Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2011/12 snowreport

Poster: A snowHead
Went up to the Joux Verte with the kids this morning for a play in the snow and there was 20cm of nice thick stodgy snow. Weather was either big flat flakes or sleet. It has been raining all day down in Morzine but forecast is for snow down to 800m tomorrow and I have seen the big tractors putting on their snow chains (do they know something.....uuuhhmmm).

Will keep you all updated and let's hoping for a ski on Saturday Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name,
Quote:

Morzine Avoriaz gets more useful snowfall often than Chamlnix at lower altitudes

heretic! unbeliever! Very Happy you aren't allowed to say these things ...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DJL, Just noticed your signature, are you going to Chatel this year, I,m there from 7th to 14th jan. So far I've been to PDS 3 times once in Les Get, twice to Morgins and now booked to stay at La Bracconier (spelling)? at the foot of Linge I think, I,ve only touched on the Chatel area a couple of times though, any must does you'd recommend?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

DJL, Just noticed your signature, are you going to Chatel this year, I,m there from 7th to 14th jan. So far I've been to PDS 3 times once in Les Get, twice to Morgins and now booked to stay at La Bracconier (spelling)? at the foot of Linge I think, I,ve only touched on the Chatel area a couple of times though, any must does you'd recommend

This is my 4th year to Chatel. The local super chatel ski area is absolutely fantastic. The best part is that most of the other resort dwellers from avoriaz and les gets would not really bother going to chatel purely for the reason that it is the last resort you get to in the bottom left hand corner of the PdS (possibly the reason you only touched on it in the past Smile). You have enough to do in the west/central pds without trying to travel too far from home. This makes Chatel brilliant and pretty empty Smile. The only slight drawback is a lot of drag lifts and several of those rotten T-bars out so on a board it can be slightly tiresome but a relatively small issue when the conditions are good.
From Chatel you can ski through the swiss resorts which are also brilliant and get to avoriaz in an hour or two so to you can get into the main drag if you fancy it.

If we fancy gong to morzine/avoriaz rather than spend an hour skiing there we tend to jump in the car and drive to where you are staying around linga. It takes 5-10 mins in the car and then you are right into the main drag of the PdS.
Last year the weather was so hot in Chatel it really struggled due to lack of snow machines and there was was only a few runs open and the links to the rest of the PdS were closed. We drove to Linga every day and the rest of the PdS was open and the skiing on piste was still very very good Smile

Chatel is lovely alpine village with some great restaurants and several late bars. A great place for a lads week so we keep coming back.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chucking it down in the Morzine Valley all the way down to St Jean D'aulp. I know as I can see it from my window Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nadenoodlee, can you sort out a web cam? Toofy Grin Hang on, that sounds wrong. Embarassed Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andyph wrote:
Nadenoodlee, can you sort out a web cam? Toofy Grin Hang on, that sounds wrong. Embarassed Laughing

Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DJL wrote:
Chatel looks white down to village level from the webcams. Anyone on the spot?

Sat in the chalet, snow line is lower than the village. It dropped over 100m in the last hour. Its down at our chalet now at 800-900m. Might take a little drive up to per la joux today see how much its putting down.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Respectable snowfall snowHead Very Happy snowHead Very Happy 17 1/2 sleeps
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
youngeratheart, This will be our 22nd season skiing in Chatel. Originally came out on the Snowtravel (Chris and Coral) bus that was running Bristol, Bath, Swindon, Reading, Victoria coach station then overnight to Chatel. Travel and accommodation £99! After a couple of years we couldn't stand the bus any more and went DIY initially driving and hiring apartments or chalets and from 1999 buying an apartment. Its a great area, nice village and despite what many others will say the PDS gets more snow than its altitude really deserves. Not sure why (Northern edge of the alps? Close to Lac Leman?).

Access into Avoriaz and the best of the Swiss side is very easy (from Linga or Pre La Joux over into Lindarets and the ridge above Avoriaz, then either through Avoriaz if you are going to Les Hauts Forts or the Fornet bowl and down to the Abricotine lift and into Switzerland) and there is some good skiing in Chatel itself (from the Cornebois lift and the runs back down to Linga). Super Chatel is OK for beginners/intermediates and gives access to Morgins and the Swiss resorts (didn't work last year as too little snow to get down into Morgins). Some of the best skiing is found above Petit Chatel - you can head down to Torgon and over to La Chapelle which is often not too busy and has some great areas for long fast turns.

If you want to ski Morzine and Les Gets we have found the best way is to drive round and park up in Morzine. I don't find the Super Morzine side very interesting so we tend to skip that and head up the Pleney. That way you can give it a full day in Morzine / Les Gets and don't have to worry about getting late lifts back over to Chatel. Only about 45 minutes by car if the roads are clear/quiet.

Some good day trips possible if you have a car - St Jean d'Aulps and Bernex are local and each worth giving a full day to and it is possible to be at Ruinettes in Verbier 75 minutes after leaving Chatel. Plenty of smaller unlinked Swiss resorts are accessible as well

Keep the snow reports coming guys. We're out for Christmas (I was getting worried about that one) then February half term (boo!) and then a lad's trip in mid March.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
According to Le Dauphine today, it has snowed so much that seven cows were in distress in Chatel.

Seven!

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ledauphine.com%2Fhaute-savoie%2F2011%2F12%2F04%2Fsept-vaches-en-perdition-a-1800-m-dans-30-centimetres-de-neige
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paulio, Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
...and that is how mooguls are formed...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FlyingStantoni, That is terrible
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Udderly.
ski holidays
Agree with DJL about snow in the PdS. Locals tell me it is because of the lake. I suppose being warmer than the air above it, it is always evaporating providing a constant supply of moist air, being one of the necessary ingredients of snow - I'm not a meteorologist but that's how I think of it. Oh and of course the terrain is grassy slopes, not strewn with rocks like other resorts, so it doesn't need two metres of snow to be skiable.

I'm happy to let Peter Hardy keep sending people to the higher resorts with their eight-man chairs and thirty-minute queues after lunch Very Happy
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee,
Quote:

I know as I can see it from my window

aren't you loving being able to say that!
latest report
DJL, Thanks, I'll not have a car and I ski all alone cos the OH doesnt like it. This year I'll only have one day with the guide so I am thinking not to spend out on the full PDS pass and have a learning hol, sadly only afford a couple of hours tuition but then probably stay local and really practice. My question is though there is a discount untill the 5th dec on Chatel pass, but what if it turns out like last year, would you wait, or take the discount and hope there is snow, I dont think the local pass would get me up to Avoriaz in the event of little snow at chatel, would it? Puzzled
snow report
youngeratheart, My advice would be to pick and choose on a daily basis. If you want to get to Avoriaz or the Swiss side you will need PDS. For pre la joux, Linga, Super Chatel, and Torgon/La chapelle the Chatel pass is OK. You can also get a 5 hour pass which might save enough for a coffee!

If you've done 3 PDS trips and kept collecting the points on the same lift pass card you should be on for a free day by now.

The buses are pretty good once you get the idea.
ski holidays
Quote:

youngeratheart, This will be our 22nd season skiing in Chatel. from 1999 buying an apartment. Its a great area, nice village and despite what many others will say the PDS gets more snow than its altitude really deserves.

I completely get what you say. My 4th year and I am completely in love with the place. 1 hour from geneva and we rent chalet apartments that work out £140 per room for a week. Stunning value when compared to other higher resorts. Large apartments and we all get a room each, two minutes from the lifts.

I am seriously looking at purchasing a property there as well, a real hidden gem, long may it stay a secret and a reasonable priced resort. Great food and beer at English prices rather than £8 a pint like the Val's.
ski holidays
mheadbee, I am struggling to understand what is secret about Chatel, or indeed the PDS in general. One of the best known areas in France, particularly with the Brits and Dutch Puzzled
snow conditions
DJL, Actually I had a free day last time, I have now 112 (random figure) bonus points on from last year. I dont think its enough yet because when I tried to recharge online it said I had no bonus????? I will take your advice and wait and see where the snow is and how the weather is.

Need to share my joy, Toofy Grin I counted the contents of my lessons piggy bank tonight, I nearly have enough for 3 hours with 4 weeks to go Very Happy
ski holidays
Sorry seem to have strayed off topic. Last time I looked there is still snow on the views from the webcams!!!!!!!!! Except the one looking at the village which seems to only show the top of the picture, anyone else watching them? is it my laptop or is it the same when you try?
latest report
Snow in Morzine Village this morning.....we have a lovely white garden and it is still falling. Off to dig the snowblower out of storage just incase we get loads (which has been forecast). Looking good for a ski this weekend still. Toofy Grin
snow report
Webcams are showing a nice accumulation in Morzine & PDS this morning with much more forecast tomorrow! Oh how I wish I was there now...instead I have to wait for eight looooong weeks Sad
latest report
Out there this weekend. prayers have been answered. Just need the news that the area will open as planned.
snow report
BergenBergen, Avoriaz will almost certainly open... Don't usually open everything from day one though, but i suspect you'll be far happier than this time last week! Smile
snow report
snowandtrek wrote:
Snow in Morzine Village this morning.....we have a lovely white garden and it is still falling. Off to dig the snowblower out of storage just incase we get loads (which has been forecast). Looking good for a ski this weekend still. Toofy Grin

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

mheadbee, I am struggling to understand what is secret about Chatel, or indeed the PDS in general. One of the best known areas in France, particularly with the Brits and Dutch

Well that is easy. Allow me to explain.

Prices are about 1/2 of the rest of the pds for food and drink. The cost of apartment a fraction of the rest of the pds. You can book a really nice and very large apartment that sleeps 12 for 500 euros per week. If more people went there the prices would be the same as the higher resorts.

Hope that helps Smile
ski holidays
To be fair, that's still not really a 'secret'.
latest report
Quote:

To be fair, that's still not really a 'secret'.

Well I had never heard of Chatel or paid it much attention until 4 years ago and neither had any of the 14 guys I go skiing with, all have been regular skiers for nearly 30 years. I think you will find that in the grand scheme of things it is a less known/appreciated resort which offers as much as the bigger PdS resorts. Most people tend to go for the large and higher resorts like 3 vallees etc and long may that last. If they all realised how good chatel was they would all be piling over there as well.

Just my opinion.
ski holidays
mheadbee, IMO (I am very fond of Les Gets/PdS) that is the one big problem - that it is known so well and popular with Brits in particular. I would compare Chatel with Les Gets. Neither are mega resorts but have a certain charm and great skiing. Prices? Well it's not cheap but certainly cheaper than bigger resorts, even Flaine (it's DIY food most days there Toofy Grin ). There might be the odd part/run which is a hidden gem (LG peeps will know where I mean for that resort wink ) but nothing secret about Chatel in general.
ski holidays
I've been away for a day or so, so have been unable to get my weather "fix" - very excited now! Just didn't quite believe it was going to happen - should have kept the faith. Roll on the 3rd Jan when we'll be in Chatel for the first time, really looking forward to it. Heard good things about the resort, pistes and the offpiste. Has anyone ski toured on Pointe du Midi?
snow report
I started a thread ealier asking for suggestions for a destination for this wkend (Geneva flights already booked). Along with several for Tignes, Paulio suggested here. So, here I am!

Can anyone recommend me somewhere to stay? Half board or S/C, nothing flash or pricey!

And a quick summary of the different resorts and their differences/similarities would be great - I haven't skied the PDS before.

Thanks

Tom.
snow report
No pressure then.

I hope somebody gives you some contrasting advice soon, so that I'm not responsible for anything.
snow report
Cross post for an Xmas meet up in case anyone's not seen it - www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=80601
latest report
Lou,

Les Gets, great skiing, are you sure? Toofy Grin

I'm off for a rando in Avoriaz tomorrow. I'll report back on the snow.
snow report
Well, looks like Avoriaz are planning on opening this weekend with '80%' of the terrain open:

OUVERTURE DE LA STATION À L'OCCASION DE LA FÊTE DE LA GLISSE!

December 10 80% of the Avoriaz ski aera will be openning on Saturday,december, 10!

Come and enjoy the 6 days Avoriaz ski pass at 120 only!
Offer available on saturday, december 10, for a week holiday from the 10th to the 16th of december!

1 day Avoriaz Ski pass: 16 € during the snowsports celebration (december 10-11)
1 day Avoriaz Ski pass: 20€ from the 12th to the 16 of december!

http://www.avoriaz.com/
latest report
How does one actually 'get to' Avoriaz, since it's car free?

Also, is Les Gets or Morzine opening as well?
ski holidays
paulio, in a car up the mountain and park at the top or drive to Prodains and park there. If Ardent is open that is a good place to park too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy