Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Snow/Weather 2012/13 season.

Poster: A snowHead
hammerite, just about to say the same about the photos. Regarding Easter I would also leave as late as possible. Last year we we there at the end of Feb and it was the worse year I've experienced for snow coverage but nearly all runs in the area were open. A few weeks later it dumped down. Previous years have apparently been OK at the end of March/beginning of April with heavy snowfalls albeit sporadic. I guess the snow doesn't hang around long though due to warmer temperatures.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks guys. Will leave it until later then - and may have broken and booked somewhere else by then (I'm rubbish at holding out for last minute).

Will look at the photos, think it doesn't like skydrive, I had to fiddle with them as they were originally showing as huge photos.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The wife and I are off to Selva back end of Jan, got a great deal with a TO and am now finally making the long awaited trip to the Dolomites that I have craved for. Both of us snowboard and I was wondering if there is a "best way" round the Sella Ronda for boarders, I am sure I have read it is anti-clockwise somewhere once upon a time but I cannot find the post again.

If anyone fancies giving up a little more info I have a couple more q's:

Are there a lot of flats in general or are the runs just a little more mellow than the usual? I have read Alpe Di Suisi is to be avoided for boarders, any other areas?

I believe we will have to buy a bus pass for the week, does this cover the whole ski area? The OH likes to get the ski legs going on the first day doing lots of laps and not trekking to far. I like the look of the runs at Ortisie, is this easy enough to get to/from by bus or is it best to ski to?

Thanks in advance
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
scoman, you will need a Dolomiti ski pass not a bus pass to ski the area.which is huge. Is your TO offering a show you around the area day, if so it is worth doing . The Sella Ronda is signed posted orange in one direction and green the other way round. You should use the Sella Ronda as a means to acess all the different ski areas which are waiting to be explored and not as busy as the Sella Ronda circuit itself which can be gone around in 3 to 4 hours .
There are a few flat areas which i am sure a fellow snow boarder will be along soon to tell you about them, from a skiing point of view it is generally considered that clockwise is the best way to go but both ways are good fun. Iwould agree that going to Ortisie is good idea and also to avoid Alpe Di Suisi is best avoided if you are a Snowboarder.
I base myself in Arabba when in Dolomites but there are Snowheads who stay in the Selva area who should be along to offer further information.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The blue run anticlockwise into Arabba is a bit flat apparently. Not been round the Sella Ronda this way (yet) so I don't know just how flat it is.
Might see you around then as I'm in Selva Jan 26-Feb 6. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hammerite wrote:
Seriously thinking about going back at Easter. Mentioned this to our instructor and he said "do you like walking then?".

Now this isn't a what's the weather/conditions going to be like in 3 months time post, but in past years has a lot of the snow cover gone by the end of March/beginning of April?

I was there last Easter, slush, slush and more slush. The Portovescovo cable car was even closed 3 days out of 7.

If it was my first time it would have put me off the area for sure. However the week after we left it got cold gain and they had a bit of a dump. You pays your money, you takes your chance.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anti clockwise has 1 flat path that's not very long heading back towards Campitello from Selva, and part of the aforementioned blue into Arabba is flattish, but should maintain momentum I think (I don't ever recall needing to pole - just slide). Wouldn't let either put you off.
Clockwise, I can't think of anywhere flat.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
scoman,

Actually you do need a bus pass to use the SAD bus (Skipass does not suffice). They are 6Euro from most village shops. You can try winging it, but if 'Blakey' catches you he'll get pretty grumpy and hit you with a fine. wink

Dantercepies is perfect for busting in those ski legs. You can take it as easy or as hard as you like. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andy,

The track that you are reffering to (Out of Piz Seteur heading towards Rodella) is a serious pile of poling/skating. Confused
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
scoman, I spent my second week of boarding in the area, and have returned every year since. There's not too many flat bits, really, and the only run that bugs me is a particular piece of the blue spaghetti that covers the hills of Corvara. Even looking at a piste map though, I can't remember which one it is....

As for the Sella Ronda, clockwise is generally better. It does have one flattish section on the way down from Col Rodella (easy to get over, unless you're not expecting it - kinda hidden round a corner) but otherwise fine. Anti-clockwise has the flat bit andy refers to above (technically possible to carry enough speed, but it's narrow so you're bound to get stuck in traffic - not too long though) and the flattish blue back to Arabba (generally fine for anyone except beginners, but dull) and a couple of flat-ish run-outs on the approach to lift stations between Arabba and Corvara. There's also an annoyingly traversey bit towards Canazei. However, I think the main reason it's not so good is that you feel like you're spending too much time on lifts.

IMV, the best bits of the Dolomites are off the Sella Ronda though. Runs are generally mellow, but there's some truly epic stuff if you know where to look.

[Edited due to me not knowing which way a clock goes.... rolling eyes ]

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 3-01-13 0:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Clockwise is Orange - don't recall too many flat areas other than part of the blue back to Arabba for about 200m or so, after which it should be possible to get enough momentum to reach the town. One does indeed seem to spend a fair amount of time on the lifts.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chasseur wrote:
Clockwise is Orange - don't recall too many flat areas other than part of the blue back to Arabba for about 200m or so, after which it should be possible to get enough momentum to reach the town. One does indeed seem to spend a fair amount of time on the lifts.

Sorry, got my clock back-to-front! It is also possible to come to a halt just after the Plan Boe on the way back to Arabba, I guess, but easier still to come to a stop in the Plan Boe for a Bombardino or two.... Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 3-01-13 0:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Did wonder about that sense of direction Wink Not a problem going the wrong way, so long as it's consistent! Going the wrong way 1 run from home might be a challenge (but is a challenge that has been successfully completed).

That "serious pile of poling/skating" has been nearly cleared by me non-stop, on skis. But as harrisontherabbit, said, chances are you'll hit a wall of snowploughers and a boarder trying to eek out the last tiny bit of momentum, and have to add to the traffic jam. But 100m of wiggly track on a 40km loop is basically nothing. Have to walk further from the boot room to the lift.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the replies. So clockwise it is Laughing

Thanks for the pointers on the flats, the OH usually blames me if we happen to stumble across a cat track or flat as I should know every inch of every ski resort even if I have not been there before. I will now just shoot off to the nearest bar and leave her to walk.

Sorry for the confusion, we obviously have lift passes I was referring to busing to different lift stations instead of skiing. I am use to free ski buses in Cham, Morzine etc but have read that we need to buy a pass in the Dolomites. Think we can stretch the budget to 12 euros to cover us both for the week but was just wondering if these bus tickets would cover all the buses we would need in the ski area. and if it is easy just jumping on a bus to Ortisie on the first day.

Really looking forward to a change of scenery and Italian hospitality.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Unless you are desperate to go to the unconnected bits a bus pass shouldn't be necessary, more than enough to do in a week.
snow conditions
Vaguely recall a discussion here before about buses not included on the lift pass, but I don't recall the general concensus.

There's no need for a bus between Selva-Santa Cristina-Ortisei.

Only bus we've ever used was Canazei-Alba, and I've never seen anyone stamp a ticket. Nice black run there coming back down under the cable car Smile
snow report
The answer about the buses is that some are included in your lift pass (e.g. Canazei to Alba) and some aren't (e.g. Armenterolla to the Hidden Valley) - but they are marked as different colours in the piste map (Blue included, red not IIRC)
snow report
Thanks again all, Freddie that is v helpful. I am hoping to do the hidden valley when the wife has her day off, I gather a taxi ride exit is needed.
latest report
1. If staying in Selva then you can only get the bus down the valley to St Christina and Ortisei. This indeed does cost 6 Euros for the week. There are no busses from Selva over the pass to Corvara or Canazei. You would have to ski to both these areas using the Sella Ronda routes, drive yourself or get a taxi.

2. You can use the bus from Selva to get to St Christina to get the Col Raiser gondola up to part of the Seceda area above Ortisei. Also from St Christina there is a two seater chairlift up to MOnte Pana area from where you pay for another bus to take you to Alpe Di Siusi.

3. If you continue on the bus from Selva to Ortisei you can get the gondola and cable car up to Seceda area. Or you can cross the main road and get the gondola up to ALpe Di Siusi.

4. As mentioned in another post you can ski from Selva to the MOnte Pana area or down to St Christina to get the gondola across to Col Raiser and the Seceda area. You don't really need to use the busses unless your accomodation in Selva is a long way from the Ciampinoi or Dantercepie gondolas.

5. Alpe Di Siusi area does indeed have a few flats. I can think of at least two sections. However you just need to get enough speed up and you will be fine. Both sections are on two of the quieter runs so you don't have to worry about lots of people slowing you down.

6. Even though ALpe Di Siusi is a nice quiet area to ski, I would choose to go up to the Col Raiser and Seceda areas before ALpe Di Siusi.
snow report
scoman, Taxi from Armentarola to get to the Hidden Valley (€6 a head I think), skiable out. Although you like most you might prefer the horse drawn way across the flat (€2).
latest report
The ski buses on the great war tour are included on the Dolomiti superski pass. They go from Malga Ciapela to Alleghe, then from Pescul to Fedare. From Fedare you can ski/lift to the Lagaziou cable car, then ski the Hidden Valley.

A lot of hassle just to avoid the €6 charge, but it is a great tour nonetheless. However it does beg the question why if these buse are included then why is the bus from Armentorola to Lagaziou not included Puzzled
snow report
"...However it does beg the question why if these buse are included then why is the bus from Armentorola to Lagaziou not included ....."

looks like the different 'Communes' have taken different decisions on 'free' busses - Val di Fassa = free : Selva = charge : Corvara = not sure??

There is a 'local' bus service, just not sure if it is included in pass (san cass to lagaziou) -- however, such is the demand, local enterprise has taken over and private buses and taxis dominate...
ski holidays
counting down the days now til my first visit to the Dolomites Smile

What's folk's favourite (and reliable) weather site? We are off to San Cassiano on Thursday.

cheers,

Greg
snow report
kitenski,

Not weather but webcams, just as a teaser.

http://www.altabadiaski.info/pages/mp.php?getpage=webcam&se=E
snow conditions
Kel, yeh I'm sorted for webcams Smile

and weather from j2ski and snow-forecast, just trying to find a good Italian local weather site...

http://gregh.co.uk/php/gfsruns.php?select=San+Cassiano
snow conditions
Meteo Italia? http://www.meteo.it/previsioni-montagna/Arabba/istat-3100019
(San Cassiano isn't on there, so that page is Arabba. Some snow forecast mid week, it seems.)
ski holidays
Kitenski

Weatherunderground is an interesting site - gives reports from amateur stations and tourist agencies ; an example in the link for Arabba......

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=46.499%2C11.875&sp=IVENETOL7

Have a look.....
latest report
I found this to be pretty accurate when we were out there.... http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/en/html/meteo_dolomiti.php
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A little more diversification, but does anybody know if the skitrain between Pozza and Pera is open as usual and if it runs on Sundays?? I looked at the Fassa site today and it seemed that the ski bus service between Pozza and Pera wasn't running.
ski holidays
the bus timetable is on this page - it shows a bus between pozza and pera : but we are talking italy, so who knows ??!!?? Smile

http://www.fassa.com/en/Skibus-service/
snow report
kitenski, offpiste trip?

I am going out to Corvara on the 18th for a week with Francesco Tremolado (local mtn guide/guide book author) Cool

Praying for a refresh....
snow conditions
albob, Yes I have seen this, but this page updated daily

http://www.valgardena.it/en/open-lifts-and-slopes/page357.html

seems to suggest that the skibus between Pozza and Pera isn't running, so I wondered if the mini train they have between the two is different?? Just fancied doing a loop Alba, Pezza, Pera, Campitello. I can find out in resort, but wondered if anyone had the knowledge.
latest report
mfamily2
The timetable does say 'some' services may not run 'out of season' - ive not been in January, so don't know if they count that as 'out of season' !!??!!

When you said Train, I was thinking of a big Diesel/Steam thingy - not the Noddy variety !! Smile

http://www.fassa.com/IT/FassaExpress/ ....... this one !!
latest report
and this doesnt look good for you - if it is suspended in summer, what hope for winter....

http://www.fassa.com/EN/Shuttle-trains-and-shuttle-busses/
snow conditions
albob, Where there's a will there's a way..............I suspect it will be running, the little train that is, but if not I will find an alternative, it was just an idea and will become apparent when we ski down into Pozza. The one in Canazei runs in January and throughout the ski season., so I would imagine Pozza to Pera is no different.
snow conditions
Hi folks, I will be out in Canazei with at least 3 others from the 19th.

We are a bunch of 45+ years boarders, with a 51 year old first timer who is a very good skateboarder.

Looking forward to it and will post up any reports if I can get a wifi signal. Not been before. Previous visits to Andorra and Alpe D'Huez.....can't wait.
snow conditions
Kilgore,

i stayed in Canazei a couple of years ago - there is only one lift out of the village ; this is fine most of the day, but try to avoid the 'rush hour' (which is 9.30-10.00, if my memory is correct).
Don't forget to try Alba (just up the valley by bus), a quieter area with a lovely black back down to the valley. I ignored it on my first visit, only discovering it when taken there by a ski rep - Recommended !!
snow report
albob, agreed, Alba is worth a visit - particularly for the "Race the Gondola" competition descending on the black back down.
You really just need to avoid 9.45 on the lift out of Canazei because ski school starts at 10 at the top of the lift IIRC.
I will be going up that lift on Sunday whoop whoop Very Happy
snow report
Nice black run that. One of my favourites. Spoiler
But not sure it's Schuss in Boots's favourite Wink
snow report
Thanks for the info. Yes, I have heard about the lift up to Belvedere and that just reinforce my thoughts so will definitely head up to Alba on a 'hangover' day when we don't get to the lift before 9.

Looks as though there are endless runs to try out but we will need to avoid any flat areas obviously. Will probably do the clockwise Sella Ronda and then check out any areas for a possible return. Anyone been up on the Marmalade?

Also looks like we have had plenty of pre Christmas snow so the base looks good. A lot of talk of snow in the south of the uk early next week and it looks at though that system will be moving down the the Alps after to leave a nice little top up before we arrive. Here's hoping. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy