Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2007/8

Poster: A snowHead
Its behind Avoriaz, to ski to it at the moment you drop off the back (off piste) down into the Valley de la Manche. Probably not on the piste map. Only way back at the moment is to leave a car at the end of the road, then drive back into morzine

Its a great off piste run. Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Roy Hockley, The guide we were using had said that due to the age of the old 2 man chair it wasn't worth it/to much trouble keeping it going and as a result was going to be shut down. They put forward plans for a couple of new chairs summer 2006, including a replacement for the one I'm talking about, but they didn't agree on time to schedule the work. I'd have thought that it would be stupid to close a chair as important as this for one and leave the area without a direct link for just one season, but who knows!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stevew, it may have been marked as an itinerary - although in retrospect I don't think it will have been. Takes you from the top of the Fornet chair down into the vallee de la manche. THere's an excellent restaurant (Crappahutte) near the bottom. I say near as the route can end in a few places.

If you don't know where you're going don't do it. THere are a good number of seemingly innocuous pitches that are prone to avalanche. And many ways to go that involve embarrassing walks back uphill to get out.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thread drift alert - possibly should be new topic started in Resorts ?

Re Mines D'Or - its not marked as itineraire from Avoriaz but the Vallee de la Manche is marked as cross country skiing.

Would there be thoughts about another lift up the other side of the valley to the Pointe de Nyon ? Then you could ski direct to Avoriaz from Les Gets without the trek (or train) across town to the Super Morzine bubble.

PDS is a great area with loads of possibilities !
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers guys can now see where you're talking about
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi hope Santa was good to all you snowHead out there ! Mrs Retro-Santa was certainly good to me! In fact my Bro gave me a pair of old wood & Leather ski poles ready to go on the wall with my Morzine lift poster!

Not out till 9th Feb but been cam and forum watching since end Nov. Was interested to know how the pistes hold up in the dry but cold spell like you've been having. No snow for 2 weeks and no serious dumpation on the horizon. Would it be right to assume as long as it remains cold, the pistie men and snow cannons can keep at least the pistes fresh?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
any updates from anyone out there at the mo?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bertie bassett, 5cm ish of new snow in town this morning. Some more forecast later in the week. Pistes all holding up well. Links all open. I haven't managed a ski since Christmas Day. Nasty flu bug and then lots of changeovers!! Popping over to Lindarets for a quick ski today. Will keep you all posted.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bertie bassett, we had 10-15 cms on our steps in Chatel this morning. I spent the morning skiing in La Chapelle which is lower than Chatel (at about 1000m) and the pistes and off piste were both lovely.

I'm skiing Pre La Joux/Linga/Avoriaz tomorrow so will try and report back from there tomorrow afternoon...

All in all, conditions v good (50 cms at the bottom of Chatel/160 cms at the top).

Ed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi seemed like it took us ages to drive through to Morzine from the uk last year, others are allways saying it takes them only 8Hrs, it took us all of 10+ Confused

What is the best route for us to take from Calais.

We are going to leave early on Friday this year to try to get there early on the Saturday morning staying over night about 150 KM away from the resort. Can any one recomenned a place to stay.

WE would look to be getting up early on the saturday and be having breakfast in Morzine Little Angel
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
See you there on saturday...I'm getting quite excited..
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
just got back from 3 days skiing. Awesome conditions!! Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Got back late on Sunday night...fantastic week with Snow & Trek...conditions were still fabulous.

Drive down was a bit of a mare .... over 2 hours on the Reims bypass (took about 5 minutes to do the same distance on the return) and a skid in the Chatillon tunnel resulting in a near flip and 1300 euro's of damage. Made the last 30 miles of the journey very slow and painful...overall time on trip out was approx 18 hours. Drive home much more straight forward...13 hours door to door (Morzine to Portsmouth) with a nice long lunch stop.

Out of 10 of us 8 of us were sick at least a day out of the week..and one of the party broke a toe in the hot tub!

In-spite of all of it we had a fantastic week starting out everyday at the Ardent bubble and skiing all over the resort. Morzine town looked particularly pretty covered in snow.

I was particularly pleased as it was my first ski back after a serious knee injury last January and I managed (albeit carefully and slowly) to get out everyday and ski the whole area.

Flat & sad to be home Sad and just wondering if we can possibly squeeze a cheap deal in in March.

Will keep watching the snow reports.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rolling eyes Relating to the previous page- PDS or not? Avoriaz-hmm! Interesting discussion guys!!! From a distance it takes on the perspective of a group of six year olds maintaining that they have the better toy because it makes more noise! Grow up and stop getting so strung out over which resort has to be the ultimate area as it a) has more altitude and b) because you may have had some good powder days there. Remember terrain makes a good resort, the more varied the better and that can be low or high, bearing in mind that some great and challanging skiing can be found within the trees (therefore lower altitude). Does powder have to be "dry" and "light" to alow you to have fun and have a challanging yet worthwhile run, NO!!!

Get off your pedastols and share some good moments wherever they were.........Enjoy!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Welcome to snowHeads weeman. Not sure I read the same into the discussion, but there you go. Welcome anyway and your sentiment is spot on.

Apologies for lack of posts - we don't have our neighbour's broadband any more (rolling eyes) - and I didn't want to take however small a risk of losing the (contents of the) laptop in a bar with WiFi.

Photos and report tomorrow - once I've sorted through the photos.
latest report
PhillipStanton, Looks like the rain is on its way?
snow report
chrisb, certainly does. Looks truly grim next week; we are seriously considering postponing our drive out. Stay here and get some jobs done rather than watch 3 inches of rain washing all the snow away! On the other hand, we could read some good books and drink some good wine. Decisions, decisions....
latest report
go on some one tell me the route you all take to get out there Smile
latest report
I go however my satnav takes me. A26 --Reims-->Troyes-->A5-->A31-->A39-->A40-->Geneva-->Cluses-->Taninges-->Les Gets-->Morzine

http://www.viamichelin.com/
snow report
And the weather doesn't look that bad. Just need the freezing level to drop 1000m.
snow conditions
docto eeyoe

many thanks that is the route i took last year so i guess there is no short cut Sad .

Cheers
snow report
Quote:

the weather doesn't look that bad. Just need the freezing level to drop 1000m.

doctor_eeyore, you're right. What's a 1000m between friends?
snow conditions
bigtoe, people who say they can get down to the resorts in 8 hours are either mad drivers (too fast, not enough stops to be safe) or lying. It's 888km, and not (quite) all on motorway. That's 8 hours at an average speed equal to the motorway speed limit in wet weather. Plus stops. If you did it in 10, that was good going. With bad weather - for example a bit of snow or fog on the autoroute, or having to put chains on, nearer the resort, it could take longer. Unless you are going at a very busy time, just see where you get to, then look for a hotel off one of the motoray exits into a reasonable sized town. There are usually plenty to be found.
ski holidays
Pam W

Thanks we are gon to come on the 8th Feb so a busy time I am afraid. Kids and school holidays. I think i'll have a look a something around Geneva so we could poss go into own for a meal that night.

To be honest i think it took us 12 hours from Calais to Morzine but the weather was horrendous with torrental rain the whole way. It didn't stop in Morzine either unfortunatly.

I'll get the old map out Very Happy
ski holidays
After loads of debate it's Morzine on Saturday for a week - great. Potential dampness doesn't worry us, we're Scottish so used to skiing rain, heather, mud..

Any top tips for an Avoriaz/Morzine guide would be useful.

Paul/Margaret
snow report
bigtoe, someone else on Snowheads was looking for accommodation for that Friday night, and I think he found everything pretty full, so probably sensible to find somewhere you can book. People who do the A40 on busy days say it's best to get beyond the two toll gates very early (they also say that having telepeage) cuts down the waiting a lot. You might want to look for somewhere in Cluses or Taninges. Then you can get up to Morzine ahead of the traffic. (not that you're likely to be able to get into accommodation till later).
However you look at it, there just isn't any easy way to get to ski resorts with kids at half term. Good luck, hope you have better weather this year! snowHead
snow report
paulmags, i Skid les gets 2 yrs ago and its blooming great ai! dont worry about the dampness- due to its close proximity to the beast( mt blanc) it has a micro climate and when other places have rain itl snow in this area. Have a great time and if it the weather does go pete tong head for avoriaz, many slopes will be above 2000m and with all the precip forecast iyl be POWWDDAA TTIMMMEEE... Twisted Evil Toofy Grin Enjoy and have a great time.
snow report
ok map is out. Has any one tried going down the N5 from DOLE to GENEVE. Looking on the map it looks as if you can cut out a fair corner
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
just realised it goes up high so maybe not a good idea don't fancy getting the snow chains out to often Toofy Grin
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
bigtoe, someone else on Snowheads was looking for accommodation for that Friday night, and I think he found everything pretty full, so probably sensible to find somewhere you can book. People who do the A40 on busy days say it's best to get beyond the two toll gates very early (they also say that having telepeage) cuts down the waiting a lot. You might want to look for somewhere in Cluses or Taninges. Then you can get up to Morzine ahead of the traffic. (not that you're likely to be able to get into accommodation till later).
However you look at it, there just isn't any easy way to get to ski resorts with kids at half term. Good luck, hope you have better weather this year! snowHead

Cheers this Telepeage is it easy to get hold of, do you need a Fench bank account?
snow report
We're in Morzine on thursday night - long weekend so..... how's it looking?

Forecast is for snow toward the end of the week. Could really do with bringing this forward to mon / tues / weds, and arranging for some sunshine fri / sat / sun.
snow report
doctor_eeyore wrote:
I go however my satnav takes me. A26 --Reims-->Troyes-->A5-->A31-->A39-->A40-->Geneva-->Cluses-->Taninges-->Les Gets-->Morzine

http://www.viamichelin.com/

Did exactly this last Friday, and the journey back home yesterday. Les Gets not Morzine.

From/to the French end of the tunnel it took us just over 9 hours on the way out and closer to 8 coming back. This with 2 decent stops in each direction as our party included 3 kids in one car and a 7 month old baby in the other (mine). We travelled at a steady 90-95mph on the motorway without standing out from the indigenous traffic.....
snow conditions
Same here. I'm in morzine Friday to Monday, hoping the rain hasn't ruined all the snow on the lower slopes too much!!!!
latest report
Slopes were generally in good nick on Friday and forecast is snow/rain limit 1,200 when the precipitation arrives. So nothing really to worry about. As usual.
ski holidays
It has p*ssed it down with rain on the village (Chatel) since yesterday afternoon after teasing us with a bit of snow first. However, the mountains are looking white, and the Pre La Joux car park was above the rain/snow line this morning so clients seem happy.

We'll see what happens this evening...
snow conditions
Snowmonkey, courtesy of Champonix Meteo...

TOMORROW - MONDAY JANUARY 07
Gloomy - improving towards the evening
SKY CONDITIONS (cloud - sunshine) : mostly cloudy or overcast - becoming cloudy with sunny spells towards the end of in the afternoon - period of sunshine close to 20%.
PRECIPITATION : moderate rain early in the morning - showers later, becoming scattered - rain-snow limit towards 1500 m, dropping towards 1200 m
WIND - aloft : WNW moderate to strong.
TEMPERATURE : min +2°C - max +4°C.

TUESDAY JANUARY 08
Sunny - cold in the morning - becoming cloudy towards the evening
SKY CONDITIONS (cloud - sunshine) : clear or partly cloudy - beocming cloudy towards the end of the afternoon - period of sunshine close to 80%.
PRECIPITATION : non.
WIND - aloft : W light -> WSW moderate.
TEMPERATURE : dropping lows - slightly rising highs.

EXTENDED OUTLOOK UNTIL FRIDAY JANUARY 11 2008
Wednesday : mainly cloudy - showers - snow above 1200 m. Thursday : changeable - slight shower risk. Friday : becoming rainy - outlook is uncertain.
Forecast reliability : fairly good until Tuesday, poor thereafter.
snow conditions
It is raining this morning and Mr Snow and Trek is on the Pleney doing his BASI Level 1.....he has got his big mac on though so shouldn't get toom wet.

Forecast is looking like snow this weekend in resort and before that the freezing level will be jumping around a bit but not above Avoriaz.

Anyone fancying a deal we have space from 12th - 26th in the chalet and can do short breaks. Forecast for that period looks fab - lots of snow!!!
snow report
Morning all, hope you're all well!

We are coming out to Les Gets on the 16th February - can't wait now, just wondered if anyone knows what February will be like? rolling eyes I know it's hard to to say what it'll be like tomorrow but you guys are the experts and all - Someone told me that it's going to be a lot better than it was last year? I hope so, last year we had a really large dump wink then it rained for 2 days solid and then the snow froze Sad we had a wicked time though, just wanted a bit of reassurance it's gonna be a bit better this Feb..... rolling eyes I know, I know another paranoid snowboarder, but hey-it's what we save up for all year round!

Thanks!
ski holidays
Snowmonkey, What is happening at the moment?
latest report
So what's it like now in Avoriaz? WHat was that about rain!!!!? I'm out on the 29th of this month. 1st time to Avoriaz.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy