Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 2012/2013

Poster: A snowHead
A bit of positive coverage after telling the world that the season was over,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-22079124
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some amazing conditions at Glencoe still with the Rock Garden having some great snow on offer

http://youtube.com/v/Tqggyi789e0
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Things are looking pretty good at the moment, I'm starting to wonder about a *third* mayday weekender skiing in Scotland. Cairngorm is most likely venue, but what are the chances of the other centres remaining open? Might it be worth a roadtrip around Glencoe and Fort William, do you think?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
See Ski Club of GB is reporting:
Quote:
Scotland is in excellent shape at the moment, and four of the five ski areas reported fresh snowfall over Wednesday night, before skiing on Thursday, and more snow could fall this weekend.

It then helpfully adds:
Quote:
Strong winds are also forecast over the weekend, but don’t let this put you off the superb conditions to be enjoyed.
Who are these people? Are they having a laugh? I guess you've never actually skied in Scotland if that's your advice.... rolling eyes

Revised/corrected version:
Quote:
Strong winds are also forecast over the weekend which could severely disrupt - if not curtail - lift operations. In order to avoid a wasted journey, check the detailed forecast very carefully before you travel.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
Cairngorm is most likely venue, but what are the chances of the other centres remaining open? Might it be worth a roadtrip around Glencoe and Fort William, do you think?
Cairngorm gets easily the most skiers (and then there's the funicular sightseers) so will undoubtedly stay open until it's strips of snow in the Ptarmigan Bowl time. After completely bare slopes in the whole of March last year, April and May snowfall meant that Cairngorm stayed open until the 20-something of the month. So given current snow depths, a repeat is probably on the cards Smile .

Nevis and Glencoe both tend to close as skier numbers drop off, irrespective of snow - although one year in the 90s Glencoe advertised 'Summer skiing' and stayed open until late May (possibly Whit Bank Hol?) with massive snow depths on the upper mountain.

So, spell of tropical weather and/or monsoon rains notwithstanding, Cairngorm for May Day is more or less a banker - but you'll need to wait until nearer the time to see what's what at the other areas.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 20-04-13 11:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mountainaddict, Chatting to the guys at Glencoe this week I suggested that June skiing could be on the cards but they suggested May could be a possibility. Given the amount on snow on the lift tracks it's going to be interesting to see how it goes...

1873Chris, Yep, the Rock Garden was my run of choice on Monday \ Tuesday.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1873Chris, I think I spotted Mrs AAT and my self on the t-bar !
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nevis have put on their FB page it'll be weekends only after this Sunday. Not enough weekday numbers to make it worthwhile, snow still great cover on main runs. Been great skiing full length of the Goose and down to Quad on all visits this year.

AndAnotherThing.., I really like the rock garden, been one of my favourite runs this season.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
oldagedpredator, Saw in another thread on here that you had been to Glencoe about 3x more than anywhere else in Scotland this season. Good taste! Think I shared a t-bar with you last saturday - probably The Wall but I saw you taking photos up the Main Basin. I was entirely in black, including helmet, but green skis and red boots. Not very distinguishing - everyone wears black! Didn't realise it was you until you confirmed the colour of your jacket - and I only saw 1 SLR. Many thanks for all your photos this season - really enjoying them. So much snow at Glencoe especially in the ski tow gully - never seen it uphill from the wall or double tier up the tows - that tow track has THICK snow and is hopefully going to last well into next month.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was practicing for May on the White Lady today, hitting up the mountainous spring snow bumps, with rock slalom and 'heather' hopping....

.... on the Face at Heavenly! snowHead A 1600ft vertical bumps run to the California Lodge Base.

^Looking down the East Bowl option on the Face.

^Looking up the Face at Heavenly.

For the avoidance of any doubt if my holiday insurance company is watching, this is inbounds and OPEN! Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
See the BBC says that there could be skiing in June Very Happy !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-22084559
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Things taking a bit of a hammering the last couple of days with the win and rain, but snow also still falling. Lecht saying its the last few days of season, others still plenty left, certainly between the fences
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
^ Nevis now reporting this weekend could be it
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lecht doesnt really have the higher runs to fall back on, looks like it'll be next season for my first visit. There's huge depth in the main basin at Glencoe, I dont really get the thing about the poma up track being complete or not. It's about a five minute walk across the plateau if its not in. Probably a lot less distance than people would walk to a lift in some ski resorts. Definately less distance than the walk from some parts of the Glenshee car parks to the lifts. Should be intact for a while as there is plenty of snow on the track and plenty of large drifts to patch from.

mountainaddict, June skiing might be greedy but I want some. Halfway through my fifth month of skiing. Would be good the get the pass value down to £10 per day. Also be good to do 1st of May skiing two years in a row.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
oldagedpredator, yep, there've been plenty of occasions over the last 7 seasons even mid-winter when Glencoe had offered great skiing whilst the plateau was incomplete. We've certainly been spoilt recently though and the landrover and argo rides to the plateau chateau that the operator provides for the lazy ones haven't been needed at all.
snow report
Weather finally eased up and it all came together for a great Friday on CairnGorm, the Sun was blazing and the water below was looking very blue and this time it wasn't Tahoe!

^Looking up the White Lady.

^Ridercross course in the Ciste Bowl.

Full report and lots more pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=898
ski holidays
Quote:
Weather finally eased up and it all came together for a great Friday on CairnGorm
Indeed - although (Winterhighland) Loch Avon wasn't quite as blue as Loch Morlich! (See final pic below.)

We made a late dash up on Thurs night, arrived at 1am and camped overnight in 'Hotel Mondeo' in the Cas Car Park, with light snow falling on arrival. A very comfortable night on the good old camping mats - and an absolutely fantastic ski tour yesterday, with some fresh tracks Very Happy :

snow conditions
Just back from a day in glencoe.
Good coverage of creamy spring snow. Very pleasant.
snow report
Are there any decent bumps anywhere in Scotland at the moment??

Cheers,

greg
latest report
Fantastic Sunday at Glencoe Smile Sunshine and snow showers all day, continually topping up the freshies I skied in the Flypaper, Spring Run, Rannoch Glades, Main Basin and Etive Glades. Thanks out to the staff & ski patrol @ Glencoe Mountain for helping make today one of the best ski days of the season. Only about 30-40 people on the mountain though so Glencoe's likely to close for the season soon enough if the customers don't show up. Shame as there's loads and loads of snow up there and all runs are still complete.

kitenski, the only bumps at Glencoe today were alongside the main basin TBar. Fresh snow blowing in and simply not enough skiers to make bumps elsewhere.

Blowing snow on the upper mountain ...

The Mighty One ...

On the chair down, a reminder of the pot of gold I'd found today Cool ...
latest report
moffatross,
Quote:

Only about 30-40 people on the mountain though so Glencoe's likely to close for the season soon enough if the customers don't show up.

I wonder if it was the weather forecast which was not great, Saturday was superb as well and the hill was quite busy.
Lovely photos flypaper closed saturday due to avalanche risk though I saw a few folk on it.
latest report
^
Yep, the weather forecast and a certain Celtic football match which would have kept a lot of the Weegies at home probably reduced the numbers. Our Flypaper descent today was with ski patrol, and we skied it one at a time ... It was untracked, unchopped and in just about the best condition I could imagine it ever being in.
snow conditions
Good to see there's still some snow up there Ross!
latest report
Quote:

Lovely photos flypaper closed saturday due to avalanche risk though I saw a few folk on it.

it's almost always (75%) closed but regularly gets skiied by 'friends' of ski patrol, random visitors or anyone who deems it suitable Shock
snow report
^ Geeo - The flypaper at Glencoe is a tricky one for the ski patrol.

They would like it to be open as much as possible - but there are issues of liability & responsibility.
Clearly it not a normal "piste" and the rocks on the fall-line need to be well covered before they will consider officially opening it.
An uncontrolled fall at the top will result in a very long slide over the rocks and possible serious injury.

On Sunday the 15-20cm fresh snow meant that it was sensible to be skiing the flypaper with beacon + shovel + probe. It probably wouldn't avalanche (and it didn't this weekend) but there was a chance that it could have with snow drifting all day and warming temperatures in the afternoon. Personally I think the flypaper should perhaps be marked as an itinerary / off piste (dotted yellow) route - but that is another story!

If in doubt ask at the ski patrol hut, they are a good bunch.
ski holidays
BBC Countryfile talking of a cold spell on the way......

MWIS seems to concur

Very cold air will spread south on Friday, enveloping all mountain areas next weekend. Precipitation will turn to snow - mostly falling as showers - to low level, particularly across Scotland.
snow conditions
Quote:
BBC Countryfile talking of a cold spell on the way.....Precipitation will turn to snow - mostly falling as showers - to low level, particularly across Scotland
Off to Tignes (and possibly Val Thorens) for four days' skiing from Friday Smile - so glad to hear that May Day weekend is looking like a goer for Scotland at this stage Very Happy .
latest report
Fresh snow forecast tomorrow and Friday so looking very promising for the weekend, esp Saturday at this stage with a ridge of high pressure settling things down, just a few snow showers and good sunny spells with light winds expected Saturday. This was the pick of the day when I was last up CairnGorm on Sunday:

^Absolutely perfect granular spring snow on the West Wall, CairnGorm, Sunday 21st April.

^White Lady from the Sheiling Shred on the lower slopes on Sunday - features now moved to the top.

^Looking through the Ptarmigan Park on Sunday afternoon.

^Cas Gunbarrel on Tuesday afternoon (photo by H11lly). Still wide and flat and the Zig Zags are still fully complete and in good shape providing a green route from the top to mid-station.

Lots more Pix from Sun: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=899
...plus Tuesday (not as sunny!): http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,3581

Should be up tomorrow... will get some more photos. We're far from done yet, Glencoe will also be open this weekend. Nevis Range and Glenshee will review the possibility of weekend snowsports later tomorrow or early Friday. Stay tuned.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like Glenshee have decided to call it a day. Now getting to the mapping out the run to the end of the season - West this weekend most likely the Mighty One. Hopefully things will stay colder through to mid week to get a couple of days up at Cairngorm. Late April skiing two years on the trot Very Happy
latest report
I'm just trying to wangle a meeting in Glasgow on Monday, so I guess Cairngorm will be the only place open then, hopefully for some nice bumps on the lady!
snow report
A day of Sunshine and April (snow & hail) showers on CairnGorm Mountain on Thursday, should be more in the way of snowfall on Friday judging by the forecasts. Perhaps not quite the foot dump we got this Friday last year, but compared to starting from scratch early April last year, we have today probably a slightly deeper base on the White Lady and Cas Gunbarrel than this date in 2010!! So it's looking good for the weekend, esp Saturday with a ridge of high pressure nudging in. Sunday looks like it might not be too nice first thing, but improving through the morning, which is what happened last Sunday and it turned out a really nice day in the end.

Some of H11lly's photos:

^Ptarmigan Bowl and Terrain Park from the Ptarmigan Tow.

^Skier in Aladdin's Coulior, Coire an t-Sneachda, CairnGorm Mountain, seen from near the Summit - top of Coronation Wall.

^Spring snow bumps forming on the wide and deep White Lady.

The rest: http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,3582

My photos in Pix from the Slopes and full report: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=900

As you can see still lots of options for all ability levels, from first timers up to steep off-piste couliors beyond the snowsports area. Also still extensive touring options on the Plateau. Can still ski the full way to the Daylodge with a bit of creative route finding via the Fiacaill Traverse, Fiacaill Crossover, and the Ridge Poma line - but please don't do this when the Fiacaill Ridge Poma is open! Alternatively you can still ski most of the way down the Carpark Run if you really don't want to take the Funicular down from the middle, but you need to unclip at a couple of points on Burnside, Sheiling area still fine thanks to earlier snow making.

As the Funicular is mid-stopping there is great top to Sheiling riding with 1300ft of vertical all on well pisted green trails that are still all in good shape, so excellent for early intermediates who are advancing from the Top Basin greens. Certainly the 'Gorm is the best option for less experienced riders, mixed ability groups and any boarders who aren't yet that comfortable with surface lifts as you have the train to fall back on for uplift and still have all Cas mid mountain runs to play on.

However it's not all about the 'Gorm this weekend, Glencoe is reopening on Saturday and the upper mountain is still loaded, most mid mountain runs are complete and the steeper lines, Thrombosis, Canyon and the Wall are in good shape - all routes on Mugs Alley passable to the Cliffhanger Chair too. Glencoe's best for slightly more confident intermediates up and the Plateau Poma will be running for access, indeed all main tows scheduled for the weekend including the Rannoch Button. Still some lines below the Cliffhanger Chair on the Cliffy crag that go, indication of the amount of snow there's been this winter on Meall a' Bhuridih.
ski holidays
From what I can tell they are going for sunshine/showers on Tuesday....do folk concur??? I can wangle a meeting in Glasgow Monday then nip on up for a slide Tuesday
snow report
Another magic day at Glencoe, 33'rd ski day of my 2012/2013 season ... is it me or is this neverending winter just getting better and better ? Even got sunburned which has to be a first for me at the Mighty One Toofy Grin

Fresh snow yesterday and overnight meant that Radio, Baillies, Flypaper, Spring, Rannoch, Basin, Etive, Thrombosis and Canyon were all in the finest condition. Loads of grinning people today Very Happy

Great to ski with shoogly, oldagepredator, Eagles and others. Smile And so many ways of sliding seen including snowbikes, boards, Alpine skis and telemarkers a la HaggisTrap.

Thanks again to all the staff at Glencoe. Brilliant day. Smile

Photos here ... http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,3584

Eagles in the lower Fly ...

Shoogly in the Springy ...

oldagepredator exiting Baillies ...
latest report
Stunning Shocked
latest report
Was a great day, some pics (took much fewer than usual):

NA2_0285 by onemanmows, on Flickr

NA2_0281 by onemanmows, on Flickr

NA2_0266b by onemanmows, on Flickr

NA2_0274 by onemanmows, on Flickr

NA2_0265 by onemanmows, on Flickr

The rest:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/onemanmows/sets/72157633365677868/show/

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 29-04-13 13:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
CairnGorm today...

^Heading for the White Lady via the M1 SideTrack.

Meanwhile if parks are your thing, there's about 20 features in total to hit in the Ptarmigan Park:

^Looking over the Ptarmigan Bowl and Terrain Park from the Ptarmigan Ridge.

Full Report & Pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=902

^H11lly on Coronation Wall - more from Helen: http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,3586

If you want even more try Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Winterhighland
latest report
looks like I am on for Tuesday, arrive Monday night. What's the best local pub for a pint and bite to eat when I arrive Monday evening??

cheers,

Greg
snow report
Just one more to add to ross's great photos from a brilliant day on Saturday at Glencoe...

moffatross,

Ross at the bottom of flypaper

Baillies gully

getting a bit thin lower down, but still lots of great cover further up.

Saturday was a great day on the hill Very Happy

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 29-04-13 13:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
More snow overnight and this morning, further snow showers likely through the rest of the day:

snow report
kitenski, in Aviemore? The Skiing Doo (or the Doo Below). Their burgers are great and they have Cairngorm Brewery Ales on tap.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy