Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Difficulty of black runs in Val d'Isere?

Poster: A snowHead
They are not likely to re-open the 3000 drag again - it hardly ever got used, the pisteurs hated doing a rescue inside the tunnel when someone slipped inside and did themselves a mischief a while back and finally closing that lift down was part of the wider agreements they had in terms of the overall lift planning across the EK.... when bearing in mind how Val and Tignes buffers the National Park.... it was a trade off concession and although there are plenty of us who miss the lift - loved lapping it on powder days, I think they only way to ski it now or anytime in the near future is to hike up!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@HoneyBunny, yeah it's that bottom bit that scares the heebie jeebies! Am I right in thinking there is an escape route about half way down?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steve Angus wrote:
They are not likely to re-open the 3000 drag again - it hardly ever got used, the pisteurs hated doing a rescue inside the tunnel when someone slipped inside and did themselves a mischief a while back and finally closing that lift down was part of the wider agreements they had in terms of the overall lift planning across the EK.... when bearing in mind how Val and Tignes buffers the National Park.... it was a trade off concession and although there are plenty of us who miss the lift - loved lapping it on powder days, I think they only way to ski it now or anytime in the near future is to hike up!

Is it true about an American exiting the tunnel at speed, while not knowing what lay ahead, taking big air and getting killed?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gerry,
Quote:

Is it true about an American exiting the tunnel at speed, while not knowing what lay ahead, taking big air and getting killed?

Can't believe it would be possible to exit that particular tunnel at speed. It didn't have much of a slope and insufficient room to push poles in to gain momentum. Imagine skiing through about 10 Anderson Shelters bolted together. A fatality on the rocky bit that followed more likely, though even that a long shot I think.
@Steve Angus,
Quote:

I think they only way to ski it now or anytime in the near future is to hike up!

Are you implying the tunnel is still open for keen hikers to enjoy? Mmmmm...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
intermediate wrote:
@Gerry,
Quote:

Can't believe it would be possible to exit that particular tunnel at speed. It didn't have much of a slope and insufficient room to push poles in to gain momentum. Imagine skiing through about 10 Anderson Shelters bolted together. A fatality on the rocky bit that followed more likely, though even that a long shot I think.
@Steve Angus,
Quote:

I think they only way to ski it now or anytime in the near future is to hike up!

Quote:

I went through it last December with a guide. There is a barrier but we just crawled under it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

With impeccable timing, I suppose you could jump off the Leissieres up 'n' over lift right at the highest point. Pause for a quick selfie, with the Lac du Chevril in the distance, perhaps a pique-nique et vin chaud, if time allows. Then an easy saunter up the ridge to the Tunnel. Better than hiking that steep slope?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NE1, it's one of my favourite pistes. The best thing about it is that 'it disappears from view'. You get away from the sound and sight of lifts and get a feeling of being in the wilderness that, in my experience, you don't often get piste skiing. I've only been there twice in late April but both times we only saw another couple of skiers while we skied it. Love it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sache looks smashing on this video -

http://youtube.com/v/O6YuV15ieSk

But then I've seen another where the steep bit through the trees is very icy and bumpy.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NE1 wrote:
@HoneyBunny, yeah it's that bottom bit that scares the heebie jeebies! Am I right in thinking there is an escape route about half way down?

You can ski the easy top section then bail onto a red before the tricky bit, yes. The red is quite steep though! It comes out just below the steep section on Sache, so you can look up and decide whether you could have braved it or not lol

That video above must be as good as it gets, I've never been down it and not seen big moguls where the netting bit is. The guy in the video appears to be powersliding down the steep section!!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 25-11-15 15:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Steve Angus wrote:

I feel tormented by that lift as having visited EK several years running the black has never been open. I went up the lift once but the run was shut and we came back down a mogul field next to the drag lift. I guess it'll remain as the 1 run there I've never done.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ed123 wrote:
@dogwatch, Silene is not that steep but I don't think it's bashed. It gets a bit of sun and can end up with fairly big and very icy moguls.

Thanks however I was asking about Signal.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

That video above must be as good as it gets, I've never been down it and not seen big moguls where the netting bit is. The guy in the video appears to be powersliding down the steep section!!

Every other video (and photo) I have seen has the massive moguls but were a bit grainy. It does rather make it look like a breeze.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@HoneyBunny, moguls and netting, OMG, I've just been sick!! 😱😱😱 I have a penchant for netting, so I would be bound to end up in it........

Just watched that video, I could do that! Where have the bumpy bits gone? I have never seen it without bumpy bits!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@NE1, only time I've seen it without moguls it felt like sheet ice; preferred the moguls!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gerry wrote:
intermediate wrote:
@Gerry,
Quote:

@Steve Angus,
Quote:

Quote:

I went through it last December with a guide. There is a barrier but we just crawled under it.

I dont think anyone got killed from exciting it at hight speed ever - I heard someone broke their leg IN the tunnel many years back and that was the problem but a death - I dont think so.

Yes the tunnel has been closed for ages but you can just crawl under the door into the tunnel if you like.... the ski on the other (Fornet) side is arguably worth the hike up - perhaps!
ski holidays
This thread and the one about blues got me searching out old piste maps. The first I have is 1999 and Silene is black. Ves (as it was then known) was a red. By my next map, 2004, it had become a black and by 2006 had become Guerlain Chicherit (and unpisted). Pramacou doesn't arrive on my piste map till 2012/13, but I'm missing map 10/11 so it could be there. We haven't been up the Ves chair since about 2002, it was so slow you hardly felt like you were moving and the ride up took longer than the ski down, I'm sure it took about 20-25 mins to get to the top and was so cold as it wasn't in the sun.
snow report
@NE1, Ves is rarely open early in the season and as I've been in January the last few times not done it for years but yes it is interminably slow
snow conditions
Ves was a pisted black last time I did it in about 2004. The chair was one of the slowest & longest I've ever been on. Me & my friend just got more & more nervous the further up we went! She fell on the first steep bit at the top but we enjoyed the rest of it. We had the whole run to ourselves - lovely. I've never been brave enough to try it since they stopped pisteing it though.

That year we were in ski school in the mornings & our instructor told us to spend our afternoons on blues, honing our technique. Needless to say, we ignored him & skied around scaring ourselves silly on blacks instead...
snow report
Quote:

That year we were in ski school in the mornings & our instructor told us to spend our afternoons on blues, honing our technique. Needless to say, we ignored him & skied around scaring ourselves silly on blacks instead...

On a chalet holiday in Les Gets, years ago, we learnt that a guest had broken her neck the previous week. She'd wanted to ski a particular black run but the instructor told her that her skills were not yet up to it. Silly man, she thought, and went with her daughter to do it in the afternoon.

Darwin award candidate? Not that she died, she was helicoptered off the mountain and went home flat on her back.

Silly cow.
ski holidays
Don't worry, we were fine on everything we skied - just easily scared! We were both pretty experienced even back then.

Our instructor that year was all about getting back to basics & practising our drills which was brilliant for us for half of the day, but then you just want to get out there & apply the skills you have learnt to the mountain, which we did.

I still have lessons nearly every year even though I first put on skis 31 years ago (gulp). Always something to learn...
latest report
sazza42 wrote:
we ignored him & skied around scaring ourselves silly on blacks instead...

What was the point of that? Puzzled

I can see why the better skiers on here like blacks to be left unpisted and as difficult as possible, to keep those types off them.
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:
sazza42 wrote:
we ignored him & skied around scaring ourselves silly on blacks instead...

What was the point of that? Puzzled

Because it's some people's idea of fun. Mine too sometimes. Why do you think people climb? Paraglide? Surf big waves?
snow conditions
The steeps in Val Despair, on and off piste, are good but not great.

The tourist-marketing board does a phenomenal job of making the skiing in Val-Tignes appear tougher than it really is.
snow report
^ I'm sure if someone who lives there took you off piste they would find terrain even beyond your outstanding ability.

dogwatch wrote:

Because it's some people's idea of fun. Mine too sometimes. Why do you think people climb? Paraglide? Surf big waves?

Scaring yourself silly doesn't sound much fun to me. Oddly enough, I've not met many people who find being terrified an enjoyable sensation.
snow report
Maybe I chose my words badly. Perhaps try substituting 'thrilled' for scared? I certainly don't advocate skiing beyond your ability which is what sounds like the lady in Les Gets did. That is truly scary & dangerous as it sounds like she found out.

Can we just bring this thread back to helpful advice on black runs in Val D'Isere? I apologise for unwittingly dragging it off topic...
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:
Oddly enough, I've not met many people who find being terrified an enjoyable sensation.

Yes it is odd. I've met plenty of people who find control of fear in risky situations to be exhilarating. It's far from unusual. Perhaps mostly a male thing but certainly not exclusively.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
The steeps in Val Despair, on and off piste, are good but not great.

Compared to where and what?
snow conditions
In the video above most of the skiers are patently incapable of skiing that run safely, under control. That's not the same as an expert skier taking on a challenge which will stretch them, and which entails some risk (e.g. of an avalanche). The risk of being crashed into by some out of control numpty who shouldn't be on the slope wouldn't be exhilarating for me (and the risk of being that out of control numpty would be worse).

You often hear of people being "in tears" and "sliding down on their bum" (very dangerous....) which doesn't sound like fun at all. But still the silly cows do it (yes, they are sadly often women, the lads seem to be more up for a challenge - far too much of a challenge, often).

I quite enjoy being in a risky situation sometimes, when there is no longer anything I can do about it other than ride it out (this happens more often sailing than skiing). That is exhilarating - but I'm sure there'd be some extreme conditions where I'd simply be terrified, and possibly very seasick, and hating every second of it, when other stronger and better sailors would still be at the "exhilarated" stage. But it's highly improbable I'd be out in those conditions - I know enough to avoid them, and don't sail with people who take big risks (actually, one or two of them used to, but are now too old!!).

It's a continuum.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I once ended up being one of those women sliding down on their bum - I've never been so embarrassed in my life! It was my first ever day in the mountains and my dear OH's navigation skills failed him, we took a wrong turn on an easy blue and ended up heading down a long, steep red covered with moguls. Sliding down was the best option in the circumstances but hopefully never to be repeated!

I'm reading this thread purely for interest (week in Tignes in Jan) but glad to note the few non-blacks being mentioned.
snow conditions
Quote:

In the video above most of the skiers are patently incapable of skiing that run safely, under control.

Which video?
snow conditions
T Bar wrote:
Quote:

In the video above most of the skiers are patently incapable of skiing that run safely, under control.

Which video?

The one on the previous page, named "Silene i Tignes".
latest report
Quote:

Ah, I must admit I don't think any skiers on that run at a quick look are really much of a danger to themselves or to others.
This is not to poo poo them, most of us who did not start when very young can remember being intimidated by this kind of situation, but in all honesty it is not steep and they are not travelling at speed. A fall is far less likely to be dangerous to anyone than when travelling quickly on other runs.
I feel sorry for them because they are clearly outwith their comfort zones but the actual danger element is minimal even if it does not feel that way.
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
Quote:

Ah, I must admit I don't think any skiers on that run at a quick look are really much of a danger to themselves or to others.
This is not to poo poo them, most of us who did not start when very young can remember being intimidated by this kind of situation, but in all honesty it is not steep and they are not travelling at speed. A fall is far less likely to be dangerous to anyone than when travelling quickly on other runs.
I feel sorry for them because they are clearly outwith their comfort zones but the actual danger element is minimal even if it does not feel that way.

I agree.
snow report
Most of them are incapable of skiing the run under control. Sort of slithering down it doesn't count. The moguls probably mean they are less likely to fall and then continue on their backs (or whatever) out of control but that does happen quite a lot. My comments about being hit by an OOCN or becoming an OOCN had more in mind runs like Le Face. And maybe the Swiss Wall and lots of other runs too - people do hurtle down that, on their backs, and I've seen people sliding a long way having fallen on not-very-difficult red runs. They don't need to be going very fast, especially if it's pisted rather than mogully, to lose it completely. And yes, of course they then become a danger to others, especially if the run is a bit busy. The fact is that quite a lot of people ski runs which are beyond their ability to ski well, and often do so too fast.

I was once skiing a red run in Praz sur Arly, with two French guys who overtook me, skiing a lot faster than I was. One was less skilled than the other and lost it totally, hurtling down the run for some distance, leaving his skis way up the slope. He was embarassed when an English OAP brought them down to him but his mate thought it was hilarious.

It wasn't really funny - if he'd fallen before they overtook me he could have taken me out completely. Shocked
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:
^ I'm sure if someone who lives there took you off piste they would find terrain even beyond your outstanding ability.

Indeed thats possible.

However in my experience there is terrain in most resorts I have been to in my life that could scare me... no matter how small or large the resort, tame and novice orientated the marketing may be there is always somewhere that can challenge!

Personally here in Val off the back of the Point Pers about 10 years ago there was a place I genuinely thought 'I will die if I fall'.

Such places are known as NFZ's (No Fall Zone's) all over the place. The Orientation Table from the top of Bellevarde can be hair-raising too!

OH and BTW I am not challenging anyone here to a 'scare-off'
snow report
@pam w,
I agree with much of what you say there but was not thinking those people on that run were any particular danger. In general I would say is is more people skiing too quickly who are a danger rather than those edging along very slowly though agree that sometimes the latter can lose it on steep slopes and go a long way.
snow report
@sazza42,
Quote:

Can we just bring this thread back to helpful advice on black runs in Val D'Isere? I apologise for unwittingly dragging it off topic...

...may be too late now...this thread seems to be in danger of veering out of control and may be about to take off skis and slide down on bum.
My advice for EK black runs is:
- don't stand gawping at it from the top too long
- take a couple of deep breaths
- pick a good line and stick to it unless forced to change
- keep going as long as you can rather than resting part way down
- don't take a celebratory selfie 'til you've come to a complete halt at the bottom
Sorted? wink
snow report
dogwatch wrote:
HoneyBunny wrote:
Oddly enough, I've not met many people who find being terrified an enjoyable sensation.

Yes it is odd. I've met plenty of people who find control of fear in risky situations to be exhilarating. It's far from unusual. Perhaps mostly a male thing but certainly not exclusively.

Attempting to a ski a run when you're not capable of doing it well or safely, and therefore scaring yourself, is just stupid.

Unlike you, I'm not talking about people who enjoy the thrill of high risk sports but are good at them.

pam w wrote:
In the video above most of the skiers are patently incapable of skiing that run safely, under control. That's not the same as an expert skier taking on a challenge which will stretch them, and which entails some risk (e.g. of an avalanche). The risk of being crashed into by some out of control numpty who shouldn't be on the slope wouldn't be exhilarating for me (and the risk of being that out of control numpty would be worse).

You often hear of people being "in tears" and "sliding down on their bum" (very dangerous....) which doesn't sound like fun at all. But still the silly cows do it (yes, they are sadly often women, the lads seem to be more up for a challenge - far too much of a challenge, often).

VERY well said, and the point I was trying to make.
ski holidays
Quote:

My advice for EK black runs is:
- don't stand gawping at it from the top too long
- take a couple of deep breaths
- pick a good line and stick to it unless forced to change
- keep going as long as you can rather than resting part way down
- don't take a celebratory selfie 'til you've come to a complete halt at the bottom

I'd agree with all that - except the last. Celebratory selfies are really sad.
snow report
@pam w, I think he was joking...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy