length of ski season. practically the whole of the Espace Diamant is under 2000m and last year there was good skiing from Christmas until mid-April. the same has been true for the past four years. This year it is likely to be later getting started, like everywhere else at lower altitude, but there should be plenty of good snow for 12 weeks, not 6. We regularly have better snow than all but the top ends of the 3 valleys.
ski holidays
Been to Les Gets / Morzine 6 times. Never had a problem with snow.
snow conditions
NorthWestFace - I completely respect your dislike. After all, if you don't like the place you don't like it.

Personally, I really hate Alpe d'Huez as I'm not keen on bowl skiing. Though I'd still be willing to go back for someone to prove me wrong!
ski holidays
Philip Stanton

Excellent pictures! Great seeing a true view!

I must agree with you - I like skiing TO somewhere! So Grand Massif & PDS are fab for that! Thankfully everyone doesn't want the same or the Morillon would be like the M6!

Keep the photos coming! ENJOY! Laughing
snow report
Hey, if you don't like PDS or Grand Massif - that's fine by me - stay in your over-hyped, over-priced, over busy "well known" resorts and leave us to enjoy the places with no queues! The PDS & Grand Massif may be linked before too long - so we can enjoy the largest ski area in the world (I think) in peace! Samoens & Morrillon last season had plenty of snow from Dec 17th until end April (and beyond if the lift kept running). I suppose we are blessed with North facing slopes which helps.
snow report
Great Pictures!! really nice to see whats happenin oppose to reading about it! Keep them coming!

Thanks!
ski holidays
NorthWestFace, While I respect your opinion, I'm afraid I beg to differ. I've probably skied around 80 weeks in the PDS and have pretty much encountered all conditions. I get bored easily, clearly. It is a rare day that I can't find skiing that is all of: challenging, pleasant, educational and fun.

I am afraid in my book that height does not = a good place to ski necessarily.

Many times I have been a happy little powder pig in the 1,400-1,800 range in les Lindarets knowing that much of any higher terrain is storm bound.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy