Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2012 / 2013

Poster: A snowHead
A couple of pictures form last week

I think this was at the top of the Villards lift

Me on my 30th Birthday on Plan Vert - We were rushing back for the last lift but stopped to take a quick pic of Mont Blanc lit up in the sun

It dosnt look too bad in this picture but we made our way down the Mont Blanc run and the light was terrible, still lots of fun though.

finally on the way home, take one small twisty back road and a coach driver with really bad judgment and you get this

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know this spot rather well as I lived in Hauteville Gondon (and had a chalet there) about 10 years ago. during that time GPS/Sat nav has taken over from common sense and map reading. Stupid people are always getting stuck on this bit up to La Ravoire. Can't these GPS/Sat navs show that this isn't a suitable route for anything other than a normal vehicle, 4 x 4 or with 4 snow tires. I feel sorry for the locals having to endure this stupidity every weekend...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
araird, being coach drivers they should know better, they should put some signs up or somthing. Our taxi driver was a local and we learnt some new french words at the time Laughing it meant going round the other way i think he was trying to avoid going through Aime ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If he thought going up here was avoiding Aime (10 km behind him) then he probably should get another job...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whoop Smile 5 sleeps to go! Great updates snowcrazy Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
araird, it was our taxi that was trying to avoid Aime i think, took us like 3 hours to get from arc2000 to moutiers

a.j., enjoy! the pistes should be in good condition with all the snow lately
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why (and when) was that, out of interest?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Paradiski pistes refreshed by light covering of new snow, only the occasional bit of hardpack to keep us honest

Weather last 2 days a fun mix of sun and blizzard.

Snow forecast for tonight - we shall see
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
araird, i'm assuming he was trying to avoid traffic, it was last saturday after 24 hours worth of snow. They shut the road down between bourg and les arcs while they did the controlled avalanches.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
After posting the update this morning as it was windy, raining and some lifts were delayed from opening I decided to take the day off. I was given the following report by someone that went up anyway.

The mist made the visibility poor 'on and off' most of the day. The snow was wet and heavy lower down, but powder higher up. The winds increased as the day progressed forcing some of the higher lifts to close later in the day. The forest riding was good, but you were dropping through onto cruddy snow quite often. Despite the mixed conditions he said he had fun and did not come down until mid afternoon although he did look very wet when I spoke with him.

Tonight it is snowing heavily up top right now and even lower down the snow is settling. They have now forecast snow for all day tomorrow and the winds are still blowing very strongly tonight. It should be an interesting day. Next update tomorrow morning around 8.30am.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've just wakened up in Plan Peisey at 8 am., and the pisteurs are blasting already! As Snow Crazy said yesterday, there has been a lot of wind and new snow, I would guess at least 15 cm down here at 1700 metres, probably more higher up. The sun is starting to break through a hazy cloud, much clearer than yesterday. I'm looking forward to a brilliant day in lovely fresh powder.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
3-days to go Cool
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Il fait du dump toute la journee

One of your eengleish feet has fallen
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dumping right now in 1800!!!

Been amazing so far, had a bit of a heavy one last night and only had a few casual runs today. Vis was very hit and miss so didn't miss too much.

Think the forecast is for a decent amount of snow, looks promising so far.

Had a falling out with my Whitedot Ones and am experimenting with some other hire ones which is good fun. Had some random Fischer ones today which carved nicely but didn't make the most of the loose snow. Trying something else tomorrow, not sure what yet.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Had a falling out with my Whitedot Ones

- explain (sounds more like a binding problem ....).
ski holidays
Powder! Powder! Powder! Today it just kept on snowing!!

Now all we need is a bit of good weather to really enjoy the backcountry without nearly falling in the holes we cannot see.

Today was another one of those excellent powder days when everywhere you went you were able to make fresh tracks and the powder was flying up into your face. Because some lifts opened late we went up at 10am and then stayed around the Arc 1600 area in the trees and powder fields. After lunch we headed over to the Peisey Vallandry side and again played around in the trees and also in the open areas when the light improved.

We made one effort to go high, but the light was very flat and although the snow was excellent, you could not see anything and I hate falling in holes so we went back to the trees again. Looking across to the Arc 2000 bowl, it was very misty and poor visibility so we did not try going in the other valley.

By the time we went home when the lifts were closing it was snowing right down to the valley and tomorrow should be all fresh tracks again. It was colder today which is great for the snow and the wind had dropped a little which will allow the snow to settle a little. Today was a level 4 avalanche warning day so we did not try anything exposed in the off piste, but still found a few jumps and steeper places to ride safely.

Tomorrow they say the weather will start to improve a little. Looks like we shall have a few more powder days before the week is over.

Take a look at the photos of today (did not take many today in the poor visibility) in the Feb 2013 Album on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page if you are interested in seeing what the conditions are like right now. The amount of snow in the trees in some places is quite amazing. Enjoy!

http://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/photos

Here are some I really like.

Great powder, but in this light it is hard to see where you were going!

Now for something a little bigger!!

Can you see him!?
snow report
snowcrazy, Fantastic photos Very Happy Is that the off piste track that goes off Coombe? And who did you lose in the trees?
ski holidays
greats photos - we cant wait just one more sleep - leave tomorrow morning snowHead
snow report
Today was bloody awesome, spotted an unpisted red from the lift in the morning and it went from there really. Headed over to La Plagne and had lunch at Scotty's so me and my mate could be nostalgic about our season there.

The snow in the trees down towards the Vanoise Express was intense. And the year we spent there it barely snowed! Gutted.

Anyway, perfect snow - couldn't ask for better really. Amazing day.

RattytheSnowRat wrote:
Quote:

Had a falling out with my Whitedot Ones

- explain (sounds more like a binding problem ....).

Nah basically they're too good for me and in poor vis they start skiing me rather than the other way round. They're the older stiffer ones in 180 cm. I really like them, in the right conditions they give me the biggest smile, but it feels like I need to put quite a bit in to get the most out of them. Obviously that's probably just my skill level. I took a really big bail onto my head on the mogully part at the top of the Ecruriels black in poor vis and threw a strop with them. I've forgiven them now though Very Happy

Took them out today anyway in the end, couldn't resist with all the powder around!! Didn't regret it either.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 7-02-13 23:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Not expecting crystal balls, tea-leaves, voodoo, etc, but does anyone have any thoughts (based on past experience) on what conditions might be like in Les Arcs (Arc 1800) this Easter. It's relatively early this year - Good Friday is on March 29th. I think the lifts are open until the end of April but will they be restricting any lifts or runs at the start of April?
snow report
Based on the amount of snow in Paradiski right now compared to 2010 when I worked out here, I would hazard a guess that whatever happens you won't be struggling for snow depth on piste at Easter. Can't say more than that though I reckon.
ski holidays
The POWDER Days just keep on coming!!

Today was awesome!! Powder up to your chest, I am not joking, take a look at the photos after they are posted later.

What a day, with only a quick break for a snack we kept going until the lifts closed and then headed for home. It was snowing lightly as I went down so tomorrow promises to be powder again!.

The light went in and out all day. Sometimes the sun broke through, at other times it was very misty, flat light and you had to take care or you could fall in a hole!! Overall if you were lucky it was possible to get some great runs down in untracked powder almost everywhere.

Having made our way across from the Arc1600 side we headed up to the Grand Col and played around that area most of the morning before heading to Arc 2000 for lunch. Then up the Lanchette Chair and over into the reserve for more fresh tracks before heading for home via the right hand side of Droset, the Malgovert area and finally the Mont Blanc forest and the meadows around Arc 1600 down to the mid station.

With all the fresh snow the pistes are now in excellent condition again and the off piste is amazing! If you are driving out take care as the roads tonight are very slippy and it was snowing low down when I came home a short time ago. You may well need chains to get up into resort tomorrow.

Tomorrow should be just as good (I hope)!!

Take a look at todays photos in the Feb 2013 Album on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Enjoy!!
ski holidays
Just back from 4 days in the Paradiski area and conditions are awesome with some seasonaires saying it's the best they've ever seen.

Not the perfect end to the trip when my sleasy flight to LGW got diverted to STN due to pilot losing his bottle when trying to land - all very odd. Anyone else on that flight last night?
ski holidays
Blue sky and powder!! What more could we ask for!

Today we started from Les Arcs early and headed over to La Plagne hoping to get on the Bellecote, but we were out of luck, closed all day. Time to find something else to do.

Whoever thinks La Plagne has nothing to offer is very mistaken. We found untracked powder and soft snow all day.

Starting with a ride down from behind L' Arpette we rode through the powder to La Roche and then headed back up top and down the back of Les Verdons to the chair far below. Up top again and down by another route through the powder and some steeper drops to the Borseliers Chair. After a quick lunch, up to Roche de Mio and over the back for a long decent by one of the couloirs to the Bauches Chair. From the top of the Dos Rond down through the meadows and forest to the Pierres Blanches chair and one final run down to the Vanoise Express in the trees. Almost every route over in La Plagne had untracked powder and the pistes we crossed were all in great condition.

Back over in Les Arcs, a quick dash through the Peisey Vallandry forest to the Derby chair and from the ridge down the shoulder for a quick jump off the 'Big Drop' before heading to Arc 1800 by way of the forest and meadows which even at 5pm were still not completely tracked out. The pistes on the Les Arcs side were also in great condition after the fresh snow.

What a wonderful day, powder and blue sky although the cloud did come and go which caused spells with flat light at times. For those coming out this weekend, with more fresh snow forecast you are in for a great time.

Here are a couple of photos from today.

Not always scary, but still fun!

That is fun!

If you want to match up what I have written with photos of where we went today, take a look at the Feb 2013 Album on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Enjoy!

snow conditions
COLD! COLD! COLD!

Today was great powder, but oh so cold! I managed just a dozen photos before my hands could take no more, ' - 22 at 3000m'. If you have to cope with these temperatures to be a sports photographer I think I might give up this idea.

Despite the cold temperatures we still had a great day in the powder. Started off with a warm up off the Arpette ridge in Les Arcs down a short couloir and then up the top of the Arcabulle Chair and a quick ride down the middle ridge of the Arc 2000 bowl in more powder before heading over the back of the Col de la Chal for a fun ride in mostly untracked snow the whole way to Moulin village.

Chatted with some people on the bus and quickly changed or plans. The Bellecote was open!

We headed over to La Plagne and the Bellecote bowl. Managed to get there while the sun was still shinning and had a great descent down one of the couloirs of the North Face in mostly untracked powder from top to bottom, even in the meadow near the restaurant it was fresh snow. It was such fun we are going back again tomorrow if the weather is ok.

After getting back to Les Arcs, a quick ride over to the Derby chair through the forest and down the ridge to the 'big drop'. Found some local lads taking a bit of air. Very nice!! Wish I had 15 year old knees again.

We then continued down to Arc 1800 off piste the whole way and back up the Vagere Chair. Then to the top of the Clocheret Chair and over into the Comborciere valley for a run in surprisingly untracked powder in places. Finally it was time to head for home.

Back up top and down through Malgovert and the Mont Blanc forest and then the meadows to the mid station of the Funicular and home. Another good day at the office!!

The pistes are holding up well and although becoming hard packed in the busy places they are still in great condition. There is still plenty of powder, some untracked in the off piste areas and if you take a guide there are many great places to go for that special day out.

Despite the very cold temperatures, if you dress up well, those of you just arriving are in for a great holiday. You might need chains on the smaller roads if driving out, but the main roads are clear right now.

Check out the few photos I took today in the Feb 2013 album of my Les Arcs winter facebook page. Enjoy!

Here are two photos from today that I like!

One of the local lads taking a bit of air on the smaller of the two jumps back in Les Arcs! Nice!!

Entering the couloir on the North Face of the Bellecote. This one is a little steep!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 9-02-13 23:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
snowcrazy wrote:
COLD! COLD! COLD!

If you have to cope with these temperatures to be a sports photographer I think I might give up this idea.

Don't hold your hopes up too much anyway, it's one thing being there, being in charge, the man with the camera and taking a few snaps, being a sports photographer is something else completely. Believe me..
snow conditions
snowcrazy..just back from a fabulous 2 weeks at Les Arcs, although we didn't quite achieve the epic sort of skiing you describe, I thought I should just post to say how much we appreciate the reports and daily updates you put up here and on Facebook (finally a use for it Razz ). So hard to leave when there is still so much great snow.
ski holidays
Friday might have been the best day of my life, no joke... Had such a good ski, did some little off piste bits up by the Aiguille Rouge in amazing powder and actually felt like I was doing it properly.

Yesterday was a close runner up too, no queues and quiet slopes as it was changeover day. Very cold with hit and miss visibility but excellent snow. Ecuriels had been pisted so it was silky smooth top to bottom and we skiied that a whole load of times along with some of the bits to the sides through the trees.

Conditions at the moment are epic, and the French news was forecasting more snow this weekend while we were waiting for the Eurostar so next week should be just as good for anyone heading out today!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
crewlie, pleased to hear you had a good holiday and that you enjoy the posts I make. Hope to see you back here some time. Very Happy
ski holidays
Oh also there were 500 Belgian students in 1800 last week. Made it pretty lively.
ski holidays
bobmcstuff wrote:
Oh also there were 500 Belgian students in 1800 last week. Made it pretty lively.

Puzzled
snow report
Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
Another fun day comes to an end! As planned we headed over to the Bellecote bowl in La Plagne first thing this morning. The sun was out and the sky was blue, but it was freezing. By the time we reached the Glacier on the Bellecote it was -24 degrees and my hands and toes were very cold. No photos until much later in the day, I was not going to freeze again like yesterday!

After spending most of the morning and early afternoon in the bowl making various routes in fresh untracked powder using the Chalet de Bellecote chair and the Gondola, as the light was turning flat and the wind had started to blow stronger we headed back towards Les Arcs via the Friolin Bowl and the forest above Les Coches.

Despite the intense cold we had a great day and made loads of fresh tracks everywhere. Once over in Les Arcs we slowly made our way home using the Derby and Vagere Chairs.

Although most of the easily accessible off piste is well tracked in both areas, it is still soft and light. With the new snow forecast for the next few days the off piste will continue to be excellent. The pistes everywhere are quite hard packed in the busy areas coming into stations, but most other pistes are in good condition after the recent snow. There are more people about now, but so far it is still not to bad.

As I came home tonight there was light snow falling again higher up. Tomorrow promises to be another fun day although we might need to be in the trees for some of the time if the visibility is poor or there are high winds.

I only took a few photos again today. Take a look at the Feb 2013 Album in my Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Enjoy!

Here is a photo I like from today!

Nice route!
snow conditions
I have received email announcing flash sale on ski passes -

Enjoy an exceptional flash sale on ski passes, don't waste time!

From Monday February 11 at 7:00 am, in the limit of the available stock (or up to Friday February 15 at midnight), enjoy a discount up to 30% on your purchases of 6 & 7 days Les Arcs / Peisey-Vallandry and Paradiski ski passes, starting from March 16.

To access to the flash sale, click on the link below or copy it in your Internet browser:
http://lesarcs.paradiski.com or http://peisey-vallandry. paradiski.com

Flash sale opens at 7:00 am on Monday February 11. Attention, limited stock (1000 ski passes)!

For any question, feel free to contact us by phone at 04 79 04 25 03 or by email at support@nirvanalps.com (attention, if you reply to this automatic email you will not have an answer).

See you soon on the slopes!
Les Arcs / Peisey-Vallandry Ski Area
ski holidays
codger,
Thanks for the heads up. Saved over 300 euros on five lift passes this morning. Excellent. snowHead
latest report
Just wanted to add my thanks for the regular updates on this thread; I've been following with obsessive compulsive regularity for a few weeks now. Not long to go now!
snow report
Mark2010, pleased you like them.

Yesterday was cloudy and snowing with flat light most of the day, but the fresh snow in the forests around Les Arcs were good fun. We went to the top of the Grand Col and tied the off piste at the side, but although nice snow, gave up and went back to the piste as the visibility was just to difficult find a safe route.

The pistes back across Les Arcs to the Peisey forest were in good condition an...d once back in the trees the visibility was much better.

After a nice lunch in La Vache restaurant we made our way across to the Arc 1600 side off piste most of the way and found plenty of more fresh untracked snow. Before heading back to Arc 1950 and a drink in George's Wine Bar.

This morning it is still snowing in the valley and I have just heard they have about 10cm up top. Right now the wind is not too strong and it is around 'minus 6 degrees' at 1600m with flat light again. Looks's like another tree skiing day. If you are driving the roads down to the valley have snow on them right now and it is likely to be very icy.

Photos from yesterday and today will be posted when I get back later. Time to go.

Here are a couple of photos from yesterday. Did not take many due to the bad weather.

Nice turn!

You really need to be careful in poor light! Holes everywhere!
snow report
Today was another great POWDER day!!! Tuesday 12 Feb.

It was snowing when I woke in the morning and it was still snowing when I came down at 6pm in the evening. In between we went in the powder fields under the Arpette and Bois de l'ours Chairs for a warm up, including one of the steeper small couloirs, over in the National park and down through the forests of Malgovert and Mont Blanc.

What a great way to introduce another youngster into the fun of off piste riding!! and he did very well. Kept going from 9.30 to 5pm with only a short break for lunch and only a few falls. Well done!

Everywhere we went the snow was excellent. Light, fluffy and loads of it. Maybe about 20cm of fresh by the end of the day, hard to tell, but it was up above our knees in most places and sometimes higher. You hardly ever dropped through onto the older hard snow below the surface in the off piste and the pistes were all in great condition.

The visibility was coming and going all day and we managed to find untracked snow almost the whole time. Another fun day where we covered most of the ski domain from Arc 1600, 1800, 2000 Bowl and down to Villaroger. Take a look at the photos in the Feb 2013 Album in my Les Arcs Winter facebook page if you want to see what were doing today. Enjoy!

Here are the ones I liked best!

Not bad for someone that is only 13 years old!!

Deep powder everywhere! Nice turn!

Here is something a little more extreme!
ski holidays
Wednesday 13 Feb. Another great day comes to an end! Went up nice and early again today. They said it would be sunny from the beginning of the morning, but it was still snowing at the top of the Mont Blanc Chair at 9.30am so we headed over to La Plagne and the Bellecote bowl. Great move. By the time we arrived via the couloir off the Roche de Mio the sun was out and the clouds were below us.

We spent the rest of the morning and the early part of the afternoon playing in the bowl, making laps and putting down fresh tracks everywhere we went. Really fun and hardly anyone about.

Around mid afternoon we went over onto the Petit North Face for a ride down in more untracked powder all the way to the Bar at the bottom and a hot chocolate before heading for home, just making the last lift out of Arc 1800 at 5.15pm.

Quite a day. Really fun and great powder again. The pistes across the whole area of the Paradiski that we used were in great condition, but with the sun coming out, it did become quite busy at some lifts with '5 to 10 minute' queues in places. Considering the number of people already out this week the pistes are holding up very well and the off piste, although tracked in the easy to reach places, is still light and soft. As we found, if you are willing to make a bit of an effort you can still find plenty of untracked powder around. We even had a chance to see a close up repair of a lift whilst sitting on a chair. These guys deserve real RESPECT!

Take a look at the photos of today in the Feb 2013 Album on my Les Arcs Winter page. Enjoy!!

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy