Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2007/8

Poster: A snowHead
David Murdoch, I am not as worried as last year that's for sure rolling eyes Just being greedy and wanting more white stuff especially as I am organiser, want a big slap on the back!
Heli not an option for us Sad

snowscreen, we go 7th, see you there!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lovely day's skiing towards Pointe de Nyon. All pistes in good condition, quite a few people out, but no lift queues. Beautiful weather, sunshine, no wind.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Returned yesterday from Morzine. Conditons were still very good considering lack of fresh. Cold and sunny all week has maintained conditons well.

Managed 3 trips to Avoriaz which was quite frankly sublime! Did the wall......twice, got lost on Crozats and took a long track(icy and scary) back to Interets black which was mogully.

They have been blowing snow for the last 4 nights in Morzine and particularly Friday night mega blowing. As I said last year, hats off to the Pisteurs who do a fantastic job keeping pistes open. A few icy patches showing at times but on the whole very skiable all over Morzine / Les Gets. Blue skies all week and I have never had such perfect cruising weather!

I am told that Mont Cherry is still very good (down to top of Bubble) although I never got there myself my Father went twice!

Thanks to all advices running up to my hols which kept me sane. In particular thanks for the recommendation to go to L'Etale for my B'day meal, great meal and great service!

Sorry not to be returning next year...going to Flaine! I will certainly miss all the chitter chatter from Phil et al! Is there a Phillipstanton at Flaine?

Good luck and happy Ski-ing for all you resident / semi-residentials and those still due to go.

Bon Ski snowHead snowHead snowHead

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 17-02-08 9:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the report, RetroBod! Glad you enjoyed yourself - i expect we'll buy a day pass to Avoriaz at some point, but good to hear that the pistes are holding up well on the Les Gets/Morzine side as well!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FastEddie wrote:
Thanks for the report, RetroBod! Glad you enjoyed yourself - i expect we'll buy a day pass to Avoriaz at some point, but good to hear that the pistes are holding up well on the Les Gets/Morzine side as well!

Fasteddie don't be daunted by the transfer over to Avoriaz either. We did Super Morzine and Bus. Depending where you want to ski either is equally good. There can be queues at peak times but I never saw them? Even last week at peak Half term!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
just got back from a excellent wek in Morzine. Pistes where hard and fast all over lower down. On the sunny lower slopes the freeze/thaw we found was happening, so after day two we stayed up high all the time where the snow was great. If any one is going out next week I would advise the same.

Not sure if we imagined it but have the prices gone up considerably this year. I am sure that last year we didn't pay 194 euro for a 6 day open pass. In Ardent they where asking 6 euro for a bagget even the French hotel owner where we stayed commented on the bagget price the day before we saw it. She even had a go at the owner of the self service resturant owner saying to him that she will not go back for anything else. Do you think that is what they are working on sting us once becuase the majority don't come back.

We found a great little eatery half way down the higher slopes above Avoriaz on the Chavenett (below the ski cross area) slopes I think i'll check later. The Crok Monsuier was fantastic as was the freindly service and price not outrageouse.

Les Gets was as we found last year a great ski area but so busy the queue on the lifts just spolit it all for us (just a bit Madeye-Smiley ) so we only whent there on day 2 (saturday afternoon was our day one as we drove most of the way on friday staying in geneva that night. So I guess that this was everybody elses day one and every body was skiing locally getting there skiing legs back.and

Again this year we didnt ski much in Mozine Plenny area as we found the slopes much better and less busy up high.

On the way back we tried a different route and drove on thruogh Geneva up Mount Jura the back onto the auto route. Avoiding the first two toll charges. The run was very beautiful and somewhere we will definatly return to another day (any one know what the skiing is like there as its a good two hours closer to us than the alps) but it did take us about an hour longer than the toll route and we just missed our ferry!

All in all a great week skiing Hotel Beau Regard was friendly, cheap and chearfull once you got over the shock of being told the hotel shut at 11.00 pm and you either had to go into town and return via a back door tyhat is allways open (security) or go to bed.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I got phots if anyone can tell me how to upload them?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RetroBod, hmm fancy trying your route back for a change next time. We picked up Jura info last time on way back but generally haven't had much feedback about skiing in that area. Where did you rejoin autoroute to miss two tolls?
Thanks for PdS report. Mont Chery is often good shhhhhhhhhh wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi bigtoe, glad you had a good week. Just to say that, as I previously posted, Sunday is a VERY busy day in Les Gets, as lots of people drive up from Geneva and the valleys - it is one of the closest resorts to Geneva. We usually spend the day in the Mt Chery sector which has always been fine, no queues etc on Sunday. In fact I'm off there in a mo...on the bus too, as the car parks are full already! Lift queues have been rare on days other than Sunday here this season, thankfully.
RetroBod, I think there is a sticky on Apres Zone re uploading photos.
I think I'm going to try Praz de Lys/Sommand tomorrow, as it's just down the road from Les Gets. I'm going to post a 'who has been to Praz de Lys' on the resort thread for any advice from anyone who has been there. I've been walking there in the summer and there are fantastic views - would like to try out the pistes.
It's another fabulous day today, not a cloud in the sky and warm sunshine. Minus 0.7 deg in the village.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lou wrote:

Thanks for PdS report. Mont Chery is often good shhhhhhhhhh wink

I'm begining to see a conspiracy theory here - all the reps in the resort kept saying Mont Chery was poor and icy???????

But I'll keep Embarassed
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

shock of being told the hotel shut at 11.00 pm

After all that skiing surely you don't want to be partying into the earlier hours? You can do that on clacton seafront any time of the year!

Oh and I think last years PDS pass was 180 euros so about a 10% increase.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jayc,

Yeah mate your right had a look at last years pass and saw it at 184 euro should have looked before i opened my mouth and posted. I guess the shock was more to the point of the pound falling to the euro last year it was about 1.45 this year down to about 1.27 i think.

I am prob going to opt for Avoriaz next year as Ali (only just 5 next year) will be coming and it looks ideal up there, so central and in the snow line.

I think the fact that you can't stay up late makes you want to stay up late!

snowzebra,

I did see your post about Mont Cherry and tried to persaud all of the group to go but not today was the awnser. I will try harder next year as i havn,t skied there yet.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lou,

I guess you mean me rather than RetroBod we picked up the toll road at a turn of at Poligny. It was a great drive and my mate who is going to Italy with a group touring on motor bikes in may is going to add the road to his tour.

But going by Sat Nav calculations it took an hour and ten mins longer than the toll road so add that to your ferry pick up time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bigtoe, oops I did mean you and thanks for that. Think will give this a go, trouble is we are usually rushing on way home, cleaning, shopping etc so will have to get up earlier. We Eurotunnel though so gives a little more flexibility.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hello

I'm heading out to Morzine for the first time in a party of four on the 1st of March. One of us is a complete beginner and I am pretty limited (we are both late starters with skiing)... can anyone recommend an English speaking ski school? We are looking at group lessons rather than private.

Also I have been looking at arranging transfers from Geneva but I'm wondering if hiring a car is the better way to go... any thoughts?
latest report
Bambi on ice, how many of you are travelling? We used www.ski-lifts.com to get to Avoriaz who were very efficient and with a full minibus (up to 8 i think) it's €400 for a private transfer.
snow conditions
We have booked Ski lifts too - seemed to be the most competitive price. Probably could have got a car cheaper but not big enough to take 4 people and luggage - a suitable car would have cost more.
snow report
Bambi on ice, Hi, I have a group of 8 heading out to Les Gets on the 1st of March, mixed abilities, we used ski-transfers for our transfer, worked out a good price, our chalet is situated quite nicely so we should be ok in Les Gets without a car

lessons wise, you've left it quite late to book so get contacting people asap

www.the-snow-school.com

skischool.co.uk

ESF

i wouldn't leave it anylonger though or you'll struggle for places
snow conditions
Bambi on ice,

We are off to Meribel this weekend, and were quoted about £100 each for transfers (4 of us). In the end we have hired a car, we've got a Astra estate for £180 so works out much cheaper between 4 of us. From memory I think the cheapest car was £130, we need a bigger one to fit all of the luggage in! As long as we don't arrive in a blizzard we should be fine!
snow conditions
Bambi on ice, Yup you've left it late for best choice of lessons but don't despair! Worth trying BASS

http://www.britishskischool.com/morzine/

and snowscreens link to snow school as above. I think though that ESF is your most likely bet at this stage as they are a much bigger operation. It is the last week of the French hols too so ring quickly!

For transfers you could also try

http://www.skitransfers.com/
snow conditions
snowscreen wrote:
Bambi on ice, Hi, I have a group of 8 heading out to Les Gets on the 1st of March, mixed abilities, we used ski-transfers for our transfer, worked out a good price, our chalet is situated quite nicely so we should be ok in Les Gets without a car

lessons wise, you've left it quite late to book so get contacting people asap

www.the-snow-school.com

skischool.co.uk

ESF

i wouldn't leave it anylonger though or you'll struggle for places

Thanks for the heads up.

I have contacted 'the snow school' and they have space. I have also come across the British Alpine Ski School and 'the snow institute' Anyone used either of these?
ski holidays
Bambi on ice, not used myself but BASS have good reputation
snow report
Bambi on ice - BASS are excellent.
snow report
Yeah, Turns out BASS have no space so Snow School or ESF it is. Im leaning to ESF as they have 6 x 1/2 days starting on Sunday and Snow School have 5 x 1/2 days starting Monday... which leaves us high and dry on Sunday!
latest report
I had a private lesson with Alex from the Snow School at Christmas. He was fine, they were reasonably priced and did what they said on the tin. Also had group lessons with ESF Montriond (meet at the top of the Ardent bubble in Linderet) who were also fine.
ski holidays
Lovely conditions - yet again - here in Les Gets. Pistes beautifully groomed, fabulous sunshine, a few bods about but easy to avoid the queues (Ranfolly, Rosta) by going up Nauchets, Grains d'Or, La Turche for excellent skiing on Rhodos, Ambresailles, Vorroces. Some patches of ice, but take a line down the side of the piste and you're fine. New restaurant La Paika, on Vorroces, is exceptional. We were stunned by the quality of cooking. And no pricier than any other local restaurant. The extremely nice young son of the owner (who also owns Marmotte hotel in the village) has worked in Aspen and London and is now running it with huge flair.
latest report
Cloudy, felt damp and cold today. Did not go out, but heard that conditions on the fleche (timed slalom competition) on Mt Chery mid afternoon were 'slushy and icy'; other friends had a good day at Avoriaz, returning on the last lift.
snow report
Well my group are now very worried, were heading out on the first of March, this weekend seems poor so just got to hope we get really lucky on arrival date and have a nice top up, otherwise its going to be a repeat of bansko last year Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking at the long range forecast its set to start snowing late next week and keep on dumping for a few days.
snow conditions
Is the forcast poor for this weekend & next week Sad ? Our group are heading for Morzine on Sat.
snow conditions
Ditto, Jeraff - don't worry too much, the pistes are still perfectly skiable in Morzine!! I've just upgraded my Morzine/Les Gets pass to the full Portes De Soleil pass, so if the worst happens we can at least bus it to Avoriaz every day.

Keep looking forward to it - it'll be great, i promise!!
snow report
Today's conditions were absolutely fine. Due to higher temperatures, snow softer than before, which actually made skiing more enjoyable as no ice anywhere. Skied all day round the Les Gets bowl, towards Morzine and back, via Grains d'Or and the black, Myrtille, which was definitely very skiable, to Perrieres on Melezes. Melezes was great today - did it 3 times. Quite a few people about, queues at times at Ranfolly and Rosta but everywhere else no problem.
By the way was told by my friends who went to Avoriaz yesterday that they had an excellent day's skiing and that there were far fewer people there than expected.
latest report
jayc wrote:
Looking at the long range forecast its set to start snowing late next week and keep on dumping for a few days.

Mate you know it allways dumps hard and fast when you are out there. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
One day to go! Good to hear that report, snowzebra, especially since we just upgraded our passes from the local ones to the full PDS pass - just in case the predicted rain washes out Les Gets, we'll be able to bus it to Avoriaz instead where the skiing is bound to be great!
latest report
Jeraff, Weather forescast for Morzine area looks reasonable for next week.

Sunday - Sunny
Monday - Sunny in morning then clouding with rain/snow overnight - they are unsure of freezing level could be high
Tuesday - Showers in morning then sunny in afternoon
Wednesday - Cloudy with some showers 1600m freezing level
Thursday - now this is when it gets interesting as it is pointing towards a reasonable amount of snow lower than the village - YIPPPEEEE!!!!!

(Above is from www.meteo-chamonix.org)
snow report
That sounds okay to me - we've got no childcare on Wednesday anyway so i'll be happy for that to be the 'worst' day of the lot.

I think Tuesday might be the day to hit Avoriaz then...
latest report
Hi from Les Gets! First day skiing today, glorious sunshine and tropical temperatures mean great soft pistes in the Les Gets bowl in the morning but awful, hard to ski slush on the return to Chavannes of an afternoon. No real expectation of fresh snow but the best stuff higher is Perfectly Acceptable Skiing. Will update more in due course!
snow conditions
snowandtrek, Far too many Parisiens on the slopes today! Lovely skiing in Lindarets bowl this morning. Only managed a couple of runs before back to work but hey better than nothing!

Still saying snow but now put it out until Friday!
ski holidays
Are you talking to yourself again, snowandtrek? Laughing
snow report
how funny, last night Les Gets was showing 12cm of snow on saturday morning, snowforecast

this morning its completely changed from 12cm, to none lol, great
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy