Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginners resort - 2nd week Jan

Poster: A snowHead
hi all,

sorry to open yet another thread to ask again about recommendations....

Last 3 seasons we spent a week skiing in La Rosiere (very good)....This season we want to try some other resort and have fun!!!!!

OH: 3 weeks skiing, still scared of speed, etc....Therefore blues and gentle/wide reds are a must....
Me: 4 weeks skiing, having fun on red/blue runs, did few blacks with instructor+on my own, but still long away to go to really enjoy the steep stuff

We are planning to go 6/7 Jan to 13/14 Jan and thought about leaving for the last minute to book this time. Either DIY or via TO (never used one).

We want to go chalet basis with meals provided. We will have to hire equipment, buy lift passes, book lessons, etc. Flying out from London (any). We are budgeting something like £900/each (but would like to spend less as we are not fussy about luxury) + pocket money to eat on the slopes.

What would be a good resort for beginners (specially OH), so she can relax and enjoy easy runs and lose fear of skiing (Italy, Austria, France)???....We are not bother about apres

Suggestions are very welcome.

cheers, rb51
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
redbaron51, La Tania would tick most boxes - the green/blue runs into the village are through trees and bring you out at the top of the nursery slopes, and the lift there is free so your OH could have a half day/day of pottering and getting her confidence back. There is also a red which is a bit tougher but still enjoyable with a few weeks under your belts. The village is traffic-free so you can ski back to the gondola and up again, or just for lunch. If you booked a private lesson for you both, that could really help to get over any little niggles and between two the cost isn't extortionate. Your dates are pretty well the lowest season too. Drop me a PM if of interest
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I reckon that La Plagne, Les Arcs or Cervinia could well fit the bill.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+ 1 for
Quote:
La Plagne

The resort is huge with 425km of piste across La Plagne and Les Arcs but it is ideal for intermediates because you can ski the vast majority of it on blue runs. There are plenty of really wide runs, especially in the Montchavin/Les Coches and Champagny areas - and a selection of black runs for you too.

We have some chalets in the area - link in my tag line - which come catered from £450 per person. This doesn't include flights, transfers and passes but is fully catered with a complimentary bar.

Happy planning!
Heather
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Austria Kuhtai, for your budget should get you all you need, very short transfer, 40km ish mainly blue/easy reds, Oetz on the same pass a short regular hop on the bus has about the same amount, slopeside accom, not sure about actual chalets, but the hotels do dinner, bed and breakfast. Compact friendly resort. I think Inghams are the main Brit T/O but you could probably get a better price going DIY.
It is high and snow sure too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
redbaron51,
You are doing exactly the right thing by waiting till late to book. The easiest runs are the ones with the best snow so look carefully at the snow conditions before you book. Nothing wrong with any of the above but if you haver ice on the runs even gentle greens become difficult.
(And don't believe what anyone says about resort x, y or z ALWAYS having good snow. The worst I have had was in Tignes which is meant to be ultra reliable.)

A few ideas if Austria is good then ski amade has some good gentle skiing as does the Ski Welt a bit further West.
In Italy the Dolomites are meant to be great for the gentle stuff though I have not been, Cervinia is very good from this respect as well. In the Southern French alps Serre Chevalier and Montgenevre both have some good gentle stuff.
In the Tarentaise La Plagne , Courchevel and La Rosiere all offer good easy skiing further north in the pre alps Les Gets is good and Le Grand Bornard has a very good reputation.

All of these should be good most years but in a bad year particularly early season you may be unlucky.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Courchevel is a good resort. I stayed at 1850 with Esprit Ski but I seem to recall their sister company Total Ski have something at 1650. 1650 has some good runs for beginners or nervous improvers (I put myself in that category). It is still easy to get to 1850 from 1650 but it is not as expensive.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
redbaron51, given that a lot of resorts suit your requirements, I,d definitely wait till much nearer the time to book. Then you,ll have pretty clear information on the snow.

If you want a British style catered chalet that will cut down your choice of resort - but it is often a good formula, and can reduce costs given that you have a pleasant sociable evening laid on, without having to go out to expensive bars. And "chalet tea" means that provided you have a good breakfast, lunch can be something very small.

Another consideration is the ski school, especially for your nervous OH. Les Gets might be a good place to go - there are a number of chalets there and a very good British ski school, BASS, which will help her confidence, with very small groups. There are other good schools there too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for Dolomites , and in particular corvara/ colfosco. Brilliant easy runs, super scenic, nite particularly expensive, great food and wonderful snowmaking / grooming.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't personally recommend booking last minute, I prefer to have something in the bag and just forget about it - but - there is a certain appeal to it if you can stand the tension... however if you're going DIY do at least book the flights in advance. There's no such thing as a last minute flight like there was in the old days. All there is now is a 'desperate punter price'.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thank you all for the suggestion so far....

I am quite interested in the Cervinia - Dolomites options....WHich accomodation - ski hire do you guys suggest???

In terms of TOs offering packages, I've found: crystal, inghams, igluski, thomson, j2ski, co-op, etc................Do you guys think I can find a very last minute offer to these destinations???? I am quite aware that DYI I need to book flights in advance, because the last 3 seasons I booked flights as early as September.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you want a specific resort the law of sod usually comes into effect if you wait too long.......
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi redbaron51,

If you can wait until 2 weeks before you travel or less, and are happy to compremise on things like resort, where you fly from and type of accommodation you can get some very good value deals - often as much as 70 or 80% off the original price - with tour operators.

However they are cheap because they are selling off what is left - so you are unlikely to get something which matches your criteria exactly. If you are unwilling to wait that late, or to compremise on the things above to get a deal, then I would recemmend booking earlier to make sure you get what you want.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
redbaron51,
If you intend to pick a tour operator package last minute it makes no sense to book a flight early. The package includes the flight, there is excess capacity early season, you will have o difficulty booking. Wheras it is possible that you may not get the precise resort you wanted it is likely that you will, especially if the resort is a popular one.
Whatever anyone says poor snow does exist early season in ALL resorts at times, if you book late you have a much bette chance of avoiding this unless the conditions are poor Europe wide.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd suggest dolomites. Their grooming is the best I have seen, they make brilliant stuff from 3+ week old snow.
Brilliant grooming is good for the more nervous types as it is flattering. On slope food generally good and affordable.

If you could delay to late January there is a good deal to Kronplatz area to be found in the snowEvents section. Not chalet, but half board Wink
latest report
redbaron51, if you would like some info about the Dolomites just drop me a pm - we have a chalet in Alba di Canazei or I can give you some info about the other nearby resorts Little Angel
ski holidays
I'd think as you are planning on going low season, there should be some choice of resort via TO if you wait until 2 or 3 weeks before your departure date.The websites you mentioned are a good place to look.

Many resorts will meet your needs, I would second Les Gets, Montgenerve or Samoens in France, or Valloire/Valmeinier. Italy, Dolomites would be good if you can find a deal, otherwise Madonna di Campiglio/Folgarida, Cervinia or possibly Pila. You don't necessarily need a huge ski area, so don't just go for a 'big name' resort, the lift passes are likely to be more expensive (but not always).

That time of year should be quiet in most resorts, which is good for building confidence. Make sure you book good quality lessons, ideally with a british ski school. Enjoy!
snow report
redbaron51 wrote:
hi all,

sorry to open yet another thread to ask again about recommendations....

Last 3 seasons we spent a week skiing in La Rosiere (very good)....This season we want to try some other resort and have fun!!!!!

OH: 3 weeks skiing, still scared of speed, etc....Therefore blues and gentle/wide reds are a must....
Me: 4 weeks skiing, having fun on red/blue runs, did few blacks with instructor+on my own, but still long away to go to really enjoy the steep stuff

We are planning to go 6/7 Jan to 13/14 Jan and thought about leaving for the last minute to book this time. Either DIY or via TO (never used one).

We want to go chalet basis with meals provided. We will have to hire equipment, buy lift passes, book lessons, etc. Flying out from London (any). We are budgeting something like £900/each (but would like to spend less as we are not fussy about luxury) + pocket money to eat on the slopes.

What would be a good resort for beginners (specially OH), so she can relax and enjoy easy runs and lose fear of skiing (Italy, Austria, France)???....We are not bother about apres

Suggestions are very welcome.

cheers, rb51

I would try Flaine or somewhere in the Grand Massif. The ski area is fantastic. You can get cheap flights to Geneva and it's just over an hour from the airport so transfers are cheap as well. There is a good choice of accommodation, try the solution room on chaletsdirect.com.
snow report
I'm a blue run skiier. I loved La Plagne. It was teh first resort I went to where I haven't felt really limited about where I could go and there were some seriously nice mountain restaurants.

It might be a bit dull for you but there were plenty of good skiers in our chalet who weren't bored. If you want to build you OH's confidence go for it.

We stayed in a lovely chalet down in Plagne 1800 and would go back (esp to our ski beat chalet) but links-wise Belle Plagne is probably better as the lift connections seemed better than Plagne Centre.

I've just booked that week for my group (we are going to Courcheval with 2 people at a similar level to your party and 2 expert skiers) and there was lots of availability in Plagne.

We've self organised in the past but used a TO last year. Maybe we were lucky but with the rise of flights from regional airports it is just easier. Add in the fact that the TOs have booked out all the low cost availability from my local airport it worked cheaper on a package and we won't be stressing about catching the altibus if the plane is late.
ski holidays
Just found this, half board and free drinks with dinner, includes ski hire tuition and passes

Your holiday details

Total party price(details)

£1629.40

Sale
Also includes:
All compulsory taxes and charges
Accommodation

Hotel Rododendro, Campitello

Crystal Ski Rating 3

2 Adults

7 nights Half board

Travel

London Gatwick to Verona

Sat 19 Jan 2013

Dep: 06:35

Arr: 09:40

Verona to London Gatwick

Sat 26 Jan 2013

Dep: 10:50

Arr: 12:05

Rooms

1 x Hotel room
( Sleeps 2-2 )
2 Adults

Extras
Return transfers by coach

Pre-bookable bundles

2 x Improver ski package (16-65 years)

Travel insurance

No insurance selected.

Please note it is a requirement of travel that you have valid insurance for the length of your stay.

For all those little extras

2 x CarbonNeutral (2-99 years)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy