Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Snow/Weather 2012/13 season.

Poster: A snowHead
Kilgore, occasionally went up the Canazei lift when the Campitello queue was insane. Was never a queue at Canazei. Bus stop for Alba is right outside anyway, so if the queue looks insane just hop on the bus and try later.

Done Marmolada many times. Choose a nice day, and IME go there first thing and there'll be no real queue for the cable car there.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andy, Oh I dunno... there was a great view from my seat on the 18th mogul.... wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep have been up the Marmolada too. It's a pretty long gentle blue run down to the gondola (which goes up in 3 stages), can't remember seeing any boarders going along there, but it should be just steep enough to keep going on a board (I might be remembering it being shallower than it actually was).

It's a lovely long route down from the top.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We had a relative beginner boarder with us last year, and I think he managed to keep going all the way down to the Marmolada lift - I don't remember waiting long anyway. The route to get to the Marmolada is quite long, but well signposted, so I echo the above - go early and pick a nice day, there's plenty to do around Porto Vescovo on the way back, too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks again for all your input. Probably best to plan each day by the weather outlook. Would be good to get up high on a clear day.

I will leave my apres ski researh until I get there.........an excuse to try them all out really! wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andy wrote:
Kilgore, occasionally went up the Canazei lift when the Campitello queue was insane. Was never a queue at Canazei. Bus stop for Alba is right outside anyway, so if the queue looks insane just hop on the bus and try later.

Done Marmolada many times. Choose a nice day, and IME go there first thing and there'll be no real queue for the cable car there.

Agree with both these statements. The only time I have seen a long lift queue at the Canazei lift was the weekend before Russian Christmas - so you had local Italians, distant Italians and Russians all at the same time.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We had no queues to get up Marmolada. But then I didn't heed andy's, advice and tried squeezing it in after lunch. A couple of wrong turns (overshooting lifts so had to carry on to the next) and we managed to get on our last lift 5 mins after it should have closed Embarassed

Had a drink at Walter's when we finished and didn't see anyone come down the run behind us and it was dark by the time we left so we had a close shave.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hammerite, we got chased off by piste patrol last year. Well more "followed down". He refused to go past any of us until the flattish last 100m by the Portovescovo lift station, where all the piste bashers were waiting.
Not sure which lift you could have overshot? The big long slow one where you have to go the right side of the drag lifts (or is it left?)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On our way up we stayed on the lift all the way to the top of the Portovescovo, didn't realise we could get off at the mid station for the Marmolada, then yes the long slow one. There's a hut on the left which you go up to and past the other side of the drag lift - we didn't see a sign and went right, and only realised when we saw the drag lift was fenced off the whole way and we couldn't cut across to the lift we needed.

Not a big problem in general, but we did start to fret realising we were already pushing it to make the lift.

Our first mistake was the one that made us pushed for time really as that lift is pretty slow (compared to the big bus direct to the top of the Portavescovo).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hammerite, yep makes sense. Mid station does have "get off here" arrows for Marmolada Wink And Everyone does make the mistake of going the wrong side of the drag lifts on the way down towards Malga Ciapella Wink (again it is actually signed - the reason I know this is because of making that mistake once Wink )
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think I just ignored/didn't notice/knew better wink for the signs at the mid station, but we definitely see a sign at all to go the other side of the drag, it just looked like a little incline to go up if you wanted to stop at that hut.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
While we are chatting about that area how do you get to the lift that goes up from the lake between Marmolada and Portovescovo? Its way down below the glacier.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tiffin, I have never seen that lift working
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi I'm a boarder and went to Arabba in 2008 and yes the run down to the Marmolada Cable Car does get very shallow but as long as you have some speed and don't fall over it's o.k. I fell over on my first attempt Embarassed but I was still able to get down albeit a bit slower. It's truly worth it though, I went to the top several more times during the week as it was my favourite run in the area.

Going back this year, this time staying in Canazei I am very excited, please keep us updated with the conditions and your experiences, they're great to read Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snowing in Canazei this morningØ=Þ [size=8:2e6ab745ba\](via SMS)
snow report
That's good to hear. Looks like we are going to get some moderate falls this week. 6 days and counting. Very Happy
latest report
tiffin, like riverman, I don't think that lift was working when we went over either, which was only the once.
ski holidays
First day today. There was about 2 cm of fresh snow at resort level on waking and it has snowed lightly all day. Visibility has been quite variable with very flat light at times. Skied from Alba to Pozza and back this morning. All pistes quiet and in excellent condition. Then came back to Canazei, up to the top of the Belvedere, and all the way down to the bottom on del Bosco which had some gorgeous soft lumps. Up to the top on the Campitello side for a late lunch of an extremely tasty goulash soup at Rif Friedrich August, the skies all the way back and up to the top of the Belvedere again. The light had become exceptionally flat so stopped for our first Bombardino of the holiday before skiing back into the village. 32.8 miles covered acceding to the GPS
ski holidays
My first visit and very impressed, the Italians put alot of effort into fun parks for the kids, plenty of things I could imagine my kids enjoying, shame the season doesn't seem to stretch into April though Sad

sunny yesterday, light to moderate snow all day today...

packed pistes Sat 12th by kitenski, on Flickr

Sunday 13th as cloud cleared by kitenski, on Flickr
snow conditions
Looks pretty kitenski, here's hoping to snow all week ready for my arrival on friday.
ski holidays
norris, it's been snowing all night and looks like it could continue all day!!
latest report
in Selva skiing Sella Ronda clockwise. Still snowing lightly. No sun but adequate visibility. Beautiful on-piste soft snowØ=Þ (via SMS)
snow conditions
Skied the Sella Ronda clockwise today. Snowing all day but never very heavily. Cloud level was low so often skiing in the mist. Taking Sella Ronda newbies along the red/blue into Colfosco we had to inform them that the views are usually spectacular here! Lunched at Rif Plan Boe - lovely soup😊. The red down from Porto Vescovo was busy and lumpy as usual. Generally the snow today has been beautiful and soft, but in the poor light the inevitable increased lumpiness as the day goes on gets tiring when you can't see it.
ski holidays
Freddie Paellahead,

Thanks for posting your reports - nice to know it is snowing !! -- only two weeks to wait for me Smile
latest report
albob wrote:
Freddie Paellahead,

Thanks for posting your reports - nice to know it is snowing !! -- only two weeks to wait for me Smile
+1 for me too! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Snowing heavily this morning in San cassiano..
snow report
kitenski, you've got a couple of days of heavy *POW* to look forward to / dread
snow report
red 27, unfortunately en route home.....found some boot high to the side of the piste yesterday evening..........suspect it would have been great out there today!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, it was indeed! Currently in Selva with Mrs Lib and the Lib-ettes, snowed all last night and on and off today - but also a bit of sun and fog today - currently stopped snowing here but we had 30cm ish to play in today - lots of fresh powder to play in off the pistes today around Campinoi and Col Raiser and pistes great too! I think it's forecast to keep snowing on and off all week so should be lots more powder days for us and for anyone coming soon the pistes are going to be superb! snowHead
latest report
Just 2 and a half weeks and then a whole host of snowheads will be descending. Can't wait Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
SteveM, one and a half for some.... snowHead
snow report
Smokin Joe wrote:
SteveM, one and a half for some.... snowHead
Indeed! Bring it on Toofy Grin
snow conditions
you can now ski the ronda in Google Street View !

http://www.valgardena.it/?pagid=654&artid=2106&lang=eng

I found it harder than doing it for real Wink
snow conditions
The hotel's network went down yesterday just as I was trying to post a long report😔. Basically it said that yesterday snowed most of the day and there was patchy visibility though the sun came out for the first time this trip at 3pm. Today off to the Hidden Valley. Another 2-3cm at village level overnight.
ski holidays
some crazy amounts of snow now forecast for early next week! Shocked
latest report
albob, I tried doing this before we went out, and gave up about 1/4 mile outside Arabba, with Arabba being the starting point!
latest report
Windy and snowing moderately in Canazei. Sticking in the trees best. Some reasonably deep on-piste powder in places. (via SMS)
ski holidays
Freddie Paellahead, assume you've canned the hidden valley until visibility improves????
snow report
A week on Saturday and counting.....
snow conditions
Another powder day today - snowing when we woke and just harder all day - pistes covered in powder and just off the piste it was knee deep - cold and poor vis up top but fine in the trees - spent most of the day over at Plan Gralba and Piz Seteur - nice area and quite quiet - all in all a fab day topped off with a bombardino! Still snowing hard now so should be more of the same tomorrow fingers crossed!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy