Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2012 / 2013

Poster: A snowHead
http://grangedalice.blogspot.fr/

More interesting stuff from araird

I love this blog Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
genepi wrote:

Brillant reading. Learning so much about the area. Cool
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thefatcontroller, Yes - me too Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Been very busy for the last few days having fun in the powder, staying out late and leaving early in the morning to find more good snow so know time for updates until now.

I have just posted the last photos for this weeks in the Feb 2013 Album on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page. If you want to see what we have been doing over the past week take a look.

http://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/photos

The conditions over the past few days have been great. Fresh powder most of the time and a mix of good light with blue skies and cloudy poor visibility days.

The fresh snow has kept the pistes in great conditions in most areas of the paradiski, even where it is busy. The off piste although well tracked is still soft and light in the more sheltered places. As we approach the busy period the sun is promising to come out and with good snow depths right down into the stations anyone coming on holiday should have a great time.

The roads on Saturday are likely to be very busy in both directions coming into Bourg St Maurice and first thing in the morning it could be icy. Take care all those driving out. See some of you on the hill on Sunday.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just back from best week ever - amazing conditions and a little bit of sunshine for our last runs of the week yesterday. Enjoy anyone going out this week, conditions are fantastic. Powder everywhere so light and forgiving even our motley crew looked reasonably proficient Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Can confirm that snowcrazy's prediction of very busy roads today was accurate.

Arrived in Peisey at 8pm tonight after 11 hour schlep from Calais. Currently unwinding avec vin rouge, looking forward to getting out there tomorrow.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
genepi wrote:

Excellent blog, not sure how I have missed this one!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boredsurfing, You can subscribe by e-mail.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thefatcontroller, Yes indeed I have, now reading back through, as you said great for learning about the area and the subtle politics!
The war time history references I find fascinating, particularly as so little appears in English and yet there is the RAF memorial at Plagne Centre that is always well maintained and the central point for a memorial event every August.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It was pretty busy going down the mountain on sat morning. We were running late and didnt leave 1950 till 8.30 and it was pretty solid from a couple of k before Aime to the tunnels. Other than that, slow in a couple of places but nothing major. Both ways though, we got stuck at the toll on the new road north of lyon airport. Having a tag is great but you still get hung up by people trying to push up the outside of the other lanes (I might have noticed the odd Belgian plate but I'm mostly likely mistaken in that).
We had a great week and loved the place so much we're already looking at next year, but with maybe a couple of changes ? We met several families who travelled down on the direct train from St Pancras, so this might be an option, and we're all back on the same 1/2 term week next year, so I dont know what the snow is usually like at Easter ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mikeh, Don't dismiss the indirect and overnight train option. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=88330&highlight=
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just back from Peisey Vallandry, where we've had a fab time!

Full trip report here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=98061

chemistry
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thefatcontroller, thats an interesting thread. I think Mrs mikeh will probably prefer the direct St Pancras - BSM service but its better to explore all of the options before deciding. We're only a 50 min train ride from Kings Cross which helps
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi folks, been really busy just having fun in all this powder and staying out far to late so just not made it home in time to keep up with the posts.

A quick update of the last few days.

The snow came again at the end of last week and topped up the pistes and off piste areas very nicely. For the last few days, despite there being more people about than a week ago, we have not had to many queues so far, although it did seem more crowded this afternoon as the holiday makers started exploring further afield.

With the blue sky each day since Saturday and little wind, it really has been quite nice even on the pistes, in the snow park, border cross courses and of course in the trees and off piste areas.

The Pistes, despite being busy, are still in very good condition in most places, even coming into the stations or lifts. The warmer afternoon temperatures make it quite pleasant to get around the whole paradiski area. So far I have not seen many bare patches and few very icy pistes except on the north facing well used slopes. If the top up that is predicted for later in the week arrives then these good conditions should continue into next week.

As for the off piste, take a look at the photos I will be posting shortly of the conditions in the last few days. Even today we were still finding untracked powder off the beaten track. Right now it is well worth taking a guide if you want to have some real fun in the back country. Send me a PM if you want some contacts for guides or fancy meeting up.

The piste nature areas and most 'in-bound' off piste areas are well skied, but the snow is still soft and light in many places although it is also becoming hard packed and even crusty where the sun has been directly shinning onto the surface, ' breakable crust' YUK!!

Overall I think the conditions are great, even better than last year. For anyone coming out, you are going to have a good time and if you like the off piste, get some fat skis and join in all the fun!!

If you want to see the photos of the last few days, take a look at my 'Les Arcs Winter' facebook page. Enjoy!!

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mikeh wrote:
thefatcontroller, thats an interesting thread. I think Mrs mikeh will probably prefer the direct St Pancras - BSM service but its better to explore all of the options before deciding. We're only a 50 min train ride from Kings Cross which helps

Thanks, where we live the overnight works best. However I suppose my general point is that taking the train to Les Arcs is a very under estimated option.
snow report
Wednesday 20 Feb. What a good day we had. Even nearly a week since the last powder we were still able to find about 1 km of the untracked stuff, might have been even more.

The Bellecote never gives up all it's secrets at once, you have to work hard to find some of them. Today we headed to the Glacier above La Plagne via the cliffs of the Roche de Mio and then over onto the North Face.

On the way over the snow was well tracked, but still soft, fun to ride and quite stable which meant we could try yet another route.

After dropping onto the North Face we made our way down until we passed the tracked out areas and entered a long section of light almost champagne powder. It was such fun making our way through this untracked snow we just wished it would not end. Tried a bit more synchronised skiing and finally hit the forest. Then headed down into the river valley and out to the Chaval Restaurant for a nice lunch before returning to Les Arcs.

Once in Les Arcs we went back to the Arc 2000 bowl and looked at all the new skis and snowboards for next season at the test area at the top of the Transarc plus having the chance to try out the Snowpulse Air Bag system and even testing the inflation method. Most effective! If you can afford the cost, any one of the ABS, BCA or Snowpulse air bag systems are well worth getting if you spend your time off piste as we do together with having your own transceiver, shovel and probes of course.

Then it was time for the 'Boardercross Course' and a little race which one of the kids won before heading to the snowpark and a few jumps (I took the photos). Finally it was time to go home for some hot wine. More too come tomorrow!

Although the pistes and lift queues are getting busier, the pistes are still in good condition and whilst the off piste is well tracked, it is still fun with the odd surprise if you know where to look. More snow might come this weekend so if you are coming out soon it should be good.

The photos of the last couple of days will be posted shortly in the Feb 2013 Album Two of my Les Arcs Winter facebook page for those interested in seeing what we have been doing. Enjoy! Very Happy

Photos I liked from the last few days.

Les Arcs Backcountry!

Quite a jump!

Getting started when you are young is always fun!
snow report
More fuzzy pics, it would be soooooo cool to see something sharp.. dynamic. You have so much opportunity to get cracking images...
latest report
3 weeks till we are out again and nice to see tonight on the Champagny web cam that is is snowing again and low Cool
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, It is even snowing looking out of our window, pretty cold today and snow forecast for tomorrow as well.
snow report
skichampcouk, You win Mad Mad Laughing Laughing Excellent season so far?
snow report
Here is a copy of todays update that I have just posted over on the Les Arcs Winter page. For those just arriving or interested in keeping updated whilst at home, you can be sent this direct each morning if you wish or read a summary on here most days. Hope it helps with your planning.

DAILY UPDATE: Sunday 24 Feb 2013 (Published around 8.30am each day.) All photos for this winter are posted on my 'Les Arcs Winter' facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/photos .

Send me a PM if you would like the contact details of local English speaking 'Guides/Ski Instructors' so you can also discover some of these great places.

WHAT IT IS LIKE OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW!
It look's like being a bad visibility day. It is misty outside right now with about 4cm of fresh snow on the path. The mountains are blocked from view and there is snow on the trees nearby. It is cold again, but little wind down here. The roads are covered with a thin layer of snow and icy. If you are driving out you may need chains to get up the mountain and the roads are likely to be busy again.

1) REMONTEES MECANIQUES (Ski Lifts closed today from Service ADS)
SECTEUR PEISEY-VALLANDRY : OUVERT
SECTEUR 1600 : OUVERT
SECTEUR 1800 : OUVERT
SECTEUR 2000 : OUVERT
SECTEUR VILLAROGER : OUVERT

VANOISE EXPRESS : OUVERT (Connect with MONTCHAVIN-LA PLAGNE )

2) BEST PISTES TO SKI: (Recommended by Security de piste):
SECTEUR 1600 : MONT BLANC
SECTEUR 1800 : GRANDS MELEZES
SECTEUR 2000 : VALLEE DE L’ARC
SECTEUR PEISEY-VALLANDRY : RENARD

3) CONDITIONS ON THE MOUNTAIN: (provided by Security de Piste)
Altitude: 1620/1800 m 2040 m 2400 m 3000 m
Snow depth: 120 cm, 193cm, 208cm, 268 cm,
Temperatures: -11, -14, -16, -21.
Avalanche Risk: (Risque d’avalanche (1 à 5) : 1 risque FAIBLE (low)
Last snowfall: (Dernière chute de neige) : 7 cm – Dim. 24 fév. 2013

4) WEATHER FORECAST: (Provided by Meteo France BSM)
Bad weather! Overcast, mountains often covered with clouds. There might be some clearer periods above 2500 m at times. The atmosphere is very cold and it is likely to snow lightly during the day.

TREND FOR TOMORROW: Better weather! Clouds and some light snow showers are expected at times, but the weather may improve slightly. It is still very cold, but may begin to become warmer in the coming days. The wind blows in gusts.

5) TIPS of the DAY: (provided by Security de epistle)
Excellent skiing conditions with 7 cm of fresh light fluffy snow. Skiers of all levels do not hesitate to climb to altitude, you'll always find a blue piste down except from the Grand Col chair lift and the Aiguille Rouge.

Discover and Enjoy the fun areas of Les Arcs:
ARC 1600: Snow Park and big air bag (the giant airbag giant cushions your most spectacular tricks).
ARC 2000: Toboggan "the Rodeo Park" (3000 m track), the boardercross pistes.
Peisey-Vallandry: Test your speed and braking distance on the piste reserved for this
"the Chrono Speed".

Do not forget to cover yourself, take breaks regularly to avoid the risk of frostbite and remember to hydrate with hot drinks.

CAUTION: Control your speed in all circumstances. Take notice of the fluorescent banners planted on the slopes, they are there to mark degraded areas (plate of hardened snow etc, ...) and where intersections are located to make you slow down.

COUNCIL sécuritée: Stay on marked open pistes and be safe.

RESPECT THE NATURE! ! !

HAVE A GOOD DAY!

For all your Ski and Snowboard rental needs, visit Polaire Star Ski Shop next to the bottom of the funicular station in Bourg St Maurice.

http://www.polairestar.com/
snow report
Summary for the last week. What a great time we have all had!!

Not as busy as expected on the lifts for 'English half term week' and loads of snow.

Powder and fresh tracks almost everyday with blue sky most of the time. It was cold, but then that is what has kept the snow so good.

The off piste for the past week has been in excellent condition most of the time in the backcountry with plenty of places to put down fresh tracks in knee deep powder. Even within the bounds of the resort ski area although well tracked the snow stayed in good condition and was fun especially in the trees.

The pistes have held up well to the busy traffic and there were not too many icy patches coming thorough even into the lifts and resort stations.

The youngsters enjoyed the snowpark, boardercross and speed skiing areas and some even managed to pull off some new tricks which was great to 'watch!' The toboggan run in Arc 2000 bowl was also fun. Although one friend did hurt her knee so be careful how fast you are going when you hit the walls.

Those that had lessons found the ESF Instructors to be mostly very good and making an effort to explain in English which was great to hear. If the kids are happy, the holiday is much easier! Everyone managed to get their badges and some good race results as well.

Last night as we said our good byes, the feeling amongst everyone was the conditions have been great and everyone hopes it will be the same again at Easter.

It was snowing again last night with about 7cm of fresh snow by this morning, but it is very cold again. - 21 degrees at the top they have predicted. I am having a day off today, then back up again tomorrow.

I have just posted the last of the photos from this week so if you are interested in seeing what we have been doing, take a look in the Feb 2013 Album Two on my 'Les Arcs Winter' facebook page. Enjoy!

If you fancy discovering some of these great off piste areas send me a PM and we can see what could be arranged. I know many local English speaking Instructors/guides if you need one.

Here are a few photos from the last few days.

Amazing powder!

Careful does it, you do not want to get wet!!

What a great view of the apartment!

They learn quickly when young!!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 24-02-13 12:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
snowcrazy wrote:

What a great view of the apartment!

If you could pop back on a sunny day I would appreciate it wink Laughing

Nice Cool
ski holidays
Take a look at the photos on my facebook page, there is a special one there just for you!! Very Happy
snow report
snowcrazy, great to see you having so much fun!

Catch you soon mon ami!
ski holidays
snowcrazy wrote:
Take a look at the photos on my facebook page, there is a special one there just for you!! Very Happy

Found it thanks Cool
snow report
thefatcontroller, read your excellent train to BStM post - one small correction. There is a free bus that shuttles backwards and forwards from the furnicualr to the station. If you go out of the side gate on the right of the station building as you are heading towards it from the platform to the bus park at the back of the station, it usually stops in about the second or thid slot down i.e. quite near the paltforms - no need to go through the station itself. If you don't have much luggage it's prob not worth waiting for, it can take a while.
latest report
RattytheSnowRat, Thanks, I did hear there was one but we find find no timetable. To be honest even with luggage we manage. Coming home in January as we got off the funni we saw some heading up the stairs heading to the station. We went down the road and up by the side under the barrier to the platforms near the station and got there before them.

I did also read somewhere that they are re-doing the bridge this year as the whole, funni, train access is a joke.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thefatcontroller, twas araird's blog

There's a nice pizza restaurant on that road (the parade down from the roundabout, one nearest the funicular end) if you arrive down the last funi and are waiting for your evening train home. They make you leave bags outside on the veranda, so you need to get a window table, but pleasant service, good food, not unreasonable prices. I've encountered the local management from 1950 who live in BSM getting takeaways from there.

Only seen the shuttle bus once or twice in many years of commuting that stretch.

One of the great pi$$ers of the world is being on the back of the Eurostar, without an exit at that end (they put a gendarme on the platform where the fence finishes)
So you walk the length of the train (17 carriages - I counted them) dragging your bags through the uncleared snow, through the exit for no good reason, as there's not even a welcoming smile to be had, turn around, and walk the whole length back again the other side of the fence. Then over that bloody bridge, and then to the funicular. I'm certain I hear sniggering with a French accent.

When we're with the kids, we get the taxi up the hill. It's worth it. Or [lightbulb moment] maybe that's the point...
ski holidays
Welcome to the 'High Season!' Today it took some effort to find untracked powder, but we managed it. Only a short section, but enough to make it worth the effort. Then a nice ski down to the trees for lunch in the sun. Even though the wind was blowing high on the mountains on the sunny south facing slopes sheltered by the trees it was actually quite pleasant.

After a nice picnic we headed to the lifts in Peisey. The early morning queues we had experienced were even bigger. As we made our way back across Les Arcs there were many people about and it was time to head off piste again. The snow was still good in the trees coming down towards Arc 1600 and we met some guys taking a bit of air!

The pistes across Les Arcs today had held up well to the busy traffic and although hard packed in many places you could still have a bit of fun carving on the wider pistes. The off piste lower down although well tracked had a nice cover of fresh snow, more in fact than higher on the mountain and we also found some good untracked sheltered areas higher up.

It was very cold again today, but the sun made it quite pleasant. Tomorrow I hope the queues are not so bad as we hope to head across to the Bellecote in search of more fresh tracks.

If you want to see the photos I have just posted of where we went today, check them out in the Feb 2013 Album Two on my 'Les Arcs Winter' facebook page. Enjoy!

Here are a few photos from today!

He landed this! Just!

Welcome to 'High Season!'

Still places to make your own fresh powder turns!
snow report
Very informative posts and great pics from all contributors, thanks. We're thinking of spending 1 week in late March in one of the Esprit chalets in Plan Peisey. Never been to Les Arcs so would like to find out if PP is a decent location for mileage hungry strong intermediates (we are taking our 5 year old with us that's why the Esprit option is appealing). Can you normally ski down to that level in late March (I would have thought the current snow depth should be sufficient to allow that)? Thank you.
snow conditions
snowcrazy, Shocked That lift photo looks like your arrival coincided with the VE & kick out time for Club Med. I've seen the lifties there shouting out to people in various languages to put their skis on before joining the queue Shocked Laughing

franga, In my experience of late March, there is usually plenty of snow in late March - you may find it a bit soup-like on the final stretch down, but plenty of miles to be had Toofy Grin Enjoy it
latest report
Arctic Roll wrote:
One of the great pi$$ers of the world is being on the back of the Eurostar, without an exit at that end (they put a gendarme on the platform where the fence finishes)
So you walk the length of the train (17 carriages - I counted them) dragging your bags through the uncleared snow, through the exit for no good reason, as there's not even a welcoming smile to be had, turn around, and walk the whole length back again the other side of the fence. Then over that bloody bridge, and then to the funicular. I'm certain I hear sniggering with a French accent.

Trying to work this out. I thought at the end of every platform were steps up to the bridge to the funni? What fence?
snow report
There is a high wire fence down the middle the whole length of the platform that the Eurostar uses and I think the steps up from the Eurostar side have a locked barrier.

They have to stop direct access on the trains going out because they do all the passport & customs checks in the little room near the station building. I think the point being made is that no reason to do this for the trains coming in.
snow report
Today, Tuesday 26 Feb, we headed over to the Bellecote as planned and were pleased to find both the Gondola and Traverse Chair running. The wind was blowing strongly on the shoulder of the North Face as we approached and when we looked over the edge all we could see was breakable crust or cruddy snow most of the way down. Time to change our plan.

We made a lap of the bowl area instead, finding some fresh snow not effected by the wind and sun. Then back up to the top. After another inspection we headed for the Friolin Bowl in the hope of finding better snow. Good choice!

From the corner of the ridge into the bowl to the valley floor far below we found untracked powder most of the time with a bit of crud and one spot of breakable crust (sorry about that Mr. P!). Then more powder in the trees right to the piste and chair lift.

Up the lifts and down the ridge from the top of the Dos Rond all the way to the Vanoise Express off piste again. More good snow in the sheltered areas and finally home with a hot chocolate stop on the way. The pistes on the way over to the Bellecote in the morning and back to Les Arcs in the afternoon were hard packed with a thin layer of chalky snow on top. Fun to ski as long as you could hold your edge. However the lifts and pistes were very busy again today and you had to hold your edge or risk a slide as the pistes becaame very well used in places. The off piste despite being well tracked in places was still ok to ski and we did find more fresh powder which was an excellent reward for the days effort.

The photos of today have just been posted in the Feb 2013 Album Two of my 'Les Arcs Winter' facebook page. Enjoy.

ski holidays
AndrewsPeppers, yup.
snow conditions
AndrewsPeppers, Arctic Roll, Aha, thanks. I shall look for the fence in 2 weeks.

Arctic Roll, Bet if they improve the bridge they will still make you walk. By the way we timed it and when you get to the end of the platform and go right and out by the barrier to the road (before going into the terminal building) it takes the same amount of time to get to the funni along the road as going down the platform and climbing the steps but saves climbing the steps.
snow report
Missed the flash sale for passes for the week I'm in Les Arcs (23-03 - 30-03) as I was in Thailand, any of the locals/regulars care to speculate on the likelihood of another flash sale? Or is it all very much sales/weather forecast dependent?
snow report
thefatcontroller, Laughing

Agree on side route - that's the way I went in Jan with the "boys week". The ony downside is the snow / ice covered paths, not as well cleared as the platform, and no trolley (to abandon at the foot of the stairs). But you're absoutely right, it does save the flippin' bridge, so Even Stevens I reckon.

As per Araird's blog, if only they'd thought to put the funi terminus at the other end...
snow report
bobalexander1983, unlikely - never seen them do it like that before but maybe it's the start off a trend.

snowcrazy, m8 - need a prediction. I have two weeks lined up from 30 March BUT I will only make the trip if it's worth it and my job is cutting up - again - about my 'irrational' (their words) addiction to the white powder so I have not booked any transport yet (could resign - again - but would rather avoid it if poss.).

No liability on you but what's the prognosis? To ski or not to ski? Tell me, oh wise one - will there be snow at that time???? What's the word?

Get it right and there's a bottle with your name on it behind the bar at George's (prob. is anyway but you know what I mean).

Jeez guys, just get the bus/shuttle if you can't be bothered to walk or book it so you are 3/4 towards the back of the train when it stops in BSM. The passerelle stairs aren't that much of an effort, ffs. You are supposed to be fit to ski.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy