Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2007/8

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all snowHead ,

We only have a few more day now until we head out to Les Gets, next Saturday morning. Just been checking the weather and wondered if any of you out in the PDS know if there is anymore snow due?

I would appreciate any comments, thanks snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just booked Les Gets for two weeks' time - from Chris's blog it looks like the dumps of earlier this week have guaranteed good snow conditions from now through to Easter. It'd be great if we got a few more flakes to keep things fresh and powdery, mind Smile

Leedslips, would you be so kind as to keep us updated on how it's skiing? I'll be a week behind you Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FastEddie, I will sure no problem Wink I can't wait to go now-it's been a looooooooong time coming - enjoy ur self Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
3 weeks till I arrive at Les Gets, can't wait. sure they'll be top ups of snow by then! March is historically the best month for snow (I think)

Going to love the lack of flight and transfer time after doing Bulgaria last year. snow snow snow snow snow
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agreed, snowscreen, - last time out we did Meribel from Lyon in traffic, which clocked up 5 hours transfer time...and the time before that it was Risoul from Turin via the Milky Way and Serre-Che...so four hours of my life gone there too.

I can't wait to see Les Gets within the hour this year Very Happy

And i concur...snow snow snow snow snow snow snow Wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
RetroBod, having a close relationship with the ESF in Morzine apparently Crystal know that they have their lessons from 1115 during the peak weeks!! Next time book direct and it will probably be cheaper as well!!

Weather, Snow and Crowd Report

Weather - due to be sunny and cold all week - IDEAL for keeping the snow and keeping everyone happy Very Happy

Snow - hard packed pistes - nearly everything is open, after 11am queues minimal!

Crowds - not as bad as is can be I think next week will be busier rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Leaving Friday. Only 5 more sleeps Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
12 sleeps and counting...COME ON, TIME....ADVANCE! Twisted Evil

snowandtrek, cold enough to prevent freeze/thaw and maintain glorious conditions? For two weeks? Please? Wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
professorpool, also leaving Friday... just hoping it doesn't melt on us!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tough crowd, professorpool, you'll be fine... there is still snow showing right down into Morzine itself so the conditions up top should still be fantastic... Les Get (160cm/65cm), Morzine (220cm/50cm), Avoriaz (20cm/180cm), Chatel (180cm/105cm) isn't going to go anywhere too quickly... enjoy!!! Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A resort-based question for those of you who are familiar - i am just studying the piste map and am coming to something approaching brain-melt trying to work out some good plans for epic descents from up on high suitable for my cruising-addicted wife.

From the top of the Chavannes Express, what's the best way to then traverse to the bottom of the Nauchets Express-area in order to get right up to the top of Ranfolly and Rosta? It doesn't look like there's an obvious route to take in order to get those few metres higher in order to then ski down Rhodos (for example).

I feel like i'm missing something Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And another thing - what is this Piste Mauve that's marked? Is this some hybrid red/blue that they've invented? Wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FastEddie wrote:
And another thing - what is this Piste Mauve that's marked? Is this some hybrid red/blue that they've invented? Wink

The Piste Mauve is the Milka-sponsored piste. If you're lucky you'll see the Milka Cow out skiing. If you're really lucky - and ask nicely - they'll give you some chocolate.

Top tip for sweetie lovers - if you've been good then you'll get a free lolly pop at the bottom of the Indian Garden drag lift. But only if you've been good wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you're serious on that one, PhillipStanton, then i'll never get the wife off that single piste... Wink

If you'de be so kind, can you also help me with my main query above?? Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FastEddie wrote:
From the top of the Chavannes Express, what's the best way to then traverse to the bottom of the Nauchets Express-area in order to get right up to the top of Ranfolly and Rosta? It doesn't look like there's an obvious route to take in order to get those few metres higher in order to then ski down Rhodos (for example).

I feel like i'm missing something Puzzled

You are. The online piste maps are incomplete Happy

Turn right off the top of the lift, cross over Gentiane (remember green cross code!) and just diagonally right there's a blue run that drops down in the bottom of the Les Gets bowl.

There's a rather handy link run that's not shown from the top of Folliets (the Morzine link chair) that drops over to "the place of three chairlifts" - Charniaz / Tetes / Troncs.
ski holidays
FastEddie wrote:
If you're serious on that one, PhillipStanton, then i'll never get the wife off that single piste... Wink

Dead serious unfortunately.

There are only so many times the Milka Cow will cough up. Trust me. I've tried!
snow conditions
Many thanks! Can't wait to discover the way the land really lies!!
ski holidays
PhillipStanton wrote:
There are only so many times the Milka Cow will cough up. Trust me. I've tried!

The Milka Cow in Les Arcs offers unlimited supplies. Trust me, I've succeeded Wink
latest report
FastEddie, PhillipStanton, the blue run from Chav.Ex down to Nauchets is called Violettes. The serious news is that that we already had a Milka weekend earlier in the year ... not sure if any more planned..
snow conditions
snowzebra wrote:
The serious news is that that we already had a Milka weekend earlier in the year ... not sure if any more planned..

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

For me, the season is over...
snow report
Ah, that had me confused - so Violettes runs DOWN from Chav Ex to Nauchets, meeting Reine des Pres and Campanule somewhere just above the bowl? From the piste map it looks like Violettes runs in the opposite direction, so you take one of the blues off Rosta down to join Violettes, which runs back to Chav Ex downwards....

...i'm going to need to *be* there, aren't i? Wink
ski holidays
FastEddie wrote:
...i'm going to need to *be* there, aren't i? Wink

Like most ski areas - it's easier to ski than to talk about wink

But let's have a go anyway...

Key lifts in bold.

Chavannes is the key lift out of Les Gets village. This takes you to a ridge with the Nauchets chair at one end and Ranfolly at the other:
- right is the Les Gets bowl
- straight on and left is a bowl with the "place of three chairlifts"
- doubling back takes you, well, back.

In the Les Gets bowl there are five lifts - all, more or less, on the same level:
- Grains d'Or provides access to the Perriers side (a couple of great and under used runs)
- Nauchets (turn left off the top) takes you back to Les Gets village proper or "the place of three chairlifts".

"The place of three chairlifts" can be accessed from Ranfolly (keep right and turn right) or Nauchets (turn right and turn left after the restaurant). Here you'll find:
- Charniaz provides access back to the Les Gets bowl
- Tetes provides access to Chamossiere
- Troncs provides access to Nyon.

From the Les Gets bowl, to get to Morzine you have two choices:
- Nauchets, turn left down Gentiane, past the top of the Chavannes chair and turn right as soon as you can see the double drag - head straight under the double drag and schuss on to Folliets
- head to Nyon and aim for the Fys (the "horse chair") - via the "magic bridge" (you'll know it when you see it).

If you're in Morzine then the key chair is Belvedere - which gets you back to Les Gets.

If you can navigate between these chairs in bold then you've cracked the whole area.

I'm sure there are improvements to this...
ski holidays
Sunshine and cloudless blue skies here, 5.7 deg C at village level. Not been on the slopes for a while, thousands of others are.....From what I can see, still good cover on the pistes, though the lower slopes of Mt Chery are looking grassy. Will report further when I next go out.
ski holidays
snowzebra wrote:
From what I can see, still good cover on the pistes

Laughing sounds like one of those news reports where they're not allowed into a country - so they report from the country next door in the hope that people will only see "foreign" and not notice it's the wrong "foreign". snowHead
ski holidays
Sorry, PhillipStanton, was it a bit flak jacket & landrover? Anyway, promise that I am in the right country, on the right mountain, and have just been out for a quick icy slide on Melezes/Tulipe/Vorroces. Lovely weather, no queues, fewer crowds than anticipated, but I found the pistes very hard, with several well signed patches of transparent ice. (as well as some unsigned ones).
Apparently Mt Chery was good yesterday and I imagine that the snow there will be better at the moment as it lies in the sun all day. Last night we had pretty low temperatures - minus 6 in the village this morning.
Quite a few fast skiers racing past and one group casually sitting in the middle of the crossroads at the bottom of the bowl just by one of the orange arrow banners....eek!
latest report
snowzebra wrote:
...was it a bit flak jacket & landrover?

Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Here in Les Gets we have been experiencing some snowfall for the last 2 hours. It's very fine and a bit like the snow mist the snow cannons throw out. It has covered the roads with a light dusting, enough for cars to make definite tracks. I had not seen any snow forecast, but others may have.. anyway who knows if it will continue. I will update tomorrow.
snow report
Is it wrong that i am excited like a child on Christmas morning from that report, snowzebra?

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FastEddie, it may stop in 5 mins.....please don't get over excited! Only 1 cm so far I should think so keep calm. Will let you know Saturday if there is any real news. Temperature is now minus 2.7 in village.
snow report
Well, i'll go to sleep dreaming of thick powder anyway...if it doesn't happen i've only got myself to blame Very Happy
snow report
We will be coming to Chatel at the end of February. It looks to me like the Linga, pre la joux, les linderets area would be most attractive. We are all good skiers. Should we go to Avoriaz? Les Gets? Other suggestions?

Mike Fanning
latest report
Morning all! Any news of what fell overnight in the PDS?
ski holidays
An inch or so outside my door, FastEddie, enough to make the trees look beautiful as the mist is clearing this morning, but not enough to cover the bare patches on the lower south facing slopes. Minus 4.5 deg, sunshine gradually coming through, first buses and skiers on the roads. Changeover day today, will try to catch the dusting of fresh snow on some quieter pistes this morning.
snow conditions
Enjoy the day, snowzebra! When you say 'lower' slopes, are you talking about pistes or slopes down below 1100m?
snow report
snowzebra, Bon ski! Am starting to get those snow forecast jitters as coming out again in couple of weeks and no sign of anything Sad
snow report
snowzebra, bit like Cham then, solids precipitating out of the inversion. Not really snow at all...lovely morning though!
snow conditions
Sorry if I've confused you, Fasteddie, I'm talking about the mainly wooded slopes above the village on the south facing, Mt Chery side, which are not pisted, save for 'Chamois', coming down from the Mt Chery bubble, which they keep open as long as they can. The main skiing areas of Les Gets, ie all the pistes on the Chavannes & Perrieres side, still have good snow cover right down to the village.
ski holidays
Thanks for ski wishes, all. David Murdoch, so that's what it's called! Yes, it's magical here, absolutely beautiful morning. Time to get out there....
ski holidays
Lou, Group of 8 of us going out 1st of March, was starting to get a little worried aswell wink

little more snow forecast for sunday, and also some for wednesday, still 2 weeks to go so i'm sure we'll be fine

Staying in La Turche -Les Gets, a short walk from the first piste and at a little height so hoping for fresh snow that we can hit before anyone else
snow report
snowscreen, Lou, worried about what? There's exceptional snow above 1,300m. We skied powder (admittedly with helicopter assist) last week just a few valleys away from Morzine. Relax, enjoy, ...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy