Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Snow/Weather 2012/13 season.

Poster: A snowHead
top up forercast for Boxing Day Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mollerski, Chasseur is in Arabba same as me (we're not on holiday together!).

Also had a nightmare journey, left home at 5am, got here just after midnight. Lots of waiting in Friedrichshafen, then more waiting at a random service station near Landeck.

Concur with Chassuer though great first day, great second day. Pretty warm yesterday (at 5pm it was still +2c), even warmer today - but has cooled quite a bit this evening. My clean on today base layer smelt like a pair of 2 season old shin pads (TMI)! I sweat so much. Some of the runs were starting to get a bit cut up but still pretty good considering how warm it was.

Looking forward to the next few days as it's due to be cool so snow should be excellent.

Off to the Hidden Valley tomorrow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have also discovered Bombardino today, and I like a lot!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hammerite,

Try the Maxxi Bombardino at the Panorama, Dantercepies left, Selva. It's a tripple with whacks of cream and nuts in a knickerbocker glory glass. By the time you've gotton to the bottom, it's pure rocket fuel. Confused
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd noticed by the forecasts that the temps had shot up. We were shivering at -17 last week. Confused
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'll try and get over there. Kind of regretting booking ski school now. It's only 3 days but means we can't make the most of the area (lessons 11am-1pm). Will stick to private lessons from now on.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hammerite, If you make it to the Panorama, check the old boy owner's hair do. He uses a small black local mountain goat as a syrup. It's brilliant. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Laughing if I don't make it this time we're hoping for an Easter return so will get there then!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just got back from Selva, had a great time. I would just like to give a recommendation to anyone going to Selva who needs ski hire. We checked the shop inghams/ski total/Esprit wanted us to use ( ski 2000) and the choice was poor. Went over the road to Ski Toni ( wooden building next to glass bridge) excellent choice, good prices and very helpful friendly service.Hope that helps someone.

Skied from Selva to top of Marmolada then back via Canazei to complete Sella ronda in one day, My Tracks reported more than 50 Km.

Also hidden valley opened on our last day so finally got to ski it after 3 visits to the area. The taxi from Armentarola to the cable car is now 6 euros each. I wouldnt bother with the horse tow at the other end its not a bad skate along, approx 0.5 mile back to the lift.

Freefall
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bit cooler today, temps just above or below freezing depending in where you are. Starting to get cloudy to a relatively low level (around top of burz lift). Reasonable amount of snow forecast overnight tomorrow morning.

Did Hidden Valley first thing this morning then back to Corvara and do the Sella Ronda green route back to Arabba, seemed a lot of sitting on lifts! Stopped at Panorama as you suggested Mollerski, lovely lunch, didn't do the triple maxi bombardino, but got yodelled at by the Syrup man Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Panorama is not the best value in the area. Baita Sole on piz seteur is my fave in Selva (Monika is cuter than a cute thing. wink). Ruffugio Emilio Comici at the top of Piz Sella (chair not cable car) is one of the absolute tops for the whole area, fresh fish delivered everyday. Hard to get a table though.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 26-12-12 12:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Prefer Calimero to Bombardino (same thing, but with a shot of espresso)

38 sleeps...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i'd 2nd FreeFall's recommendation of Ski Toni - it's where i get my skis serviced
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't like coffee so Bombardino will do me. It's pretty much the only hot drink I like.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
well the threatened weather has finally arrived in Arabba! Snowing at resort level and dumping up high. Not much vis though...hot chic and rum time at Mister X. Piste conditions great and maybe some off piste lessons beckon tomorrow. Right, back to the choc and rum Happy (via SMS)
latest report
hammerite wrote:
got yodelled at by the Syrup man Laughing

Last year a group of about 12 of us turned up at the Panorama, and the only table that looked big enough was occupied by a single, very odd-looking man who tried to entice us to sit with him. Since he looked like he was taking refuge from the local asylum (like the man that nobody will share a seat with on the bus), we declined - only later to realise that this was the (yodelling, hair-slicked) proprietor Embarassed He then proceeded to go to each table in turn and sing at them. An "interesting" experience...
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
Chasseur, Where are you based?

The Sport Hotel, Arabba...and verrry nice it is too Very Happy
ski holidays
Chasseur wrote:
...hot chic and rum time at Mister X.

Laughing maybe not quite!
snow report
Looks grim out there on the livecams. Confused
snow report
Chasseur, thanks for all the updates. We are out in Feb and also staying at the Sporthotel. Are you indulging in the free canapés in the bar before dinner? Can't believe they do as much for free at the bar considering its available to non guests as well.

If you get chance try the ribs at the Punta Trieste (the Owl bar) in the Pralongia area. The last time we were there, they were brilliant.

Hope the area is living up to your expectations.
snow report
pokemon wrote:
If you get chance try the ribs at the Punta Trieste (the Owl bar) in the Pralongia area.
+1 Happy
snow conditions
pokemon wrote:

If you get chance try the ribs at the Punta Trieste (the Owl bar) in the Pralongia area. The last time we were there, they were brilliant.

Oh no Shocked Now I've got more lunch-stops than there are days in my holiday Sad
latest report
Freddie Paellahead, you can always have more than one lunch Laughing
ski holidays
Adds the Owl Bar to my list..... Might not manage it today, we have a lesson in the morning then will try and get over towards La Villa before the lunch stop. I had an excellent germknoddel yesterday lunchtime at the self service at Passo Campolongo. Followed by an excellent evening meal at Miky's Grill, I don't think you can go too far wrong wherever you go to eat.

Met up with Chasseur for a beer too which was great.

Mollerski, it was pretty grim first thing yesterday. We held off a little before heading out - about 10.30 (mainly because Jnr wouldn't get out of bed). By the time we got out the rain had turned to snow and it was pretty good down in the trees. Was soaked by lunchtime though. Decided to persevere in the afternoon and was rewarded with fresh snow and bright sky's from 2.30pm onwards so skied pretty much until last lift.

Wasn't a huge dump yesterday, probably 10cm at most at the top of the passes. But less down in Arabba itself, still a nice top up and it seems to have cooled a bit more now so should be great when we get out there. Seemed like it only rained in San Cassiano and Corvara as it felt crunchy under ski yesterday afternoon.
ski holidays
hammerite, more snow forecast for tonight & tomorrow
ski holidays
I'm off to San cassiano on 10 th January for my first Italian ski trip. Coming with a very nervous friend who is looking forward to the gentle blues!!

Any other tips for lunch, good runs etc appreciated!!

Cheers,
Greg
snow conditions
Enjoying the reports. Thank you and will be heading out on 15 th. 3 days Passo Campolongo followed by a week in Corvara !!
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
I'm off to San cassiano on 10 th January for my first Italian ski trip. Coming with a very nervous friend who is looking forward to the gentle blues!!

Any other tips for lunch, good runs etc appreciated!!

Cheers,
Greg

You could not have picked a better resort for your nervous friend. San Cassiano is a nice little town, quite up market. Just head for the Pralongia plateau all the piste are wide well groomed cruisers, I remember being there earlier this year and even at lunchtime some of the quieter pistes were still corduroy.

If your nervous friend is up to it also do the hidden valley, but the top section is very steep.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, as already mentioned the Alta Badia region in general (La Villa, Pedraces, Corvara, Colfosco and San Cassiano) is probably the best area in the Sella region for beginners, intermediates due to the large number of long easy blue runs also with great scenery
snow report
kitenski,

Forgot to mention the Santa Croce, head for Pedraces, the run that leads down into the village (theres only 1 ) is probably the best cruiser in the whole of the Dolomites, and that's a bold statement. Do this run 3 or 4 times before lunch, then go to the Santa Croce for lunch. I gaurantee you will have a great day, but it would be hard not to wherever you decide to venture TBH.
latest report
kitenski,
I did some social ski guiding in the Alta Badia based in San Cass for a few years and it was great for building confidence in less than confident skiers. I loved the area and although I love my ski seasons in Chatel now I always check out the Dolomites web cams and the reports on here - hope I'll get back there some day.
latest report
Yes seems lovely down in San Cassiano, lots of tree lined runs.

Great conditions first thing, sunny and perfect pistes. Started to get a bit colder in the afternoon as some cloud drew in. Also started to get busy out there as the Italians have come on their new year holiday. Towards the end of the day had to take a bit more care on steeper slopes as they started to become scraped with lots of mounds of snow dotted about - good fun still snowHead

Last day tomorrow Sad
ski holidays
Sella Ronda orange route for us today with a slight detour to do Saslong red and black routes. Had a bit of a play around Corvara before heading back to Arabba where Jnr and I kept doing loops off the Burz lift until it got dark and shut.

Dusting of snow here first thing, brighter in the afternoon, pretty windy in places esp. heading over from Val di Fassa to Selva, then again at the top of Dantercipes. Was going to give Vallons a go, but watching the snow being whipped off the run made me think otherwise -think the lift would've been stop start.
latest report
hammerite, good to meet you too, and share a few beers snowHead

Surprised I didn't bump into you at the end of the day - was also doing a few loops above Arabba from the Burz lift having done the orange route earlier - in some extremely varied conditions i.e. cloud, fog, snow, blizzard/icy wind, sunshine - only rain was missing, really Toofy Grin

Anyway, conditions in the SR are superb right now - even saw some untracked, chair accessible off-piste heading up towards Portavescovo after the snow...not that I tried it Laughing
snow report
pokemon wrote:
Chasseur, thanks for all the updates. We are out in Feb and also staying at the Sporthotel. Are you indulging in the free canapés in the bar before dinner? Can't believe they do as much for free at the bar considering its available to non guests as well.

Hmmm - if Neilson were advertising the canapés as an exclusive thing to their guests, its a lie. They're not much to write home about...OK, but nothing special.

pokemon wrote:
Hope the area is living up to your expectations.

Outstanding area - am now a fan!

The Sporthotel is also outstanding - great location, service, food, facilities, rooms etc, etc....tends towards pricey, though. Will do a full trip report on that at some point.
latest report
Chasseur, glad you enjoyed it. The canapes aren't or weren't advertised by Neilsons. We just happened to be at the bar early for dinner one night and the bar was laden with strawberry kebabs and other savoury items. It seemed pretty good considering it was free if you were at the bar. Maybe we just hit it on a good night. 7 weeks on Saturday and we'll be there. Can't wait.

Post some photos if you get time. Cheers
snow report
Couple of photos for you Pokemon.

Looking over towards Pralongia (I think)

Looking up the Hidden Valley

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 1-01-13 18:06; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
Seriously thinking about going back at Easter. Mentioned this to our instructor and he said "do you like walking then?".

Now this isn't a what's the weather/conditions going to be like in 3 months time post, but in past years has a lot of the snow cover gone by the end of March/beginning of April?
snow conditions
Think last year a lot of the snow had gone by the beginning of March. But a lot of pistes apart from village nursery slopes remained open. But then as I recall it snowed at the end of the month and early April. However you can never tell how its going to be one year from the next. I would personally leave it till closer to the time before making any decision
snow report
hammerite, Your photos aren't showing up.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy