Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yankee in the alps; Chamonix and Torino in May

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi James from the States here. Sorry for the sloppy first post

I've been prodding around your forum and I'm looking for some general info on Alps Chamonix/Torino activities in
May. Specifically a guided off piste ski tour if possible, or where my wife and I could go on-piste skiing for a day
reasonably priced in either FR or IL. We think our journey will have us flying into Geneva, renting a car in france
drive to chamonix and through the FR/IL alps down to Nice or Marsielle where we think we would return the car.
This is completely tentative at the moment, we havent even really looked into the logistics yet of trying to rent a
car, but it sounds very interesting to us to drive through the alps from Chamonix and torino down to Nice. Since I
am total ski-nut there is no way in hell I'm passing the alps without looking into the possibile options to take a
couple laps o

Something like this:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Geneva,+Switzerland&daddr=Chamonix,+France+to:44.9369726,7.6711193+to:Nice,+France&hl=en&ll=44.988113,7.580566&spn=3.745196,6.866455&sll=44.949249,7.443237&sspn=1.873868,3.433228&geocode=FXjuwAIdWLldACnr4tCTBmWMRzE5vAt7NZW2oA%3BFXG9vAIdudFoACnnLv4tBkyJRzGAo7rkKqsIBA%3BFQyvrQIdTw11ACmB7ximLw6IRzEKyxdmcaNlIA%3BFaS_mgIdON1uACkxLYVqENDNEjFwmpf9pRkIBA&oq=Nice,+Fra&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=8&via=2&t=m&z=7

I found this video from last year and am I dreaming? Do POW days come that often in May? Or was this just a special day?

http://youtube.com/v/QB6g7AU8i1Y

We'd really like to ski on/off piste or would love to do any classic multi pitch climb (5.9-US, 5a UK, 5b/c French)

We'll be traveling all over FR/IL with my wife and I can spend about 350 euros max on an adventure for a guide
and gear/ tickets. Chamonix and the IL alps have always been a dream for me, and the above video makes me
think it could be much better than I initially anticipated. As with any outdoor enthusiast I will gladly share my
knowledge of tahoe/yosemite/jackson hole/SLC/Colorado/VT/NH all places I have played and know people here in
the US.

My questions;

Can anyone offer me some classic single day ski tours to look into?

Any climbing routes that I should check out?

Do guides provide gear?

Will I be able to ski on-piste in Mid May?

What are the cheapest options; Ticket and gear rental

Fr or IL for cheaper options?

What are the MUST see attractions; Views, drink, food...

Where should we trek?

Where do all the alpinists convene?

Where should we stay? In Cham, in IL

Most importantly, thanks to whomever takes any time to read this and offer up and advice/beta. If anyone ever
makes it across the pond I'd gladly share beta from my side. I know these are open ended questions that could
have probably at least three or four legitimate answers, any suggestions are gratefully appreciated. We're just
looking at have a nice outdoor experience in addition to the City and cultural experiences we're already planning.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
James welcome to snowheads.
Where to start, can you edit your first post to the width of the second.
Mid May is too late really, in Chamonix all the lifts close first week of May.

There are lots to choose from, and if you are getting a guide they will help choose.

I would suggest the Cosmiques arête as a route to look at in the high mountains or there are many low valley crag options at that time of year.

Do guides provide gear?
Only some, harnesses, avi gear, but its all available to hire in Chamonix

No

Tickets are standard prices, gear might be cheaper if you book on line.

Il but not much in it.

More info here
www.chamonet.com
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also have a look at a local guide/climber's blog about the snow and mountain conditions. Especially closer to the time when you arrive: www.chamconditions.blogspot.com
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
James, for your classic multi pitch rock climb you could do a lot worse than visiting the Verdon Gorge just North of Nice. A fantastic limestone Gorge with 300m+ walls
This should fit the bill nicely:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=41017

Back in Chamonix, one of the more accessible (hence may be busy) multi pitch climbs are on the south face of the Aiguille du Midi

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=146408

Both can have good weather or bad weather in May so you may need to be flexible. Enjoy!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jamezmc wrote:

My questions;

Lots around Chamonix, take a look here for some examples: http://www.chamonet.com/ski/area/backcountry.html
In mid may the higher ones should be in good condition, and the main lift up to Les Grands Montets should be running, so something like the Col du Passon would be possible.
Quote:

In Chamonix? Oh yes.... Happy I don't knoiw where to start, seriously there is so much. At the time of year it will be very dependent on conditions, but some of the mixed and ice routes could be at their best if there's no recent snow. If there's fresh snow then ski/skin up to a south facing rock route (e.g. on S Face of the Midi), do a nice safe rock climb then ski the vallée Blanche home.
Quote:

Do guides provide gear?

Yes, but bring your own boots. Worth checking with a guide first, maybe email a few. You can no doubt find lots of info on the Chamonix Guides web site. I've skied with a couple of Chamonix based guides, e.g. check out http://www.mountainadventurecompany.com/
Quote:

Almost certainly not. Even if the snow is good the lifts tend to close by then due to lack of customers. Some of the big lifts stay open for tourists and climbers though.
Quote:

No cheap ways of getting tickets that I know of, gear rental might be cheaper through a guide perhaps?
Quote:

What are the MUST see attractions; Views, drink, food...
Where should we trek?

Not really the best time for trekking around Chamonix, there'll still be a lot of snow around on the paths but if you are heading down to the Nice area there is great hiking in the mountains there.
Quote:

Where do all the alpinists convene?

In just about every bar in Chamonix...
Quote:

Where should we stay? In Cham, in IL

Depends on your budget... there's everythign from 5* at €500 a night down to gite d'etape at about €20...
Quote:

Most importantly, thanks to whomever takes any time to read this and offer up and advice/beta. If anyone ever
makes it across the pond I'd gladly share beta from my side. I know these are open ended questions that could
have probably at least three or four legitimate answers, any suggestions are gratefully appreciated. We're just
looking at have a nice outdoor experience in addition to the City and cultural experiences we're already planning.

Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would say the nearest place to Turin/torino that you'd be able to do summer skiing would be The Matterhorn/Cervinia as it's a glacier but thats in vall d'aosta which seems a bit out of your way other than that come May around Turin there will be next to no snow left.
In terms of climbing i used to live in the area and climbed in the alps every weekend near turin/towards liguria and can recommend all kinds of things in that area- really unexplored by tourists for climbing but so much to discover.. if you want more info on climbing and when i get a second i will send you as much info as i can..
As On the rocks, says- Verdon is a pretty amazing place to go too.

Let me know how much info you'd like on the italian side of things and i'll get a list together.. there's also this website though it's all in italian but my friends do the website. it has loads of routes in the alps and if you need help translating, just ask Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
for climbing, maybe a little further out of your way but the Calanques around Marseille are fantastic. Limestone cliffs rising straight out of the sea. Some climbs only accessible by boat

Verdon is spectacular, as others have said
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jamezmc, I recommend you contact Jeff Bank as a mountain guide. Originally from stateside he
is one of the nicest guides you will meet. If he can't help you (might be already booked up) he will point you in the direction of others who can
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think you will be lucky to get a proper qualified High Mountain Guide for less than €350 per day (which will usually include lending you safety gear but not ski hire)
so expect to pay for lift tickets on top of that. Guides have a long training (including lots of climbing) and many overheads (eg high insurance costs) and cost about
the same as a good instructor.
Personally I book a guide for a group of 6 friends (which is the normal maximum group size) to share the cost. In some places firms with several guides will book you
in with a public group but I don't think that sort of thing operates after the season officially ends.

If you cut your first post down to a few characters - eg Double post (use edit function to the right of the post) you might get rid of the excess width (you can only
completely delete a post while it is the last post).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy