Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2014/2015 (Folks that a Wrap 2014/15 season)

Poster: A snowHead
@boabski, not sure whose playing at Picadilly, didn't recognise their name. Griabli was ok but a quiet week so pretty chilled, we like it too for all the same reasons. Maybe it was just a one off....still great music on non-band nights, all the rock classics at maximum volume from Helli! I liked Snowtones on the terrace later in the season Smile

@sah, ah, we leave on 7th so that wouldn't work. Yes if you call in the hotel there they have a desk there which is the Freeride centre, and a small shop too
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Redwine wrote:
@stanton, yes. At nassarain area. Hotel very close to nassereinbahn lift.

You know that for sure or what you been told?

PM me the Accom name then I can advise?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Folks. We got about 20cms new in Zurs since yesterday. Should
clean the boots...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do you (or anyone) know the Zurs off-piste ski route that goes down left at the bottom of Madlochbahn lift, just before the lift station @stanton, we traversed right off the top of the Madlochbahn then down the bowl and saw this disappearing off to the left at the bottom.....I assume it may go down to Lech, you can see it in the far distance? Looks like a great option for alternative run down rather than the pole up to the piste and back right down to Zurs?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Markymark29, Gamsroute? Never skied it but I've heard it's exposed and not to be take lightly. If you mean dropping lower perhaps it was Wiesele Kante (same link as above).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sah, Yeah, that sounds familiar, will take a look later and also get the trusty Thurner guide book out tonight, like you say pretty exposed I think, was tempted looking at the powder tracks going in but was skiing with 4 Irish guys without ABS and didn't want to take any risk/ responsibility at av level 3, took a view it was one for another day!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes that is Gamsroute. You have to be very carefull, self releasing slides from above can happen anytime.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@stanton, yeah, I remember a big slide there last season right down to the road I think, that's what put me off.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@gortonator, nice one I'll pm you nearer the time.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You may want to check out some really cool fotos taken last week over on the German forum

Zurs Lech Schrocken

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=52850&p=5015865&hilit=arlberg#p5015865

Stuben

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=52910&p=5016345&hilit=arlberg#p5016345
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@stanton, very nice pictures Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weather Outlook

It will become a lot milder from Tomorrow +C temperatures later in the week. Altitude should be good.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Coverage looks way better than when I was there toward the end of January. Hope things keep getting better out there too.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Back in St Anton from 04 - 08 March if anyone fancies meeting up.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So we have 2 meters of snow in 2 weeks in boston, all public transport shut down, and I (hopefully) board a plane in 2 days for st anton.

How's this fir itinerary. Sat, start at rendl and follow Stanton recommendations of early rendl then over to galzig ski around there and st Christophe for lunch, etc. I can ski to rendl from nassarain bahn, correct, at the start of the day?, maybe need to walk across the road?

Sunday, white ring, boogie over to aple Rauz in am, catch early bus to zurs and start tour. I think markymark gave me the low down on that. Lunch in oberlech, and get family back on bus to aple Rauz, and ski back to st anton/nassarain or maybe some mountain après

Monday - guide, let them decides

Tuesday, play it by ear, I should know the mountain better by then. Stuben or sonnenkopf? Probably quiet, is it worth it. Sledding at night!!!

Wednesday - guide again (I'm prolly alone with guide if anyone wants to tag along)

Thursday - last day, go back to our favorite places wherever that may be.

Doesn't sound like much time Sad. Blue bird though. Mrs red will be happy. Probably still plenty of good snow to be found. Critiques, suggestions, massively appreciated. No restayrant reservations yet, except tues night at the rodelalm restaurant, figure sledding night would make it crowded.
snow conditions
Quote:

I can ski to rendl from nassarain bahn, correct?

Yes, blue 20 then the home run all the way down (which is nice and quiet first thing) skis off at the bottom and walk across the road to the Rendlbahn. This is usually a Sunday plan (the busy day, so locals go to Rendl), Saturday is usually much quieter, so if I were staying in Nasserein I'd just head up from there, explore the Gampen side, then across to Galzig, St Christoph etc.

For Lech/Zurs, if you are up early consider getting the Post Bus to Zurs, it costs a few Euros but you'll get there sooner than if you ski to Rauz and take the free bus. I think there's a bus at about 8:30 from St Anton so you'll be skiing in Zurs before the locals get up. It's a minor pain from nasserein, you'll need to get the ski bus to the bus depot, and if yuor skis are in the store lockers overnight you'll need to be quick about fetching them (or do't leave them there overnight if you are planning an early start next day).

Sonnenkopf is good, but on your first (short) trip to the area I wouldn't bother, there's plenty to do closer to home. Stuben area is good, holds good snow on the N slopes and is quieter that the main areas, and there are nice places for lunch in Stuben itself Happy

Edit: Restaurant reservations - no rush, ask for advice in your hotel but for really good places you should reserve the night before. For really good traditional but high-end food I would recommend the Schwarzeradler. The Train is also good for Weinerschnitzel. For a true St Anton ski bum experience hike to the other end of town and queue for a table at Pizzeria Pomodoro or Pizzeria Floriani (further up the hill so slightly less busy). For a break from mountain food the Thai restaurant at the rail station is superb (with views over the indoor climbing wall too).
snow conditions
@Redwine, as @sah, says, I'd give Sonnenkopf a miss on such a tight trip. Lunch in Stuben good, also Cresta in Oberlech (last hotel on right as you pass through, great sunny terrace and views), also suggest Mainensee Hotel or Hospiz Alm in St Christoph for lunch.........no need to book unless it's mega busy. Don't underestimate the amount of skiing locally in Gampen/ Galzig and Rendl areas, you don't actually need to chase about, St Anton's reputation as the best lift served Freeride in Europe is not for nothing, there's stashes off most lifts. It soon gets tracked out, but if you get a snowfall midweek be up early and you wont need to look far. I differ from what @sah, says about the bus round to Zurs, easy to get Ski-bus from Rauz [head up Galzigbahn (or Nassereinbahn and Zammermoosbahn), up Tanzbodenbahn, up Arlenmahderbahn or Schindlerbahn, and then long piste down to Rauz......if you catch 08.45 first Galzig you can be down at Rauz by 09.30-09.45 latest] just make sure you get back for 16.15 by skibus to the bottom of Valfegehrbahn to back up, once at the top its all downhill, no more lifts to St Anton. Suggest apres at Galzigbistrobar on their terrace is very nice (next to roundabout in centre St Anton), as is Griabli (just above St Anton), Sennhutte and Rodelhutte also very good, so many others too.......another handy-hint - all main St Anton mountain-liftstations like Gampen, Kappallhutte, Galzig, Rendl have free wifi also.....good for coffee stops and a catch up). Also a word of warning - For goodness sake don't go down any of the big routes, Hinterrendl, Schoengraben, Torli, Valluga North, Mattunjoch and big north facing slabs at Rendl, Stuben etc etc without a guide......some massive terrain traps about, wind loaded slabs also, snow is very unstable this season, av risk is catagorised 3 at the moment.

Another vote for evening food for Pizza Floriani, also recommended - La Bodega (great Tapas main pedestrian precinct), Antony's downstairs (Argentinian Grill, main precinct), upstairs at Sport Pete (main precinct), Galzigbistrobar (as above), Griabli (200m up slopes via taxi), The Museum (100m up slopes).

Have a great trip - you'll love it. Then when home and reflecting ask yourself if Zug (very small village on the White Ring, off back of Madlochbahn at bottom of the itinery run) is not one of the most idyllic places you've ever seen?!Toofy Grin
latest report
@Redwine,

If your doing the WeisseRing and want to take lunch in the Sun away from the crowds. Easiest way without walking is take the Zugerbahn then ski back down the Ski route Zugertobel

Check out the Terrace in Zug

http://www.rotewand.com/en/wining-dining/terrace-winter.html
latest report
Is it advisable to take a guide to do the Langerzug run back to Lech from the top of the Rufikop cable car ?
Am I right in thinking that it is a groomed ski route ?
ski holidays
richardball wrote:
Is it advisable to take a guide to do the Langerzug run back to Lech from the top of the Rufikop cable car ?

It's a marked ski route, not sure but they may groom parts of it. No need for a guide, it's a controlled area.
snow conditions
@stanton, Quick question - when you come off the top of the Zug lift you can drop off immediately left opposite the champagne bar and through the trees, is this a protected/ out of bounds area, it joins the itinery lower down but may be a nature area?

@Redwine, Don't go into the big slab area on the right as you go up Zug chair-lift, it looks very tempting but is dangerous - that's where the Dutch Prince sadly had his accident in recent years, huge slab slide.
Also make sure you sit well back on take-off on the Zug chair - albeit I've never yet seen anyone going fishing for trout it gives me the jitters every time I can't pull the restraint down fast enough because my rucksack is pushing me forwards in the seat......you'll see what I mean! Laughing
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:

Also make sure you sit well back on take-off on the Zug chair - albeit I've never yet seen anyone going fishing for trout it gives me the jitters every time I can't pull the restraint down fast enough because my rucksack is pushing me forwards in the seat......you'll see what I mean! Laughing

Very Happy

Yes, you need to watch out when you are carrying rucksacks. Sometimes it's worth taking them off - a bit of a pain with ABS packs though due to the extra straps.

Same applies on the Schlosskopf chair, although unless you park there you'll probably never use that lift. I wonder what the fish make of all those ski poles that get dropped on them?
snow report
stanton wrote:

Check out the Terrace in Zug

http://www.rotewand.com/en/wining-dining/terrace-winter.html

Nice tip, not been there before!
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
@stanton, Quick question - when you come off the top of the Zug lift you can drop off immediately left opposite the champagne bar and through the trees, is this a protected/ out of bounds area, it joins the itinery lower down but may be a nature area?

If ascending the Zugerbahn all the trees areas left & right are protected (Big fines). Only follow the marked Extreme Ski route 49 "Zuppert" which descend down the left side of the lift to Zug.
snow report
sah wrote:
richardball wrote:

It's a marked ski route, not sure but they may groom parts of it. No need for a guide, it's a controlled area.

No Guide neccesary just a hip flask of schnaaps
snow report
Is the schnaaps to give me the courage to tackle it or to celebrate if I make it to the bottom without falling
ski holidays
@stanton, @sah, @Markymark29, and everyone else. thank you! thank you! thank you!
snow report
richardball wrote:
Is the schnaaps to give me the courage to tackle it or to celebrate if I make it to the bottom without falling

Good point, take 2 flasks, one for the courage one for the celebration Happy It can't be that steep can it? It's in Lech afterall Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

If ascending the Zugerbahn all the trees areas left & right are protected (Big fines).

Oops, was down there a few years ago, suspected that was a bad place to be, hence the question - lovely skiing though......
Embarassed
snow conditions
Thanks very much guys. Very Happy
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:

@Redwine, Don't go into the big slab area on the right as you go up Zug chair-lift, it looks very tempting but is dangerous - that's where the Dutch Prince sadly had his accident in recent years, huge slab slide.

For those who have not seen . This is a Dutch reconstruction/analysis of the 2012 Prinz Friso Avalanche in Zug

Although in Dutch it shows exactly where & why you should not ski there.

http://youtube.com/v/cdCAogjEb7A
ski holidays
Could of been a lot worse !

http://youtube.com/v/bMNo_JljyR8
latest report
stanton wrote:

Where abouts was that?
ski holidays
sah wrote:
stanton wrote:

Where abouts was that?

StarWars route in Stuben. You can see this place from Albona II lift. Left side
snow report
Einari78 wrote:
sah wrote:
stanton wrote:

Where abouts was that?

I thought the vent on Star Wars was way bigger than this though? Or is there more than one vent?
latest report
sah wrote:
Einari78 wrote:
sah wrote:
stanton wrote:

Where abouts was that?

I thought the vent on Star Wars was way bigger than this though? Or is there more than one vent?

Yes it is StarWars & that is the Concrete Avalanche breaker to protect the Air/Escape Vent . You can see in these foto's

snow report
stanton wrote:

Good grief. What a bunch of jongs! So much wrong with that whole scene. It would be a great training video to show to an avy class, of what not to do when skiing off-piste. Stay safe out there folks.

And don't ski underneath the Zug Chair!!!
snow report
Toadman wrote:
stanton wrote:

Good grief. What a bunch of jongs! So much wrong with that whole scene. It would be a great training video to show to an avy class, of what not to do when skiing off-piste. Stay safe out there folks.

And don't ski underneath the Zug Chair!!!

There's not a lot of awareness is there... looked like a couple of them just stopped to watch. I think I'd have pointed it and not stopped until I was well aware from that aspect.
ski holidays
Quote:

Yes it is StarWars & that is the Concrete Avalanche breaker to protect the Air/Escape Vent . You can see in these foto's

Ah, so it must have been filmed from just in front of the vent. I see.

When a slide like that occurs in a well-known area and/or crosses tracks I would assume it would be sensible to call the Bergretung and tell them that no one was buried, if it was seen later it could potentially trigger a search - is there a procedure for cases like that?
snow conditions
Blue Sky Day

Warm . +5C in town +2C on Galzig.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy