Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - Winter 2008-2009

Poster: A snowHead
Swirly, You're going to make me look in that forum again! Shocked

Pretty much as said above. It was sunny in the morning but clouded over around midday and the next front seems to be coming in. If the forecasts are to be believed we'll have lots of snow next week. Very Happy It was very cold though, and my feet are much warmer in the thermo-fit inners, but boy! what a loss of control and fit compared to the foam injected ones. Sad Now I'm having to think about what to do, cos l'Y was tough with my feet wandering int he boots. Good snow for the most part though. Very Happy

A rather different pix today - it's the banners that are above many of the lifts showing the rules of the piste in cartoon form - just to show that resorts are trying - pity no-one bothers to look at them! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski, that's the plan wink looking forward to the next snow already.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paulmck, Read and replied Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dumping
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski wrote:

A rather different pix today - it's the banners that are above many of the lifts showing the rules of the piste in cartoon form - just to show that resorts are trying - pity no-one bothers to look at them! Very Happy
Do you think that cartoon pictures might be passed off as irrelevant to adults - something for the kids?

One seemingly effective warning sign I saw recently was based on a photograph - it's in the carpark on Holy Island, Lindisfarne and warns about the danger of trying to cross the causeway at the wrong time. It shows a car almost submerged & simply points out "this could be you". I noticed quite a lot of people looking at it and wandering off talking about it, discussing when they'd cross to leave the Island. I wonder if a series of ski accident photos posted at strategic points, perhaps where people queue for main lifts, might hit home more effectively than cartoons? To make them totally language independent, a cartoon/line drawn depiction of a rule being broken could be beside each photo suggesting that if you do this, here is the potential consequence.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, wish I could just jump on a plane and come across. And don't suggest I do! Twisted Evil One bit of good news - Mrs a has said it would be no problem if my March holiday were brought forward a week. Really depends on what admin does about the MSB soon, and a possible off-piste trip to Serre Chevalier - but the Lutins bar may yet see me checking out the hydraulics again this season.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, I got sent home from work today because there is too much snow. Cool

It's like school.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles, I do like the convenience of Lutins and it is one of the reasons, like you, i head to L2A Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard, wow.

rayscoops, brilliant place - spot on location (it was the first hotel built in LDA, according to easiski) - and run by one of the beautiful people.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Interesting conditions today, one of those when you can't see a thing or work out which way is up. Unfortunately there's been a bit of rain at resort level and the low snow is pretty heavy going (must be tonnes of fresh up high though), thankfully it stopped for a bit over the warmest part of the day and as it cooled down started to snow again. Probably been a good foot + of snow still and more forecast. Need to be careful out there though the snow+high wind and bit of rain has pushed the avvy risk through the roof.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard wrote:
Well, I got sent home from work today because there is too much snow. Cool
Good good! Hope you enjoyed the time off & are looking forward to playing in the new snow when you get a chance!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wow, hope you get loads !!!! Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I never got much above the top of the resort today, and it was vile! Annie & the flying bogee came over yesterday and we were due to ski today - but didn't! When people turn up for a lesson in walking boots they might be trying to tell you something! Anyway they've got home OK.

In the afternoon it did rain (not too much fortunately), but then sleet and hail. Wherever it wasn't pisted - which was nearly everywhere on the lower slopes you more or less stopped dead!! the wind got up to such a degree in gusts in the town that 2 local club kids were blown over on the Lutins lift (ha, ha!) Laughing Laughing and the lift derailed twice (not so ha) Sad

The pic is from the pretty little green piste that winds through the bottom end of town when I took one of my beginners there.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Monster snow overnight - about 25 - 30 cms outside the house. I'll report later having just spent 90 mins digging out the van which was stuck last night. The chains are on and I got up to the top of the road OK and have parked it in the Quirlies parking space. Shocked With chains costing €160 you can be sure I didnt' want to risk putting them on at 23.00 last night and possibly breaking them! Not the mention the wall of snow that the snowplough plonked in front of it blocking me in, and the police coming round this morning to tell me to move it!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski ah, the joys of skiing Smile
ski holidays
Well the storm has passed and the sun came out to play today, although it did play hide and seek with clouds and mist for a fair bit of the time. The snow was lighter in the morning than yesterday, but as the temperature rose during the day the snow in the village did get a lot heavier. Howeve it wasn't half bad. Very Happy The Face was fairly heavily tracked, but I heard that Super Diable and Bellecombe chairlifts were closed due to very high avalanche risk - see Swirly's comments yesterday.
2 pix today - one shows one of my neighbours' cars and the other is a moody pic looking towards La Muzelle from the grand Viking chairlift. Tomorrow I'm expecting to get as high as the Cretes. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, looks like the cars on our road, someone's been digging one out for a fair while now. Once again I'm very glad of the covered parking space. On a much more serious note http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0892-avalanches-leave-three-skiers-in-critical-condition/ makes sobering reading, sadly I'm not that surprised given the number of skiers and boarders you see way off piste without a rucksack or occasionally on their own. The snow from yesterday hasn't appeared to bond to the rain crust that formed during the warmer part of the afternoon. I hope he recovers (of course) but you have to ask what he was doing there in the first place.
snow report
Swirly, How stupid can people be? That whole area was closed because of avalanche danger as I reported yesterday ...... it avalanches frequently as does Rachas above it.... When will people learn?????
ski holidays
I have now learned that the skier was killed on the Voute, not the Combe du Thuit - well it is a slope leading down into the Combe du Thuit.

today was just bluebird all the way. I did manage a few turns in the powder in the top of the Combe du Thuit and it was very nice Very Happy very slightly wind affected, but otherwise very Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The snow on the piste at the Cretes and in the village was really, really nice, but the face was not quite so nice. Sad Where people had skied the other day in the heavy wet snow there were large lumps of not quite frozen but not soft snow. You could ski through it but it wasn't nice, so I took myself off into the trees under the white eggs for the return journey. I did manage (with a bit of looking) to find a number of trees that had powder around them and then ski in it - the descent took a long time but was quite fun.

Pic is from high up on the Grande Pente over towards Sapins looking across to Alpe d'Huez
snow conditions
Sounds like a good day's skiing on balance. Look after the snow for us - less than 6 weeks to go snowHead. Liz turned up this morning with 2 pairs of her teenage kids' salopettes for our two novices to try on & hopefully borrow for the trip - it's starting to feel real now! Would you believe CaistorSkier's off to the Dolomites with an old mate for half term week before that though - I told her that's simply not on! Oh and can you keep a secret?? Another friend has expressed a wish to go to Chill for a "taster" lesson and that is so out of character that Mr B said if she does it HE WILL too Shocked Shocked !
snow report
Butterfly, I would be much happier if he came for his taster here. I had a beginner last week who'd done one of those 'learn to ski in a day' things at MK, and they were rushed through, she was back on her heels, couldn't plough properly and was twisting everything to try to turn. Shocked Sad It took a fair bit to sort out the problems.

Cloudy today and looks like the snow that is promised is heading our way.
snow conditions
easiski, Indeed, so would I be happier bringing him to you, but it's a tad more expensive than a trip over to Manchester! The taster in question is a 50 minute intro, so shouldn't really do too much damage and if he likes it then we can work on getting him back over to you - he keeps saying how much he enjoyed our trip last summer Smile. The remarkable thing is he has said he will do it - I think he's banking on the other person backing out!
latest report
Butterfly, Well just check before you book him in that in 50 mins all they'll do is a bit of straight running and getting used to the skis and boots. Seriously - as he's not keen, if they start with snowplough and try to do a bit more in such a short time it will seriously put him off - really. You cannot imagine. Shocked

today was grey, flat light, and a tiddly bit of snow in the afternoon - oh yes and it was cold too. Pic of a miserable looking Cretes this afternoon.
snow conditions
easiski, will do - won't be until May/June anyway. CaistorSkier's daughter/son-in-law are in ADH this week - their 1st ski trip on their own - so I hope they have some good conditions.
latest report
It was a rather bitty day today. Not warm and with a fair bit of cloud around. I'm not sure about the wind high up earlier, but there was a fair bit of snow blowing off the Tete Moute later. The Cretes was fine though. Very Happy Piste conditions are very good, and Mr Lizzard tells me that the off piste is good higher up, but I haven't been there. Pix of looking down from the traverse path to the skating rink and the swimming pool and also a rather spectacular evening view of sun on the Tete Moute while it was already gone down here at 17.30.
ski holidays
easiski, Keep up the great pics, makes me wish I was coming out sooner.
snow report
fragy, not that long now - as of Sunday it'll be "next month". Are you going with friends/family? Looks like there will be a pretty good SH presence in March - unofficial bash, nearly! snowHead
snow conditions
Fabulous day today. Wall to wall blue skies, good snow and quite chilly. Very Happy I skied the top and bottom of the Thuit, Cretes and l'Y and they were all great. Very Happy Pic shows how much snow there is on the mountain side of the track from the top of the Cretes to the Bellecombe chair. Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Butterfly wrote:
fragy, not that long now - as of Sunday it'll be "next month". Are you going with friends/family? Looks like there will be a pretty good SH presence in March - unofficial bash, nearly! snowHead

As of sunday it will be two weeks for me! snowHead

You do not know how excited i am getting!
snow report
Butterfly, It will be me and the good lady wife, we are out from the 15th for a week so all those early bird SHds best be leaving a bit of snow and a few beers for me Laughing
latest report
Butterfly wrote:
Looks like there will be a pretty good SH presence in March - unofficial bash, nearly! snowHead

Yes - can't wait Very Happy
snow conditions
fragy wrote:
Butterfly, It will be me and the good lady wife, we are out from the 15th for a week so all those early bird SHds best be leaving a bit of snow and a few beers for me Laughing

Indeed - and of course we promise to take good care of the snow the week before you arrive too! Looking forward to meeting you out there. My other half's in your neck of the woods, doing a day's supply at Whitgift tomorrow - I wish him luck!

Easiski that's an amazing wall of snow - I have NEVER seen that much depth anywhere Shocked !
snow report
Sunny day today after a cold night. Warm and sunny in the afternoon down here, but I didn't go up so no photo and no snow info today - sorry. going to Alpe du Grande Serre tomorrow. Very Happy
ski holidays
It was again lovely and warm and sunny (although cold in the night), and we went to Alpe du Grande Serre for the day, so no LDA info I'm afraid. the trip report is http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=48628
snow conditions
It sounds delightful!
latest report
Lovely morning when I was stuck in a meeting and cloudy and cold this afternoon when I was out on the hill. rolling eyes the snow is really good on the piste but off the piste below the Cretes is really vile. Sad Never mind, more snow is forecast - I just hope more turns up than they're suggesting.
latest report
easiski, get the snow dance going Big Wink Laughing
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
...........Seriously - as he's not keen, if they start with snowplough and try to do a bit more in such a short time it will seriously put him off - really....

Something's definitely happening to his attitude - we had an hour to kill in the Sheffield area, so decided to go and see what is happening at the dry slope - he'd never seen one & was keen to look. They are well on with building their bowling alley but the place still looks tired inside and out. It was not very busy either. Anyway, to the point! Having looked at the main slope (dendix), we went to look at the nursery slope (snowflex) so he could see the difference. There was a first lesson taking place with 2 teenage lads, one of whom had the aptitude of Bambi on a bad day. Mr B remarked to me, while showing me he could adopt a suitable stance - "what's he making such a mess of that for, it doesn't look that hard - I could do that; seems easy enough!" Shocked Shocked

So, potentially you may have a willing student when we can get out to LDA Very Happy . Not sure when that will be though if the "credit crunch" situation doesn't start to improve soon Sad
snow conditions
I was in LDA on Friday, took a helicopter transfer from Alpe D'Huez. Snow was in great condition, pretty much all of the runs seemed open. Excellent snow on the glacier and was impressed by how wide all the runs high up were and the number of detachable chair lifts (there seems to be a lack on them in ADH). Had lunch down in LDA, was baking hot, lovely for sitting outside in the sun.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 1-02-09 19:00; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
mcboz, you are personally responsible for making me feel miserable today, I am so green with envy !!!
Looks fantastic Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy