Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow

Poster: A snowHead
firstracks, very nice.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the comments folks - appreciated Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm off to Nevis tomorrow nothing too spectacular just for a few laps of the summit runs and goose I may even head down back track but the walk out isn't inspireing... hope to top up my tan though Cool
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
firstracks, Awesome. Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snow on its way to Scotland next week.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
firstracks, not very mountainous though eh?! Laughing Laughing

lots of ticks this year, congrats

(must've been a killer in that heat at the weekend?)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Now for that Loch A'an Express Quad ! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Same day and area, less extreme coire from Jamie's Very Happy

720m of descent, if only there was another quad chair for the Lairig Ghru!

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thinking of going to Cairngorm on the 24th April.

I guess therev will still be coverage. Anybody seen a long range forecast or been up in the last week - mainly heavy/wet snow now?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all! Very Happy

I put a proper write-up on my blog here incase anybody is interested Smile

barry wrote:
(must've been a killer in that heat at the weekend?)

Yes! I ended up just having to burn all my clothes, I don't think washing them would have removed the smell of sweat. And lets face it, looking at my jacket it would probably be for the best anyway Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
and Mike I would love to ski Taillear's - but it is a long way out! Perhaps as part of a 2 day trip... (in the pipeline) we will see snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Andythejock, Was up Fri and Sat. Mainly heavy and wet on piste then, but may firm up of course. But weather was fab Saturday. I guess you can't have it all ways at Easter. Plenty of snow, both width and depth. Their best season for years. Regards.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cool. Will wait a few days and watch Cgm Mtn website, then see if the Nethybridge Hotel will do us a 7.30am breakfast (which they always argue about as they normally start at 8am! Shocked ).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the entrance to Aladdin's coulour looks SERIOUSLY steep...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Was at Nevis today- there is still wide cover on the summit runs goose and east wall of the goose. The tow is now loading at T4 although the tow track is complete to the bottom.
Where pisted ie summit run and sidewinder it was nice spring snow. The other summit runs didn't soften untill 2pm then they were great as well. I left at 3.30pm and the goose was still quite firm at this point it may have come nice later in the day.... back corries were posted as closed.

It's still possable to ski out to the bottom via allt snechda and the snow was quite nice lower down but it's getting narrow in one or two places...

...oh there were 6 other people skiing/ boarding untill after lunch when the number jumped to maybe 25... and it was wall to wall sun Cool
ski holidays
billb, Have you seen the May bank holiday thread? On Snow eVents. If you want to come and want a lift, let me know.
ski holidays
Whay hey, that was a day and a half - great lesson today and simply gorgeous weather and great snow which froze solid overnight and came good during the day. The cover is quite simply amazing at the moment on Cairngorm and there's apparently another half metre due over the weekend - simply WOW!

Ended the day with the Cairngorm instructors race which Martin Bell (who is skiing the mountain at the moment 'coz it's so blooming great!) also competed in. Martin is over from Colorado at the moment and seemed very impressed by the conditions we have! He was faster than me, no surprise, but was beaten by former racer Emma Norton so nice one Emma! The race was set by BASI founder and pioneer of Scottish skiing Hans Kuwall which was a bit of a WOW for me (I remember being in awe of these guys) and it was a real privilege to rub shoulders with some genuine skiing greats!
latest report
roga, Sounds great - is that Mike Norton's daughter?
ski holidays
easiski, not sure her sister is Sarah Norton who is still currently racing - I believe the family is based in Carrbridge.
ski holidays
Quote:
boardiac wrote:
the entrance to Aladdin's coulour looks SERIOUSLY steep...

It can be if you take a high line Very Happy

snow report
HighRustler, Shocked Shocked Shocked

roga, Sounds like them. Mike was chief instructor of the Nethybridge ski school when it started. The first (and probably only) ski school with ALL qualified instructors.
ski holidays
Scottish weather experts do you think the snow expected this weekend will be bumper due to a seeding effect from the Volcanic ash ????
snow report
A perfect bluebird spring day on CairnGorm Mountain on Wednesday, I'll let the photo of the White Lady tell you the story.. snowHead

More pix from CairnGorm on Wed: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=636

Glencoe on Mon: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=634
Glencoe on Sun: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=633

On the weather front, not sure if it's volcanic ash driven or not, but the forecast models have gone all over the place atm. There had been a great trend for near perfect conditions for good spring riding here, bursts of April Snow showers on North winds intermixed with periods of dry sunny weather. Alas the 00z GFS has now gone off on horror show mode, instead of Northern Blocking, our high sinks SE, pulling in ever warmer and wetter SW'lys for 10days culminating in 5000ft temps of +13[c] with rain... Plenty of time for a major reversal as the ensembles suggest the GFS hasn't a clue with a near 20c spread in predicted outcomes later in the runs....

Met Office extended outlook still promising. Short term, GFS went off on one a couple of days ago predicting close to 40cm of snow, at the moment looks like we might get a few inches of fresh out of the weekend /early next week, maybe more, either way with the base firming up and new snow on top it should give a spell of good mid-winter conditions as we head towards late April.
ski holidays
Ta winterhighland - the Lady looks good - I hope to ski "her" on the 24th!

What's GFS btw?
snow conditions
anyone know if its possible to still get down ciste gully to the ciste car park? was gonna go mid week, so no shuttle bus. cheers
snow report
Thinking about Glencoe/Nevis tomorrow, any idea about the weather? Looking to avoid cloud.
latest report
easiski, Thanks for the offer but won't be able to Sad But do enjoy it Smile
latest report
bitoffluff, not all the way on ski. The Ciste Gully is complete till below the foot of the old Aonach Poma, after there the snow runs out and it's about a 5 minute walk, till the snow restarts in the really narrow part of the Gully near the carpark where you can slide out to the bridge at the carpark.

The lack of the West Wall Chairlift or Aonach Poma at the moment is a major pain in the rear end. Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
have to say, next fridays trip up to the Cairngorm is looking rather unlikely!!!
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, do you even look at forecasts or do you just indulge in wild speculation? Lots of snow forecast this week (as it stands).
ski holidays
Working on the tan again on CairnGorm Mountain on Friday afternoon, but it's time to swap the T-shirts and shades for the winter gear for the weekend!

^Looking up the (in)famous Coire Cas Gunbarrel, rather tame atm, the bumps are being dozed out every night.

^Ptarmigan Terrain Park in the Ptarmigan Bowl from the Ciste Fairway.

^Building a rider X course in the Ptarmigan Bowl, looking down on the Ptarmigan Tow.

Turning distinctly colder during Saturday with the daytime freezing level dropping below the lower slopes, could be a few inches of fresh for Sunday if some of the forecast models have it right. The Rider X course being built is going to be a hell of a lot faster on Sunday than Saturday morning I think!

Daily snowsports continues till and including Monday 3rd May on CairnGorm. If the weather plays ball, end of week and weekend riding maybe offered beyond that.

Nevis Range and Glencoe also remain open, Nevis will be closed during the week from Monday. Glencoe was going to open next week, but after only selling 19 tickets today, sliding during next week is in doubt. Sad The call will be made on Saturday, but either Glencoe will be open Sat 24/Sun 25th and there is a sponsored ride in the Main Basin on behalf of Macmillan Cancer Support, see www.glencoemountain.co.uk .
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder, honestly, you're driving yourself mad!! There's still tons and tons and tons and tons and tons of snow, it's ski anywhere above mid-mountain.

Your statement of "unlikely" for next week is wrong, completely wrong. There is guaranteed snow cover, so unless there are big storms/winds that restrict uplift (which can happen anytime of the year), then there will be skiing. I can see the hill out my bedroom window and honestly it could be mid-winter in terms of cover. Your fannying and completely baseless and untrue statements about conditions is actually potentially putting punters off so give it a rest eh. Take a look at the reports and pics from the past week, couple that with lowering temperatures and potential dumps in the forecast, then have a kit-kat and get ready for skiing!!

Madeye-Smiley Laughing
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, Like others have said, theres that much snow up there, there is nothing to worry about.. I've been in the alps at times when theres been no cover and its been February and so on.. The top station's windows were covered When I was up there and the you could nearlly touch some of the tow pilons.. its that deep!

Chill out and take a pair of frogskins and a beach towel when you do head up Cool
latest report
Nevis Range have just announced on their website that they would potentially be stopping skiing operations after tomorrow, real shame. Hopefully they work something out for next weekend.
snow conditions
before Rick has conniptions, Nevis potentially closing is down to lack of punters, not lack of snow, you can still ski top to bottom over there. It's a shame but cant blame them really if no-one is showing up. Cairngorm dont have this problem as badly though it does often become a factor - they are fully committed to going until at least the bank holiday though, that weekend itself should be a good laugh with a bit of a party on the hill usually
latest report
This was posted by 'eagles' on Winterhighland, from Wednesday...
snow conditions
From the radar and the SSC Hut balcony earlier it looks like there's been around 4 inches of fresh on CairnGorm Mountain overnight. A couple of inches also at Glencoe and Nevis.
latest report
Good day at Nevis today. Must have been around 20 people on the hill when we left at 2pm. Plenty snow down to tower 4 with about 5cm windblown/overnight fresh, more in places and scraped in others.

Nevis Range have promised to review the closing situation in light of this weeks weather but aren't promising anything. They say that the bank holiday may tempt them to open for a one off.

Still hoping to get a few more days this season. Cairngorms next weekend is on.
snow report
arv, Was it still possible to ski down to the resto and gondola at Nevis on Sun? If not, how close could you get?
snow report
Whitegold, my brother managed to get within about 50m of the top of the gondola via Home Run and Yockies. You can ski to where the bridge is on the way to the 4man chair. The gully is still completely full with snow although starting to collapse in places. It must be nearly 2m deep in places and the forecast this week is still looking favourable.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy