Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 15/16 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@langball, comes with a fairly strong health warning! Don't take it too seriously.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Charliegolf wrote:
I used to fly in the Air Force- met briefings were each day, for that day. Statistically, they got it right about 40% of the time. Moral? If you ignore the forecast, you might get what you want! snowHead

Seem to remember hearing once that, statistically, you're better off assuming that the weather one day will be similar to the previous day.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:
I used to fly in the Air Force- met briefings were each day, for that day. Statistically, they got it right about 40% of the time. Moral? If you ignore the forecast, you might get what you want! snowHead

Seem to remember hearing once that, statistically, you're better off assuming that the weather one day will be similar to the previous day.

I'll wait for the first decent dump of snow before I start following that rule Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@langball, the locals find the British obsession with the weather most amusing.

Apocryphally,

Brit walks into bar in January, "My word, it's perishingly cold out there".

Barman looks at him in surprise, "But M. what would you expect? it's January".

&c.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
18z has more precipitation for next week compared to 12z, still mild though
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
Sprinkling of snow forecast today for some places but the Les Saisies webcam shows it raining at 1650m. Might get a few flakes later as it cools down. Best we can hope for afterwards, for some days, is nights cold enough to blow some cannons.

How did things pan out? Quite a few resorts complaining that today's warm temps and rain have hammered their lower slopes.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like snow forecast for next Tuesday has already changed from snow to snow showers and higher FL:(
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowmageddon Part Deux: The Christmas Day Edition??? NehNeh

PDS -

Salzburgerland -
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It definitely looks like something or nothing...

time will tell.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can definitively say that it will finally dump on the 2nd of January. I know this because that's the day I go home from Livigno and have to drive half way across the alps Laughing Thanks to the knowledgeable ones who contribute here, always makes interesting reading.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This morning actually sees an increase in the possible snowfall next week for some areas, although I'm not completely convinced as some of it looks a bit spiky.

The op run for Christmas should obviously not be read as a forecast...

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 10-12-15 18:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@nozawaonsen, yet! Hence the NehNeh

Though if it continues to be repeated as it was in the 18z last night for perhaps a week maybe we can get a little excited.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

some of it looks a bit spiky.

doesn't some of it looks a bit warmy, too? Yesterday few cms of snow was a few mm of rain in Les Saisies at 1650, davidof. It was wet (not hammering down though) all day, judging by the front de neige webcam. According to the website they've lost no snow in the last 5 days but who'd believe that?
A continuation of a blocking high, with some sunshine, would be infinitely preferable to having it p!ssing down for days.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
looks like santa might have got my letter, cold temps and a sack load of snow Wink

hope he doesn't loose the letter between now and then
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Meanwhile back in the UK the torrential rain continues. Sad Sad Sad Towns in Cumbria have flooded for the second time in 5 days.

Last night Oscar had his end of term time trial at Hillend and the conditions were atrocious. I suspect if the time trials and trialist tests hadn't been on they would have shut the place. It was so windy that the rain had gone beyond horizontal and was starting to go back up again. Toofy Grin The rain was even too much for his Leki Gore-Tex Race gloves as they were soaked through and about three times their normal weight. They've been sitting on the warming plate of the AGA all night and while the outside are now dry the insides are still wet so they've gone on the boot/glove dryer. The crazy thing was that once they had completed their 2 times runs he and his friends all went off to ski more!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

By the looks of the forecast it would appear that we are going to enjoy blue skies and good conditions in Tignes this weekend. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Where have you found cold temps, @Little Martin? GFS looking distinctly warm, I thought?
snow report
It's an emotional rollercoaster, i can't handle it any more. I'm flouncing..
snow report
I've become more interestedin /excited about checking the latest here each morning than the contents of the day's window on the chocolate advent calendar. Virtually unprecedented situation...
latest report
ECM has it colder than gfs next week. Europe v the USA.,,, like the Ryder cup
snow conditions
@pam w, 3v's

around Christmas temps start to drop off below average still FI though, so anything can happen....
ski holidays
What's FI?
snow report
Charliegolf wrote:
What's FI?

Fantasy Island - an imaginary place where it always snows when you want, and get bluebird powder days when you want.
snow report
@Charliegolf, fantasy island ......... "the plane .. the plane " Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@hollando, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Ah, the place where Swansea will beat Barcelona 5-0 in the Champions' League Final. That FI!
ski holidays
@Charliegolf, sounds like you definitely do not want **bluebird** powder days.
snow report
@dobby, very very good! Laughing
ski holidays
@AthersT, I am a Forest fan living in Cardiff. When we lost to the ****** earlier this season I got jip from the world and his wife. Everyone.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Little Martin wrote:
@pam w, 3v's

around Christmas temps start to drop off below average still FI though, so anything can happen....

This map is for Aple d'Huez region. Lat/Lon 46,7 tends to be used for 3 valleys although it sort of falls inbetween.
latest report
3v's has several it can choose from, Couchevel is Latitude : 45.4167 Longitude : 6.65
ski holidays
Well, in the hope that there's some snow about on 17th, when I drive down, I've topped up the windscreen wash, done my annual snowchain practice (5 minutes from a standing start, chains in boot) and laid in a stock of cheap and nasty chocolate (because then I'll only eat it in a proper emergency).

If I have to stop in the dark to put the chains on my winter tyres, I'll be ecstatic!
snow conditions
and surprised.....
snow conditions
Little Martin wrote:
3v's has several it can choose from, Couchevel is Latitude : 45.4167 Longitude : 6.65

Someone posted this a while back, it's the "surrounding" four ensembles on one page, which i quite liked.

http://www.talesfromthesavoy.com/ensembles.htm
snow report
@pam w, and will you eat all the chocolate?
ski holidays
@alj, Nope, that's for emergencies. Stopping for a few minutes to put snowchains on is not an emergency - in the circumstances it would be a pleasure. Though I'd be looking forward to treating myself to a glass of brandy on arrival after driving from home in the UK!
latest report
@pam w, I'm not so hot on weather forecasts, but I could forecast the fate of any chocolate hanging around in my car with a high degree of certainty.
snow conditions
@pam w, just checking what constitutes an emergency! We call the same cheap choc - "anti-grizzle".

Back to the weather I can remember being in Les Gets for new year a few years back (10 or so) and it rained all day solidly all day on new year's eve and day washing the lower pistes away and then it snowed for the next 12 hrs solid - Mont Chery went from completely green to thigh high snow. What a difference a day makes.
ski holidays
alj wrote:
@pam w, just checking what constitutes an emergency! We call the same cheap choc - "anti-grizzle".

Back to the weather I can remember being in Les Gets for new year a few years back (10 or so) and it rained all day solidly all day on new year's eve and day washing the lower pistes away and then it snowed for the next 12 hrs solid - Mont Chery went from completely green to thigh high snow. What a difference a day makes.

this
snow report
Might someone post a fabulous, snowlicious version of the graphic a few posts above this one; so I can see what to get excited about please. Ta.

As in, what does snowmaggedon look like one one.
latest report
@Charliegolf, it needs lots of activity on the lower set of ensembles (precipitation) - all near enough lining up, which means pretty close certainty. Coupled with the ensembles on the top part agreeing that it will be cold (on or preferably below the red (average temperature) line.

When you get the bottom right with the top lines rather uncertain and on average above the red line (as above) it's really not good news unless you are staying at 3000m or are a duck. wink

Top lines looking cold (below the red line) and absolutely nothing happening on the bottom (as for the next few days in the graph above) it's reasonably good news as it's likely to be sunny and cold enough to blow snow.

When the ensembles are all over the place, with no sign of them sticking together, it's anybody's guess.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy