Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 15/16 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:
some big inversions around. This is from skipass.com where someone has posted that in Valberg (station in the southern French Alps) they are making snow in the valley and taking it up the mountain in trucks.

Blimey! The cost that must be involved in doing that Shocked
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fascinating.
Of course these so-called inversions are just a return to normal physics: the higher you go the closer to the sun, and therefore the warmer you get - stands to reason, dunnit! Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonpim wrote:
Fascinating.
Of course these so-called inversions are just a return to normal physics: the higher you go the closer to the sun, and therefore the warmer you get - stands to reason, dunnit! Toofy Grin

The Icarus Paradox? As we ski higher and higher and closer to the sun,the wax melts from the base of our skis... causing us to retreat into the valleys and drown (our sorrows) Smile snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GFS continuing to show some stormy outliers for the run up to Christmas. Not convinced at present (and the wetter site has issues so be careful for 00z charts from there this morning).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some very warm temperatures being suggested for next weekend.

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

The Norwegian forecasters yr.no are predicting double digits above 2000m for French Alps next weekend. This will be the third shi*t Xmas in a row. So much for last Xmas being a once in a lifetime event... I blame the fockers in car industry with their cheating software.

Believe me it gives me no pleasure to say I told you so. I have never wanted to be more wrong.... Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@noza, 06z looks much nicer than 00z. Gone by 12z Smile?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yr.no draw on ECM and it has been showing mild temperature next weekend for a while. That said what it currently suggests temperatures of 12C at 1500m in places. For double digit temperatures above 2000m you'd need that to be around 14-16C at 1500m. So not impossible but I can't see it being shown right now. Do you have the link? (not disagreeing with you by the way, but not quite sure why you are hitting the "told you so" tone?).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Millom, yep GFS 06z is several degrees cooler than ECM 00z and GFS 00z for next weekend.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@nozawaonsen,

Voilà http://www.yr.no/place/France/Rhône-Alpes/Oz~2988883/long.html

Apologies for the tone, just disappointed as heading out next weekend.

Better news on snowforecast.com who are forecasting 9cm at altitude next thurs/fri
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nozawaonsen wrote:
yr.no draw on ECM and it has been showing mild temperature next weekend for a while. That said what it currently suggests temperatures of 12C at 1500m in places. For double digit temperatures above 2000m you'd need that to be around 14-16C at 1500m. So not impossible but I can't see it being shown right now. Do you have the link? (not disagreeing with you by the way, but not quite sure why you are hitting the "told you so" tone?).

Not if the temps are inverted, which they currently seem to be a lot of the time.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hhmmmm. Still thinking about booking La Tania for next weekend. Trying to work out if having poor skiing is better than no skiing at all. I'm inclined to think it is, but not sure I want to spend £800 for it Sad That said, my lack of experience means that practice in poor conditions is all useful.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

nozawaonsen wrote:

Not if the temps are inverted, which they currently seem to be a lot of the time.

Regional weather forecasts generally do not predict inversions as these are far too localised (e.g. to valley floors) to be predictable at that scale. Very detailed local mountain-weather forecasts will predict them up to a point. ECM / GFS predictions will be based on the "normal" temperature profile.

That's my understanding anyway, happy to be corrected!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agree - Saalbach has been showing inversions on its web cams some days and not others. As you say, must be local.

(Of course webcams aren't 100% accurate as they may be warmed by the sun..)

Read somewhere that inversions are very common at this stage in the season
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@SnoodyMcFlude, I'd wait at least until Wednesday and if things look at they do now recommend you don't book! If the weather offers some more hope or you just want to go anyway then you should be able to get something for < £350 in Tignes or 3 Valleys for Christmas week by booking in the second half of next week. Obviously lift pass etc. on top.
snow report
I'd suggest Courchevel 1850, Mottaret or Val Thorens if you decide on 3 Valleys!
snow conditions
Inversions are almost guaranteed when there is persistent high pressure
snow report
La Chaine Meteo suggesting January could be a lot wetter, but still mild.

http://actualite.lachainemeteo.com/actualite-meteo/2015-12-13-07h31/previsions-saisonnieres---hiver-2015---2016-29378.php

"Les mois de janvier et de février semblent plus propices aux fortes précipitations, mais toujours à relativement moyenne altitude. Au final, on pourrait avoir de bonnes quantités de neige en haute altitude, mais les épaisseurs seront globalement faibles et très fluctuantes pour les stations de moyenne et basse altitude."
snow report
Millom wrote:
I'd suggest Courchevel 1850, Mottaret or Val Thorens if you decide on 3 Valleys!

All comes down to budget again though, the reason I'm looking at La Tania is because it's a cheap-ish deal. My thinking is that I'll get the lift out in the morning and other than that won't really head lower than 1850 anyway other than on the way back each evening. So I'd basically only be skiing the really thin stuff once a day. Will definitely wait to book anything, but don't want to be kicking myself if I stay home. I'm quite happy plugging around a limited number of pistes on crap snow, it's better than sat at home for 2 weeks with nothing to do but sit on the sofa and eat.
snow conditions
Snowsartre wrote:
Quote:

The Norwegian forecasters yr.no are predicting double digits above 2000m for French Alps next weekend. This will be the third shi*t Xmas in a row. So much for last Xmas being a once in a lifetime event... I blame the fockers in car industry with their cheating software.

Believe me it gives me no pleasure to say I told you so. I have never wanted to be more wrong.... Sad

I blame fockers eating burgers and steaks Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@SnoodyMcFlude, currently option with Neilson at around £350pp in Les Menuires, with less than a week to go I'd expect them to wave any single supplement (probably best to phone them).
latest report
Millom wrote:
@SnoodyMcFlude, currently option with Neilson at around £350pp in Les Menuires, with less than a week to go I'd expect them to wave any single supplement (probably best to phone them).

Cool, thanks for the heads up. Was going to be phoning around next week anyway but hadn't thought about the single supplement thing, every deal I'm looking at currently is based on it just being one person travelling.
snow report
Im hoping that things would have returned to near normal by january.. Heading to Skiwelt on the 22nd, so fingers crossed that some descent snow falls during January. Any thoughts on the possibility that the area could suffer from a lack of snow that far into the season?
ski holidays
The global climate change conference has finished now so things will return to normal.
snow report
@SnoodyMcFlude, run down to la tania looks more fun than sitting at home!!

https://www.facebook.com/latania.co.uk/videos/10153714155788617/
snow report
@Don87,

People on this thread are inclined to say things like:

1. Snow conditions now are not an indication of what conditions will be like next month
2. It only takes a day to change everything
3. It could be great, it could be bad, who knows at the moment

A few thoughts:

1. Skiwelt is quite low so would benefit from lower temps which may not come in Jan (see some posts above)
2. Last year I was in Salzburgerland in early Jan. There was heavy snowfall one week that meant everything from great, then the next week was very high temps (record for Salzburg City for Jan I think) and then lots of places were very poor conditions (lots of shut runs) for a period

You could hire a car (or at least get one you can cancel) and then give yourself more flexibility if conditions require it.

See https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/84332-alps-pyrenees-snow-thread-201516/?page=6 for some talk on possible temps for Jan (not specific to this year).

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 13-12-15 17:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Millom, no offence, but maybe stick to saying what you want to say rather than say what you think other people are going to say??
snow report
@noza, do you have anything else to add for Don87? I'm no expert like yourself but these things are the standard responses to this sort of question but please let me know if they don't apply here! I'd rather not say "I think" concerning the weather because I'm only following advice others have given, hence the phrase I used Puzzled.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Don87, I have no skills in forecasting whatsoever, but I was in Soll last January. They had just a big dump before we arrived and it was great (granted, we were lucky to have lots of snow but sun while we were there). However, Skiwelt does have a lot of snowmaking so as long as temperatures are low you should be ok.
snow report
Nice vid down to la Tania. However, I fear there is more natural snow on the NYM than there is in the lower 3V.

Come on jetstream, get a wiggle on.............
latest report

@SnoodyMcFlude, bussing snow up the hill seems mad but I guess the big cost comes in making the snow. All resorts have plenty of snow uplift capacity - they use tipper trucks all the time to remove the snow from the streets and tip it over a cliff or into a river somewhere. Some massive inversions around - though this was earlier in the month. Nearly 20 degrees in 700m!
snow report
GFS12z continues to suggest a switch to the jet in FI with it being launched straight at the Alps as we approach Christmas. This would bring lots of wet weather and heavy snow at altitude if it played out.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=240&mode=5&heure=0&jour=13&mois=12&annee=2015&archive=1
snow conditions
Low altitude?? Eg Austrian resorts?
snow report
I'm also heading to skiwelt end of January. There has been a few seasonal forecasts, around October November, indicating a stormy season, milder at the start with the cold starting late January early February.... So fingers crossed we should be ok!

El Nino could produce some epic dumps if it's cold enough, the general consensus seems to be it could go either way.

I seem to be able to find loads of seasonal winter forecasts in October but as winter progresses they don't develop them or elaborate further?
snow report
@mattiwilkin, not sure what you are asking?

Though keep in mind that although Austria has lower resorts they tend to be colder as they are further east. As a result you cannot compare altitude like for like from the western and eastern Alps.
snow conditions
@Jones82, just read back over the last few pages of this thread and you will find several. Though as ever be cautious with LRFs.
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen,
Quote:

This would bring lots of wet weather and heavy snow at altitude if it played out.

I think he is asking about your comment here and wondering if there will also be lots of snow in Austrian resorts if this scenario does play out.
ski holidays
@Lauka, if that scenario played out then yes though more so at higher resorts. But the comparison I'd look at would be between higher and lower mountains in eastern Alps rather than trying to compare east and west.
snow conditions
Temperature Inversion

snow conditions
@Lauka, in France and Austria it will depend on the altitude of the resort compared to local freezing levels. Snow does fall below the zero isotherm, but not that far below (maybe 200m). Freezing levels which are forecast are, on average (as is usually the case) lower in Austria than in France - but still horribly high, many well above 2000m. There are high altitude resorts in Austria and there are low altitude resorts in France. It's one of the many unhelpful generalisations that French resorts are high altitude and Austrian resorts are low altitude. Loads of French resorts top out at 2000m. I'm based in one of them, and not optimistic about the prospects in the next couple of weeks. But things really can change very quickly.

If temperatures stay as currently forecast (ie very mild) and there is a lot of precipitation some resorts, in both countries, are likely to have rain right to the top of their ski areas - and perhaps the majority will have rain at village/base level. A miserable prospect, really, for those going skiing at Christmas. But it's not that unusual. I have vivid memories of trekking through Mottaret, in early January, in the pouring rain with a lot of luggage and three disconsolate kids.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy