Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - tips please!!

Poster: A snowHead
A group of six of us are going to Saalbach in early Feb and I'm very excited!

We're in the Hotel Konig which has an excellent rating on Trip Advisor.

Any tips for best pistes and best apres?

We'll ski pretty much anything on piste, and love some nice reds/blacks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hotel Konig is on the main road through Saalbach - 200m from Bobby's and Underbar, 300m from the Schattberg lift. The beginner run on the Kohlmais side of the valley ends in your back garden, so you can ski/wobble home from the apres bars on that side of the valley. The beginners' tow takes you up to the Turm and Kohlmais lifts, or it's a 5 minute walk up the pedestrian street to these or the Barnkogel gondola for the link to Hinterglemm.

The whole resort above mid-station is nice reds and wide blues - the blacks are on Schattberg or Zwolfer (Hinterglemm). Don't miss the trip across to Leogang and the Atsitz Brau restaurant.

Apres:
Cheesy Europop/dancing on tables etc - Hinterhagalm in Saalbach or Goasstall in Hinterglemm.
Busy outdoor, singalong stuff, occasional live music - Bauers Schialm or Spitzpub
Stare deeply into each others eyes and pay €5+ for a beer - Eva Alm, Hotel Neuhaus and more
Floodlight skiing & apres - Unterschwartzach (U-Bahn) in Hinterglemm
Rugby & Football on TV + live music nights + €2.20 Happy Hour beers - Bobby's
Shake a tail feather - Castello (under the Hotel Saalbacherhof)
Scandinavians - Underbar
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wow, thanks for all that!

Definitely won't be staring into each other's eyes though haha
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any more?

(Except from Whitegold saying I should have booked somewhere else)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is a great place. Was there in 2007 in late March and only my second week on board but:

- You have the apres covered above. Goasstall is apparently a must just after skiing but I did not know it at the time Sad
Bauers Schialm was great nevertheless, as the other places in the village for nightlife. There was a lovely old looking bar in town, maybe Zum Turm. Can't find the info anywhere.

- If you manage to get a powder day head straight above right side of Hinterglemm: Spieleck and Hochalm chairs are quick and have lovely open bowls for easy off piste.

- If the snow is not so good, the left side of piste map will have better conditions.

- Run to Leogang is a must. As the nice restaurant on top of gondola there.

- Only one long drag lift left on the ski circus if you go anti-clockwise. We sometimes took a bus to avoid it.
(upper part of Barnkogel above Saalbach, I think due for upgrade next year)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Piccadilly, What more do you want? wink

More bars? - Burgi's / Zum Turm / Steiners / Alibi / Otzi / Stampl plus a whole lot more in Hinterglemm
More nightclubs? - Taverne (disco) or Kuhstal (2 blokes with mullets and moustaches murder hits of the 80's)
Butt-naked ladies? - Why Not (Eastern European) or Kings Club (East Lancs Road)
Mad, drunken partly-floodlit tobogganing? - from Maisalm or Spielberghaus.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 2-10-12 22:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
quinton, you've been most helpful my dear, I just wondered if anyone else had experiences they could share.

PS being female I don't fancy staring at other women's naked bums, but I'll pass the info onto the boys!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do the tobogganing if you can and snowmobile racing if you fancy something different. The toboggan is brilliant, you head up there on a cat and meet for a quick drink at a restaurant. Then you get your sled, bomb down the same road you came up, in the dark, with a stream on the side of you. Great fun. We drank mostly in Bauer's Inferno, which was fun. Castellos play some live music, but don't remember too much as we were all plastered. Couldn't help you with runs as I don't remember them now but there is some good off-piste if you know where to look.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Piccadilly, Although quinton has apparently managed to condense much of my self-compiled, comprehensive, 17 page guide to Saalbach-Hinterglemm (its skiing, apres-ski, restaurants, bars, etc.) into a few succinct, punchy paragraphs, I'll gladly send you a copy if you send me a PM with your e-mail address. Try not to fall asleep when reading it!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Piccadilly, Just one favourite itinerary, which combines an enjoyable day's skiing with some of the best mountain restaurants and a fairly unbeatable apres-ski finale:
1. Go up to summit of Schattberg Ost in Schattberg Xpress gondola
2. Take pistes 2a (blue) or 3 (red), followed by 2b (blue) down to Jausern (7km)
3. Go up to summit of Wildenkarkogel in Schoenleitenbahn gondola
4. Take blue piste 62 to Polten chairlift
5. (This can be omitted, but it would be a shame) Take blue piste 68 (7.5km) to Viehhofen, calling at Hecherhuette for a mid-morning pit-stop (best gulasch soup in the valley for those who haven't had breakfast)
6. Take ski bus back to Schoenleitenbahn lift and repeat stage 3 and 4
7. Take red piste 82 to the Asitzmulden chairlift
8. Take blue piste 87 to top station of Asitzbahn gondola
9. Stop for lunch at either the Alte Schmiede or the Asitzbraeu (two of the best restaurants)
10. Take red pistes 88/89, followed by black piste 89a down to Leogang
11.Take Asitzbahn gondola to summit of Kleine Asitz
12. Take blue piste 87 to Asitzgipfelbahn chairlift
13. Take red pistes 83 or 84 or blue 85 to Sportbahn 2000 chairlift
14. Take blue pistes 63/64 to Schoenleiten 6er chairlift
15. Take blue pistes 65 then 66 from summit of Wildenkarkogel down to the Bergeralm (aka Bergerhochalm)
16. Stop there for Happy Hour (3.30-4.30) (Buy one drink, get one free)
17. Take blue piste 66, then blue piste 52 down to the Hinterhagalm
18. Stop there for the apres-ski party (4.00-7.15pm)
19. Ski down nursery slopes to Bauers Schialm
20. Stop there for more apres-ski revelry, or totter back to the hotel
This itinerary lends itself to back-tracking and doing other pistes on the way if time allows. The piste map (downloadable on saalbach.com) is quite clear and easy to follow.
Well, that's certainly got me in the mood!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tatman's Tours wrote:

Well, that's certainly got me in the mood!

You're not the only one Laughing

One of the best itinerary suggestions I've read. Ever. Toofy Grin Cool snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gainz, thanks for the tip, I've tried toboggoning before at Schladming which was quite a good laugh..

Tatman's Tours, that day sounds absolutely EPIC! I will definitely make a note of that and we'll give it a bash.

I tried to PM you to get your comprehensive guide, but I can't because you're 'down a crevasse' whatever that means...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chasseur wrote:

One of the best itinerary suggestions I've read. Ever. Toofy Grin Cool snowHead

tatman is the shizzle when it comes to Saalbach! quinton's pretty good too wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chasseur, and Gainz, Thanks for those words of appreciation and encouragement, although I've a feeling that quinton is more of a shizzle than I could ever hope to be.
Piccadilly, I'm trying to sort out the 'crevasse' problem; in the meantime you'll find my contact details on my website (below).
There is a proper toboggan run from the top of the Reiterkogelbahn gondola in Hinterglemm. It passes by the Pfefferalm, which is the oldest restaurant in the valley and you can drop in there for a gluhwein/jagertee on the way down. It's open in the evenings, and you hire the sledges (quite cheaply) from the Reiterkogelbahn bottom station.
The one that Gainz is referring to is from the Spielberghaus in Saalbach; you can read all about in the following MSN News article: http://www.budgettravel.com/bt-dyn/content/article/2005/06/04/AR2005060400770_2.html
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tatman's Tours, many thanks!

Now you've climbed out of your crevasse, I've PMd you my email address Very Happy

Do you think they'll ever put a lift in from Vorderglemm up to Schattberg Ost? Seems to be the big missing link in the clockwise ski circus..
snow report
Blame Chasseur, for encouraging me, but I just couldn't resist adding another highly recommended itinerary: more challenging than the last one!
1. Go up to summit of Schattberg Ost in Schattberg Xpress gondola
2. Take red piste 5 to Schattberg Sprinter gondola and go up to Schattberg West
3. Take red piste 6/6a down to Hinterglemm (5km) (Gerstreitalm makes great home-made Germknoedels for anyone who missed brekky)
4. Go up Zwoelferkogelbahn gondola to summit of Zwoelferkogel
5. Take black piste 15 (World Cup run) down to mid-station of Zwoelferkogelbahn
6. Repeat stage 4 (from mid-station)
7. Take black piste 14 (the most difficult in the area) down to bottom station of the Hochalmbahn
8. Go up to Hochalm and stop for lunch at the Sonnhof
9. Take Spieleck chairlift up to the Spieleckkogel and turn left, bearing westwards and staying high until past the top of the Spieleck T-bar
9. Take blue piste 19 (which marks the outer edge of the ski area) to Hochalm chairlift
10. From top of Hochalm chairlift take blue piste 26/27 down to Rosswaldlift (short T-bar)
11. From top of Rosswaldlift, take blue piste 31 down to top station of Reiterkogelbahn gondola
12. Continue down blue piste 32a to Pfefferalm (oldest restaurant in valley)
13. Stop for candlelit gluhwein/jagertee in front of roaring log fire
14. Coninue down 32a to Goassstall - stop for apres-ski party (4.00 - 7.15pm)
15. Ski last 100m down from Goassstall to Reiterkogelbahn bottom station
16. Take taxi (plentiful and cheap - about 4 euros per person-, and takes about 5 mins at warp speed) back to Saalbach
As before, this itinerary lends itself to back-tracking and doing other pistes on the way if time allows. The piste map (downloadable on saalbach.com) is quite clear and easy to follow.
This itinerary allows you to focus on the enormous amount of skiing at the far end of the valley beyond Hinterglemm, taking in the most challenging piste and possibly the most rustically charming restaurant, and to end up at one of the best apres-ski parties in the Alps, without feeling any pressure to catch the last lifts back to Saalbach.
snow conditions
Piccadilly,
Quote:

Do you think they'll ever put a lift in from Vorderglemm up to Schattberg Ost? Seems to be the big missing link in the clockwise ski circus..

We keep hearing rumours, and it's obviously got to happen one day. Maybe the year after next, when they've finally upgraded that infernal T-bar from the mid-station of the Bernkogel. It's difficult to differentiate between rumour, speculation and fact - as with the talk about linking up with Zell am See, or in the other direction with Kitzbuehel. quinton, may know more.
snow report
Tatman's Tours, yes it is crying out to be built. I guess it will be a long and extremely expensive lift! Oh well, when they do, it'll be another reason to go back!

I'm overwhelmed with info, thank you. Your e-mailed guide is amazing!

I will make a note of both of those itineraries, I especially like where they end up Toofy Grin
ski holidays
You know when you click on a user name to drop the name into the text box? For some reason it doesn't work with Tatman's Tours

Anyway Tatman's Tours (in long hand Laughing ) I dropped you an email from your website address yesterday - not sure if it got through so thought I'd try this route - about availability at your place. If not, let me know and I'll PM the details.
ski holidays
Chasseur, I see what you mean; maybe I should close the gap in the middle and see if that fixes it.
I don't seem to have received your message - I wonder why, because my e-mails seem to be coming through as normal. Either e-mail me or PM me your contact details.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 4-10-12 18:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Tatman's Tours, cheers - have resent the email. Might be worth taking out your email address now - avoid the scammers or scrappers, or whatever they're called Smile
snow conditions
Chasseur wrote:
You know when you click on a user name to drop the name into the text box? For some reason it doesn't work with Tatman's Tours

That's because the forum software quotes the name with single quotes, and since there is already one in the username, that makes three in total, which confuses the software. Hover over the name to see what it will generate, and you'll see what I mean.
ski holidays
ousekjarr, Not the first time I've confused someone Confused
snow report
Chasseur, I noticed that too, he's an anomaly!

He is an extremely helpful chap, he's emailed me both of those fab tours, and I fully intend to haul the group round both of them!
snow report
Piccadilly, Modesty forbids me from agreeing with the latter sentiment (if not the former), but thank you for the compliment. I enjoyed doing them, having each time taken myself on a 'virtual' tour.
snow conditions
Had an amazing holiday in Saalbach last year and looking to go back March 2013. Thinking of first week in March but does anyone know if this clashes with any school holidays - we don't want to go when the schools are off. Thanks for any advice Smile
ski holidays
mcphail,
This site seems to be what you need: http://www.schoolholidayseurope.eu/

Let me know if I can be of any help - we've just had a cancellation for that week.
snow report
Tatman's Tours, quinton - have been looking at Apartments Sonnwies and Hotel Konig for 1st week Feb. Any insight (or other recommendations)? Ideally want SC, in central/lively location. The DIY options look v expensive i.e. Residence Kristall Apartment at £1317 for two people (very nice though), so it may well be a TO trip (at approx same price on a B&B basis when F & T are included).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chasseur, oooooo stay at the Konig, 1st week in Feb is when I'll be there. It'll be nice to meet a fellow snowHead
snow report
Piccadilly, just booked it as it happens snowHead Will be there with my son.
snow report
Chasseur, and Piccadilly, We'll be in Saalbach that week so do pop in to see us if you're passing; we're directly opposite the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn lift station - in fact it would be great to meet up. I suggest Bobby's Pub, which is the most popular 'apres-apres-ski' (as opposed to the earlier 'apres-ski', which runs from 4pm to 7.30pm) haunt for the Brits.
snow report
YAAAY! There are six of us staying, you can't miss us - we will all have Angry Bird helmet covers.

The Konig has great reviews. See you there.
snow conditions
Tatman's Tours - an excellent suggestion, thanks. I'll email my phone number (have your contact info, as you know). Seriously looking forward to this trip snowHead
snow conditions
Piccadilly, YAAAY! Indeed! "Angry Bird" helmets...? Something we should know? wink
ski holidays
Tatman's Tours just spotted your reply, yes it would be fab to meet up.

An evening beer in Bobby's Pub would be grand. Will email you my number too, I cannot wait for this trip either!

Chasseur, the helmet covers are just something silly for the group to wear so we can spot each other on the slopes! Available on eBay haha..
latest report
Piccadilly, aha...a quick google and I can now see why you'll be easy to spot Laughing
snow report
Quote:

I can now see why you'll be easy to spot

I'm also easy to spot by the acronym "T.W.A.T." on the front of my cap (short for Tatman's Winter Alpine Tours)
latest report
Luckily you don't lead Keith's Notable Off-piste Boarders....!
ski holidays
Piccadilly, and Chasseur, Join 'Chalet Tatman' Facebook page for regular Saalbach-related news, weather reports, photos and videos.
latest report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Quote:

I can now see why you'll be easy to spot

I'm also easy to spot by the acronym "T.W.A.T." on the front of my cap (short for Tatman's Winter Alpine Tours)

Laughing Laughing PMSL Laughing Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy