Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I've been skiiing for a few years now and I'm considering taking the plunge and buying some equipment. I'm in Russia at the moment and I've found a shop that stocks Volkl equipment and they're having a sale. The skis that I want to buy don't come with bindings, however they do have 'rails' (that's the Russian word anyway - my terminology might be off). The question is this really: are there different ways in which bindings fit to skis or will any binding fit to any ski? Are they easy to fit, or is it a professional job? And will any boot fit in any binding? Other advice that you fancy giving would also be appreciated.

Thanks to anyone who replies.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
paul_s, Volkl are part of the group that includes Marker (as is K2). The rails on your skis will only fit Marker bindings. It's a job for a shop....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paul_s, welcome to snowheads, doesn't the shop sell Marker bindings? More and more ski manufacturers are designing their skis for a specific binding, so I'd be surprised if they're selling Volkls that they aren't selling the appropriate binding.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome paul_s, As above it's more and more popular for ski manufacturers to bundle the skis with bindings. In your case it's the Volkl Motion Rail, which, in theory, allows the ski flex pattern to be less effected by having a stiff lump of plastic (the ski boot) screwed to the skis (clipped in to the binding).

I find it strange that they have the skis but not the bindings, you might have issues trying to source the bindings on their own.

You can see the rail system clearly over the middle of the ski. If there are no obvious rails then this doesn't apply, Volkl do make lots of skis that can be drilled with any binding. Don't be confused by some clueless sales person.

In terms of fitting them it is very straight forward but NEEDS to be done by a trained techie. If you can buy the skis and the bindings any ski shop will be able to sort them out for you.

And yes any boot will fit in the binding, if you are buying new boots then you have no problems. If you're using old boots they will still fit, a good ski technician will be able to advise as to the condition of the boots (it is dangerous to ski in boots that have worn toe and heel pieces).

If you can get some names and models of the skis in question and perhaps describe your ability there are many friendly snowHead here that will be able to offer more help.

Good Luck.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks...

the shop does sell bindings and boots but I didn't take much notice of them other than that they weren't called Volkl. Thinking about it, they probably were Marker ones. Anyway, I'm going to go back to the shop tomorrow and I'll have a better look before bothering you for advice again.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Right, been back to the shop and there are three sets of skis that I would consider buying. They're all Volkl - P50, Energy 420 and AX2. I've had a quick look on the internet and it seems like they're last year's models. They all cost around 125 pounds. Firstly, is this a good price? Secondly, would any of them be suitable for a fairly confident intermediate?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's a good price if you can sort out the bindings.

Not really my 'ski area' but from memory.

The P50 is a classified as a 'race carver' whatever that means (GS sidecut without the full blown race spec ie softer). I wouldn't have suggested it for an intermediate skier but if you are confident and ski very hard looking to push yourself then this would be a good ski for you.

The Energy 420 is a superb intermediate ski, forgiving enough for beginners and will let you enjoy the piste all day long.

I've not skied the Ax2, haven't skied the others either, but I skied it's big brother the 724 Pro and loved it. Ax2 is a really balanced ski, a piste tool that won't sink like the titanic off piste. The Ax2 is aimed at intermediates that ski quite hard or want to progress.

With all Volkl skis they are designed for, erhem, larger German frames. So they always tend to be quite stiff, quite lively and lots of fun. I love 'em.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paul_s, tell us which p50? Platinum, green, yellow?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yellow I think, well one of three sets were yellow so I guess it's probably that one.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Ax2 should be yellow with black & white stripes to be last year...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy