Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2007/8

Poster: A snowHead
How to spot a snowHead - a suggestion:

Over on our trans-atlantic cousins' forum (epicski) there's been a lot of chat recently about radios on the mountain. They've been suggesting an epicski calling channel.

That might be an option for those of us with walkie talkies... maybe that's a topic all on its own, but if you want to spot this particular snowHead and are in Les Gets between 15 & 22, give me a bell on channel 5 sub-band 13, or PM me.

Only 5 sleeps to go Very Happy
CW
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dandtd,

Just checked the calender and I'm there from Weds 30th .........like a kid looking forward to Christmas Little Angel
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
a report from a friend's father in Chatel - it snowed last night and conditions are excellent.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
News from your Morzine correspondent - Although I can't (wont Razz ) guarantee many reports, depending on whether I can get to an internet cafe or not....

It's snowHead snowHead SNOWING snowHead snowHead down to at least 1000m. 10cm in places in Morzine village, haven't got up the mountain yet today (10.55am) but it looks good from down here.

The weather has been warm and wet for the last week, so this snow is welcome Very Happy . More is forecast for the beginning of next week.

The runs are generally holding up well, nearly everything open; Creux (the black on Chamossiere) was closed for a couple of days while they cleared some snow slippage but pretty much all good.

Gotta go.... and ski! snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
doctor_eeyore,

Just looked at all the Web cams and am mega jealous Laughing But only 12 more sleeps ...........
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
WCW has paid off wit lots of Snow Candy. Only 28 more sleeps (sounds good when you say it out loud!)

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 12-01-08 18:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Almost knee deep snow on my steps this morning, and then another few cms at lunchtime. It has been snowing all day, and the clouds have only just lifted. The mountains look great, and first lifts beckon for tomorrow morning...can't wait...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowmonkey, you lucky thing

5 sleeps to go
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowmonkey, ditto Tony Lane!

9 sleeps! Where are you staying and how long for?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
19 more sleeps for meee!!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
13 more sleeps for me!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My brother arrived Les Gets for a weeks' skiing yesterday, the jammy sod. I'm so jealous Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Update on condtions - SUNDAY 13th JANUARY

Fantastic mornings ski in Morzine on the Pleney/Nyon/Chamossiere and Ranfoilly. Yesterdays snow has topped up the pistes and they are in fantastic condition. A little busy as there were a lot of daytrippers! Off to do the circuit tomorrow morning hopefully!

Forcast is for more snow during the week rain/snow limit hovering between 900m and 1300m then possibly warmer at the end of the week with rain/snow limit higher up.

Should be a good week!

P.S. We still haev a couple of rooms left for next week 19th Jan in our catered chalet at great prices!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i've got 15 sleeps left
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Och, I've still got 60 sleeps to go!!!!!
snow report
snow-forecast.com is still saying that it last snowed in Chatel on 30 December rolling eyes
latest report
I've got 13 sleeps left snowHead
latest report
sheepmadang,
Quote:

Och, I've still got 60 sleeps to go!!!!!

I'll have been and come back twice in that time and just about to go on the next Laughing
latest report
Quote:
My brother arrived Les Gets for a weeks' skiing yesterday, the jammy sod. I'm so jealous

Picadilly, you won't be so jealous if it rains cats and dogs on him before the end of the week....
ski holidays
pam w, is it likely?!?!?!? Crying or Very sad
latest report
dandtd, the forecasts seem to be all over the place at the moment. However it still looks likely for short term snow, then a chance of some rain at the weekend (I don't know what the snow/rain line might be just yet). Although It doesn't look anywhere near as bad as it was a week or so ago, and that didn't do TOO much damage.

*fingers crossed*
snow report
the long-range forcasts from a few sources suggest that the freezing level could rise as far as 3500m so well above the highest areas of the PDS. Avoriaz will have over 2 metres of snow by then but I expect quite a lot will melt especially as some rain if forecast. Im out on 18th Feb for 12 days so hopefully ill be getting powder, my parents are out now getting powder! I use snow-forecast and Abondonce near Chatel often appears in the top 5 for new snow so you can get a free 6 day forecast although it doesnt quite represent the whole area.
snow report
I've just got back from Avoriaz (Montriond) area and a fabulous weekend. It started snowing on Friday night and didn't stop until about 2pm Saturday. I think the forecast was for 8cm but it dumped down loads more than that - I would say 30cms at least. There was snow low down as well - Morzine and Les Gets looked very snowy on the way out this morning. The sun was out again on Sunday and by the end of the day every bit of fresh powder had been tracked. I've never seen so many people off pistes! I believe more snow is forecast for later this week.
As a result of the good snow it was very busy with day trippers. Some friends drove back to the airport last night and it took them 4 hours! They missed their flight and had to stay over at the airport.
snow report
Oo er missus! Very Happy
snow conditions
No doubt about it .. freezing levels will be at 5000m ... everything will melt ; try and get your money back now.

No, some of the forecats are pretty gloomy , and yes it is a tad warmer than you might 'desire' in January but a lot could change over the next 3 days ..

oh .... and skiing today was brilliant.
snow conditions
Agenterre, i've booked a place to stay in Avoriaz. I have wheels - from what you're saying I cut my losses and find another resort. Is that the gist?
snow conditions
dandtd, no mate - I think he's joking... wink
snow conditions
SHED LOADS OF SNOW in Avoriaz and mOrzine- just back from a long weekend, conditions were fantastic in both resorts and even had 3 whole blue sky days!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Answer to a question I posed in the Weather Outlook thread...

Quote:
Quote:
carled, as we arrive in Avoriaz on Monday I am pleased I won't be swimming in too much slush... should I take my waders or will a healthy base of 1.5m hold up on the lower slopes?

ski-finder, unless there's a drastic change (highly unlikely) you'll find yourself in very cold and clear conditions I reckon... Gonna be frosty though... Skullie
snow report
red 27, when you get to my age the only joke is the thing between....whoops wrong forum. Had me going for a bit - guess I'm a we bit over excited and erm GULLIBLE!!!! Puzzled
snow report
dandtd, Panic ye not young man! I'm out in Avoriaz/PDS from 26th and it'll be great...it always is!
ski holidays
awksquawk wrote:
dandtd, Panic ye not young man!
Young!! No I AM the original BOF!
latest report
dandtd, red 27, Ooh ... Embarassed Embarassed .. even nonsense is now taken 'seriously'.

Sorry ..... too far out to say , but the 'heat' has been exaggerated over the last 6 weeks ... yes , it could melt ..... no. it's unlikely

PS .. I'm older than most

PPS .. snowing in Gstaad .. Smokin Joe now at 3/ 5 ..... with 2 to come ..
snow report
Back from skiing on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I skied in Chamonix on Friday, but had a look at the bottom of Melezes (under Perriers) on the way past on Friday morning and it looked pretty sketchy. Although, to be quite honest, it's much more usual to see the bottom of Melezes looking pretty crappy.

24 hours later and 15-20cm of snow transformed things. The early snow in Les Gets on Saturday can only be described as "dreamy". I'm not sure how to describe it, but Ben & Jerry's to Tesco's value ice cream should give you the idea. Even my ineptness on telemark kit couldn't hide how nice it was. How nice the runs were in the Les Gets bowl varied with steepness - the blues and reds were fab, but the blacks are showing signs of wear and the snow wasn't quite enough to stick. Hopefully they will have pisted the blacks to help the base recover. The reds and blues were, however, icy underneath - but should have pisted nicely by now.

I skied in the Linga area on Sunday - meeting up with zzz and Mrszzz for an hour or so. Once again, zzz turned up trumps and found us some fresh tracks - although, admittedly, the route to them did require "a certain degree of adventure and limited peril" Twisted Evil The hidden valley's in good shape - although there was some frozen avalanche debris under the fresh stuff that required careful attention to be paid to line. And some rather quick decision making at some points. The Christmas Trees were cut-up, but their usual great fun. But the lower bits of off-piste down to Linderats a tad too heavy for my tired legs by the time I hit it.

No pictures sorry - some idiot left his camera in the "other" bag rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

Once again, zzz turned up trumps and found us some fresh tracks - although, admittedly, the route to them did require "a certain degree of adventure and limited peril"

Always happy to oblige. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
0 sleeps to go. We're here! Snow looks reasonable and not too busy. Can't wait til the morning Happy CW
snow report
what were the roads up to avoriaz like (if that's where you are) or up to wherever you are (if it's not avoriaz) - I'm driving!!!
ski holidays
zzz, jealous. Le Tour windblown. And not particularly fun.
snow report
off to Les Gets on thursday 24th, heard the snow has been great but mini heatwave coming this weekend eeeekkkkk! Cool snowHead too freeze level at 3500m!!! Shocked Looking at the long range it appears cold comes back monday with heavy snow forcast all day and night on the tuesday snowHead , just waiting for the rest of the weeks forecast to become available Shocked now.
snow conditions
dlawless, Welcome to snowHead ..

Suggest youu take wake-board and Ray-Bans or tx your holiday to a >4700m resort, there are many available ....

( different me, ahem .. Loads of snow .. ignore the forecasts .. ENJOY!!)

Little Angel Confused Confused
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy