Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2012 / 2013

Poster: A snowHead
pam w, Thank you, been a long week on boards but I think we finally cracked them (along with nerve ends and bones) Laughing

Russeh, Mad Laughing

Met 2 fellow snowheads for a couple of drinks last night. Very pleasant.

Right last day, overnight train tonight to Paris tonight. Keeping an eye on conditions at home as they seem to be having a few cms of snow and the world has come to an end. Skis today, of to La Plagne to experience badly groomed pistes and slow lifts Laughing Sunny out there at the moment but looks bloody freezing.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In, finished till March. Today was very bloody cold as opposed to bloody freezzzzzing the last 2 days.

Straight out and over to La Plagne. It is a longish slow crawl from the Vanoise to Belle Plagne, had to stop for a coffee 1/2 way long Arpette as we were cold. Up to the top of Roche and did Les Sources. The icy wall of death was very icy Toofy Grin Skullie . Straight back up to Roche then to do Inversions and Crozats, which often isn't open. Very nice. Then did Pierre Blanches back to the Vanoise on our own. Joyful. It is very quiet.

Stopped for lunch in Peisey in the Solan, Had lunch and dinner there before but today was awful. It was chaotic and the waitresses were all very angry. Not worth the price. Been downgraded to a coffee only stop after todays preformance.

We were tired by now so made our way back to 2000. Packing now Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad . Train leaves 9pm. Been a great week. We progressed massively on our boards, the snow is amazing, it was very, very cold but personally I prefer cold to hot.

All going well back in March. Till then be safe, and enjoy the snow. Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thefatcontroller, Sadly, we've had 2 bad experiences at La Solan this year - very slow & chaotic service, & horrible soup Sad We will just go for a beer in the evening (maybe) & internet now. The Armoise, however is fantastic - leave skis up by Vanoise Express & walk down steps next to La Solan, & its at the bottom, on the road (next to our apartment Toofy Grin ). They do an express plat du jour for 10euros, which looks delicious. Glad you enjoyed the holiday Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thefatcontroller, how were the badly groomed pistes and slow lifts in La Plagne? hope you left them in good order i'm there on sunday Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Russeh, T'was a rumour spread by a grumpy old git who lives in Montalbert. The slopes were in brilliant condition and groomed like billiard tables.

genepi, Thanks, shall look up next time.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
good stuff, glad it was a good trip thefatcontroller, where you going in march?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thefatcontroller, twas a pleasure to meet you guys last night, safe journey home.
For anyone heading out conditions are great, fantastic skiing, crap hotel.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi we are traveling on Sunday we stay in 1950 pop into all the bars including George's we have been 4 times now but always après in 1950 what options are they in 2000 ,we have been to the bowling alley .cheers charlie
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am just about to post the photos from yesterday in the Jan 2013 Album Two over on the Les Arcs Winter page. Take a look in about an hour if you are interested.

Hope you all had a fun day today out in the snow wherever you are!!

charlie26, There are a few places up in Arc 2000. Crazy Fox is good for a beer and as is Whistlers and another couple of late bars. It is a bit cheaper than Arc 1950, but not really that much. There are also some good places to eat up there like the Savoy and Kilamanjiro (not sure that is how you spell it). Hope that helps. I will be around again next week so hope to see you in George's Wine Bar in Arc 1950 one day after skiing. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the reply we will be in George's most nights the skiing looks good hopping for some off piste any insider information on where to go would be appreciated cheers charlie
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thefatcontroller, Great reports as usual, glad the old slow lifts in flat La Plagne weren't too much hassle for you this year Very Happy Good luck with the trip home.....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Here are the photos I like the best from yesterday.

Not perhaps tthe best picture of the day, but I love the atmosphere this one creates at the start of the trip down into the valley far below.

Powder everywhere!!

Some of us dream of powder like this!

Now that is deep powder!

Hope you like these few photos. There is more snow on it's way so we will get to do this all again next week. Quite a winter this is turning out to be!

Charlie26, if you send me a PM on here or better still, over on my Les Arcs Winter page, we could maybe arrange to meet up for a beer and even a chance to do some riding in the white stuff whilst you are out next week.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is from last year, but same red suit... Very Happy Snowcrazy, take your camera off 'fuzzy' mode! wink

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds like a plan will contact you when arrive ,cheers
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone know anything about the two guys winched off the back of the AR yesterday?
latest report
Seen 2 guys getting winched off the rocks below AR when in Les Arcs 2 years ago, helicopter landed them on helipad next to piste in LA 2000 they seemed to think it was a joke high high fiving each other as they got off the chopper. Heard they were French nationals, I don't have anything against anyone going of piste but when they are putting other peoples lives at risk attempting to rescue them that's what bothers me, rant over. Looking forward to arring on Saturday.
ski holidays
its snowed here most of the afternoon at least it did in La Plagne, there was a bit of fog early and the light was flat. When i got here yesterday it was supprisingly warm 5+ degrees, its gone cold again now though. I'v enot checked out the forecast for tomorrow i'm hopeing for some blue skys
snow report
I am just back from a brilliant week in Club Med Les Arcs 2000. I cannot say that I could ask for better skiing conditions. This was my fourth skiing holiday and I believe I learned so much. I took a private two hour lesson on Saturday which ended with me tackling the Robert Blanc black run. I stood on the top and thought that there was no way I would do it but the snow was soft, deep and very forgiving. I got to the end bathed in sweat and buzzing like a fool.

My instructor for the week was Stephane Candela who is an ESF instructor. The unanimous opinion of our group was that he was one of the best teachers any of us have had, and some of our group had over thirty years of experience. He was much more than just a guide and was very inclusive with all of his instruction. He was friendly, interesting and polite. If anyone going to Les Arcs is planning to book a private lesson then I would recommend him without question.

Ok, now for some random Club Med Les Arcs advise for those going there. Bring a few 60w bulbs with you, the rooms are very dark. Also the Club Med WiFi in this resort is free. This is because it doesn't work at all. If you must have internet connection then I would advise you to purchase an EU roaming package from your provider.

snow conditions
palumbex,

Was Stephane originally based out of La Plagne? If so, he's the instructor I had a few years ago in the ClubMed Peissey-Vallandry. Absolutely ACE. Got me doing off piste - and I haven't done that before (or since)!

Skitrack
snow report
Just got back from a weekend in Verbier. They have good snow over there as well.

Driving up the valley tonight it did seem that quite a bit of snow has melted lower down. It will be interesting to see how much it has changed in the last few days.

I am sure I will hear about the guys taken off the AR tomorrow. willie5094, I agree with you, it really annoys me as well if people do not know where they are going and get stuck on the cliffs because they followed some tracks. I do not know if that is what happended this time, but I saw it happen at least twice last season in the Arc 2000 bowl. The pisteurs in Les Arcs do a great job and need a lot of respect for putting themselves on the line to help people.

I look forward to meeting up with some of those that have just arrived, see you on the hill tomorrow. I just heard there might be a bit of fresh powder in the morning. Very Happy
snow report
skitrack, I could not say if was the same guy or not. When I asked at the ESF to book with Stephane I was told that there was three Stephanes in Les Arcs ESF. His distinguishing feature is his ginger hair.

ski holidays
snowcrazy, Conditions were really good today and its snowing again tonight in LP, would assume it will be similar in LA so should be loads of powder for you tomorrow
ski holidays
Blog talking about Courbaton 1750 today. Did you know there was a Bourg St Maurice ski resort before Les Arcs?

http://grangedalice.blogspot.fr/

snow conditions
araird, Thanks, fasciniting stuff. Always wondered what that concrete lump was to the side of the funnicular in 1600. Make a great apres bar?
latest report
palumbex,

Defo different Stephane. I'd remember red hair Puzzled
snow report
araird, '

love the blog, read through all the postings. Great to hear the history of the place. Sometimes these things can get distorted with the telling, so it is fantastic to have an independent reference source. Looking forward to the promised writing about Robert Blanc.

Not sure about some of the apparent ever-so-gentle-dig-at-1950 sentiment tho! Laughing I wonder what are these "cold beds" of which you speak - having had 100% occupancy over Christmas and New Year, and all but there for the Feb holiday periods, it would be tricky to offer seasonniare accommodation.

However I do agree 100% with your sentiment that "something must be done". And not only on the rooms, but also public transport to / from. The restaurant / bar workers for example who have managed to secure rooms in 2000 must leave their posts by 11:00 to catch the last Cabriolet ( road and piste walking being prohibited). Anyone who is based down in BsM ( and I love the idea of using the old Barracks at least until they sort something else out to do with them) would have to catch the last Funi - and snowcrazy will tell you all about that...
snow report
Arctic Roll, Hiya, you were quiet last week? Were you frozen to death or to drunk to post? Amazing week wasn't it? What was Hemminways like?
snow report
I'm glad you like it. Did you read the that the Compagnie des Alpes (who effectively own the ADS and therefore Les Arcs!) have declared war on 'lits froids' (cold beds). They intend to buy up under-used appartements, do them up and rent or sell them. They are getting the support of a group of local banks to do this - their idea is that every 'lit froid' is a life pass not sold. See http://www.lesechos.fr/entreprises-secteurs/service-distribution/actu/0202460017283-la-compagnie-des-alpes-mise-sur-l-immobilier-522506.php (in french).

I was deliberately being provocative about the saisonniers plight, but I was really shocked by the council's attitude to the Foyers des Chardons at 1800 which would make perfect accommodations for them. it's even next door to the exisiting hostel La Nova, which is far from adequate. You are right about the public transport situation - if Bourg really wants to be a resort integrated with Les Arcs the funicular, or at least a bus service, should run regularly till midnight, at least. Since Damien Perry went the town versus mountain sentiments of the council seem to have hardened, so I doubt we can expect any change or improvements under Mde. Perretti....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thefatcontroller, yes sorry about that - planned to and indeed did leave on the Wednesday evening after some beautiful days, but with a tree root encounter which left me hobbling when not on the planks (bizarrely was able to ski with far less pain than walk. Thinks, must get back out there...)

Hemmingways... bit of a curate's egg actually.

2 steaks, 2 burgers. Burger were good with good helping of chips.

Steaks ordered 'a point', but were far from medium rare, and extremely dry. Disappointed that they would try to serve such rubbish.
So they guys sent them back - something I'm afraid I'm not really adept at - I would have eaten, left and then told everyone to avoid!
However, the second set of steaks arrived - juicy, succulent, beautifully cooked, full of apologies (and probably other things...) but a real pleasure so I was told. They did look good.
So, moral is: they can do it when push comes to shove, but may try it on. Which, I guess is symptomatic of Arc 1950 restaurants throughout. We really, really need to do something about it.

I've now stepped down from 1950 'mayoral' duties, concentrating on the Owners' Association. 3 year term is long enough (and also statutory decree). But spent quite a few hours this final week of office in committee meetings, AGMs, owner and commercant meets, financial meets, 'planning for 2014' meets...

I shall miss it, a little bit. But was better than spending €10.60 on a pint of Guinness in Belle Pintes, that's for sure.

araird no hadn't seen that about ADS. Interesting. When I met Mde Perretti last year for lunch, she seemed reasonably in favour of the mountain: but Damien appeared to be torn apart by tribal warfare. I guess she is a seasoned politician who plays the game better!
snow report
araird, Lovely post yet again. Courbaton has always fascinated me: Clearly quite a few people stay there but I have never met anyone. It is really busy in the summer with some youth camps etc and a couple of beautiful footpaths pass through it. It offers fantastic views across the Isere valley but I didn't know about the military bunkers aimed to shell the Petit st Bernard. There is, however a triangulation pillar just off the road to Arc 2000 (it marks the footpath to the rock climbing crag). I will go and search for the surge chamber.It would be great to watch it when they turn off the turbines.

I didn't know that the downhill course went to the north of Arc 1600. For some reason I always thought that there was a course down the Cachette piste that started at the clocheret chair. Next time I am in Les Arcs I will explore. Any chance of a mapor a google earth trace?

Do you think they could develop the ski area to the North of the malgovert piste to the Arc 200 road. Or would they never get permission to chop the trees down?

thefatcontroller, You can see the other telepherique station still standing in Bourg (or it was the last time I looked - it is further into town the the current funicular station), but that wouldn't make such a good site for an Apres ski bar. BTW the Avri and the Cairn have exactly the same view looking down on Bourg and this is where I have my post skiing Vin Chaud. And I have actually been up and down the telepherique.

araird, Keep up the good work
snow conditions
Arctic Roll, Thanks, back in March, might try. The night we planned to eat out I was knackered due to a terrible nights sleep the night before so had 2 pints, ordered a pizza and promptly fell asleep in front of TV!

johnE, As someone who is now a big fan of the train down to Les Arcs and am without a car on holiday, I do get the feeling a blind man designed the funnicular in relation to the train station and town Puzzled
snow conditions
Quote:

Did you read the that the Compagnie des Alpes (who effectively own the ADS and therefore Les Arcs!) have declared war on 'lits froids' (cold beds). They intend to buy up under-used appartements, do them up and rent or sell them.

Obviously CDA want to have more punters buying lift passes and to do that they need to have more accommodation and it needs to be of a good standard.

There was an extensive campaign started last year with a programme to renovate aging apartments and have them classified with a Les Arcs tourist accommodation scheme and as well as the national scheme. For example to reach certain standards the apartments had to be over a certain size for 4 people, have wifi, have modern furniture etc. It was a comprehensive set of requirement. They had presentations and fancy powerpoint presentations to convince the owners of the benefit of this. It looks very good, but I am not sure how well it is being taken up. You have to pay to have your apartment classified. I await the results for my apartment.

Certainly there are many apartments in need of renovation.

However there is a lot of accommodation never put onto the rental market or rented privately. How does CDA know what is used and when?
latest report
Arctic Roll, sorry I missed you last week, but with the Linecatcher event and other stuff plus the great snow, I just had know time to get to George's. Hope to catch up with you next time you are out. Rest your leg so that we can have a good ski.

araird, some very interesting details you are sharing. Brings back memories of when I was young. I used the old cable car, chairs and tows back in those day. Even have some of the old piste maps and other stuff in a box somewhere. Might try and dig them out. The place sure has changed. Makes me feel old!

CDA might want to develop Les Arcs empty beds, but if you talk to many people in Bourg about the 'ski resort', they will tell you that it is up in Les Arcs and Bourg is a market town, not a place for tourists. This still seems to be a common view held by some folk down in the valley. They live in Bourg, but work up the mountain with the tourists. As for the politics in Bourg. Think I shall keep what I think to myself.

Now for todays skiing. The powder was back again!

Although it's nice to visit other places, it is good to be back and what a nice way to be welcomed home today. 'POWDER DAYS!!' What more can we ask for.

It was another blue sky powder day. Started off a little cloudy, but the sun broke through and then it just kept on shinning!!

On our very first warm up we managed to find fresh untracked powder where normally it would all be tracked out. It is not very busy! That was the start and we did not look back. Found more good powder off the Arpette ridge in both directions and then headed up the Varet gondola and more untracked snow.

After an excellent start to the morning we headed into the Col de Chal by a different route and had more fresh powder most of the way down to the track in the forest although as we neared the forest the sun had done it's job and the fresh snow was starting to turn under it's glare.

Finally arrived back in Peisey and headed to 'La Vache' for a very nice lunch.

Then it was time for more untracked snow if we could still find some. Although within the resort area most places are now tracked, the snow quality was still excellent and we did manage to find a few untracked places hidden away. After a play in the soft snow amongst the trees it was time to head for home and a well earned drink.

Another fun day comes to an end and more powder awaits tomorrow. If you are thinking of coming out, hurry up and do so. The pistes are in great condition everywhere right now and the off piste is really light and fluffy.

If you are interested in seeing what we did today, take a look at the photos in the 'Jan 2013 Album Two' on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page, I think one or two of the pics today are the best yet this season, but then I guess I would. Enjoy!!

The photos I like from today!

Powder!!

Steep and Deep!
snow report
When will these powder days end. Not for a while yet I hope! Today was another powder day. This time on the Bellecote.

After spending yesterday in Les Arcs it was time for a change. We headed up early and went over to the Bellecote bowl via the Roche de Mio face and then did a couple of laps of the bowl in mixed conditions. Sometimes the snow was untracked powder, other times it was wind blown and a couple of times we dropped on a few rocks, ouch! But the funniest times were when 'other people' skied into a few holes or bumped over ridges which were hard to see in the flat light (it is always funny when it is not you doing this and nobody gets hurt, just have a laugh about it afterwards!).

Then the blue sky broke through and we could see the untracked powder lines from the ridge just waiting to be skied.

An hour or so later we reached the Bauches Chair having found plenty of places to make our own lines and stopped for a very late lunch before heading off the top of the Dos Rond ridge down into the waterfall gully and finally back to the Vanoise Express and onto the Altiport for a last drink and home.

With the cold temperatures right now the snow on and off piste is holding up well and there is still plenty of powder around. Tomorrow should be another good day.

If you would like to see the photos of today, take a look in the Jan 2013 Album Two on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Enjoy!

These are the photos I like best from today!

The Roche de Mio Face behind them.

Nice powder!

The final gully, watch out for the holes!!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 23-01-13 22:27; edited 2 times in total
latest report
snowcrazy i'm loving the reports the conditions over the last couple of weeks sound amazing!!! I'm coming over to plan peisey on the 2/2 with my wife and 4 friends, I would really appreciate some tips on some directions for some off piste action. i've already picked up a couple from you reports but the more the merrier. I've got everything crossed that you get another dump between now and when we arrive to keep it topped up!
ski holidays
Another Powder day!!

I know, you are all fed up with me telling you how good the 'Powder' is each day. So all I shall say about today is that we spent the whole time in the Bellecote Bowl and then down the North Face to get back to Les Arcs and yes, we had untracked powder almost the whole day. Even without hiking you can still find great snow in some out of the way places.

Take a look at the photos in the Jan 2013 Album Two on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page if you want to see where we went.

For those coming out, the pistes we crossed on the way to the Bellecote and on the way home afterwards were all in great condition and you can go almost anywhere as there is still loads of snow. You are going to have fun next week when you get here!

Enjoy!!

firetrap, if you fancy joining in the fun with us, send me a PM here or over on my facebook page.

Here are the photos I like the best from today!

No room for a mistake here!

Plenty of space for each of us to make our own lines.

More untracked snow on the North Face this time.
ski holidays
Just seen a snow report saying there will be snow on the 2/2 which is the day we get there!!! Woop Woop fingers crossed our first day is a powder day, that will be a first for me Madeye-Smiley

I'm going to be doing the snow dance all week!!!!
snow conditions
Well im done in La Plagne for now, moving over to Arc 2000 in the morning. Really looking forward to the Saturday skiing Very Happy
ski holidays
For those that following my boring life Crying or Very sad jut to let you know I did complain to Evolution2. They are incredibly apologetic about what happened and have offered a full refund and a days guiding as form of apology.

My worry is, does the guide for a complainant make sure you get hit by an avalanche? Laughing

Russeh, Saturday off season, they will be stopping you on the slopes asking you to use their lifts it will be so quiet, tumbleweed. Obviously now you can ski fast and get back up the slopes quicker on the fast Les Arcs lifts wink So jealous.
ski holidays
Off tomorrow to Le Pre, Villaroger for the week - should be good and if all goes to plan travelwise I will be doing some proper preparation for an early Sunday first up Replat by having a Mutzig or 2 in La Ferme tomorrow evening snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy