Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2014/2015 (Folks that a Wrap 2014/15 season)

Poster: A snowHead
I was stunned to see people ducking under the ropes to ski into Mattun. rolling eyes
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DB, saw the debris today, dropped in from Shimmelegg about 15.30, and saw the scar on the snow. We skied high today but safe, weather was perfect and the drop into Hinterrendl after the barriers was epic, knee deep but you have to be so careful. There are unfortunately some people about who make bad decisions (not commenting about today's fatality above) but saw 2 boarders this morning on wind slab affected area directly below Kapall 2 lift, this afternoon the slab had gone and theirs were the only tracks above the slip.......hope they are OK bit they need educating!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What a great day today. Back still totally fecked but snow was so forgiving and the painkillers worked to a certain extent. So sad to be leaving the best ski resort/region in the planet tomorrow Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Was just reflecting what an amazing ski day we had today, truly the best conditions.@boabski, safe journey home, I agree Arlberg is #1!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowing lightly this morning. Pretty much melting on hitting bare ground.

Epic day yesterday. Great snow, relatively few people, and mellow sunshine. Given the conditions, stayed on, or near, the pistes.
Kandahar and Schoengraben were especially nice.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As @ulmerhutte, says snowing and getting heavier.....trees day!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Markymark29, do you have a guide or all DIYing??
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@kitenski, DIY-ing, just known routes....snow amazing. Bachseite and Larches this morning was epic, back of Kapall bowl just now, heading over to Stuben now.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Markymark29, Bachseite is my favourite place, sadly too easy to get to, but great fun and (usually) safe.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowing all day with bad visibility, spent all afternoon up and down Larches and finished with 2 runs down through trees just at side of Maienplatt, knee deep pow everywhere, great day Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Flying into innsbruck 16th march - flying out 30th march - was thinking of skiing local innsbruck day i arrive, then a couple of days to stubai glacier - then head to st anton for 10 days.
What are the powder conditions like in st antonSpoiler
, likely to be good in 2 weeks
?
Or better elsewhere - where would you plan for two weeks of powder searching?

@clarky999 are you still around innsbruck area?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 4-03-15 20:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Toss a coin as to conditions in 2 weeks...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tuesday was a superb day. Deep but wind had scoured some areas and deposited in others. We skied Sudhang and the ski route down to Zug all morning and they were wonderful. Then popped around to Zurs where there was still some good stuff, before mopping up freshies on the Madloch back to Lech in the afternoon. There were slides happening everywhere so it didn't seem a good day to venture far off piste. Luckily you didn't really need to. A massive bomb triggered one blocked the cat track to Lech on the Madloch - we saw that one come down.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowing steadily this morning. From the looks of what is on the ground, it has probably been snowing for a few hours.

Going to be another great day in the Arlberg.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Throwing it down in Ishgl.
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, +1, snowing like crazy and clearing skies, looks perfect!
latest report
Warth is. Getting a sizeable snowfall this morning, visibility is a little hit and miss.
always amazes me how people miss some great little runs.i was on Warth W18 earlier, had it all to myself for 45 mins. Not a long run, steady which has two carriageways, covered in a 6-8 inch layer of powder, and easy side posts with a really good cover
latest report

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 30-03-15 14:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
random question for the local experts: There's a machine at the base of the Rufikopf lift that gives you your €5 deposit back on used lift passes, are there any other machines in the area to do this?
snow conditions
Crap - went home 2 days too early!! We had 6 powder days in 12, 4 truly epic ones, so I'll take that Wink And there's about 4 inches in my garden in Pittsburgh, and its still snowing ... Enjoy folks. Hopefully we'll be back for more Arlberg sublimeness nest winter.
ski holidays
Folks .

Heatwave on the way for the weekend !
snow report
stanton wrote:
Folks .

Heatwave on the way for the weekend !

Please postpone this for a couple of days, I want some pow on Sunday, even if it's tracked.
ski holidays
gortonator wrote:
Crap - went home 2 days too early!! We had 6 powder days in 12, 4 truly epic ones, so I'll take that Wink And there's about 4 inches in my garden in Pittsburgh, and its still snowing ... Enjoy folks. Hopefully we'll be back for more Arlberg sublimeness nest winter.

Count your blessings! Going to be 60F this weekend in Seattle. Daffodils are alreaday in full bloom in La Conner, and the tulips are going to pop about 3 weeks early too...

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/after-mild-winter-skagit-valley-flowers-blooming-early-2/

gotonator Post up those Epic Pow pics, I know you got 'em! wink
ski holidays
Kappl's new 10 Man Gondola Valley Station to be built this summer .

Design is from same Architects as Galzig & Rendlbahn

Kappl Diasbahn driendl from driendl architects
https://vimeo.com/66735038

Reminder ..

Here is a short write up of the proposed link up from St Anton am Arlberg (Rendl) to "Kappl" in Paznauntal

https://wwwstatic.tirol.gv.at/t3tiro/uploads/media/Kurzbeschreibung_des_Vorhabens.pdf

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 5-03-15 17:25; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Yet another big powder day in Ishgl. This really is the week that keeps giving. Have used my piste skis for just one morning since last Saturday.

Cold and windy up at the top though, and Swiss side all closed...

As Stanton says, forecasts say it will get up to 10 degrees over the weekend. But the snow is in such nice condition, and there is so much of it, that you folks coming in to the region this weekend should have some lovely piste skiing in beautiful weather!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 5-03-15 20:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
stanton wrote:
Kappl's new 10 Man Gondola Valley Station to be built this summer .

Design is from same Architects as Galzig & Rendlbahn

Kappl Diasbahn driendl from driendl architects
https://vimeo.com/66735038

Reminder ..

Here is a short write up of the proposed link up from St Anton am Arlberg (Rendl) to "Kappl" in Paznauntal

https://wwwstatic.tirol.gv.at/t3tiro/uploads/media/Kurzbeschreibung_des_Vorhabens.pdf

Gee, another excuse to go back to St Anton. Cool

Not that I really need one...
latest report
sah wrote:
random question for the local experts: There's a machine at the base of the Rufikopf lift that gives you your €5 deposit back on used lift passes, are there any other machines in the area to do this?

The only other machine I have noticed is at the bottom of Trittkopfbahn. I understand that some hotels will give you the refund. Never really bothered, so my knowledge is limited.
ski holidays
Toadman wrote:

Gee, another excuse to go back to St Anton. Cool

Not that I really need one...

Crazy 'winter' you're having there in Seattle. Snow seems to be following me - it's deep here today.

Pow pics on way, I promise
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

http://youtube.com/v/aOd0zqQq4C4
snow report
Tip top day today.
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen, +1.....every day, but today and the last week in St Anton, and week previous were very special.....best conditions for years, including the epic January 13 period! Awesome powder......enjoyed skiing with fellow SH's Tony and Matt Dulc too, nice one.....good to see you both again, great skiing.
snow report
@Kelskii, hope you had a good trip home, great skiing and epic snow conditions. Where did you ski Saturday?

We drove home St Anton to North Yorkshire 15 hours, great journey via Wurzburg, Frankfurt and Brussels, left 10am Saturday. Think we left some stashes for guys arriving now....... wink

Bis Naechtes Jahr! Vorarlberg und Arlberg waren Ausgezeichnet Toofy Grin
latest report
Long overdue thank you to everyone that contributed here and therefore contributed to the great time we had at st anton. We could have used some snow during our week there, but you get the what the snow gods give you. Had 2 great off piste days, I love starting here and winding up way over there with no one out there but us. Catching busses back to the main area, only in Europe. I would say that 60+% of our itinerary was due to the help of everyone here, from lifts, to runs to lunches to dinners.

Fondest memories, all the off piste, several off the rendl lift, the long run to stu en and seeing that ribbon of a run from stuben, the Weiss ring, the quaintness of zug and that lift, at Christophe and all the runs around that side, the views from the top of valluga (guide didn't thing going down to lech was safe unfortunately, so that will have to wait till another time), lunches at the many huts, st Christophe, lech and gampen. Rodelling (what insane dangerous fun). And just the people, everyone was/is so nice. We really liked the ppl that ran the garni in nassarein, but I think it would be a pain if it was cold and getting into town every night.

So getting the calf back into shape, hoping for a few more ski days in the USA before the year is up with find memories of the arlberg. Thanks all!
ski holidays
@Redwine, Glad you enjoyed it - I really rediscovered St Christoph too this season, all the runs off the back early February and also last week. We covered no distance this last 2 weeks, Week 1 pow every day in Warth (ventured into Lech for an hour and hotfooted back thinking, why when snow so good in Warth and Lech was tracked out?) Week 2 we just battered what we knew every day in fresh tracks in St Anton and explored more variants locally, even started to master decent sized cornice drop offs after all the years. St C, Rendl, Kapall/ Gampen and Galzig are in such great condition right now. Pals went down to Stuben one day after Schindler and Albona lifts had reopened after a few days closed to to av risk and queues were so large it was round the house, past the toilets 20 deep. Luckily we swerved left into Valfegehr and headed back up to get back on it, they bailed and caught a taxi - never seen that before. Stuben, Hinterrendl and Zurs/ Lech can wait until next year.........so much we didn't do this year, but who cares, never skied as much knee deep pow! Toofy Grin

One other observation this season, never spoke to so many North Americans, who raved about the place and loved the skiing, also many Japanese in resort. Says a lot I think.
ski holidays
I gota hit it on a powder week, only disappointment, so dam warm when we were there. Oh, and the dam euro queues. Why can't they just drop some ropes and hire someone from Disney to teach them how to manage them. I think that would actually be a good marketing option to have moderated lift lines vs the scrum. My 11 was getting quite good at the scrum by the end of the week Very Happy
snow report
@Markymark29, never seen qs that big in Stuben!!!
snow conditions
@kitenski, me neither. I guess you've got to put it in context though. It had been snowing for 3 days solid and neither Schindler, Ahlenmader nor Albona 2 lifts had been open so everyone had been hemmed in at low level in St Anton..... Friday was predicted all week as the bluebird day and so everyone seemed to just head down that way as the north face glistened in the sun! Everywhere was getting tracked out, Stuben was like a last powder stash all were after! All the car parks at Stuben and Zurs were full also, the whole of Bavaria and local Austria appeared to have hit the region for long weekend.......who can blame them? Stuben must have seemed a very remote place earlier in the week, all of a sudden it was hallowed ground!

I was skiing with my wife for the morning after a quick early sortee down Mainplatt, a ski school friend of ours offered to give her a 1:1 off piste tuition session and I was trailing behind in the pow......we got to top of Ahlenmader about 10.30, Schindler was rammed and the queue 1 hour minimum, Schindler accessed pow was almost all tracked out left and right, I shot into the pow to the right of Rauz run from top of Ahlenmader, played in the rollers then crossed over into the left side near the bottom and into the barriers and it was untouched. We headed left onto Valfegehrbahn, up Kapall and it was empty off the back, pow everywhere! Then Larches/ Bachseite, empty again and largely untouched in places, down and off the back to St Christoph to lunch at Maiensee, again empty and genuine first knee deep tracks late morning. Afternoon joined the guys again for some serious new tracks down to St Christoph ( under the mast), then a few Backseite variations to finish the day off........meanwhile Stuben was busier than ever, St Anton was empty, shame we missed a final Shimmelegg due to loss of lifts time!

Perfect day!
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
@Markymark29, never seen qs that big in Stuben!!!

Make the most of it . Stuben will be wrecked when they build the New Gondolas Shocked
snow report
Avalanche in St Christoph this afternoon at 13.00 in the Verwall . Ski Tourers very lucky , one is in Hospital..

Resue workers have been busy today also in Oeztal, & Stubaital

Danger is still considerable

http://tirol.orf.at/news/stories/2698593/
snow report
@stanton, agreed, as will Rosfall and Malfontal Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy