Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2014/2015 (Folks that a Wrap 2014/15 season)

Poster: A snowHead
@Markymark29, sounds great, guess you've not been to Sonnenkompf either then??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Not been down to Stuben yet

You've got to stop for lunch in s'Murmel at least once Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Markymark29, ahh. Alas back in boston on 21st. Only a week for us unfortunately. Sounds like u are having an absolutely incredible time. Warming up by the time we arrive. I hope there is a decent dump sometime while we are there, but happy that things have turned so dramatically since December.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sah, tomorrow, shhhh wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kitenski, Sonnenkopf is best option for bad weather tree days, so not needed this week, the snow and weather has been so good, never even done Lech.......off-piste in Zurs was just so good we couldn't be bothered to go down to Zug (that's unknown, it's usually a trip highlight).....stopping off in Sonnenkopf on the drive round from Warth to St Anton on 28th February, either there or Damuels, however midweek is best in Sonnenkopf because weekends is busy mobbed out with kids though, great skiing but so many other options.....happy days in Arlberg/ Vorarlberg, never seen so many happy faces! Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Redwine, oh that's a shame......I was never concerned regards the snow, it never lets us down, you've just got to know when to go - those farmers know what's going on! wink have a great trip, we've saved you some pow!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow Paradise awaits you folks! Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anyone there the week starting the 22nd feb?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mt, I'm round in Warth and skiing mostly Warth/ Lech and Zurs that week.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cool, I wong be skiing much off piste as the friend I'll be with isn't that good off piste yet. I'm not poo-poo hot either but plugging away.

Maybe we could meet up in lech or warth for a blast and a beer.

Never skied warth, is it worth heading over?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Slightly off topic. What's the quickest route by car from Munich by car to st Anton? Heading there 28/2 and will be landing midday, do guessing the main routes will be pretty rammed.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@boabski, I'd take the motorway route via Kufstein and Innsbruck. You can take a more direct route via Garmisch, but those small roads get pretty busy on weekends. Heading S. on the motorways on an afternoon shouldn't be too bad around Munich, it's worse coming back on a weekend afternoon. Traffic from Innsbruck might be busy but I don't recall seeing major jams on that section.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Headed there feb 28 too. AAnother off topic q but i would like to do a couple of daysor hours snowboard lessons in the snowpark in rendl. Any recommendations? Thanks...
And wheres a good place to do a big shop for the week?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We arrive in the morning, should hopefully be on the hill by 1pm.

Could anyone recommend a couple of slopes to get us back into the swing of things? All Snowboarders so nothing too flat if possible Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Headed to Ishgl Feb 28th. Rather looking forward to it.
latest report
russ_e wrote:
We arrive in the morning, should hopefully be on the hill by 1pm.

Could anyone recommend a couple of slopes to get us back into the swing of things? All Snowboarders so nothing too flat if possible Smile

Rendl area - all the groomers are pretty straightforward, no surprises, not long. The blues are easy, the reds are steeper but easy enough and the black is steep but well groomed.
snow report
sah wrote:
@boabski, I'd take the motorway route via Kufstein and Innsbruck. You can take a more direct route via Garmisch, but those small roads get pretty busy on weekends. Heading S. on the motorways on an afternoon shouldn't be too bad around Munich, it's worse coming back on a weekend afternoon. Traffic from Innsbruck might be busy but I don't recall seeing major jams on that section.

Actually given the 100kmh speed restrictions on much of that route, I'd go the other way via Memmingem, Dornbirn, Feldkirch.

I'm at ISPO at the moment, and driving here on German autobahns was a real pleasure after all the restrictions on many of the Austrian roads right now.

Edit: Actually maybe not - it's still quite a long way round. Little point going via Kufstein though as between Kufstein and roughly Zirl you're limited to 100, and then around Ötztal the limit drops back to 100 again all the way to St Anton.

I'm not sure if google maps is taking those restrictions into account with their times...
ski holidays
@clarky999, in that case the cross country route via Garmisch and Fern pass is the best bet? It's certainly scenic Happy
snow report
@boabski, I'd just stick with the Munich/ Innsbruck/ Arlberg autobahn, ok it's 100kph but it moves freely. Fern Pass etc us a real pain at peak times, it's 6 and 2 3's IMO.
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
@boabski, I'd just stick with the Munich/ Innsbruck/ Arlberg autobahn, ok it's 100kph but it moves freely. Fern Pass etc us a real pain at peak times, it's 6 and 2 3's IMO.

Fern pass route gives you the chance to take a look up at Neue Welt on the Zugspitze and stroke your chin pensively... Although when I was there last week it was so socked in I didn't see anything.
latest report
Folks

Cold blast from Scandinavia & Snow expected Sunday night ... POW Monday Very Happy
latest report
stanton wrote:
Folks

Cold blast from Scandinavia & Snow expected Sunday night ... POW Monday Very Happy

I hope so, bergfex is calling for 6cm....do hope your farmers know better snowHead
snow conditions
@Mt, A group of us are in Lech that week, so we're be all over the Arlberg. We skied Warth last year for the first time in decent but low snow conditions for there. I suspect with a good base an freshies it could be wild, and hopefully not too busy, especially midweek. Always game for beers/whatever.
latest report
Thanks for all the tips folks. Are the snowtones playing this year? Emailed hage and said they'd stopped playing griabli Sad
ski holidays
What a fantastic week, just been watching GOPRO footage sat in a bar in Munich.....best conditions since January '13, awesome weeks' skiing..... Toofy Grin
snow report
@boabski, not seen them this year, sadly Griabli house band (Monday and Wednesday) was a bit lame......Gunar was playing in Murrmel, always thought he was a tad dated and was busy enjoying a Stiegel after a difficult 15 minute trip round the next door Spar supermarket.......he started tuning up so we moved on, prefer it in there without the music (go in there and check out the his/hers door signs on the WC's.....can't stop laughing at them!!). Good atmosphere in Kandahar this late afternoon (what a dump) for the Italy v Ireland rugby, called in there to meet pals before depart to Munich......as always après in town always very special, some very nice places and fun folks too.... Toofy Grin
latest report
OK Folks the snow has started early Very Happy
snow report
Looks like I might have some bluebird skiing next week. Hope this storm is bigger than they are predicting. Question. We arrive by rail, and have to get a little past naassarain. Is the shuttle buses free, or do I need to show a lift pass? It might be a little bit far to walk with all the luggage?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Redwine, during the day the bus is free but there's a fare in the evening. It's a short walk from the train station to the main terminal. I travel on the free bus with luggage, no problem.
ski holidays
@Redwine, It's definitely a long walk to Nasserein with luggage, doable but not ideal. The ski bus is completely free, no need to show a pass, but I'm not sure they stop at the rail station. As @Kelskii, said it is not far to the bus terminal, only a couple of minutes even with luggage. Failing that there are taxis, they're not cheap but at least they'll get you to the door (@stanton, will be along in a minute to tell you why you shouldn't use the taxis Happy )
ski holidays
I think the Post bus stops at the station, but not the shuttle (?).

Anyway here's the timetable for the Nasserein bus.

http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/images/stories/pdf-dateien/fahrplaene-so-wi/winter2014-15/Linie4Vollbetrieb.pdf

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 8-02-15 18:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
What is the shuttle? There is a shuttle and a bus? The bus is free from the bus depot nonetheless? save on taxi and have another beer.
snow report
@Redwine, shuttle = ski bus = free bus (during the day at least).

There are 2 types of buses in St Anton though, the free ones and then there are the public Post Buses that run between towns in Austria (e.g. from St Anton to Stuben or St Christophe). The Post Bus is not really any use to you anyway in this case, just take the number 4 to Nasserein.
latest report
@Redwine, like @sah, says. The train station and bus terminal are very close (300m), the shuttle bus you want is the number 4 (see timetable above) or the number 2.

http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/images/stories/pdf-dateien/fahrplaene-so-wi/winter2014-15/Linie2Vollbetrieb.pdf

I think the only bus that stops at the train station is the post bus (not the shuttle bus).

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 8-02-15 18:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Redwine,

Where are you staying in Nasserein?
snow report
Can any recommend a guide/instructor based in Stüben? We're staying there in early March and are thinking about booking someone for a day or 2 for off piste skiing with some tuition too if possible. If we were in St Anton I'd get in touch with p2p or Franz Trimmel, but it might be a bit easier if there's someone based in Stüben.
snow report
@stanton, yes. At nassarain area. Hotel very close to nassereinbahn lift.
ski holidays
@sah, the guy who runs Garni Hotel in Stuben is a good guide, ATITM (?) registered....I'll see if I can dig out his details for you? I'll be there that week too, be good to catch a few turns wink
latest report
@Markymark29, Shame the band at griabli are lame. Some of the best times in my life have been spent in there after a great days skiing followed by several pints of kaiserbier and the CCJ's or Snowtones playing. Anything happening in picadilly late afternoon?
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
@sah, the guy who runs Garni Hotel in Stuben is a good guide, ATITM (?) registered....I'll see if I can dig out his details for you? I'll be there that week too, be good to catch a few turns wink

That figures, the garni is also the freeride centre I think. I'll ask in there. We arrive Sat 7th, would be good to meet up. We'll be popping in to town some evenings too, so could get an apres beer then.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy