Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2012 / 2013

Poster: A snowHead
After all the fun of the last week, it was decided to have an easier day and head over to the 'Omelette' restaurant above Mont Albert for lunch.

With the sun shinning and not much wind although still very cold (at least -15 most of the day), I set off to meet the others at the Vanoise Express (VE).

Having met up we headed over 'on piste' towards Plagne Bellecote, but just had to do one of the little gullies on the way down to the Blanches Chair. Then over the ridge and down towards the Verdon Sud chair off piste through the meadows in soft powder rejoining the piste near the lift.

From the top of the Verdon Sud chair, off piste once more down to Plagne Centre and up the Biolley Chair, then through the 'Etroits' piste nature area and finally over to the lunch stop for another excellent omelette.

The pistes we skied in the morning were soft lower down with a 2cm covering of fresh snow which made them quite pleasant. We even found fresh untracked powder near to the pistes at times. The piste nature area was also fun although the traverse under the cliff was a little narrow in places.

On the way home using mainly pistes we found you had to work hard to hold an edge and going down towards the VE at the end of the day was not much fun as it was mostly very hard packed or boiler plate and very slippy. Our detour up to the top of the Roche de Mio and down through the Tunnel to see the new light show inside was worth the effort (the kids will like this). If there is not some fresh snow soon, most pistes will become very hard packed during the coming days and the off piste is likely to transform into hard chalky snow on the steeper faces and cruddy in other areas. Please let it snow again soon!!

After another good week of skiing in varying conditions it was time to have a few final beers and head for home. Great skiing this week guys and for those that know him, 'P' is back skiing the off piste again after his recuperation following the little mishap last season and looking good. Nice to have you back!

If you are interested in looking at where we went today, go to the Jan 2013 Album Two on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Enjoy!

Here are the photos I like the best from today.

Powder still up to your knees in places.

Mr P. showing he can still do it. Good to have you back!!

A very nice mornings skiing!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Another great read from araird

http://grangedalice.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/funicular-fan.html
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Changeover days are always nice. Not so many people around so few queues and quiet pistes.

Today we toured around Les Arcs mainly 'on piste' in the Arc 2000 bowl and over in Arc 1600, 1800 and a little in Peisey Vallandry. The pistes were not busy in the morning and in good condition. The recent fresh snow has made them firm, but with a soft layer on top after the sun had a chance to take off the overnight frost. As it has remained cold today the off piste although well skied was still light and soft in places with firm chalky snow in other areas.

By mid-day some of the group had to go back to help with new arrivals while others continued for a little longer. By mid-afternoon the remainder headed for home and I went back up the Arpette chair.

As I had not taken any photos earlier during the day I went to the top of the Combe des Fond Blanc and had some nice views across to Arc 1950 and Arc 2000. Having taken a few photos I then headed down one of the couloirs where they had held the Red Bull Linecatcher competition and across the Arc 2000 bowl onto the Varet gondola. After one last ski down through the off piste area I arrived in Arc 1950 and a drink at George's Wine Bar in Arc 1950.

Tomorrow they have forecast worsening weather as the day progresses with snow later in the afternoon through into Monday. For those coming out or just arrived after the poor weather has passed, if the predicted snow does arrive you are in for some excellent snow on or off piste.

A few photos from today are in the Jan 2013 Album Two on my Les Arcs Winter page. Enjoy!

The photos I like best from today!

Looking down on Arc 2000 and Arc 1950 from the top of the ridge.

The entry to the couloir.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowcrazy, Stuning photo of 2000 and 1950 Cool
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
out there in a week - nowhere gets me so excited as paradiski Madeye-Smiley

thanks for the great reports - much appreciated
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thefatcontroller, I will try and send you the photo tomorrow, only just got home.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Only just got home so no photos tonight. It is snowing outside very lightly and it is cold again. Should be interesting in the morning.

Today turned out to be really fun. Thought we might be going over to the Bellecote, but ended up doing a number of couloirs in Les Arcs instead. Full details and photos tomorrow. Time for bed!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
looks rather nice out there today!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Two weeks to go for me - yippee!!!!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just got back from a week out in Les Arcs and the conditions were fab. A fresh bit of snow at the start of the week really helped and although some more snow would be welcome now, the skiing is still very good. Pistes have been well maintained throughout the resort and the cold weather is keeping the snow at higher altitudes fairly light.

Though I don't go far off piste like many of the powder hounds here, there's still fun to be had off of the groomed stuff... It's well tracked, but there are still some very nice off piste and between piste areas to play in. Anyone heading out soon should really enjoy it. Have fun! Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
red 27 wrote:
looks rather nice out there today!

It was very nice today. About 5cm of snow down here in Villaroger over night, cloud lifted as the morning progressed. Lots of untracked new snow on the unpisted pistes on this side of the domain and plenty similar in the main areas too, with much more new snow at higher altitudes - Genepi was great!

Tomorrow should be excellent too snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Time to catch up on the last two days.

Yesterday we went riding in some of the tougher off piste areas. It was a long day, but loads of fun. I even hiked a few ridges to reach the couloirs. We managed half a dozen different routes, some long others short. I shall not post loads of details as it was yesterday. Instead I have posted the photos I like the best. If you are interested in seeing where we went, take a look in the Jan 2013 Album Two under the 'Jan 27' for yesterdays pics. I think you will enjoy them!

Here are the ones from yesterday that I like the best.

Nice couloir!

!!!!!

Arc 2000

The waterfall! Where?

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 28-01-13 22:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Now to catch up on today. POWDER again!!

I am sorry for all those back home, but I just had to say that!

Last night as I was leaving Arc 1950 it had just started to snow lightly. By the time I woke this morning we had 5cm lower down and a good 15cm higher up on the mountain.

After a slightly later start due to some lifts not opening on time I met up with the others and we made a few runs under the Arpette Chair in great fresh powder. No need to go anywhere in the morning to have fun. The whole resort had powder 'on and off' piste. We then headed over to the Clocheret Chair and the off piste area beside the pistes on the left and right. More fun!!

Finally we headed down the valley beside the Comborciere piste in more good snow and up to Mellee's snack bar in Arc 1950 for lunch.

Time for something a little longer. By 2pm most of the main areas of the resort were skied out. There are a lot of people going off piste inside the resort boundary so we headed into the back country down the Col de la Chal. Untracked powder most of the way!

Having made our way back into the resort time for one last run, something special maybe. Two of us hiked up the Aiguille Grive and down through the powder onto the Vallandry side. Still plenty of room to make more fresh tracks.

Finally as the lifts were closing we headed directly back to Arc 1600 without using the lifts and then home.

The pistes everywhere today were in great condition after the fresh snow last night and the off piste was excellent. If the wind does not spoil the snow and it stays cold we are in for a few more very good days. Putting fresh tracks everywhere again! WOW!!

If you want to take a look at todays photos go to the Jan 2013 Album Two on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Enjoy!

Nice!

Time for some air!

Col de la Chal!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowcrazy, great stuff - I'm salivating Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
just 11 sleeps and a drive away now. Really struggling at work now - cant wait
ski holidays
Gutted - there last week and the week before and was ill for most of the time. The few days I did grab, all the best stuff had been tracked and I was weak as a kitten anyway. I am due out in April but am dubious I can get away from work. Sad Very PO'd . Always next year I suppose ......

You have to hike and ridge track from L'Arpette to get to that couloir, don't you? Or do you just track round and ski over the ridge to the left of Ours facing 1950/2000? Many a fine tree lined run off that ridge .....
ski holidays
RattytheSnowRat, depends how high up the ridge you want to get. We do it by traversing around and by hiking up. Both ways are good.

mikeh, if you fancy meeting up whilst you are out send me a PM. Where are you staying?

Now for today.

Powder days are still with us.

Although today was very mixed visibility, the snow had stayed in great condition and we had fresh untracked powder most of the day.

Started off in flat light heading over to the La Plagne side with a warm up run down towards the Crozats Chair, then up into the Bellecote bowl via the Roches face as usual arriving at the top of the Gondola just as they opened the Traverse chair to get across into the off piste area.

From then on until we returned to the Vanoise Express around 4pm we had fresh tracks almost everywhere although at times the light was very poor. We had planned to go onto the North Face, but with the poor light we kept on the Bowl side before heading for lunch and then into the trees on the way home.

Even in the forest the snow was in excellent condition and mostly untracked where we were. After a long and fun day we arrived back in Les Arcs and headed for home around 4.30pm. I decided to make a little detour going down to the mid station of the Funicular which proved worth the effort as the snow even lower down in the forest was still good. The pistes are holding up well everywhere and even late in the afternoon were firm and grippy, but not to icy although you do need good edges at times.

Tomorrow promises to be another fun day! If you want to see where we have been today, take a look at the photos I took in the Jan 2013 Album Two of my Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Enjoy!

I really like this view, even in poor light.

Untracked Powder from the top to the bottom of the run. WOW!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 29-01-13 21:34; edited 2 times in total
latest report
11 sleeps for us too - I have a countdown on my desk pretty sure I'm driving everyone else in the office mad.
latest report
snowcrazy - great idea, thanks, I'll PM contact details - we're staying in Manoir Savoie. I'm strictly a piste hound though, nowhere near up to skiing some of the stuff in your pictures.

migletski - I think my team have completely given up getting any sense out of me now
ski holidays
snowcrazy, Thanks, got the originals. Amazing photos.
ski holidays
Will be there late Saturday, getting the train down.

Now just to get this stupid project finished so I can get properly excited!
snow conditions
haha the people in my team are no longer talking to me!!! I've been giving them daily snow report updates and they are all sick of it now Very Happy
snow report
migletski, mikeh, bobmcstuff, firetrap, I hope you all have a good trip out and maybe we can meet up. Send me a PM those that have not done so already if you like.

Now for today!

What a different kind of day we had today.

Went up the top of Aiguille Rouge with the idea of doing one of the steeper couloirs first thing in the morning, but found that the wind was blowing strongly and there was plenty of wind slab about plus the rain last night up to 2000+ metres had made the snow very strange in places.

Went to have a look and we decided not to go any further. It is always better to walk away than take too great a risk.

Instead we headed over to the Grand Col and off the back into the National Park via the easier couloir and then an interesting ride down through very mixed snow conditions including powder, hard pack, breakable crust and crude plus poor visibility at times just to add to the mix. Just as the visibility improved we were able to spot the large avalanche that had come down yesterday afternoon from the ridge on skiers left. Having to cross the avalanche area to get to the path out was not much fun!

Despite the conditions we enjoyed the challenging ride down and headed back to Arc 2000 for lunch. After we finished eating we made another route which was also very mixed before finally going down through the forest back towards Arc 1600 and home.

The change in temperature has actually made the pistes soft and fun to ski although the off piste will become very cruddy if this weather continues very long. Later in the afternoon it was more like late March than the end of January. Tomorrow on the Bellecote should be very interesting.

If you are interested in seeing what it was like today, take a look at the photos in the Jan 2013 Album Two on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Enjoy!

Something for today!

Entering the National Park.

Powder turns again!

Now that was steep!!
ski holidays
I've just been looking on Snow-Forecast.com and whilst they're forecasting a good dump at the weekend, there also looks to be rain with the temps rising and falling quite noticeably. I know that we're supposed to read these forecasts with a pinch of salt, but what is this actually translating to on the ground ?
ski holidays
Sorry, forgot to add some photos from our holiday a few weeks back.

This is Bourg train station on the morning of Sunday 13th Janaury. Lovely to arrive to this. You know if Bourg is like this, 2000 metres up is going to be special. Note to British rail companies, all trains arrived and left on time.

The view from our apartment balcony in Arc2000

Last but not least. A distant view of the free riding competion held a few weeks back. You can see it is in the valley to the right of Bois. You can just about see the 2 starting points. The helicopter is to the left dropping people off but the filming by helipcopter later took place with the helicopters on the right hand side.
snow report
thefatcontroller, nice photos. I was standing up the top on the right of the Red BUll start arch when I took some of my photos that day. It was very cold!!

Something different again today.

Went over to the Bellecote via the Roches face which still had good snow and over the back down the Petit North Face route. Then back to Les Arcs and a little ski around to the bar in Arc 1800 for a drink before heading home.

An real mix of snow conditions. First, the pistes early on were in quite good condition considering the weather yesterday as we went from Les Arcs to the Roches de Mio and then over to the Bellecote. The entrance to the North Face, despite a few cms of new snow last night was rather rocky, but we found better snow until just before the second section around 2200m.

From then onwards it was breakable crust everywhere all the way to the forest track which was very busy and also icy.

After spending quite a bit of time waiting for an ESF snowbaord group in front of us to finish the track we arrived at the bottom for a late lunch.

Although a challenge, most people agreed it was worth the effort and now we look forward to the fresh snow which has been forecast over the next few days.

Photos of today in the Jan 2013 Album Two on my Les Arcs facebook page (They are in date order).

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter

Todays start of the Petit North Face of the Bellecote.

Even the easy way has some steep places!

The snow looks good, but it was breakable crust from here.
latest report
Yesterday was 'boiler plate' frozen pistes below 2000m pretty much everywhere we skied. Snow on the Grand Col was fantastic, the ski back down to here, Villaroger, was awful!

Now the good news - it is snowing down here this morning, lets hope it does not warm up too much during the day, which is the forecast I believe.
snow conditions
CP, a wild one is forecast - keep us posted please Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sitting in 2000. 5cm+ new on balcony more below. Went for walk 90 mins ago - blizzard-like. Lightned up a little now, but still coming down. Today's lesson postponed, so guess it isn't just me being a fair weather skier (though I probably am - at least like a little bit of sun to see where I'm going!) Thought they'd given up battle with road clearing for a while - but see digger at it again. Forecast shows a fair dump today & more tomorrow.
Plenty of snow - just need a break in weather & a little less wind to enjoy it.
ski holidays
Just got back after a 3 hour hot chocolate stop at Solaise snowHead this turned into a very nice lunch, they were pleased to see us as there were no punters over from Arc 2000.

Lots of lifts shut, we stayed on th Villaroger side and did about half a dozen runs before giving in about 11:30. Very heavy wet snow and the wind was getting up at the top of Violettes.

It is supposed to keep snowing overnight but has stopped here now.

Home tomorrow, it has been a great week with all kinds of snow conditions. Should be great next week as I believe lower temperatures are forecast.
snow conditions
CP, Thanks for the updates, good luck for the trip tomorrow - could be exciting Shocked
ski holidays
Still white stuff coming down in 2000 (17.30) - hasn't stopped all day, although varying in intensity. Gather some brave souls ventured out, so some activity, but I think most found refuge inside. Will see what appears in am Little Angel
Hopefully we can at least make it up the Arcabulle and from thence 'sally forth' & explore more.
snow conditions
Double post sorry.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 4-02-13 20:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Just got home, what a day!

Went up a little late as some lifts were delayed from opening. It was raining when I left the valley and it was still raining at Arc 1600. We headed up the Mont Blanc Chair and by half way up it was snowing.

From then on the morning was powder for the first half of every run and wet for the second in the forest areas where we could see a little. Having been down the bottom half of Malgovert forest and on both the left and right side of the Mont Blanc forest we headed over to the Arpette restaurant for lunch and to dry out.

We were going to head for home, but then the clouds cleared, the rain stopped and it was snowing lightly at around 1900m. Went across to the Derby and made a number of loops of this lift through the forest on both sides plus a little detour which meant I had to go round the ridge to find some ones dropped ski pole. Found it and he did reward me with a beer later.

Then after some very good snow higher up and plenty of wet heavy snow lower down in the trees we headed back towards Arc 1800. Just before reaching the bottom one more mishap! Someone ended up crossing a snow bridge just as it collapsed and head planted into the bank. Time to rescue their ski. Just as I was about to do so the whole thing collapsed and I ended in the ditch up to my chest. Interesting! At least it was dry and he was ok, just winded, he now owned me another beer!. As nobody was hurt, including me, it was very funny!! Having climbed out we headed down to the bar and then home.

The top lifts and the links were closed most of the day and the wind became so strong that the Mont Blanc chair was also closed in Arc 1600 by late morning. Despite the high winds, wet snow and rain below 2200m it turned into a good day with powder higher up in the sheltered areas and through the forests. If the snow predicted for tomorrow really arrives it should be an interesting next few days. The pistes higher up were powder today, but the lower runs into the stations were all wet, sticky and heavy. It really needs to get colder!

If you want to see the pictures from today take a look in the Feb 2013 Album on my Les Arcs Winter page tomorrow. Time for bed now and dreams of powder above my waist tomorrow!

For anyone driving out or driving home, right now the roads are still clear lower down, but very wet and covered with a little snow higher up. Tomorrow it might be a different situation. Check the morning update for more details.
ski holidays
Well i've just made it back home, i've had a amazing couple of weeks. Annoyingly when i moved over from La Plagne to the Les Arcs side the wifi was rubbish and i've not been able to post!

Interesting week at Les Arcs, conditions were different every day. Quite the learning curve although i really dont like the hard icy patchs, and the powdery moguls on Monday i think it was were fun for a couple of hours but then my legs got bored of the effort Laughing

Yesterday was a total wipe out for us, i got kitted up and then most of the lifts were shut and the only thing left open were the runs to the left of Accubulle, wasn't fun not being able to see anything so called it a day after about an hour. There was a good 9-10 inch's of new snow in arc 2000 when i left, but it looked a bit wet further day, not too supprisingly really as its been quite mild for most of the week.

I've got a few pictures i'll post them up tomorrow.
snow conditions
Powder in the trees, but poor visibility and getting colder with strong winds. Quiet on the mountain and many lifts closed today. The fresh snow in the valley did not arrive, but there was plenty up high together with strong winds (approx 30cm). It has started to get cold again and although the wind has badly effected the snow in exposed places, in the trees it is powder. The pistes higher up are in good condition after the fresh snow and even lower down where it was raining (below 2200m) they are ok now that it is colder.

Tomorrow when the sun comes out (hopefully) it should be a better day and I will get some photos if it is not to cold. No photos today, but check out my Les Arcs Winter facebook page for photos of the last few day. Enjoy!

http://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter
ski holidays
migletski, Hope you have a good week. Will miss you this year. We arrive a week later than you.
ski holidays
All this snow, could it be the end of Les Arcs?

see my blog, also talks about Drouzin, which is in the news....

http://grangedalice.blogspot.fr/
latest report
Powder Days again!

Today was a mix of blue sky and mist most of the time. I was lucky enough to have the chance to grab a few good pics when the sun was out as we did some fun runs off the Arpette Ridge on both sides before heading over to the Col de la Chal and untracked powder the whole way down in very poor light.

Then a quick lunch and across the Vanoise Express for a bit more fun in the powder above Les Coches in the meadows around the Bauches and Crozats Chairs. Finally a quick run down through the forest back to the VE and home via some steeper gaps in the trees above Arc 1600.

A really good day with a mix of easy and harder skiing in great powder. For those that know Mr P. Take a look at todays pics. He is back on form and ready for anything. Great news after his mishap last season. Good skiing today everyone!

Photos of today will have to wait until tomorrow as it is late and I am off to bed!! Another powder day tomorrow I think!!
latest report
MORE AMAZING SNOW IN LES ARCS!!! Powder days are here again!! Monday 4 Feb.

Although the light was coming and going all day, we were able to get some great powder. Having crossed over the Vanoise Express we made a route from the top of the Salla Chair down through the meadows and forest to the La Roche chair and then back up to Plagne centre for a picnic in the hall.

After lunch the sun came out for a while and we went fro the top of the Grande Rochette down to Champagny via the south facing slope. Had to take care here, but the snow was still good and the ride down was fun. Then up the Roche de Mio and down the centre ridge for a few more fresh powder lines before heading home through the hidden valley and then the off piste down to the bottom of the Bauches Chair.

Once back in Les Arcs a quick ski across the pistes and off piste areas to the trees above Arc 1600 before a final ride down in deep powder again to the meadows in Arc 1600 and home.

The fresh snow in the last few days has made all the pistes in great condition right now. Even the north facing well skied pistes have held up well to the extra traffic from the growing number of people around as the February holiday ski period gets started.

The off piste is still powder and although you must be careful to avoid the more unstable areas, if the fresh snow promised in the next few days does arrive, those coming out for the holidays are in for a great time.

Take a look at the photos of the last few days in the new Feb 2013 Album on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Enjoy!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.429402117136260.95575.195692797173861&type=3
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy