Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 2012/2013

Poster: A snowHead
Reports of an avalanche with one missing at Glencoe this afternoon... anyone got any up to date news?

Sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Had the last two days out at Cairngorm. Weather fantastic, got sunburned today! Ciste side really good, open down to lower carpark by two different routes. Today rented ski mountaineering kit from Mountain Spirit, Outside the ski area cover generally good, but wind scoured and icy in places.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Drove past cairngorm this afternoon en-route to glasgow airport. It's strange how such elation can be sucked right outta ya, I had my whole spiel ready written. About how stunning the hills looked, how great the pics of GLen Coe were. How I wished I had replied to moody earlier, and hoped he made the top carpark..... Then it just all pales.....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mosha Marc, if you can get a lap of spring run and flypaper, maybe scout them out first before taking your lad down, not sure how good he is!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, good call. Flypaper was shut due to ice. But we ended up playing on spring run and the bits between there and the double drag lifts. My lad loved it.

We even tried to ski down to the car park, which was a bit of an adventure.

We both liked Coe a whole lot more than Nevis. We're now thinking about nipping to Cairngorm tomorrow for the easter hat trick.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mosha Marc, glad to hear it, did you ski Nevis yesterday?? Nevis best if the back corries are open but they were sheet ice recently I think???

If your lad liked spring run do laps of no.1 and no.2 gully at cairngorm, check with patrol what condition they are in though....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I prefer Glencoe to Nevis too. In fact I think GLencoe is my favourite from the scottish ski areas, and spring run is a very enjoyable rub. If you can make it, cairngorm is worth trying - if you do go, make sure to visit the Inshriach Nursery and Tea Room for cakes on the way home Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For anyone visiting Cairngorm and doesn't already know Inshriach Nursery opened a shop called the Potting Shed in Kingussie so if you don't want to go of the beaten track it'sworth a visit.
http://www.inshriachnursery.co.uk/the-potting-shed-in-kingussie
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^ I can confirm same great cakes, outlook not quite as pleasant as the squirrels and birds of Inschriach. Bring cash as they don't do cards, or didn't last time I were in at least. 2 great spots. Filling cakes, perfect for a pre-après detour (I've talks more about eateries/hostelries than I have skiing on this thread rolling eyes )
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Finally in Aviemore after a couple of days with the rellies in Inverness, up at 8 to get out to the slopes!

If rest of fam are coming up for some tobogganing etc, how do they get from the overflow carpark to the top car park? Or me for that matter? Also is there a non-ski lift pass to access the mountain?

Live from: Scandinavian Village, Aviemore
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Buses from bottom car park, non-skiing lift passes available but no sledges allowed up on the train. Ample room around base station for sledging but care needed. If family ain't going up till later and there's no traffic control halfway up then they should head to the top, they may get lucky with a space
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
barry, brilliant thanks! Smile

Rather excited here, conditions still look fab and looks like another bluebird day!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone looking for a sledging area, there's a really good slope just beside the Ciste Carpark at present with a runout onto a slight upslope, it's more out of the way and much wider than anything for sledging around the Base Station in Coire Cas:

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Winterhighland, that looks perfect!!!!! Cool
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone going to Glenshee tomorrow (Tuesday)? Mr Mogulski and I are heading up.
snow report
Brilliant day on the Gorm today, stunning blue skies all day! Other than a couple of runs with a few ice patches the snow was fab! Wind up top was a bit chilly, but thoroughly loved the place! Cool

Photos to follow when I get home tomorrow!
ski holidays
MoodyFFS, not bad at all on a day like today, eh? By far my favourite time of year when we start to get settled weather, the bright nights are in, can dodge out of work early on a nice day, grab the tows up and strike out for a little tour somewhere, skiing back to car by dusk/dark - awesome! Still plenty of season to go!
ski holidays
barry, agreed even without much new snow I suspect what is there will last most if not all of April!
latest report
Ps fave section was coming down the Aonoch Bowl, down to the West Wall poma Cool
latest report
Not enough attention given to the avalanche victim at Glencoe on saturday. Very sad news indeed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-21987245

Stay safe
snow report
Fergus, don't know that there wasn't enough attention - attention on a forum generally means at least some judgement which is pretty unhelpful at times like this. That said there has been a couple of threads already. Very sad news in what has been a deadly season
snow conditions
A long weekend, memorable for both great skiing conditions and the grim news from Glencoe.

Moffat Hills Saturday, a solo ski tour, out and back from the point at which the road was blocked by snow over to Lochcraig Head above loch Skene with a few ascents and descents along the Upper Talla Burn.

http://www.winterhighland.info/touring/index.php?50,3497

Upper Talla Glen ...

Talla Craigs ...

Nickies Knowe ...

Frozen Loch Skene from Lochcraig Head ...

Glenshee on Sunday. Cloudy conditions today but nice snow to enjoy with one of my boys ...

Under Glas Maol ...

Coire Fionn ...

Ski to car ...

Sun shining again on the Lecht ski centre on the way through to Aviemore ...

Cairngorm Monday, perfect conditions with my younger lad again. Half the time you couldn't believe it was a holiday Monday, people were so spread out.

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,3496

Early M1 lift ride ...

High above the Ciste Gully ...

We had Coire Laogh Mor to ourselves each time we skied through ...

And the gully wasn't exactly heaving either ...
snow report
moffatross, sorry I missed you yesterday. It was so windy I never heard my phone go off once!! We headed off about 3.30 as well which wouldn't have helped.

It was a great way to finish of the weekend though. West Gully and Gullies 1 and 2 were fun, and these together with the White Lady and M1 were the highlights of the day.

I'm impressed with my lad, he hadn't skiied for a couple of years until a school trip in Feb this year, but I thought he looked pretty good. snowHead
snow report
maffatross, you were up early on sunday! my son and i were in the row behind. the pistes from sunnyside to glas maol were in fabulous condition, especially the east facing slopes.
snow report
Fantastic day at Glencoe today,amazing.
snow conditions
Few pics from Monday at Cairngorm:

IMG_2227

IMG_2261

IMG_2231

IMG_2220

IMG_2203
latest report
I'm heading up to Cairngorm on Friday. Is anyone else planning to be about?
latest report
Glenshee today little bit of cloud today and a little cooler but still fantasic conditions.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What's the view on what the weather is likely to be Tuesday\Wednesday next week ? I'm hoping to get some skiing in Glencoe and\or Nevis but it's not looking compelling to me at the moment.
latest report
Anyone skiing anywhere this weekend? I'm seriously considering a trip up to either cairngorm, glenshee or even glencoe for Saturday and sunday.
ski holidays
I'm tempted to go up to Glenshee tomorrow for the day to meet up with a few mates who are going up boarding.

I know its last minute (only just found out) but I'll be looking after my little lad and was wondering if they have any classes for 5 (almost 6) year olds with no real experience apart from a couple of lessons at Xscape months ago. He's keen to have a go.

I'm not that bothered about getting a lot of skiing in (just back from Alta Badia) but would like a couple of hours or so if its possible.

Help appreciated

Ta
snow report
AndAnotherThing.., I'd go with Glencoe rather than Nevis at the moment if I were you.
latest report
Mosha Marc, cool. Was planning to stay in Fort William so an easy job. Just depends on how the weather looks...
latest report
The breakdown to more unsettled and potentially quite stormy weather at the start of next week which was progged in the models has been getting pushed back a bit. Detail and timing still wobbling about, but fairly consistent on SE winds Tues and prob Wed. Glencoe fairs much better than Nevis Range with such a direction, indeed there's been a few days where Glencoe's been able to fully open where everywhere else was stormbound in SE gales. So wouldn't write off early mid next week yet, but I wouldn't bet on it being OK yet either! One to keep an eye on.

If you can get out and play over the next few days while the weather and wind are still behaving, then do it! Don't think twice, get up and take advantage of what's on offer while the snow and weather are in alignment!
snow conditions
Am hoping to break a work trip with a visit to Cairngorm on Tuesday.

Probably wont have my snowboard with me, just wondering what the hire situation is? Is it likely to be so busy that the hire kit will be gone by 9:30 am?

Cheers
Andy
snow report
Winterhighland, Cheers. I think the plan is to head up a day early and ski Monday & Tuesday. The forecast appeared to be getting more promising so fingers crossed.
snow report
Sorted then. If anyone is about Glencoe (or maybe Nevis) on Monday and Tuesday please say hello. Orange jacket, Green bobble hat, Karma's on old touring bindings, plus Mrs AAT in green jacket.
snow report
Clocked up my 21st day at Glencoe this season, first visit was 6th of December last year. One of the best days Scottish skiing I've had, and I said that about Thursday at Glenshee. Maybe British Summer Time but it's really Scottish Skiing Time, get up now it's a treat.

Good cover over the whole mountain - big wide runs on the plateau for the newbies. Mugs old and new are wide. Spring run is big on moguls. Main basin just merges into Happy Valley. Huge cover and great fun.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/onemanmows/sets/72157633182692680/show/

NA2_0331 by onemanmows, on Flickr

NA2_0281 by onemanmows, on Flickr

NA2_0305 by onemanmows, on Flickr
ski holidays
oldagedpredator, can't agree more we were supposed to be going home tomorrow but one more day won't hurt.
latest report
2 pleasant days spent at Glencoe. Not quite the spring skiing I had in mind but pretty good. Skiing Glencoe is always a pleasure.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy