Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2012/2013: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires

Poster: A snowHead
Heading over to 3Vs for New Years and staying in 1650, have to say i'm massively encouraged by the snow and the forecasts for the coming week. Guess the only thing i'll be worrying about at this rate will be whether the Russians find their way over to 1650 much.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This taken this morning during a short skin up towards the Saulire from Altiport.
A cold, sunny morning, most snow cannons running, and some pisting has started for opening next weekend
Cloud building this afternoon.

latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's snowing at 700m this morning. Fat flakes which covered the cars in 10 minutes (covered as in turned them white, not buried them to a depth of 160cm). Méribel and Courchevel opening in six days
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have just applied for the huskies' doggy passports.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
robertsnerys, are transfers really that expensive? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Still snowing... 5-10 cm at about 1000m, more higher up
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Plus de neige today! Went up the Moutiere and Grand Fond and Portette. Periods of blizzard where you couldn't see one side of the run from the other.

For the first time in years, I seem to be surrounded by english people - and I think we've picked the same week as every university student in the UK?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You are there with the Oxbridge ski-trip.... Largest university trip in the world....Good luck!!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm out on the 16th! Toofy Grin

Can. Not. Wait.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes - my son is there with the Varsity trip ..... couple of thousand I think !!
Weather looks horriffic for skiing .... but it's the apres thay go for I reckon ....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowing again today and set to continue for the next couple of days. Snow at the moment is down to valley floor. Temperatures are expected to rise this afteroon and evening, with the snowline getting higher, before falling again tomorrow. The Three Valleys are starting to look very, very white.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The team in La Tania, prepping for arrival of first guests of the season, report lots and lots of lovely snow! Very cold too with more to come Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Out on 15th. cannot wait either. Off to buy osteoperotic parents some shoe studs in preparation Smile

Anyone had any experience with ESF st Martin de belleville and their kids' lessons? Only option fir our week and wondering how rather highly strung 4 year old daughter will cope with an,erm, less indulgent form of instruction.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Still dumping. This is looking into the Vallée des Bellevilles, from around 700m this evening

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
robertsnerys wrote:
Out on 15th. cannot wait either. Off to buy osteoperotic parents some shoe studs in preparation Smile

Anyone had any experience with ESF st Martin de belleville and their kids' lessons? Only option fir our week and wondering how rather highly strung 4 year old daughter will cope with an,erm, less indulgent form of instruction.....

Not St Martin, but ESF Les Menuires were very professional if a little...well...ESF-y. In the worst conditions in opening week last season they still managed to get my 4 year old through a week of lessons and his end-of-week exam.

You're in safe hands...they're just not always the most friendly hands Very Happy
snow report
Twisted Evil Looks like I'm going to have to shift my bindings back an inch or so at this rate!

I'm staying in Le Praz - could anyone tell me how difficult the reds are down to Le Praz? I appreciate its largely open to interpretation! My girlfriend, who is fairly new to snowboarding, is quite peeved at me for booking here...... Laughing Laughing
snow report
SnowSquirrell, The reds, I recall, are not particularly difficult. In fact, neither are the blacks, Jockeys and Jean Blanc
snow report
Patch, Brilliant, thanks for that.
ski holidays
Properly chucking it down this evening - it has just taken me 2 hours to do the 1hr 10 drive from Crolles to Bozel - A good few inches of snow on the autoroute all the way & nearly a foot in Bozel !! Winter would appear to have arrived!
ski holidays
Much more snow today and loads more forecast - 70cm in next 24hrs.
Lots of road-clearing activity too, road up to VT is covered in snow, but manageable easily. Snow chains essential. Very essential! Also note it's the Andros Trophy this weekend.

A fair selection of runs open given the weather, but poor by VT standards. Only one red in the whole area. Cime de Caron not open. Orelle open, but only enough to get you up and down to VT.

Skiing conditions fairly difficult if you're used to lazy blue runs - with cloud and snowfall there's very limited definition to the surface of the piste, one second you're sliding sideways on hard packed slippery stuff, next second you can be stopped up to mid-calf in fresh powder.

Far too many people going far too fast down the blues as the reds are closed. They don't seem to be the varsity tour either!

Low point of the day was the prosniege chief instructor teaching prospective instructors to ski without poles down a blue who, between himself and his students, managed to wipe out all 4 members of my party who are all experienced skiers, if not the fastest. Claiming not to speak any English when I challenged his choice of route and speed was not a good way to apologise to me, especially when he clearly demonstrated his perfect English after I shouted at him in French!

Let's see what tomorrow brings!

PS. ESF crèche is great so far for our 25 month old who loves his mornings there.
latest report
FastEddie. Thanks for replying. I think Toofy Grin
ski holidays
i think the reds are tricky enough for the inexperienced. brigues can be icy in parts and the last roady section is relatively narrow so speed control is tricky. murettes is maybe the easier of the two. wider and not as steep, but you have go via bouc blanc. there's always the choice of bubbles to download.
snow report
Temperatures rose during the night, as predicted, but snow is still falling this morning. Temps set to drop sharply again today, with more snow to come.
ski holidays
2 feet of snow in VT overnight and still snowing. Nothing open at the moment. Max will likely be 1x magic carpet, the Deux Lacs and perhaps the Plein Sud. Nothing higher until it's all been blasted.

Took the little one to nursery and came back in waist deep powder up the back of La Reine Blanche. Luckily didn't have to dig my way to the back door though, unlike the front on the way out.
ski holidays
chrisValTho, sounds great for the first week of December!
latest report
All of this is manna from heaven for those of us who arrive in ten days time...just hoping that we get all we need this week and next, before a bit more settled weather for the week before Christmas.
ski holidays
Yep looking good. Keep getting excited updates from daughter who's been out there for 3 weeks already, barmaiding in VT. We're going out on 22nd Very Happy
snow conditions
About 120-150cm on the Saulire summit now, and almost half a metre at resort level. Around 40cm fell in the last 24 hours, with temperatures set to fall later today, and further heavy snow forecast for later in the week. Should be an epic weekend for Méribel and Courchevel opening on Saturday, albeit with likely significant avalanche risk in places. Temperature at 700m is currently 3 deg and falling, no precipitation at the moment but further snow looks possible for this evening, as cloud is building.

For anyone heading to the Tarentaise resorts on Saturday by car, chains are likely to be needed (hopefully!)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Patch wrote:
Should be an epic weekend for Méribel and Courchevel opening on Saturday
Happy

Driving (to Les Arcs) tomorrow, for skiing in 3V from Saturday. Really quite excited!
snow report
rob@rar, I am expecting the slopes to be completely empty this weekend, as is normal for Méribel opening weekend. So I will see you on (or off) the piste. I will be easy to recognise, as I will be the other person skiing, so I won't bother with a red carnation, nor a rolled-up copy of the Times

Yours Optimistically
Patch

PS It has just started dumping again
snow report
Patch, Laughing

Any idea what lifts might be open from Saturday?
snow conditions
rob@rar, should be 9am. I am hoping to be the first punter on the new Saulire express Madeye-Smiley

PS - Avalanche blasting going on in Méribel at the moment... can feel it from here
ski holidays
rob@rar, completely misread you post at "what time the lifts open".... Embarassed

I would think Rhodos, Tougnette and Saulire from the Chaudanne, then the main lifts higher up serving the 3V links, as they will want to sell 3V passes.

Two factors might change that: firstly, not sure if Saulire Express is ready to open - they were still working on the Chaudanne station on Sunday. Secondly, lift opening may be modified due to avy clearing - its due to dump large on Friday night
snow report
Here's a little opening weekend teaser from the nice folks at the Méribel Tourist office ....

http://youtube.com/v/_7f1iqdZ15c
latest report
hotel montana, la tania, jan 6th. Bring it on.
snow conditions
robertsnerys wrote:

No direct experience for years (18 since she was 4... jeez!) but I don't think much has changed.

The honest answer is that it all depends on the instructor, more so with small English speaking children than anything else. Having said that, mostly kids seem to get on pretty well together and enjoy the snow, as long as they don't get too cold. Make sure she has good base layers is the best advice I can think of.
snow conditions
3V posted a link on FB with the lifts and pistes they plan on opening in Meribel and Courchevel next weekend. It might be useful wink

http://www.s3v.com/2012/12/belle-ouverture-en-perspective-avec-deja-plus-dun-metre-de-neige-a-2700-m/
snow conditions
Ham, thanks for your post. I am keeping everything crossed that she is not put off for life by experience.
snow conditions
Incredible amount of snow falling. It continued through the night, and is still snowing now. An additional 30cm fell at 700m. Photos to follow soon
snow report
Patch, looks like a real flat light day on the cams Skullie
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy