Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hello! we know about winter tyres...

Poster: A snowHead
if anyone's looking for snow tyres in the central belt of scotland i can recommend scotyre in broxburn. they're in the massive hangar on the right just past the ratho indoor climbing arena (building is signposted cooper tyres). they were at least 40% cheaper than high street tyre retailers and put me onto a bloke nearby who fits them for a tenner per tyre.

01506 854 482 and ask for murray.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chocksaway wrote:
DB, I agree with your sentiments about internet purchases but tyremen, whilst working a lot through t'internet, they are quite happy to discuss yoour requirements over the phone. having had litlle luck with my main dealer I rang Chris who asked me a series of questions about what use the tyres were going to get, answered my beginners questions and then presented a range of options with a recommendation. Everything he said agreed with the details in the manual re size etc so he got my business.

I wasn't directing my comments at Tyremen. A lot of snowheads appear to have used him and he stocks good quality tyres, his prices dont look bad either. You can get winter tyres cheaper elsewhere (cheap imports) but they are cräp (technical term). There's also the danger you could end up with the wrong tyres when dealing over the internet (size, speedrating, load rating incorrect). Looks like Tyremen has got it all sorted.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TYREMEN - or anyone else out there who knows what they're talking about - can you help? We're about to swop our Passat Estate for a Freelander 2. We drive a lot in the Alps and normally run snow tyres on thinner steel wheels through the winter but we do often have to use chains too as we're based down a steepish snowy track and even then we've sometimes been stuck. Hence the change of car. So.... the Freelander we're hoping to buy is shod with 235/65 R17 pretty worn Continental Cross Contacts on its original alloys - we're negotiating with the garage to have them replaced with something like the Vredesteins mentioned in this thread. Is that the best way to go? I glean that you can't fit standard chains to the 17inch rims on Freelander 2s so should I be contemplating a set or slimmer steel wheels for the new car as well or would that smack of overkill seeing as the F2's alloys are not wide low profile jobs like the Passat's. ???? Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gvj,
I suspect you might be able to get away with 215/75 R16 unless it's a V6 or TD4.

What year, engine & model is it?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, It's a 160 bhp 2.2 TD4 SE Oct 2007.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hells Bells, I ordered through Oponeo, as they were cheapest for the tyres that I wanted; they are very efficient, and their communication was the best that I have had on the internet. They are based in Poland, so like Mytyres (Germany) you cannot use a credit card, as their authorisation system does not cover UK banks, but you can use paypal, and then use your card. The advantage that they have over UK suppliers is that for more unusual size wheels they carry a much larger range. Mine arrived in 3 days, Nokian WRA3`s , just in time for the ice; they are a performance orientated tyre, a little noisier than the WRG2`s they have replaced, and so far I am very impressed with them. You can telephone Oponeo for advice as well. I would not hesitate to use them again.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gvj wrote:
Thanks, It's a 160 bhp 2.2 TD4 SE Oct 2007.

The models spec don't appear to be exactly the same over here (Austria) as in the UK and Land Rovers aren't that common so it's difficult to be certain.

What else does it say on your tyre - there should be a load rating at the end something like "103 V".

235/65 R17 103 V

I could give the local Land Rover dealer a call and see if he can confirm the winter tyre size required from the summer tyre size. ( Here in Austria the winter and summer tyre sizes are printed on the cars paperwork which must be carried all the time by the driver.)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cstreat,
Is the no credit card thing something they have both done very recently then ? I paid Oponeo with AMEX just a couple of weeks ago, (and I got the tyres Madeye-Smiley.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skitow, They had Moneybookers verification 2 weeks ago for debit cards; us debit carders are a dodgy lot who need checking up on! Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just thought I'd say that due to a drive to Germany last weekend, I took the precaution of fitting winter tyres with wheels supplied by Tyremen. Despite the fact that the temperatures were mild and it rained throughout, I couldn't fault the preliminary advice, wheel supply and bolting service. Thanks Phill!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cstreat, I bought winter tyres and rims, OH tyres, son and son in law tyres all from Oponeo and I don't think that any of had a problem using our credit cards - and can reiterate that the service we received was first class, all arrived really speedily and they were very good at checking out that I had in fact ordered the correct sizes.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

like Mytyres (Germany) you cannot use a credit card

Huh? Puzzled I have, couple of weeks ago...... (Mytyres that is, not Oponeo)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tyremen, I'm looking at buying a BMW 5 series Touring that runs on tyres sized 245/45 R18Y. In view of the need to be able to leave the driveway in an inch of snow I wanted to check the availability and cost of winter tyres but am not finding any for sale online in this size. I wondered if this just because there are none in stock by this time of year?

The BMW garage will sell me Dunlop SP Wintersport M3 but only as part of a package including extra wheels and storage at a whopping £2250 plus £30 for every seasonal changeover Shocked Looking at the Dunlop website they are made in that size but I cant find them for sale anywhere?

Can you advise if you can source these and if not what do you recommend?

PS If I do buy it I will not be getting the car until late March so tyres wont be needed until next winter.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tyremen,

Thanks for the very good deal on the Hankook. Very impressive for an all season tyre going up and down the hill to Val Thorens, even during the December dumps never needed to put chains on.

Bit of feedback, swapped my Kumho's KH31 all seasons that were on the rear to the front and they are comparable to the Hankooks. I couldn't really tell the difference going up the hill on compacted snow/ice.

Maybe something for you to think about offering those as an option.

Many thanks again ,

Brian
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tyreman

My wife has recently bought an ex-mobility car on an 07 plate that has only 12,000 miles on the clock, so the tyres have good tread and look in good condition but do tyres deteriorate with age and should she consider replacing them ?
snow report
Michelin recommend tyres are replaced if 10 years old. Chances are as a ex mobilty it has not done 12,000 miles of donuts in an ASDA car park.
ski holidays
I have a company vehicle (nothing posh, a small white Corsa van), it was recently swapped, and in the back of the less-old model are two winter tyres. I have enquired as to the whereabouts of the other two, but apparently they were only fitted with two winter tyres on the front last winter. I've assumed this isn't safe, so haven't had the tyres fitted for the winter. It doesn't drive too badly in the snow (and there was plenty of it this morning).
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
I have a company vehicle (nothing posh, a small white Corsa van), it was recently swapped, and in the back of the less-old model are two winter tyres. I have enquired as to the whereabouts of the other two, but apparently they were only fitted with two winter tyres on the front last winter. I've assumed this isn't safe, so haven't had the tyres fitted for the winter. It doesn't drive too badly in the snow (and there was plenty of it this morning).
I think the problem with just putting them on the front is that you will get a false sense of security from the improved traction and steering. Then one day you'll need to brake hard or steer sharply and the car will swap ends when the rear wheels lose all grip.
snow report
agw, exactly what I thought. So, when they complain I haven't had them fitted, I'll remind them it isn't safe to do so. wink
snow conditions
Motability cars occasionally make 4 years old, usually three (and often are the most abused things you will see) I can vouch for that because the last two cars I have bought (I like automatic's) have came that way, and I sifted a LOT of dross. My point being that on an 2007 registration there is a good chance your car has sat for sale a year already prior to sale, and might have egg shaped wheels Toofy Grin Buy some new tyres, under £400 is quietly likely under 10% of what you have recently spent. (I'm using Pirelli sottozero's all round on an Astra and there excellent BTW).
ski holidays
Hi all,

Sorry have been swamped with stuff at Tyremen HQ for a while and haven't been able to look here for a while. I see there were a few questions asked of us. If anyone still need any answers to any tyre related matters please let me know and I promise to get back to you as soon as I can. Cheers, Phill Very Happy
snow conditions
codyaitch wrote:
tyreman

My wife has recently bought an ex-mobility car on an 07 plate that has only 12,000 miles on the clock, so the tyres have good tread and look in good condition but do tyres deteriorate with age and should she consider replacing them ?

http://www.semperit.com/generator/www/de/en/semperit/tires/themes/safety/tread-depth-en.html
ski holidays
Hi there DB, tyres do deteriorate with age but at around 5 years old they will not necessarily need changing yet. Moving forward they just need to be checked for signs of ageing such as cracking between the tread blocks on an annual basis and if it looks like this is happening then get them replaced. If you don't know what to look for then get a local tyre fitter to inspect them for you. Phill.
ski holidays
tyremen,

As I'm only a low mileages driver, my first set of winter tyres still had more than the legally required 4mm tread (here in Austria) but after around 5 years there was a definte performance loss. The garage did say there was enough tread on them but said they were 5 years old and should now be replaced for better performance. They explained that the rubber deteriorates with age and exposure to the elements. Having looked on the German and Austrian car forums it appears that the legal requirement is 10 years although most low mileage drivers replace them between 4 to 6 years.

http://www.wisebread.com/are-your-new-tires-really-6-year-old-ticking-time-bombs
snow conditions
I read somewhere (read it on the internet - it must be true!) that the rule for safe winter motoring is 4x4x4. 4 winter tyres fitted with more than 4mm of tread on each and less than 4 years old.

Sounds sensible advice though I think my current set are now over 4 years old and after my half term trip could well be under 4mm. Might just leave them on over the summer and go for new ones all round for next winter.
snow report
DJL, DB, The advice you have seen is sound but there are a bunch of factors that would impact on an ageing tyres performance. For example if not stored correctly out of season then it's very possible that a tyre of 3/4 years old could need replacing, however they could well last much, much longer. As I said previously the best course of action is to check them, or have a tyre expert check them to see how yours are fairing.
ski holidays
Just bought some winter tyres off Tyremen. Great bunch Very Happy .
How do you store them in the Summer to reduce the effects of the warmer weather? I did see somewhere flat on the floor and on top of each other. Is this correct?
snow report
Jerby,

Not entirely, upright is best. In theory you should rotate them every few weeks......

Have a look at this, I have the Michelin stuff somewhere as well. I will try and find it.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/assets/docs/tsb_112102.pdf
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did see a storage rack advertised on one of the tyre sites.
ski holidays
Storage racks are lovely and all, but...... 4 wheels and tyres, or just tyres stacked flat, in a dry environment, out of direct sunlight is all that's required.
latest report
Quote:

Not entirely, upright is best. In theory you should rotate them every few weeks......

Have a look at this, I have the Michelin stuff somewhere as well. I will try and find it.

Without the weight of a vehicle on them, it will make no difference whatsoever which way up the tyres are stored and could be stored for years without being rotated, as long as they are not squashed or distorted. As tyremen says, just keep them out of the sun or prolonged heat.
latest report
[quote="tangowaggon"]
Quote:

Without the weight of a vehicle on them, it will make no difference whatsoever which way up the tyres are stored and could be stored for years without being rotated, as long as they are not squashed or distorted. As tyremen says, just keep them out of the sun or prolonged heat.

This is Michelin's advice :-

Long-term storage
For longer-term storage, place tyres vertically on racks raised at least 10cm (4") above floor level. Slightly rotate them once a month to avoid distortion. If a fitted tyre is not used for a longer period of time, check the pressure regularly and maintain it at level recommended by the manufacturer.

I did say in theory, (I think if I had paid for Michelins I would keep them in a bank vault Very Happy)

the rest of it is here :-

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/care-guide/the-storage-story
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/mDgSk5xWkrI&feature=player_embedded
latest report
DB, Have a look at this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=96818
snow report
From my 15 years in ICI chemicals & polymers research labs and 3 years studying plastics and rubber technology, I learned that ozone is one of the main killers of rubber, especially when the rubber is stretched ( a rubber band stretched round a package will perish whilst those still in the box are ok ) this is why a flat tyre on a vehicle in long term storage will crack around the area where the tyre is most distorted. A tyre, even with the weight of a rim is unlikely to distort enough for ozone to have an effect regardless of which way up it is stored. Unless it is stored on a rack where the bars distort the tyre?, I always store my tyres horizontally

UV is another killer of any polymer, storing tyres outside in the Texan sun is a really bad idea, fair enough, there's not much you can do once they are on the car. Anyone that has visited Florida or any other sunny country might have seen the crazed and yellowed plastic headlamp lenses on older cars, that is what sunlight does to polymers, something you rarely see in the UK.

Heat is also bad news, the chemical reactions above will typically double in rate for every 10'c rise in temperature.

If they are recommending a 6 year life for tyres in Texas, given the climate there, this is understandable. Personally, I would not worry about a 6 year old tyre in the uk but insurance companies can be iffy about tyres over 7 years, so regardless of how well the tyre is stored, its not worth the risk.

The goodyear Vector "allseason " tyres we fitted to the S-max have been excellent this month and the cheaper winter tyres I put on the transit have seen it plough through snow and ice that would have stopped it dead with standard tyres on
snow report
tangowaggon, "Unless it is stored on a rack where the bars distort the tyre?" You are probably right, that advice is probably aimed at tyre dealers etc. where they are stored upright but on adapted pallet racking. To be fair one of them does mention the ozone thing.
Snow has gone now anyway Toofy Grin At least here....
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/YdgkCezxP0c
ski holidays
tyremen, what are your thoughts on retread winter tyres. Loads of people on the continent use them but are they any good? Some real bargains around like £200 for 4x 225/45/17s
latest report
Dot.,

We use retreads, actually they are remoulds where a skim of new rubber is put over the sidewall as well, on our old discovery van (the one with your roof bars on Smile ) that we basically only use in the winter, and in the summer if we are desperate to tow things out of the mud, like we were all last summer rolling eyes
They have a pattern very similar to BFG AT and we have never had a problem in several years.
Remould / retread tyres did have a reputation for, basically, losing the new tread because the bonding fails or also sidewalls failing because they have been "pushed too far". But "new" tyres can fail too.
What you may not realise is that a substantial proportion of trucks (and presumably buses ? but I am not in that business) run on retreaded tyres, all the major manufacturers do it, including Michelin, and they advertise their truck tyres emphasizing the 3 lives, new tyre, recut the tread (you are given a specific depth to go to). then retread. They cannot be retreaded twice. Give that a tyre for one of our trailers is £450+ for the cheapest new and a retread is £270 you can understand the inclination when you are buying 4 or 6.
To answer your question though, I would tend not to put them on my car. I can and do put them on commercial vehicles, including like I said a 4X4, where you are not going to do high speeds and where the tyres are inspected regularly. (Drivers walkround check every day, safety inspection in a workshop every 6 weeks. that will hopefully pick up any signs of delamination. )
I have had them fail on trucks, and trailers, you have probably seen the "cast off" treads on the motorway verges, and the worst things are the damage it does to your vehicle, it usually takes out the mudguards and sometimes the back lights and the potential for causing an accident in the following traffic. Having said that I have had "new" truck tyres fail too.
In "green" terms retreading tyres is a good thing to do because you get that second life out of the casing.
ski holidays
skitow, Thanks for that. Don't retreads have to meet the same standards are manufactured tyres?

I've had retreads in the past (Colways on a modified jeep) but never on a car.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy