Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 12/13 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
nozawaonsen wrote:

Beyond that there's a bit of a split in the operational runs with GFS wanting to take the second half of the month warmer than average, whilst ECM heads cooler than average.

What's the betting its going to be ......... average then?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andyrew, well if the way to calculate the most likely outcome was to to average out the ECM op run and the GFS op run then you might be right. It isn't mind you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nozawaonsen wrote:
andyrew, well if the way to calculate the most likely outcome was to to average out the ECM op run and the GFS op run then you might be right. It isn't mind you.

So is there any guage as to which one is more likely to win over. Where are the two forecasts generated from? I'm cheering for ECM!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nozawaonsen wrote:

Looks like more snow, overnight in the Pyrenees and again on Tuesday night into Wednesday. Currently looks like a calmer period to follow.

I think that the locals are all praying for a calmer period with the start of Les Vacances pretty soon. Just crazy snow depths at all resorts, incredible but dangerous off-piste.

More snow on the ground this morning, pouring it down now and even heavier snow forecast for later this afternoon and on into the night.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dive dive dive. Go for it GFS.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow forecast for south and east of Austria in next couple days, http://www.wetter.at/wetter/news/Schneewarnung-im-Osten-und-Sueden/94525794

looks like schladming on the edge of systems moving from the south and then east, so not too much forecast for here but we'll see.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RetroBod, ECM is a cross European model. The super computer is based in Reading in the UK and is one of the top 50 super computers in the world. GFS is a US based model. ECM is generally considered the better model (though that certainly doesn't mean it is always right and GFS wrong). GFS makes much more of it's data freely available hence it gets used much more.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nozawaonsen, thanks I remain in awe of your ability to interpret the wiggles. I just like it cool when skiing. Not necessarily Baltic but mid-afternoon slush is not my thing, so to see the GFS tracking slightly cooler in line with the ECM I got a bit excitable.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nozawaonsen, thanks I remain in awe of your ability to interpret the wiggles. I just like it cool when skiing. Not necessarily Baltic but mid-afternoon slush is not my thing, so to see the GFS tracking slightly cooler in line with the ECM I got a bit excitable.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks like more snow at the end of the week to low altitudes in the northern Alps. Not huge, but should freshen things up ahead of the weekend.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Perfecto snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nozawaonsen, we have had 24 hours non-stop down here in Munich, should be epic by the time I get home to my village in the mountains. No sign of it stopping yet either according to the forecasts on TV this morning! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Samerberg Sue, don't know which village you mean but ain't been snowing much around here.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
waynos, where I live, not where I visit! wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well worth a read.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/01/31/f-backcountry-skiing.html
snow report
Has anybody got any forecasts for next week in the French Alps please?
latest report
Jerby, looks pleasant, little cooler than average perhaps, not especially snowy and relatively sunny.
snow report
Whats Andorra looking like next week? Counting down to going - only 2 1/2 weeks
Very Happy
latest report
Presumably it's too early to call for PdS, 9-16 March?

I am reading all of this stuff about how great the snow is and starting to worry that having booked a little later this year for a change, I will miss all of the good stuff Sad
ski holidays
Garethb, got to PYRENEES SNOW REPORT 2012/13

Should put a smile on your face.
snow report
Quote:

I am reading all of this stuff about how great the snow is and starting to worry that having booked a little later this year for a change, I will miss all of the good stuff

some seasons are pretty good all the way through, some pretty bad. Or good first half, poor second half or vice versa. Lap of the weather gods. As I understand it, having a good January and early February doesn't make it any less (or more) likely to have a good mid-March. So don't torture yourself on the basis that there was just one boat this year, and you missed it. wink
snow report
bruisedskier wrote:
Garethb, got to PYRENEES SNOW REPORT 2012/13

Should put a smile on your face.

I have had a good look at it, I am already itching to be out there - they have pretty much double the snow depth compared to last year. Shocked Just interested if the temps will stay reasonably cold and hoping snow gets slightly topped up to make it still perfect when we go! Even been getting myself fit before I go so I can keep up with my son!
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I am reading all of this stuff about how great the snow is and starting to worry that having booked a little later this year for a change, I will miss all of the good stuff

some seasons are pretty good all the way through, some pretty bad. Or good first half, poor second half or vice versa. Lap of the weather gods. As I understand it, having a good January and early February doesn't make it any less (or more) likely to have a good mid-March. So don't torture yourself on the basis that there was just one boat this year, and you missed it. wink

Thanks. I do this every year and stress right out!
latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:
Well worth a read.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/01/31/f-backcountry-skiing.html

An interesting read but the vital info missing is with the increase in backcountry riders has there been an increase in accidents? I'm sure I've read in Europe that the number of avalanche fatalities has remained quite constant but the number of off piste riders had been increasing, Maybe someone can point to the stats I'm sure I've seen before.
ski holidays
SLF on tomorrow's snow.

"By Friday evening:
northern flank of the Alps, Lower Valais, northern Grisons: 5 to 15 cm
further to the south, less; on the southern flank of the Alps it will be dry"

Looking into FI GFS is keen to pull in a cold easterly. Possibly accompanied by snow in the Pyrenees, though temperatures would be a little milder being further west.

ski holidays
Thanks for all the updates, this is really keeping me going on the lead up to my second week. Hopefully be as good as it was a month ago!

http://youtube.com/v/Me_Tk4Y5BSA
latest report
nwarnett, Cool Vid Very Happy
latest report
nwarnett, excellent video Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any idea if the other models are supporting the mild spell that GFS seems to be predicting towards the end of the month?
ski holidays
pmercer, ECM only goes out to +240 and UKMO to +144.
latest report
GFS has been sticking to it's guns for a milder spell to kick spring off (good establish support too).

Generally cooler than average before then and possibly some snow around 23 February (in the Pyrenees and southern Alps).
ski holidays
A colder than average week coming up.

http://www.wxmaps.org/pix/temp4.html

And drier than average on the northernand western side of the Alps.

http://www.wxmaps.org/pix/prec4.html
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
GFS has been sticking to it's guns for a milder spell to kick spring off (good establish support too).

Generally cooler than average before then and possibly some snow around 23 February (in the Pyrenees and southern Alps).

Does the milder spell also include the pyrenees especially Andorra? Going 3rd March (hoping it doesnt get to slushy in the afternoons lol)
snow conditions
Garethb, yes, indeed more so in the Pyrenees as warm air is pulled up from North Africa. But it's a long way out and I would have no confidence in it's extent or duration. In any case it will only be early March so not that warm in any case.
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
Garethb, yes, indeed more so in the Pyrenees as warm air is pulled up from North Africa. But it's a long way out and I would have no confidence in it's extent or duration. In any case it will only be early March so not that warm in any case.

Thanks Very Happy
latest report
nozawaonsen,
Any pointers as to what the first half of march may bring ( Saalbach specifically Very Happy )
Thanks in advance
Mitch
latest report
Haha @ Mitch... yeah me too for the first week of March, PdS Little Angel
latest report
A fair amount of dry, cold and sunny conditions to come over the next few days, especially in the western Alps.

In Austria there could be fresh snow overnight tomorrow and into Wednesday (10-15cm).

Here it is on WRF

0000z Wednesday http://www.meteocenter.eu/index.php?id=regions&region=CE&section=precip&forecast=Snow&time=66#model

Colder by the end of the week, temperatures down to -25C in places overnight.

A bit of a change as we end February and start March with at least for a time the Atlantic taking charge and raising the possibility of milder and more unsettled conditions.

Still plenty to get up to in the snow...

snow report
Very similar pattern this morning with snow into western Austria overnight.

http://www.meteocenter.eu/index.php?id=regions&region=CE&section=precip&forecast=Snow&time=42#model

There's still a signal for warmer weather at the start of the month. ECM has high pressure targeting the UK. Though GFS has low pressure pushing across in far FI.

snow report
ECM 00z op run isn't buying a milder start to March at present. GFS op sticking to it's gins, though a number of the runs (including the control) actually go very cold. So whilst the trend ober recent runs is for a spell of milder weather at the start of March there's a lot of uncertainty.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy