Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2007/8

Poster: A snowHead
SP1R1T, sounds like you had a great time! Did you get around the circuit roc d'enfer while you were there? Gazing at the webcams today wistfully but be out there again 23rd Feb Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SP1R1T wrote:
ski-finder, Gloom not set in as yet as legs still hurting and not back to work until tomorrow .... that's when the gloom will hit Crying or Very sad I am quite lucky as I can have another trip to PDS early March and then we have a big family trip with 20 of us to Obergurgl in April so still lots to look forward to Very Happy

No fair!!!!! Mad

Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MrDan, We stayed in St Jean but didn't do the circuit, some other people in the chalet did it on saturday after we'd had some snow and said it was great and not very busy. Hope you have a good trip.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
d2dja, thanks, still snowing, hasn't stopped all day.
Visibility a little poor higher up, but some fabulous skiing to be had if you were prepared to eat lots of snow on the chair lift. Around lunchtime it was bucketing down; we skied Violettes and Ambresalles by the Nauchets lift. Both swimming in fresh powder - around 8 inches deep. But the spectacular runs came a bit later. The snow calmed down a little and the wind had made some of the snow drift into small waves on the unpisted pistes and also off piste. We skied the bumps under the Nauchets - a bit like a duvet - and then down Rhodos, the red run next door which was like skiing through whipped cream to our knees. Over to La Turche and the blue run Vorroces was also extraordinary, particularly the off piste area by the trees. By the way there is a new resto there which I haven't visited yet..Brilliant afternoon with a great pit stop at the Lhottys (top of Nauchets).
Temperature at village level now 0.7 deg C.

SP1R1T, I hope you enjoyed the jumps - we were watching!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowmonkey, I was in our place in Morzine. I'll PM you with some dates of when we're out.

snowzebra - you can go off people wink

A bit late I know, but we had another one of zzz's little mystery tours on Sunday - down one of the couloirs from Pointe de Mossette down to Les Crosets (which, rather alarmingly is now marked as an itinerary) and then a little diversion off La Frontaliere on the Linderats side of Pointe de Mossette. Beautiful snow at the top, with an "interesting exit" Shocked The a quick trip to the Christmas trees before a well-deserved lunch.

I spent the rest of the afternoon in the Crozats bowl. It must be said that I'm constantly amazed by how quiet it is. There must have been 100 people on the other side of the Coupe du Monde. And there were generally no more than 8-10 in the whole of the Crozats bowl. Still. Our secret wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was a WOW day today.......
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PhillipStanton, fun as always. Still dumping here at 2145. Tomorrow is going to be amazing, I hope. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Guys, I'm going to have to ban you from reporting tomorrow. I have a 9am workshop for four hours, followed by a report to write and then a three hour training session to run from 4pm. So, I want you to think of that as you're up to your waists in powder Evil or Very Mad

I clearly should have "missed" my plane this morning.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Over there this friday leave some of it untracked for me Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PhillipStanton, Yes, well I do hope that zzz, will be stepping up the plate and proving that a certain pair of WC GS skis are no hindrance to the powder skiing of a man of his calibre -

...I mean, how else would you get to the next stash before the bloke on the Stoeckli Stormriders does?

I will be at my desk too. Bet it's all windblown. Probably flyblown too. Going green Going green
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Too true David Murdoch. A great leveller - if only zzz were man enough to step up to the plate wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow!

We certainly picked the best time for a sneaky 4 day weekend break. Stayed in a lovely chalet in Le Biot. Dropped off at whichever lifts we wanted in the morning and collected from wherever we wanted at the end of the day. Skied in St jean D'Aulps, Avoriaz, Morzine, Les gets. Skied in grainy snow, thick powder snow, heaped on the piste snow, waist deep off the piste snow, bright sunshine, snow white outs, winds, and even a spot of drizzle. Amazing experience. So varied, and such fun. I have not laughed or had so much fun for a long time. Pistes were pretty much empty. No queues longer than 5 mins.
I just wish we could have stayed longer.
Anyone going out there in the next few weeks, I envy you, you'll have a fab time. The snow coverage is excellent.
Highlight of the weekend? there were two: Skiing(and occasionally eating!) thick powder in a canyon at Col Du Fornet on Saturday, and cruising down the blues and reds in Les Gets in the glorious sunshine on Sunday playing tag (yes we are all 35-45yrs old, but had left all our kids at home with Grannies so had a right to be childish!).
Can't wait for next year.......
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PhillipStanton, don't worry, I am too exhasted to type after endless powder in the sunshine.... Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Double WOW day - sorry haven't left much untracked - off to the Crepu for a glass or two - PERFECT DAY all round!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ahhh I cannot wait. Going to Les Gets/Morzine on the first of March for a week, 2nd time boarding after a week last year in Bansko.

Staying in La Turche part of Les Gets, 200 metre walk in the mornings to our first slope, then a small board down to the first lift for the day

just hope the snow is just as good when we get out there, 8 of us of varied ability.
snow report
Snowmonkey and snowandtrek, Sad
snow report
PhillipStanton, David Murdoch, if it makes you feel better the snow wasn't quite waist deep in the hidden valley and we did see some clouds in the afternoon. I'm afraid I am not man enough to ski those WC skis in powder but I may try them later today in the rain. No only kidding. Yes raining today below 1500m, can't see the snowline but I think tomorrow onwards will be sunny; and that means........another powder day.
ski holidays
snowscreen, Hiya, we're going out to Les Gets 16th Feb, can't wait now - we're also staying in La Turche, at the Boise De Lune apartments..... we stayed there last Feb too, it's amazing isn't it ... out of bed and str8 onto the slope for a short ride down to the lift, bring it on.

Enjoy your week, won't be long now wink
snow conditions
zzz, jealous, jealous. Raining this AM in Chamonix/Les Houches but forecast promising. Heli-skiing on Saturday... Happy
latest report
David Murdoch, Heli-skiing on Saturday... Happy. Now I'm jealous.

Where?
snow report
zzz, (allegedly) lift from Cervinia and a couple of drops around the Grand Paradiso. Don't tell Shep...he's been trying to arrange for ages.

A guide mate just made a decision yesterday that he reckoned the signs were good and he'd be able to fill the seats and pre-emptively reserved the helo.
latest report
Leedslips, not sure if you can PM people on here

you’ve been to La Turche before
We’ll be self catering and on the map attached saying where the number 13 is, been told its 150 metres to the drag lift, or we can walk 200 metres to the right to the piste to board down to the 6 man chair lift, sound accurate?

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n215/DPS1984/Busroute4.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n215/DPS1984/Busroute1.jpg

Appears we’re a bit of a distance away from the main village so I’ve asked our transfer company if they’ll let us stop off at a good size supermarket before taking us to the chalet

How bad is the walk from where we are to bars etc, 800 metres or longer would you say?

First morning we need to get hire equipment and lift passes so hopefully we’ll be getting the free bus rather than walking. if its up and running that early anyway, 3 beginners have a lesson at 9:15

Any info you can give will be a bonus
ski holidays
snowscreen, rolling eyes I can't figure out how to PM either, never mind.

Yep, we stayed in the same apartment last year for a week-had a wicked time. It seems that you are lower down from where we are staying, I'll give you my amail addy - email me if you want and I'll fill you in : leedslips@btinternet.com

snowHead
snow report
hubblebubble, Can you tell me name of chalet just for future reference? I'm always thinking ahead to the next skiing holiday!
latest report
Hi,
We'll be staying in Chalet Aurora, found it on holiday rentals website

a search on there should find it, sleeps 11 in total, cost us £850 for the week, 1st march
snow report
RUTHIE

We stayed in Chalet Richebourg with www.hikeandski.com . Thoroughly recommend it. Very reasonable costs. transfers included from geneva. Excellent hosts who couldn't do enough for us.
snow report
3 More sleeps.... are all slopes shaping up well this year. We had a great year last year despite brown patches towards the end. However some south facing were only good for grazing ....is everything open now and likely to be all next week?

ps 40 next week - any recommendations for 14 to eat and maybe a few shandies in Morzine village?
snow conditions
RetroBod, I'll keep my eye out for 14 characters celebrating your begininig of life. 2 sleeps for us as we are going out early Friday Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RetroBod, Everything is open, the snow is great and the weather is going to be sunny and cold for the next few days. Happy Birthday Very Happy

I had my 40th in the Matafan, they were very (too)hospitable. It can be a little pricey though. Otherwise L'Etale is always a good bet. As for shandies, the choice is endless really, The Buddha, Crepu, Dixie, Rhodos just to name a few.

have fun
latest report
snowscreen, here is some snowHead info for you.
It's a 10-15 minute walk into town/bars/main ski lift & ski school lessons from La Turche. There is a short cut onto the Chavannes main piste area via the road up to the Hotel Crychar - you will see the sign - but this would not suitable for a beginner.
The first bus, line B, officially picks up at La Turche at 9am and reaches Chavannes - ski pass office/ski school rendezvous 5-6 mins later. It's usually punctual but can't say for sure...
There is an earlier bus on this route which drops the school children at school but I'm not sure if it goes to La Turche - if it does it would get there around 8.30am but you would need to ask your neighbours or Phillippe Sports whether it comes by or not.
The buses go round in a circle to town every half hour - pick up at La Turche at o'clock and half past. 9am - 5.30pm. I've taken this from the town guide, the stop is called Les Puthays.
There is also a small kiosk for passes at La Turche but I think it's only day passes, will check next time I go by, or a larger one down at Perrieres, the 6 man chair. I think you can also buy passes online if you want, if you look at the Les Gets website.
There is a nice, very helpful local ski/board hire shop at La Turche, called Phillippe Sports. You may find this convenient. But that is the only shop so you need to go into town for everything else.
La Turche teleski is a great little lift, opens at 9am and takes you to the top of the Les Gets bowl in 5 mins. It's often open a bit longer than other lifts, particularly at weekends when the weather is good. The 6 man chair, Perrieres Express, is also fine, but seems to take longer, and the bottom bit of Melezes piste down to the chair can be very icy. From your map no 13 dot you are definitely convenient for both, and you can either ski/board back down an excellent blue called Vorroces (which has a new restaurant just opened, looks very nice), or down the red, Melezes.
I hope this is helpful ...all the best for your holiday.
snow report
Rain yesterday morning, cleared later on, rather drippy everywhere, did not ski. Sunshine today, cloudless skies, good freeze last night, plenty of slippery black ice around this morning. Temperature at village level now minus 2 dec C. Still plenty of snow everywhere after Monday's substantial snowfall here, The lower slopes of Mont Chery still look completely white which is good - they are always the first to go muddy. Will be out later on the pistes.
snow report
snowzebra wrote:
...excellent blue called Vorroces (which has a new restaurant just opened, looks very nice)...

I must have been down that piste ten times this season. And did I spot the restaurant? No. I really must slow down wink
snow report
PhillipStanton, you know the little hamlet of chalets d'alpages half way up on the left as you go up the teleski de la turche, very pretty with lovely views. Well this summer they built a new chalet to match all the others, far left as you go up the lift, and that opened only last week as a restaurant - which is perhaps why you did not notice it.

Have just been out briefly in the Rosta/Nauchets/Chavannes sector - Morzine skating rink has nothing on that ice! Perhaps if you get up high enough above the thaw/rain/freeze line it is ok, but it was very hard and icy at 1600m. Beautiful day, best for a long lunch on a balcony looking at the view; maybe the sunshine will soften some pistes by later this afternoon, but at 1pm all the black runs were, well, glistening scarily. Off piste a bit like rubble.
ski holidays
snowzebra - I know exactly where you mean. Will be a good place to remember when it's busy.
ski holidays
snowzebra,
Hi thanks for the info, I’ve paid in advance for lift passes (need to pick up from tourist office) and hire of equipment from planet glisse.

Our 3 beginners also have a private lesson starting at 9:15 on our first day of boarding so I think we’ll either walk down the village early, or will ring for a taxi to take us from our chalet to the village. That way we’ll have plenty of time to sort equipment and passes rather than risking them missing some of the lesson. There are taxi’s available from the village aren’t there? We don’t arrive in Les Gets till 7pm on Saturday so will probably have to get lift passes and hire things in the morning rather than the first night.

Also need to do a big shop before the week starts so will hopefully get a taxi from the chalet Saturday night to a decent size supermarket to stock up.
3 weeks to go, can’t wait.
snow conditions
Snowmonkey - have tried PMing you, but you're marked as having an invalid email address. Do you want to PM me your email address?
ski holidays
Looking for advice maybe a bit late though.....Crystal stiched us with a phonecall at 11am today saying our ski school which we were definitively told would start at 9am is now at 11am. Would it still be possible to get private lessons next week at this late stage? Can anyone point me in the right direction?
snow report
RetroBod - bummer.

You could try with booking directly with either ESF or BASS. Other than that you could try Joe at www.alpinelearningcurves.co.uk (unlikely to have space, but you never know).
ski holidays
Thnx Philstanton. Looks like a bit late to try these too but thanks...might look at them next year.
snow conditions
It's worth a go RetroBod - you never know.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy