Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes & Val d'Isere 2012/13

Poster: A snowHead
chocksaway, the weather forecasts in the UK have been commenting on the jetstream being further south than usual. This time last year, Mr jocrad ran a half marathon in Wilmslow, with myself and some friends along as support. We were sunbathing in balmy temperatures normally seen in May or June, instead of the just-about-above-zero temps we've had this week!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Am in tignes for a short break in late April , and as I am going solo , want to use the time to work on some technique , looking for steep (steeper the better) pistes , can folk point me in the direction of some runs that can be easily lapped , cheers snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dabber wrote:
Am in tignes for a short break in late April , and as I am going solo , want to use the time to work on some technique , looking for steep (steeper the better) pistes , can folk point me in the direction of some runs that can be easily lapped , cheers snowHead

It is normally better to develope technique on easier pistes and then take your new technique to more difficult pistes.

Anyway lap Trolles using Paquis lift or aero ski. Gives you the choice of red piste onto black or unpisted black onto red onto black. should keep you entertained wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stewart woodward, cheers , actually need the steepness , as want to work on tecnique for the "off piste steeps" i.e.jump turns and speed control pressure etc , but as I am on my own for three days so won't be able to ski off piste , and don't have the budget for a guide on this trip , any other quiet, away from it all black runs ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dabber,

Drop me a pm when you are in resort & i will try and ski with you so you can do some offpiste routes.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stewart woodward, will do cheers snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dabber, I am also in Tignes late April, from 20th-27th, meeting up with some friends doing a season, PM me if you want to meet up for a beer or a ski as you are going alone.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5, will do cheers
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Summer time has started but this morning it is more like November Confused

When i first pulled back the curtains it was still dark, the snow was horizontal, the road is covered & the poubelle monitor is back in action Confused
Should be some great skiing out there but be safe the avalanche risk is 4/5 above 1800m & 3/5 below 1800m with more snow forecast.

Happy Easter Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It was definitely winter this morning - dug out the fleece again and after the pisteurs had used up a North Korean sized arsenal of explosives to make it safe we set off at 1030 - after a lot of snow and high winds overnight there was 40cm of fresh powdery snow in some places. Unfortunately we couldn't see it (again). So after a short morning it was an early lunch in the Aspen to wait for the clearance - which arrived about 1330. Fresh tracks to be had - and many bumpy pistes as most of the snow arrived after the bashers had knocked off! Some great snow down Familial - however it was consolidating quickly after the sun appeared - shame the legs were tired by this stage. Even now the resort is all white - no slushy bits - so its going to be an early start tomorrow to head up high - awesome day in prospect both sides of the poles snowHead snowHead

The conditions are fantastic; so if you are thinking of a cheeky late season week - go on throw a sickie, put the kids on E bay and get out here. There are some good deals around - eg Ski Olympic have a fully catered for £445 in Chalet Rosset from next Sunday.

Now where is that choccy Easter egg?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Poisson D'Avril Cool

What a day - pistes were perfect - off piste varied depending on aspect. Main topic of discussion today - how long can a marmotte hibernate and are they going to be skinny when they appear this year. Answers on a postcard.......
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chocksaway, any pics?

Sounds great Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry - my phone is decidedly un'smart' (but it does play 'ski sunday' when it rings Embarassed )
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Has anyone got any pics of the drained lake/reservoir? I am out in 2 weeks for one last skid, but am curious to see how it is looking.

Cheers
Smag
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
smagsmith, the most recent photos I've seen were from Radio Val d'Isere. When I was there w/c 17th March, it looked much the same as this:

http://www.webtvvaldisere.com/album/album.php?p=8

(scroll down to the bottom set of photos)
snow conditions
Piccadilly wrote:
smagsmith, the most recent photos I've seen were from Radio Val d'Isere. When I was there w/c 17th March, it looked much the same as this:

http://www.webtvvaldisere.com/album/album.php?p=8

(scroll down to the bottom set of photos)

I must be doing something wrong as I cant see any photos of the empty lake
ski holidays
Go to page 10 - thanks Piccadilly,
snow conditions
Quote:
Has anyone got any pics of the drained lake/reservoir?
Quote:
Go to page 10

- Nothing on page 10 Puzzled.....The empty reservoir photo is on page 11 as far as I can see. Does anybody know why it's being drained by the way?
snow conditions
smagsmith, chocksaway, mountainaddict,

Nope, the ones I found are now at the bottom of Page 9 - dated 02/03/2013, titled le barrage du Chevril. It's annoying that you can't link directly to the album, and right click is disabled.

http://www.webtvvaldisere.com/album/album.php?p=9

As far as I know, it's for maintenance to the dam.
ski holidays
We had a discussion about this when I got back 2 weeks ago and we came to the conclusion that they're probably draining it cos they need to repaint the mural!
snow report
Whats the temperatures in Tignes, we fly out on the 7th for a week and unsure if i need to pack my thermals last year they weren't needed at all when we went

Had a quick look on the net and the forecast temperatures vary from, with the weather on the tignes.co.uk website showing it down to -17 with the windchill and others giving the temp as +3

Any help would be good to know what I need to pack this year!
snow conditions
In reverse Order!:
Robb84, Remind me later in the week - I'll let you know, today I was wearing a HHvest, roll neck, sweat shirt and winter ski (padded) jacket!

mountainaddict, Piccadilly, gixxerniknik, I guess the pictures move about as more are added, one more from me below. the current work on the dam is the servicing of the sluice gates and ther actuators. This is ahead of a €1.3 billion refurb of the whoe hydroelectric system which runs from way above the dam down to Malgovert near Bourg - where the main turbines are. This will be a 3 year programme employing 200 folks. I do have links to more detail in French if anyone is a dam spotter!

gixxerniknik, there has been talk of redoing Hercules but nobody has the €2 million to fund it.

To today - and just for shoogly, and smagsmith, I took my camera today so here is a more picky orientated blog:

We woke to nearly clear blue skies and a team of 6 set off down Familial - which was tracked and with varying snow conditions - some nice turns but not really powder:

As it was a bit warm for all the kit we were all wearing it was off to Fornet - a coffee at the Signal allowed me to take a picture of a most unspring-like Le Fornet Village:

So on we went up the glacier where on piste you could have carved turns on 2 bits of 4 by 2 - it was that good. You can also see the high clouds approaching:

After the 'up and over' it was down onto Tete de Solaise - where you can see there is not much water behind the dam:

And the final pic - just to demonstrate the snow depth in Le Lac at 2100m - although there is a slight gradient up to the centre of the Snow-Front you can easily see the metre and a half that the website shows:

That's it folks - oh its just started snowing! Oh and a final shout for the Freeriders in last night's Full Moon Freeride which took place last night under floodlights on the Couloir de Tufs (colloquially known as the left hand finger - to the right of the Aeroski). I wouldn't dare do it in daylight!
latest report
gixxerniknik, Hercules is on the dry side of the wall so repainting should not need an empty dam.
latest report
Adrian, Just rushed out to check a postcard, you are absolutely correct, thanks for that, but I don't remember seeing him on the dry side as I think it's all faded now. (I've only got a photo of the wet side of the dam dam taken from off the side of Cugnai) Be good to get it redone but at 2mil euros, that's a huge redecoration bill!
latest report
Adrian, Hercules OMG a sudden revealtion to me! Good grief, somone took the mick out of me years and years ago by telling me it was Jean Claude Killy !!! I've believed that all this time rolling eyes Just did a google image search and there is a wickedly clear picture showing Herc ! Laughing
snow conditions
It's a shame it's so faded now, that would have looked amazing when it was first done in 1989.

I'm assuming there's still been no sign of the old village at the bottom of the lake?
snow conditions
Why such a big cost? Time? I think when they painted it they used a grid to manually transfer the image.

I reckon you could make the equivalent of an inkjet printer but with 10cm dots across a 5 meter width. The print bar could be lowered on cables and run on wheels next to the face of the wall printing line by line as it travels down. Hoist it back up and move it across and repeat. Might take a couple weeks
snow report
Lots of cloud in the valley this morning but if you have a look at the Grand Motte web cam it is beautiful & clear Very Happy

http://www.tignes.net/en/skiing-in-tignes/webcams-290.html

I guess you have to go high today rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Stewart. Please don't tell everyone though Toofy Grin
latest report
Thanks chocksaway, need to stop looking at the webcams and clear my desk of work before I finish tomorrow Very Happy
snow report
Miserable in resort at 9 this morning - so I decided today was the day for new boots! By the time I had left the shop - there was nothing but blue sky throughout the resort - so off to try the new legs. Pistes still in fantastic condition - off the sides very variable.

As ever the French have a poetic way with words - as he was sizing me up for boots - he said "ah - you are like me you have legs like a flamingo" - I mean I knew I was skinny but I wasn't anticipating standing on one leg for the rest of my life (especially in the Jam Bar tonight!). Good job we are friends - and yes they do seem to fit really well.
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
and yes they do seem to fit really well.

Obviously your new boots are TOO big. Everyone knows new boots should hurt for at least a month wink
ski holidays
Eeek so excited seeing those pics chocksaway, can't wait to get out there on 20th April!
latest report
The light varied from not great to poor today - and because of the lack of sun the pistes were hard even down to La Daille late morning. Little else to report as its just started snowing lightly ahead of a day or two of light to moderate snow.

Still no Marmottes (or daffodils).
ski holidays
chocksaway, all this snow huh! Sounds great. The last time I was in Tignes was in late April 2011 and that was the season where it was very out of character for Tignes that time of year. The marmottes were out in their droves that time it was so warm. Will be great to go back in exactly the opposite conditions this season.
snow report
If anybody is fancying a last minute deal to checkout the fantastic snow in Tignes have a look at Tignes Chalet Company web site. Catered Chalet + airport transfer from Geneva for £239/week. Cheap as chips wink

ps. I have nothing to do with Tignes Chalet Co.
snow report
stewart woodward, that's who I booked with actually, have stayed there before.
ski holidays
Weather wise it promised to be not great - and they were right. Light snow flurries, hill fog and very damp lower down. A milky sun did make an appearance as I came back from the pool otherwise it was a day devoted to nif-naf nausea and trivia. Its quite a cheque when the building charges include the heating and hot water bills need.

Anyway - to next week - after an unsettled start there are signs of a big improvement after Tuesday - with sun forecast on most days after that (usual caveats apply!) Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool . So for Robb84, I would bring lots of thin layers and discard them through the week - but initially think early Mar rather than early April. Its actually forecast to be quite cold overnight which will be good for the on piste snow which is still there in abundance - off piste well its not great but it is April. However, with sunny mornings and cold nights we may get spring or 'corn' snow later in the week which can be an absolute pleasure if you time it right.

As for air travel tomorrow - might be a bit bumpy on take off and during landing in the UK as the wind is going to be gusty across most of the country. Geneva will be fine - mist and drizzle at the 3 French airports which may be a bit miserable but shouldn't affect arrivals. Don't worry it will turn to snow by the time you get up the relatively traffic free mountain roads (Only 21000 cars between Albertville and Moutiers tomorrow - on a busy day it can be 37000).
snow conditions
It sounds like Val D'Isere needs a bit of Scotland's weather !! I arrive in Val D'Isere tomorrow but as an Espace Killy 1st-timer, travelling with a small group of long-serving and dedicated piste bashers. I have been thumbing through the Vamos guide but by the sounds of conditions described above, there's not much hope for a solo off-piste artist navigating safe routes described in the book until the sun comes out, so I may well end up buying a bit of guidance.
snow report
moffatross, I would wait and see what transpires weather wise over the weekend - you wouldn't want to pay good money to chase something that just isn't there - ask around in the village. I was chatting with an instructor doing an off piste lesson this morning who described it as awful!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy