Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St. Anton off piste / ski routes

Poster: A snowHead
So, I'm finally going to St. Anton... which means I'm finally going to give powder skiing a real go, conditions allowing.

I intend to go with Piste to Powder for a day. (Not the full 5-day course, because of price and prior arrangements.) After that I hope to enjoy the ski routes. Am I right in assuming that the ski routes are fairly safe, as they're supposed to be avalanche-controlled? I don't want to do anything stupid, as I have dependants.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SkiingDad wrote:
Am I right in assuming that the ski routes are fairly safe, as they're supposed to be avalanche-controlled?

It depends entirely on the conditions (!) and where you are skiing. The ski routes which feed down into Happy Valley are south facing and avalanche prone (and not, as far as I know, "controlled"). When I skied there at New Year it was possible to see where slabs had slipped and to pick one's route accordingly. After the heavy snow which has been/is falling the tell-tales might be harder to spot.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To quote the description on the piste map:-

"Ski Routes are marked and although measures are taken to prevent avalanches, these trails are neither groomed nor inspected"

However you will find that some of them are groomed eg. 32 & 33 in Zurs at the start of the Weisse Ring and 18 down to Alpe Rauz. They may take a little longer to groom these runs after a heavy snowfall.

I'm not sure if travel insurance companies classify these runs as on or off piste.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
welshflyer wrote:
To quote the description on the piste map:-

"Ski Routes are marked and although measures are taken to prevent avalanches, these trails are neither groomed nor inspected".

I was skiing with a guide from the Arlberg ski school two weeks ago and that statement more or less concurs with what he said. He said that the routes are avalanche protected, but only within twenty metres either side of the ski route markers, which is something to be aware of, because with a route such as Mattun for example you could easily explore much further afield than that.

I am also sure that he said that the routes were patrolled at the end of the day.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
welshflyer wrote:

However you will find that some of them are groomed eg. ... 18 down to Alpe Rauz. They may take a little longer to groom these runs after a heavy snowfall.

I'm not sure if travel insurance companies classify these runs as on or off piste.

Apart from the top bit, which follows a track, 18 was definitely not being groomed at New Year.

Insurers generally do not view itineraries as being on piste, and most winter sports policies exclude off-piste skiing without a guide.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SkiingDad, are you skiing solo?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
welshflyer wrote:

That's a good point. I have decided to be on the safe side and have the off piste coverage, since I'm doing the training anyway.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DT68 wrote:
It depends entirely on the conditions (!) and where you are skiing. The ski routes which feed down into Happy Valley are south facing and avalanche prone (and not, as far as I know, "controlled"). When I skied there at New Year it was possible to see where slabs had slipped and to pick one's route accordingly. After the heavy snow which has been/is falling the tell-tales might be harder to spot.

Well, that's just it. I do not have the experience, and I don't expect to achieve it in one day either. So, I'll have to rely on whatever is safe to assume and what the current alert level is.

Layne wrote:
SkiingDad, are you skiing solo?

I'm going with friends and one of them might be interested to join. However, I think he knows even less than I do.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's sounds like you are going to have any ava gear, or be practiced in the use of it. Also, I may be doing you a disservice but it sounds like you wouldn't be overly sure of what is safe and what isn't. However, don't despair, the reality is, many of us start that way. In every ski resort I've been there has been safe (even to the untrained eye an accessible off piste). It may not be untracked or particularly tranquil but it will get you into powder of a description. Naturally keep an eye on the weather and the alert level and be ultra careful if required.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If they're open (you can check the boards at most lift stations), they ski routes will be considered safe from avalanches - for which they are controlled. If you fall and hurt yourself though, there are no guarantees that there will be a patrol coming who may find you, though in reality many people will be skiing these routes so that should nto be a problem.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Layne, Not sure what you mean by doing me a disservice, but you describe the situation quite well. I want to enjoy some powder, but not do anything stupid. So, if I can be fairly safe just using common sense, following the signs and taking the alert levels seriously, then I'm happy with that. Untracked is of little importance.

clarky999, Those are about the kind of rules I'm prepared to accept.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DT68 wrote:
most winter sports policies exclude off-piste skiing without a guide.

Don't want to get into some off topic rant about insurance... But there are plenty of policies that DO cover off piste without a guide. Check the small print, but it's not hard to find sensible policies out there.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SkiingDad,
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by doing me a disservice, but you describe the situation quite well.

I just meant I may have misunderstood your circumstances. But as I haven't then we're good Very Happy

Quote:
So, if I can be fairly safe just using common sense, following the signs and taking the alert levels seriously, then I'm happy with that.

Yep. It would be worthwhile reading up on what causes avalanches and start to plant some thoughts of when a slope becomes at risk but general observation and comon sense will get you started.

There are two aspects to bear in mind here. One, is the avalanche danger. The other is the danger of getting lost/stuck. Or falling down a whole or injuring yourself. That is why I asked you whether you were skiing solo. I have skied off piste by myself but I understood the risk, only did it when other people were tracking from the piste and/or I was within shouting distance of piste/lift. Or on occasion when I just thought kit.
Quote:

Untracked is of little importance.

You say that now Toofy Grin snowHead Laughing Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:
If they're open (you can check the boards at most lift stations), they ski routes will be considered safe from avalanches - for which they are controlled. If you fall and hurt yourself though, there are no guarantees that there will be a patrol coming who may find you, though in reality many people will be skiing these routes so that should nto be a problem.

Yeah, the chance of being alone on a ski route in St Anton ... if only.

If the worst should happen the ski patrol will come for you, just carry a mobile to call for help because they don't sweep the runs.

As others have said if the run is open it is safe to ski from the point of view of avalanches. Other hazards may exist, such as rocks just below the surface Sad Runs are safe around the markers (I'd heard 10m either side, a previous post said 20m), but some of the runs, such as Mattun are in very wide bowls and plenty of people ski a long way from the markers. That's fine, just bear in mind that this really is off piste and you should take precautions accordingly.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

There are two aspects to bear in mind here. One, is the avalanche danger. The other is the danger of getting lost/stuck. Or falling down a whole or injuring yourself. That is why I asked you whether you were skiing solo. I have skied off piste by myself but I understood the risk, only did it when other people were tracking from the piste and/or I was within shouting distance of piste/lift. Or on occasion when I just thought kit.

Totally agree, do watch out if the weather is bad, it is possible to get lost on a ski route (I suppose it's possible on a piste too, but harder).

Quote:

Quote:

Untracked is of little importance.

You say that now

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
One other point to remember if you are not used to ski routes, is that the markers are not as prominent as normal piste markers and are often quite far apart. You therefore need to make sure you take a good look for the next marker as you follow a ski route and I would be very careful indeed in anything other than good visibility.

Taking the example of Mattun again, it has a number of variations with some tricky bits near the bottom, so it is a lot easier if you follow the markers rather than just finding your own way out.

When I first when to St Anton many years ago Mattun was marked on the map as a red piste and Schindlekar as a black piste, although they were never actually pisted as such.
ski holidays
Quote:

When I first when to St Anton many years ago Mattun was marked on the map as a red piste and Schindlekar as a black piste, although they were never actually pisted as such.

Ah, the good old days. That was pretty much the rule for the entire resort. They occasionally groomed Osthang I think wink
ski holidays
sah wrote:
They occasionally groomed Osthang I think wink

Yes about once a week.

If you were lucky. (Monty Python Yorkshire accent)
latest report
Layne,

Yup, my outlook may change quite a bit in the future, which is actually what I hope. Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy