Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR Saalbach Feb 2013 (Not one for serious playground skiers). Final pics added.

Poster: A snowHead
Trip Report: Saalbach Hinterglem 2013 (warning, content may not be suitable for the serious skier)

Departed: 02.02.13

Lots of stuff happened

Returned: 09.02.13

wink

Special note: Saalbach should carry a health warning Toofy Grin

TO: Crystal
No particular comments, other than they delivered on all fronts as one might expect. My “accident” report might make for some fun reading on a quiet day in their office…more on that later.

Hotel: Konig

Great place, and can ski to the back door. Located at the lower end of town about 200m from the bottom of the main high street. Service, food, rooms all excellent. Boot/ski room a decent size, all pretty secure – even had security cameras monitoring things.

All the people there were incredibly helpful.

Would definitely recommend the place and would stay there again.

It’s a 5 minute walk to the Schattberg Xpress, 5 minutes to the town centre and, if using the beginner lift directly behind the hotel, one can reasonably easily get up to the main lift area that also serves the learner slopes, again in 6-7 minutes.

=============================

We had an early flight out of Gatwick, so were on resort by about 2.30pm on the Saturday. Dived into Hansi’s ski hire place following a recommendation from Tatman’s Tours or to be accurate Tatmans Winter Alpine Tours Laughing . Duly selected skis, with healthy discount and that, dear reader, marked the beginning of a bit of a theme that some serious skiers might express alarm at.

Skis served with Schnapps…so instead of getting our gear on for an early hour or two’s blast, we deposited skis, and marched next door into Bobby’s Bar to watch the rugby and dent their supplies of beer and Jagerbombs. Cuckoo, an excellent live band, were playing between games and afterwards….nothing like a party to kick off proceedings. The “night” duly ended at around 1am, mainly because, in one of those mental, rather spur of the moment things, I decided to mount the plastic cow outside the Alpine Resort Hotel (roll eyes).

And duly slid off the icy exterior (probably purposefully kept so), landing on my @rse/side right on the edge of the concrete plinth upon which said Fresian stood, looking benignly on with its innocent cow-eyes.

Damage:

It took a good 20 minutes to even get out of bed with the old glutinous maximus feeling about the size and stiffness of a cricket ball. Not a great start. Finally managed to get some mobility and headed to the pharmacy for some pain-killers. And then went skiing…OK, so a tad later that expected, but off we went.

Obviously having learned my lesson, bedtime just got later and later. Variously between 2am and 4am IIRC Laughing. Actually, to be honest, I think Thursday may have been 9.30pm…the only concession to the liver and body.

Some of the highlights:

First proper night’s après at the Goaßstall in Hinterglem, meeting up with Piccadilly and the other Angry Birds. A rocking early après.

Bobby’s Bar on Monday night, again with Cuckoo playing. Great night!

The Hinterhag on Wednesday (my how the days are hazy trying to recall each event) was absolutely banging - this time with Tatmans Tours and the Angry Bird mob. Dancing on the table benches. Quality night, topped off when I stepped out for obligatory smoke, then watched on with hilarity as some young lady proceeded to try and get on her skis to ski back to town. A Keystone Cops moment Laughing. An Austrian guy who was also watching this and I had to hold each other up we were laughing so much Laughing Wish I’d had the camera with me but, anyone who has seen the You Tube clip of the guy outside the Mooserwirt in St Anton would appreciate the unfolding scene.

Not from our trip, but just in case no-one has been there….
http://youtube.com/v/tdaKn621nWc

In fact, I don’t think I can recall so much partying in one week. The Munich beer festival pales. A 4-day stag do in la Plagne seems tame by comparison.

The Skiing:

Suppose it ought to get a mention Laughing

The conditions were terrific. In the 22 weeks, I’ve been skiing, never seen so much snow fall in such a short time. That created some interesting experiences and a couple of insanely great skiing days, with Blue 68 high on the list and some real mileage clocking over to and around Hinterglem on Wednesday.

Saalbach Hinterglemm is well linked and offers a variety of skiing that should keep most abilities more than happy. Plenty for beginner/improvers, with wide and fairly gentle blues (though some blues could prove a challenge), some fast and blasty reds, several challenging blacks (we never did 14….yet another reason to go back) and off-piste options.

By way of a mention on one of the many TWAT skiing experiences….here’s the group....

Ann, Pete, Jon, Piccadilly, Dom and Sandra with Tatmans Tours and finally Chris.

My aren’t they angry…

They don’t quite fly…but occasionally catch some air wink

And some have weird small “feet”...

One down....

Angry Birds of a Feather...

Moment of the week? Surely had to be when the sun broke through revealing an untouched area of powder on Red 62a. So there we were, Piccadilly, the Angry Birds and I, when everything clicked into place and we were floating down in knee-deep powder like absolute Powderhound Playground Gods Laughing

A quick lift back up and then down again, during which time the sun went and the snow returned with angry vengeance for disturbing the pristine conditions and we were all mere mortals once more.

Night Skiing: never really been bothered before, but had a go. Some of the best visibility all week Laughing Well, well worth doing and a nice way to break up the early après from the après, après Laughing

There is probably so much more to say. However, I will have to go back again just to make sure it is as great a place as I vaguely recall it.

Should also mention that Tatmans Tours and Piccadilly and the other Angry Birds contributed immensely to the whole experience. Hope we can do it all again.

S’aal(be)bach (in Arnie mode)

Laughing

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 13-02-13 19:27; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chasseur, Reminds me of our first experience in Saalbach in 2009. The incident with the Kuh, oooowwwwww.
I have a pic where my friend is performing fellatio on the big mexican just along from your bovine companion. Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ianbradders, Laughing

Glad I'm not the only one....rather worryingly, I did think about climbing that one too.

I'm def heading back to France. Sooo much safer (and all the other stuff wink )

Several extra photos now added....I'm sure the Angry Birds will appreciate it Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chasseur, Thank you for that trip report, one of the most enjoyable. Especially "mount the plastic cow" very good.

That is one serious bruise.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
blahblahblah, cheers - glad you liked it Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Awesome TR Chasseur, and what a week!

Really could not have asked for better snow, and actually the visibility was mostly OK, despite the constant blizzards. That awesome blue (68?) and wonderful powdery red were among my best runs ever I think. Great apres, great company, nice hotel, beautiful place. We all said we would go back. I still need to do black 14!

We did tend to orientate ourselves using that cow for the rest of the week .. "You know, the pub just past your girlfriend" Laughing

I must say, Tatman's Tours really did make our skiing experience quite out of this world, we owe him a lot of beers next time we see him!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Piccadilly, feel free to add anything/pics etc Smile

Likewise, Tatman's Tours.

Pretty much a union event, ultimately.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chasseur, top report. Seems like a slightly livelier experience than your Christmas trip!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hammerite, ever so, ever so slightly, ... wink I could walk and talk after Arabba, for example Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chasseur, that's impressive damage!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zero-G,
Quote:

that's impressive damage

Indded it is........but do we believe that´s really how he got it? wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kooky, looks like a good spanking to me wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Piccadilly, You're very kind - makes me feel slightly better about being back in England (surrounded by wet, soggy, useless snow) for 3 weeks. Roll on March - Saal-be-bach! I'll get a photo album done and post it on 'Chalet Tatman' Facebook page. I've also got a lot of video footage, some of which is likely to find its way onto Youtube.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK, here are a few pics from me..

Saalbach is simply stunning:

The most gorgeous mountain restaurant, Die Alte Schmeide (gives you an idea of how much snow we had!):

Looking out on the night ski slope from the Goassstall:

Looking down the night ski slope:

... and the reason Chasseur lost his voice??:

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kooky wrote:
Zero-G,
Quote:

that's impressive damage

Indded it is........but do we believe that´s really how he got it? wink

Hahaha....kooky given some of the messy stories that abound, you know that is the most likely explanation wink

Shame you couldn't make it over, though the punishing schedule might have tested even you Toofy Grin

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 12-02-13 11:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Chasseur, brilliant report, Piccadilly, brilliant photos. Sounds fun - but punishing. Shocked
snow report
Thanks, Pedantica...right on both counts Toofy Grin and then some Laughing

Voice still not recovered rolling eyes
latest report
Lovely pics lads and sounds like you all had a great week! Looking at them is making me more excited for my trip in a few weeks.
latest report
Great photos - I've got a picture much like the one of the beers and Flugels...were you getting them for a euro a pop??
snow report

I'm imagining there being a squashed green pig under there somewhere!
snow conditions
divekris, yep, one Euro each, the girl was walking round the Goassstall with them in a pouch. Seemed like a good idea until we had to ski down!

hammerite, haha, next time we will have more people with us and they can have the pig helmet covers. Not one of my most graceful moments on skis, no idea how it happened! We all went down like flies Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
Fab report. Sounds like a brilliant week. I was there last january and reading that has bought back so many good memories!
latest report
And finally...when I said it was a banging resort...

I meant it in a home improvement kind of way....

Although clearly "isshhh it time for another wee drink" is a bit of a giveaway wink

Pic courtesy of Tatman's Tours
ski holidays
Steiners ?
latest report
Gerstreitalm...if that's the answer...
ski holidays
Chasseur, I thought the bar in the picture above was Steiners.......
snow conditions
Dear me, what a couple of roués! Laughing
ski holidays
Smokin Joe, crossed wires - its Zum Turm, on a street between the main drag and the road leading to Bauers (I think Laughing )
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think I'm glad I always stay in Hinterglemm and not Saalbach Laughing
Looks as if you had loads of fun Chasseur, great place isn't it. snowHead
ski holidays
Pedantica, Laughing

Of course one assumes this is what you allude to: "a man devoted to a life of sensual pleasure"

Toofy Grin
latest report
Right up there RachelQ Madeye-Smiley

How're you, by the way - the injury?
snow report
Chasseur, Great TR. Let me know when you next go on a bash. Before I book preferably. Shocked wink Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
geepee, Laughing Laughing Laughing

You know you don't mean that - heh heh...and there is one more coming up that you might need some help getting through wink Little Angel Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Chasseur wrote:
How're you, by the way - the injury?
Not sure really, exercising like mad, still hurts, but it will all be better for the EoSB snowHead
snow conditions
Encouraging news snowHead
ski holidays
Chasseur, Nice ars........ Umm I mean.... Bruise wink Toofy Grin
snow report
Schatz in Boots, NehNeh Toofy Grin ....some fabulous colouring going on now...might enter one of the photo competitions Laughing but its getting the right angle that's the struggle.... wink
snow report
Chasseur, I think mine would beat yours - but I'm not risking shattering the camera lens by photographing it. wink I still can't lie on that side, a week later. Sad
latest report
Pedantica, Shocked now that is saying something. Look...I've met you and it would hardly be a wide-angle lens affair would it! So what's the issue? Hairy wink Lunar surface? wink Going to have to have those pics Pedantica Toofy Grin

Regarding lying down - drink plenty. Never fails Laughing
snow report
Chasseur, nope, decorum shall rule. Little Angel
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy