Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes & Val d'Isere 2012/13

Poster: A snowHead
chocksaway, thanks, sounds like good advice and won't book anything right away. Little Angel Some pals who are out there just now have only been posting FB pics of tree skiing from what I've seen, so assume they might have been at le Fornet. I'm lucky to have already skied 25 days so far this season, some of them in really shocking conditions so I'm ready to be fairly philosophical about whatever I find and not seek out pointless stuff for the hell of it. Cool
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A bit of a shock this morning as I moved the curtain with the big toe - there were bluebirds over the grey cliffs of Chardonnet - not the clouds I had been expecting. So it was a Double Glacier Day with some fantastic piste skiing in an almost empty resort. Many thanks to SAF Helos and the Val D'I Pisteurs for providing entertainment during coffee at Le Signal - they were practising winching in and out of the chopper (brings back memories of a cold north sea!).

The amount of snow we have had this year is clearly demonstrated at the top of the Motte - the stairs of the platform are completely covered - it is now quite a climb up. Also they were working on the top pylon of the Champagny (drag or T Bar ??) which is almost buried up to the runners.

It has now clouded over - perhaps there will be some snow.

For those flying tomorrow - no snags with the weather.

All the above tinged with sadness at the news of the guy that ended it all last night by jumping to his death from the Dam.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Guys, out of interest, for those in resort over Easter, how busy was it? I've never been to Tignes/Val, but it's on the list of areas I want to get to next. Only issue is as the other half is a teacher, we're restricted to either Xmas/NYE, Feb, or Easter. How busy was it over the last week - many queues for lifts/busy pistes?

Cheers

Ol
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chocksaway wrote:

All the above tinged with sadness at the news of the guy that ended it all last night by jumping to his death from the Dam.

oh no, that's terrible Sad

Doesn't bear thinking about.

RIP to him, only 21 as well.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 7-04-13 13:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
maidstone98, No queues this week as the French kids only had Monday on hol. Even during the really busy weeks of Xmas/NY and Feb the queues are not that bad unless bad weather closes the higher lifts.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Very foggy this morning (the Brev webcam looked like it had a bag over its head). Slowly cleared through the day - its now more like a spring afternoon with much dripping and warm sun. In fact the biggest danger at the mo is icicles falling off buildings. Never mind on piste transceivers - a Bob The Builder Yellow hat would be appropriate safety equipment!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We are back out next Sunday for 5 days. Unless there is a record thaw I think we will have great skiing. But will everything still be open if the resort is quieting down. It seems a lot of cost to keep so many lifts running if there are not many skiers. I am not worried about the snow, but more about if all the lifts will be running
Cheers
Smag
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Smag, The French late spring school hols start next week - we will have to see if they go to the beach or the pistes. No sign of any lifts closing yet - I will let you know if I find anything out. There may be closures where there is some duplication (eg the Funiculaire will run but not Lanches).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We are stopping in boisses so hoping to be able to get to le lac without using the bus. As long as we can avoid the bus then we will be happy chappies.chocksaway,
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
smagsmith,

More snow today Very Happy Not a great amount this morning but it has been snowing steadily since lunchtime. Hopefully a good powder day tomorrow Very Happy

The slopes were very quiet this morning, with the Belgiums having returned home there is only the Brits on school holidays. Next week should be even quieter as lots of the main Brit tour ops closing this weekend. If you are after a last minute bargin try Ski Olympic & Tignes Chalet company.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
If you are after a last minute bargain try Ski Olympic & Tignes Chalet company
Or PM me for a late season bargain in our Val Claret apartment wink.....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
smagsmith, More snow, more snow and its still snowing! snowHead Tomorrow could be a powder day high up. Although it is now windy in the village with guts up to 80k forecast up top tonight might also be a busy morning for the pisteurs. We ventured as low as La Daille today (the lure of La Rosée Blanche) where there was still big fluffy flakes so no snags with Boisses this weekend me thinks. Vis ranged from not great to blimey who turned the lights out - so popped out for a look round the sales.

There's a mini wine festival tomorrow and Thursday in Val Claret - they probably won't need a chiller for the white - not sure on the correct way to warm up red though Puzzled
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The snow has got even heavier - here's a couple of shots from the 'bedcam' taken at 1645 CET 9 April!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 9-04-13 21:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You would not think it's April the 9th!

The snow this season is incredible, I can't believe how white the mountains still are. Normally by now the days are hot, sunny and slushy!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wow looks like a November/December morning out there!
snow conditions
Looks like we have picked the right year to try April skiing for the first time. If the forecast is right, then it warms up on Sunday as we arrive. Fingers crossed for some sun for mon - Friday next week. And also fingers crossed that we can ski in and out of Boisse.
I am also on the look out for a new ski jacket, so any tips on where to get the best end of season sales?
Cheers
Smag
snow report
End of season sales in the resort that is.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Wow looks like a November/December morning out there!

Yesterday was like a November/December day. Snow all day long and still slightly snowing at the moment Very Happy In about 2 hrs last night we had 10cm of fresh, cold, POWDER snow in Le Lavachet. Today should be 'epic' Very Happy Very Happy (sorry i have been skiing with kids).

The blasting has already started this morning and the clouds are clearing a little so we might get the sunshine forecast for today before the snow returns tomorrow Very Happy

Quote:
And also fingers crossed that we can ski in and out of Boisse

Not a problem at the moment
ski holidays
Quote:
And also fingers crossed that we can ski in and out of Boisse.......Not a problem at the moment

And has never been a problem on our Mayday weekend trips in the last six years or so! In fact we've always managed to ski down to Les Brevieres (sometimes in total mush/waterskiing) at that time Smile.
snow conditions
snowHead snowHead snowHead Yip the sun came out after breakfast - so onto the first lift and there was fresh powder turns to be had - unfortunately not for long as the strong sun soon led to consolidation - to such an extent that near Grand Pre by 1300 - to misquote Mrs T - "The gentleman was not for turning"! The rapid warming continued through the day and tomorrow the rain snow line could be as high as 2300m - but with he amount of snow we have I don't see this creating much of a problem (except miserable conditions tomorrow.. Spring may have indeed arrived - the zero deg isotherm marches up the hill throughout the week. Overall a fab day - but with a sting in the tail..

And Finally: As we were coming home via the Grattalu we watched a rider climbing up the arête/ridge to the left of the chair. There was a large cornice at the top and 2/3 of the slope (which is above you if you turn left from the top of the Chair) had already slipped. Well as sure as night follows day when he jumped the cornice the slope went and he was buried. Luckily a hand appeared from beneath the snow and onlookers (maybe mates) were there in seconds and started digging. If the whole cornice had come with him - it may have been a different story. I just hope:

1. He is fine.
2. He has learnt a lesson.
snow conditions
Wednesday 10 April. After a few clouds early in the morning the sky turned blue and slowly became warmer. Time to go and visit Espace Killy again!

A group of us headed up to 'Tignes Les Brevieres' from Les Arcs quite early in the morning. As we went up the first gondola the sun was starting to shine and the fresh snow looked great. This was going to be a good day!!

Our first run was back down near the chair on untracked powder. Soft although it was a bit slippy. Made a note that we needed to take care today. (I am pleased we are all equipped for off piste skiing to help us stay safe.) However still an excellent start!

Here are the details of the routes we took today in order from start to finish.

1) Back up the Aiguille Rouge Chair and down the off piste to Tignes Lac. A nice top surface, but cruddy underneath where the sun had cooked it earlier in the week.
2) Up the Aeroski gondola and down 'La Familiale' and then the lower section of 'Vallee Perdue' (missing the small hole you have to go down) arriving at the Funival. Some good untracked soft snow higher up and well skied in the gully, but always fun!
3) From the top, down 'La Spatule' taking the easier exit and back up top again. Soft powder in the sheltered areas and amongst the trees. Even space for a few fresh tracks.
4) Across all the pistes to Borsat Chair including the small park area for the kids (we need one of these in Les Arcs) then all the way down from the 'Cretes du Genepy' to Val Claret crossing the piste and continuing down the valley.Not bad snow the whole way although well tracked in some places.Time for a late lunch.
5) After lunch. Up the Lanches chair and down the easy exit from the 'Telegraph Couloir' ridge entrance back to Val Claret. Mixed snow in the high valley with room for a few fresh tracks then onto the face which was also very mixed and well skied.
6) A fast ski across to the bottom of the Aiguille Percee Chair going down the side of the Chardonnet off piste area and the descent to the Aiguille Percee chair from the top of the Grand Huit chair. Room for a few fresh tracks on reasonable soft snow in the sheltered area.
7) We arrived just to late for the Aiguille Percee chair (we watched from half way down as they closed the lift, very annoying) so could not get up to finish on the 'Vallon de la Sache' as we had planned. Instead we headed down to the Chaudannes chair and finally back to Tignes Les Brevieres. The little bit of off piste I tried was well skied, but the piste was in great condition and at after 5pm empty, but for a few late skiers like us. Even the pisteur passed us on his way home as we went down the mountain to the car park by the Gondola station.

An excellent day in the sun. The pistes where we skied around 'Tignes' and over to 'La Daille' were in excellent condition after the recent fresh snowfall. The off piste gave us very mixed skiing and although more tracked than the last time I was in Val d'Isere, we still found some untracked areas. Plus some challenging skiing with soft, light and fluffy snow in many places. With more snow on the way. We shall be back again before the end of the season.

If you are interested in seeing what conditions were like today. Take a look in the Val d'Isere and Tignes 2013 Album a little later.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/photos_albums
latest report
Snowing again this morning Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
And also fingers crossed that we can ski in and out of Boisse.......Not a problem at the moment

And has never been a problem on our Mayday weekend trips in the last six years or so! In fact we've always managed to ski down to Les Brevieres (sometimes in total mush/waterskiing) at that time Smile.

Yep I've been going to Tignes last 2 weeks of April since April 2008 except last season and have never been disappointed, even April 2011 when Prince William got married wasn't *that* bad and that was pants compared to usual.
Can't wait to get out there on 20th as it appears to be a super duper snow season this year.
snow report
So it sounds like we will be able to ski down from boisse to brev and get the gondola up and ski down to le lac. That is a bonus as we don't have to take a bus before we start skiing.
snow conditions
smagsmith, I think you have missed the fact that Boisse has a spangly new Gondola (well its 2 years old now!) that runs from the bottom of the village (ie wherever you are you can ski to it) to the Marais plateau (same place as Brev bubble). So all you need then is the Aiguille Rouge and Bob is your jolly old Mum's brother. Also at the end of the day you can ride down in splendid luxury if the slush is too deep. Which it may be......

Well, spring temperatures arrived today with a bang - As SW said it was snowy (even settling on the roads) but as the morning wore on it became light rain in the village - it was 12 degs as I went to the gym at 12 - the light was poor this morning and the snow very heavy on piste - so not a great combination so we lasted about 5 runs.

However the sun is now out and seems that will be a feature quite a lot in the next week, probably time to think of spring clothing. Also today(drum roll:)

The first Marmotte Little Angel Little Angel There was a couple under the Palafour quite low down presumably tempted out by the warm temps - however, it must have been a bit disappointing to find only snow at the end of your dig and nothing to eat - bit like waking up with a hangover and finding no bacon and eggs in the fridge wink

Anyway its time to go to the local wine festival up in Val Claret - its a hard life in the Alps Cool
snow report
chocksaway, yes I have used the Boisse gondola a few times, but I just like the run down to brev as a little loosener to start the day. Also I hope to ski down sashe and get the 4 man back to Boisse
snow report
chocksaway We come to our Tignes apartment every summer for a few turns on the glacier. I see that the resort website is advertising summer skiing only from early July to early August (Presumably as the glacier has been so bare in August temps Sad )....

Bit of a blow that....The beginning of the end for summer skiing? We hope not.... Confused

Do you happen to know the pre-July glacier closing/opening dates? And when it re-opens in the autumn?
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:

Do you happen to know the pre-July glacier closing/opening dates? And when it re-opens in the autumn?

Summer opening dates 6th July to 4th August 2013.

I believe winter opening is the end of September 2013. I did get an email confirming winter dates but have deleted it. Do you not get updates from Tignes as you are a owner?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is what Stewart was referring to. From the Mairie. Apologies for the quick google translation but time to go out skiing Very Happy

GLACIER LA GRANDE MOTTE: Decrease the period of operation of ski summer and autumn.

The conclusion: the glacier is in bad shape
Summer 1956: 30 to 80m of ice on the Grande Motte. The bottom of the glacier was at the top of the crag above the Combe.
September 1976: we went skiing on the glacier. Races and even bumps. There was also almost a glacier in the arrival of Panoramic!
October 1986: the bottom has already melted terribly. The snow is in short supply.
Summer 1992: The snow is still here, not in large quantities .... The first precursor phenomenon of accelerated melting emerged: the first rocks around the Panoramic appear.
Summer 2003: year of the heatwave in France. The glacier will lose volume over 3m thick ice.
Summer 2005: in June, at 8am, full dodger is already on the summer ski area ....
Summer 2007: the trend is worrying confirmed the disappearance of the track plan.
Summer 2011: the glacier has lost more than 20m in thickness in 10 years (the sector Leisse). Tignes recorded its lowest winter snowfall in 30 years (2.63 m). The track will be closed Leisse all summer. Yet this June 1, Tignes wakes under 40 cm of snow in resort! The glacier is closed earlier than expected for security issues.
August 2, 2012: the arrival of the funicular, 3000 meters above sea level, it is 8 degrees ....

"Glaciers are memorials of climate change. They react particularly strongly and rapidly to global climate change. The desire is to preserve the municipal environmental capital. 7 to 8m of snow are needed to form ice around 1m, depending upon the density of the snowfall "reminds us Trinquier Arnaud, Director of Ski Tignes.

"One of the specificities of the glacier is that it is, since 1963, in two protected areas: the Vanoise National Park and Reserve Tignes Champagny. A position which makes it very complicated extending or modifying the area occupied by the ski area. "

An inevitable development: question of the future
What should we do? Close our glacier as did Sölden in Austria in 2004?
"The Grande Motte glacier is at a turning point in its history and forces us to think about his future. We must find a new life ... The possibilities are fun now reduced. Keep glacier as part of the tourist offer summer with short-term development of new activities on the Grande Motte is a major challenge for the municipality. "Zaragoza says Olivier, Mayor of Tignes.

Thus, the changes will be in the future:

In late winter the mountains of the Grande Motte closes one week after the scheduled Espace Killy.
In summer open chairlifts Lanches (or funicular) and Vanoise from mid-June (ie one week earlier than previously) to open the massive Grande Motte from 6 July this year, up 4 August.
August 10 to September 1, 2013, the massive will open to pedestrians (funicular and cable only).
In the autumn the glacier opening mid-October and other mass along Tignes Val d'Isere late November or early December.
snow conditions
Webcams look divine today. Looking forward to getting out there next week.
snow conditions
One of the best days of the year snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

Which was all the more welcome as it was completely unexpected as I fell asleep to rain rattling on the Velux at 11pm ish. As I flicked the curtain with a big toe I could see skidoo tracks on the Palafour and fresh snow - which turned out to be 6 inches deep. So it was a mad scramble into kit and off to the top of the Aiguille Perceé to ski through a smooth carpet of new snow. After that it was around the top of the Grattalu where the new snow had settled on a level base as the temps yesterday (followed by rain up to 2400m) had 'levelled' the snow surface. There followed an eclectic mix of powder and spring snow skiing between the pistes.

After a quick coffee the top of the glacier had just opened and now that all the 'furrows' created to catch the snow had filled in completely we could ski effectively one pitch off piste from the top of the Cable Car to Leisses again powder at the top and just a thin smooth crust towards the bottom - just one of those runs you remember for a long time. After another run round the forecast clouds appeared quite quickly and the light went so it was back for a late lunch (at 1445!).

The temps and rain had triggered some big avalanches off piste of very heavy snow (during the night the forecast was 4/5 reducing to 3/5 at dawn). One big example was to the west of Bluets which had gone right down to the ground (in the sun all afternoon and then rain being a potentially lethal combo.

Its now snowing again - might be the same tomorrow!

For the airports tomorrow - should be no snags although mist is forecast at a lot of the UK airports and Lyon but it should have burnt off before it can create any problems
snow report
chocksaway,

Quote:
Its now snowing again

It's dumping it down Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:
chocksaway,

Quote:
Its now snowing again

It's dumping it down Very Happy Very Happy

It certainly is!

In contradiction to the report a little above about the state of the glacier published by the Mairie, the snow at the top today was the highest I remember. The steps to the Panoramic restaurant (visible on webcam) were completely buried and there is quite a slope to negotiate upwards on leaving the top station of the cablecar. The price to pay has been very little balcony time for Mrs T this season.
snow report
Chucking it down in Val D'Isere too. Had to have another beer in the hope that it stops before we walk back for dinner. Been a great week, not least for the powder and trees mornings with the ESF as the only token Brit in otherwise all French groups. Valerie knows where to go!
ski holidays
Quote:

stewart woodward wrote:
chocksaway,

Quote:
Its now snowing again

It's dumping it down

It certainly is!

Sorry I was in the pub - 3 demis = 3-4 inches of snow.

PS Some of the UK airport forecasts have been amended to show much thicker mist - wouldn't be surprised to see some fog tomorrow in the UK - should still not affect take offs
snow report
This is all sounding fantastic , April in tignes never disappoints Cool
snow report
Looks like a POWDER & sun cream type of morning Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Webcams are looking simply stunning today, I'd love to be up on that glacier *sigh*
ski holidays
stewart woodward wrote:
Looks like a POWDER & sun cream type of morning Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Back from the Powder & sun cream morning, now it's after sun, egg sandwich & cups of tea Very Happy Very Happy before watching the golf Very Happy
ski holidays
stewart woodward wrote:
stewart woodward wrote:

Back from the Powder & sun cream morning, now it's after sun, egg sandwich & cups of tea Very Happy Very Happy before watching the golf Very Happy
I hope I'm not in the seat behind you!!!

As for today - very similar to yesterday so I won't repeat myself - the snow just consolidated a bit quicker. Just fantastic snowHead snowHead

For the few flying tomorrow - it will be a bit bumpy (or a lot bumpy) during your approach in the UK. Over here you will need a sombrero and shorts
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy