Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach/Hinterglemm Official unofficial 2012-2013 Thread....As requested );o)

Poster: A snowHead
TT have sent a facebook message. Hope to bump into you. We are 3 x early forties with merseyside accents. Being very subdued this year.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scouse, group of 12, 8 guys, 4 gals. One of the lads has bought a bright yellow jacket and will look like a 'Canary'!! Little Angel

Our Mountain Piste Map reader and general guide, he leads we follow, yes i know its very lazy ,is known a 'Chief'. You won't miss him. Short stocky 'Black Fella'. We are staying at the Berger Sports Hotel. Say Hi if you see us. Ask for Mick.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scarlet Fez wrote:
Scouse, group of 12, 8 guys, 4 gals. One of the lads has bought a bright yellow jacket and will look like a 'Canary'!! Little Angel

Our Mountain Piste Map reader and general guide, he leads we follow, yes i know its very lazy ,is known a 'Chief'. You won't miss him. Short stocky 'Black Fella'. We are staying at the Berger Sports Hotel. Say Hi if you see us. Ask for Mick.

Thanks Mick will keep our eyes peeled....Should be a good week.....Saalbach best atmosphere resort i've been to.....I'm Carl by the way
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow forecast is looking good for the next week!

Bit of snow tonight, tomorrow and Saturday, then a pretty decent dump from Sunday night to Tuesday.

That should freshen things up nicely.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Bit of snow tonight

Before I retire to bed, I thought I'd just confirm that it's been dumping for the last few hours Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looking good for today and coming week with much lower temps and lots of freshies......5cm tomorrow....9cm Mon...31cm Wed....25cm Thurs & Friday....hope it lasts & enjoy Cool

Was just looking on live cam of Saalbach Ort slope & saw well over a hundred people walking right up the slope (about 16:30 local time)....seems a strange thing to do....any ideas why? (An event?)......just like to be nosey Puzzled

TT Is run 34a any good? (Continuation of Sunliner run to valley between Saalbach & Hinterglemm)...gonna try to do every run on map....but are any not worth bothering with?.....Thanks
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
just come off the mountain and there is a big event in the village. Saw maybe 500 walking up. Not sure of full details. Lively though. All promotional stuff in town square. Not sure on 34a as i have a hatred of busses.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Is run 34a any good?

I did it once about 7 years ago in deep, fresh snow and really enjoyed it. It was obviously very quiet. I only did it because it led back to the accommodation I was staying in.

Quote:

well over a hundred people walking right up the slope

This is the 2013 Mountain Attack ski-touring race, which started at 4.00pm today. It's an up- and downhill marathon, involving ascents of several peaks - at night - and it's currently snowing. I'm surprised that the seemingly indefatigable ianbradders, hasn't participated!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just back in from watching the Mountain Attack Race - over 900 participants, plus those just doing the shorter 'sprint' up the Schattberg. Raging blizzard at the top of Schattberg and most of the way down to the village - Scouse's predicted 5 cm fell in about the first half hour of my time on the mountain and much more forecast for the next few days.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 11-01-13 21:03; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tt at the moment i am most certainly fatigued. Trying to motivate myself. Saying that i have just had a fruitless walk to the petrol station in the snow. Very pretty snowing with the lights on. Shame we leave in the morning.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
also tt i did 70km downhill those beasts were going uphill!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Ian.....hope you enjoyed week......might be able to ski Bidston hill next week.....forecast for snow back home snowHead

Mountain attack uphill......sounds like too much hard work to me.....much prefer going downhill & the Après Embarassed
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks folks, love this thread, just less than 2 weeks to go until destination Saalbach
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is going to be a report on the Mountain Attack on Austrian television ORF Sport+ next Tuesday evening, 20:55.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SCOUSE, Fingers crossed. That would be the first time anyone has done that kind of skinning up on Biddy Hill!
Good week but really sedate Apres wise for me. My mates had a few good ones, especially thursday. That meant i was able to attempt the ski circus circuit for the first time. Did it and half again to meet my mates. Sportstracker showed i covered 70 KM. Today my swollen knees are testimony to it. Glad i have crossed it off the list but wouldnt do it again.

Loads of fresh snow fell today. Flight was delayed over 2 hours waiting for the de-icing rig.

Wish i had arrived rather than departed today.

Mountain attack, from what i could translate from the local paper consisted of a 4pm start, sprint up schattberg then up to westgipfel, ski down to hinterglemm. sprint up zwolfer and down to the crossing point at the top of the valley. Back up the opposite side and head around that side of the valley until skiing down bernkogel back through the main village road filled with snow and finish back at the main square. There were plenty skiing through to the finish at 9pm. Great event in the village. The levels of fitness are unreal.
snow conditions
Off to Saalbach soon. Hurrah! One of our party won't be skiing but would like to meet us for lunch at mountain huts. Can anyone recommend any that are accessible for walkers, preferably on the 'sunny' side of the circus? From memory and looking at the piste map a lot of them are by themselves, by the side of pisted runs, but not particularly near the top of gondola stations.
ski holidays
If the walker is prepared to do a bit of work there are loads of options. They can get a bus between Vorderglemm and Hinterglemm covering the whole valley. Here they will be able to ride any of the gondolas up on foot (not chairs) and download also. i.e. Kohlmaisgipfelbahn middle station is then a short walk to two huts, although it is not clear on the map. The Goatstall is close to the village in Hinterglemm and there is a tunnel to get to it without walking up the piste on the road on the right hand side of the piste as you look uphill.
Favourite of ours is the top of Schonleitenbahn,The Wildenkarkogel.
Lovely food at good prices, the view from the top overlooking the mountains opposite Leogang are breathtaking. They tower over the mountains of the Glemm valley.
And there is a funny/crazy waitress called Kathrin, if you go you will know who i mean. Dont be taken in with the free shots (they are home made from pine cones, so taste like toilet duck!).
snow report
pjd, Just thought, even the one at the top of Schattberg will be in the sun as it is up top. Views from there over to Kaprun and beyond are stunning, not sure on quality but have yet to be disappointed in any of the alm's we have used.
snow report
Another meeting place that I would recommend, though down at village level rather than up top, is the Kohlmais Stub'n on piste 51.
snow report
Dont be taken in with the free shots (they are home made from pine cones, so taste like toilet duck!).[/quote]

Taste like toilet duck?.....Is that from experience Ian? Toofy Grin

PJD....Don't forget the Hinterhag easy walk from Saalbach centre at end of day for a spot of Après NehNeh
ski holidays
Webcams are looking stunning today, I can't wait to get out there!
latest report
SCOUSE, You know what us Wirralians are like.
Piccadilly, They certainly do. We had poor visibility most of the week, maybe 2 days of clear skies and only a dusting of fresh. Lots of pistes badly chopped but you could still find ones in perfect condition. Quite warm also so even after the bashers had been out it wasnt long before they were getting mogulled again.
Still loved it.

Just checked on my lift pass skiline.cc and the day i covered 70 km i did less than 8000m vertical. Suprised as it felt more, i was hoping i would have managed my first "Everest".
ski holidays
Guys, thanks for the very useful tips.
snow report
My mate just made this video:
deep powderdays in saalbach-hinterglemm from Oliver Weigl
http://vimeo.com/57276722

Looks pretty miserable, where are the piste bashers when you need them?!
ski holidays
That looks like fabulous conditions, and a significantly bigger dump than I enjoyed had during the Christmas week. Some nice wide open tree skiing and some that looked a bit too oppressive for me ... I do like to be able to see the horizon Laughing. Enjoyed the faceplant @ about 4 minutes but not the music but I suppose it's in keeping with usual Austrian apres ski music torture. Toofy Grin
latest report
moffatross, it is a god-awful song Laughing It must be in the charts 'cos the H&M I work at insists on playing it (and other similarly awful music) on loop.
snow report
Another question. Last year we enjoyed the après the Goassstall. I know they then turn it into a restaurant after the après but I think someone said that later on in the evening it turns back into a bar with music. Anyone know? Cheers.
latest report
Just 5 days until we arrive and a fresh dump of snow incoming this week - looks like its going to be perfect Smile)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For anyone heading to Saalbach/Hinterglemm with Neilsons see if you can catch the eharmony dating website advert. On it is a guy called Jon who happens to be the lead rep for the area. Only saw it last night after arriving back on Saturday.

Wish i had known prior as he would have got some stick as i got the impression he thought he was the dogs swingers. Little Angel
ski holidays
Becstar, should be wonderful conditions.

P.s. everyone needs to behold the wonder of the hinterhagalm version of gangnam style.
snow report
We're going with Neilsons - will endeavour to find the advert Neh Neh
latest report
Heading to Hinterglemm on 2nd Feb. Going with Neilsons as well (will try to remember to have a pop at Jon too) but I have been told I have 3 days ski guiding with package I bought. Girlfriend is in ski school as a complete beginner so i am relying on the ski guide to some extent but just wondering how this works. In my mind I will be off for the mornings and be able to drop back around lunchtime and scoop GF for a spot of lunch and then see how she is getting on with the skiing. Staying at the Karawenserai (think that's how you spell it). Anyone else staying there on or around 2nd Feb?
snow conditions
divekris, I'm staying in the Hotel Konig in Saalbach from 2nd Feb with friends, and so is Chasseur and his son - I'm sure we'll see you in the Goassstall!

I'm sure you won't have a problem guiding in the morning, then going back to meet your GF for lunch. From the sounds of it, the lift system is very efficient, so as long as you're not miles away in Leogang, it shouldn't take you long to get back from wherever you are.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 14-01-13 18:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Thanks Piccadilly, no doubt see you in the Goassstahl indeed.
snow conditions
pjd, Restaurants accessible by pedestrians (non-skiers can purchase special 'Sun Ticket' lift tickets from the ticket offices - €71 for 7 days - or separate tickets as required):

Saalbach:

Bernkogelbahn has Backstatt Stall at the bottom (in the centre of the village) and the Barnalm at the top of the gondola, (but by far the best food on this run is at the Westernstadl, which is not accessible on foot),
Hinterhagalm is at the top of the Turm chair lift (pedestrians can ride up on the chair lift, but need to walk down) - but however great the apres ski is here, the lunchtime food is no great treat,
From the mid-station of the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn (the 5 red tin cans) its a short walk to the Asteralm or Ederalm - these can also be reached from the top of the 3-man Kohlmais chair lift, which allows pedestrians to ride up and down,
Sky Rest at the top of the Schattberg gondola has stunning views and good food,
Wildenkarhutte is at the top of the Schonleiten gondola and the Rachkuchel and Hochwartalm are at the Schonleiten midstation - Wildenkarhutte wins my vote, for the views over to Zell am See and beyond. Take the free Jausern ski bus to the gondola station.
If eating at the bottom of the pistes, Kohlmais Stub'n on 51 has excellent food; accessible on foot by walking up the street past the Kohlmais lifts

Hinterglemm:

Sportalm and Wieseralm are at the top of the Reiterkogelbahn gondola, Goasstall at the bottom.
There is a nice walk up from opposite the Eishalle up to the Rosswaldhutte (on Piste 27/2Cool. The Currywurst is highly recommended.
Take the bus to the Hochalmbahn for access to the Hochalmhutte and Sonnhof.
The Winklerhof is at the mid-station of the Zvolferkogelbahn, with the 12'er Treff at the top.
Finally. the Westgipfelhutte is at the top of the Westgipfelbahn.

There are a few more, but this should be enough to be getting on with
snow report
divekris, With the ski guiding you tend to have a preset itinary so you will know where you are headed. If it doesnt suit you can drop out at any point, of course after informing your guides.

If you are at the lower end of the valley it could take a while to ski and lift back but if you prefer you can drop down into the valley and bus it back to Hinterglemm. So basically plan ahead.

Becstar, divekris, We got back Saturday and the three of us saw the advert last night and were immediately texting each other. You never know you might find him appealing.
latest report
For those arriving early on Saturdays, it is possible to use your 6-day Sunday-Friday lift ticket from 3 pm on Saturday afternoon - BUT this relies on the reps getting the ticket to you, which doesn't always happen until the Welcome Meetings after dinner on Saturday evening. So if you are planning to ski for an hour or so on your arrival Saturday, you might want to consider buying the lift ticket yourself in resort rather than from the rep on the transfer coach. Ask for a Sunday-Friday 6-day ticket - for some reason, some of the ticket office staff seem reluctant to tell you about the 'previous afternoon' offer, but it's stated clearly on the piste-map leaflet (under the 'skipass system' heading).

Beginners might want to consider buying a 'Points Card' rather than a full-price lift ticket - a 6-day ticket costs €209-€220, whereas a Points Card costs €100 for 1,000 points, which will usually be ample for a beginner (e.g. Turm Lift only costs 16 points per ride) for a week. If a top-up is needed later in the week, 500 points cost €50.
snow conditions
divekris wrote:
Heading to Hinterglemm on 2nd Feb. Going with Neilsons as well (will try to remember to have a pop at Jon too) but I have been told I have 3 days ski guiding with package I bought. Girlfriend is in ski school as a complete beginner so i am relying on the ski guide to some extent but just wondering how this works. In my mind I will be off for the mornings and be able to drop back around lunchtime and scoop GF for a spot of lunch and then see how she is getting on with the skiing. Staying at the Karawenserai (think that's how you spell it). Anyone else staying there on or around 2nd Feb?

Would normally expect your gf to eat with her ski group and instructor, but it will be no problem joining them for lunch - just ask the instructor where/when they plan to stop for lunch (if she's a beginner it's quite likely to be Bauer's Ski Alm, but depends on her level and which school she's with).

Of course you and your gf can go off for lunch alone too, but it's not exactly ideal form the instructor's point of view if everyone disappears at lunch leaving alone with just one client, and the social side/group dynamics of ski school is pretty important too, for everyone to have a good week.
snow conditions
clarky999, divekris, The Karawanseri is in Hinterglemm, so GF is unlikely to be eating in Bauers in Saalbach - I don't know where Snow & Fun / Ski Activ / Ski Alpin take their guests for lunch in Hinterglemm.
snow conditions
quinton, That's brilliant. Thanks very much.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy