Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good quality, good value ski gloves

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am new to skiing and embark on my first skiing holiday in January.

I can borrow most of the kit I need, but I need some good quality, good value waterproof, warm gloves. What would be your suggestion or is there an impartial website which would point me in the right direction?

Thanks. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Davo40164,

Welcome,

I would say as a new skier, you may spend quite a lot of time getting up of the snow so get 2 pair if you can and rotate them daily after drying overnight.

They will sell decent gloves in the resort, and expect to pay £25 upwards for a pair. You can get them cheaper possibly and you can certainly pay much more butt hat sort of figure should get you ball-park.

Stick around because others will be along in a mo' and give you more specific pointers and ideas.!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Everybody has different opinions, but as JT says, your gloves are likely to get wet. I've had lots of pairs of gloves and I haven't found that cheap gloves work very well. Hands get sweaty, the glove gets sodden and most annoyingly, the inner pulls out when you take your hand out.

£25 should get you a good pair of Rossignol, Salomon, maybe North Face but cold hands aren't a great deal of fun. One of the best investments is a pair of silk inners, about £7 in Snow and Rock when I was in there last night. Keeps your hands warm but not too sweaty.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Davo40164, Welcome to snowHead I've got hot sweaty hands so I go for good reasonably priced windproof cycling gloves (3 pairs) and a pair of overmitts for when it gets very cold and or wet. Everyone has their own solution depending on experience but I'd always carry a spare pair of dry windproof gloves in your pack at all times just in case you lose or soak the pair you're using. January is a very cold month and as you're new to the sport you may well be getting very sweaty and then standing around while listening to your instructor.
NB . . . don't wear cotton on the hill, good lightweight wicking undies make a huge difference to making your experience a good one.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree that a couple of pairs is best.

C&A cheapo gloves would fit the bill. In the UK just look for a similar outlet. You don't need anything expensive while you are learning.

I would not worry about not wearing cotton either at this stage.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Davo40164,

Depends on where you live as to what are the cheap outlets Aldi have ski stuff every so often that is cheap. Decathlon are usually reasonable . Funnily enough if it is cold as it often is in january waterproof is not to important as the snow is frozen and too cold to melt decent insulation helps though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Davo40164, Welcome. Buy the best gloves that you can afford. Go on Ebay and buy some Keela thermals, on sale at the moment. Insulation is important and not feeling dry and warm could ruin your day.
Avoid C&A gloves, mostly they are not up scratch. Snow & Rock and Ellis Brigham, usually do own brand gloves which offer solid performance.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Davo40164, Good gloves are very important and having two pairs is a definate advantage. Pay good money for your gloves as you really do get what you pay for, beginners usually go for the cheaper option, only to replace them asap. Fortunately mine have all been good, and none have cost more than £35, which sounds really expensive but I've had mine for 4 years now and they're still going strong. Go for Gortex if you can.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Latchigo, I'd disagree, when we're learning we put (or we should) an awful lot of effort into the job and we'll be sweating like a garden sprinkler. Soggy undies and T-shirts don't enhance the experience. The usual suspects, Matelan Aldi etc. all sell adequate base layer clothing for pennies, it's worth it to wear it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Latchigo, I'd disagree, when we're learning we put (or we should) an awful lot of effort into the job and we'll be sweating like a garden sprinkler.

I totally agree, when I was learning I had my jacket open, all that continual stomping up and down the piste is hot and sweaty work to say the least.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IncogSkiSno,
Quote:

I totally agree, when I was learning I had my jacket open, all that continual stomping up and down the piste is hot and sweaty work to say the least.

Do you know, I think I missed out on this stage of the learning process. I have no recollection of any of this. Should I feel cheated Puzzled . Perhaps I could go on a Learn to Ski Package,in order to get the complete exp Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Davo40164, I would agree with Snowbunny and IncogSkiSno, January can be cold and it'll be miserable if you have cold hands. I would suggest you buy a reasonably good pair of gloves, and silk liners are a fairly cheep investment for those really cold days. If possible look for a pair that have detachable fleece liners. This would allow you to remove them and just wear the shells if you are hot, or keep them in if not. With silk liners as well you would then have a number of glove / liner combinations that should see you right through most conditions. You didn't say where you were skiing in January. presumably Europe, but if it's Canada you may want to consider mitts instead!

Enjoy your first skiing holiday, I'm sure you'll love it. snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Davo40164, To sum up... there seem to be two opinions here.

1) Buy two (or more) pairs of cheap (£20-25) ones, as they'll get wet.

2) Buy the best gloves you can afford.

I'd go for option 1) wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Latchigo, like everyone else I dissagree with you about wearing cotton in any form up a mountain. Weather & snow conditions change so easily up a mountain regardless of how well one skis, and therefore safety issues start from day one. Good insulation is imperitive for ensuring you remain a safe temperature on the mountain (i.e. not too hot, and most importantly not too cold). Cotton can't wick moisture efficently nor allow it to evapourate quickly. Soggy cotton is a sure way to invite overly-rapid cooling and increase the risk of hypothermia. Even as a beginner Davo40164 is likely to leave sight of his chalet, and being a beginner I would be MORE worried about him if he were up the moutain in cotton clothing.

There's nothing lost in buying a couple of pairs of good quality manmade fabric thermals (at least for the top). Helly for example (Blacks, S&R, etc stock it) do a perfectly good range about £25 per item in colours you'd wear off the slopes - you can continue wearing them at home in winter, so it's not like it's money down the drain if you don't continue skiing.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy