Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 12/13 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
And as if by magic it disappeared. That's FI for you, but certainly a feature worth keeping an eye on.

Here's some thoughts on analogies for weak El Niños and Canada. Based on some of the current output I'm not even sure it will make it to full El Niño.

Typical weak El Niño impacts for winter

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 27-09-12 23:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
awesome. my offical start of winter is when i start reading this thread
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Getting washed away in the North East for the third time this year. A wet year in the UK
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Niño 3.4 SST index on BOM has now dropped to just +0.5 so the EL Niño really struggling and this stage and looking like sliding back to neutral.

Meanwhile out west...

Real Snow

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 27-09-12 23:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Woke up to snow on the hills again this morning. There's a sprinkling down to what looks like about 1000m rather amazingly - just a few freckles of it, and on the highest peak visible from my house (La Tournette) there's a ton.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mr Piehole wrote:
Woke up to snow on the hills again this morning. There's a sprinkling down to what looks like about 1000m rather amazingly - just a few freckles of it, and on the highest peak visible from my house (La Tournette) there's a ton.

Should be working east across Alps during today bringing light snow at altitude as it goes.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Worth reading for the comparison of the LRF and the reality which really just goes to show the difficulty of making an accurate long range forecast.

Farmers’ Almanacs predict cold winter for East, warm weather in the West

A farmer in the snow [from The Guardian]

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All well and good having the ensembles on the first page, but what about the fifth page?

Here are some ensembles.

Les Deux Alpes.

Chamonix.

The Arlberg.

Hintertux.

Bad Gastein.

Sestriere.

Folgaria.

Zermatt.

Cairngorm.

Hemsedal.

Eastern Pyrenees.

Still got some stormy weather to get out of the way across the Pyrenees and over the Alps as we get to the end of the month. After that temperatures generally looking average to above average heading into October. Some ensembles have been toying with idea of something cooler in the Alps around 05 October in recent runs, but without much support. Bit cooler in Scotland over the next few days so possibly some light snow up high.

Here's an ensemble of girls in a jeep going skiing (from Life magazine).

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here's a short piece from the Met Office on potential relationships between ENSO (El Niño in this instance) and weather in Europe. Suggesting a link between El Niño conditions and cooler weather in the second half of winter.

El Niño gives colder European winters

That said from week to week it looks less likely that this winter will see El Niño conditions, with neutral conditions looking more likely at this stage.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ESTOFEX shows up that stormy weather well.

"A level 1 was issued for parts of NE Spain, S-France, NW and W Italy, Corsica and Sardinia mainly for heavy to locally excessive rainfall amounts, strong to severe wind gusts, isolated large hail and an isolated tornado event."

That heavy rain will probably leave 5-15cm of snow at around 3000m in much of the Alps.

A bit of a switch in the outlook in the last 24 hours, that fracture around the 05 October is looking more like a fissure with a much stronger single now for below rather than above average temperatures at the end of the first week of October. But still a real range of options being suggested so a lot of uncertainty.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nozawaonsen, I don't know how to do it, but have a look at the GSF runs over the uk for December 15th. Batten down the hatches ! Skullie
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ricklovesthepowder, not completely sure what you mean as GFS doesn't stretch out beyond 15 October? You may I suspect have come across the CFS daily 9 month run. This is a slightly wacky model which to be honest is really just a bit of a laugh. It's simply not possibly to predict with any sort of accuracy at all at that type of range. But it has been flinging out some rather fun charts recently.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This morning's GFS runs have swung back towards a warmer end to the first week and start to the second week of October. This sort of inconsistency flags up uncertainty and this is underlined by the spread from around 05 October. The majority of ensembles going for something milder, but a good few keeping the colder option alive.

That cold possibility gets a further boost from the Euros (UKMO and ECM) who also look colder. Here's ECM with some cold coming in from the east.

Maybe it will be clearer by this evening.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nozawaonsen, here is a link to the December 15th event I was talking about. Granted, it's 2 and a half months away, but would be amazing if it came off!

Page 175, 2nd post down.

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,103471,page=175
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ah yes the CFS daily run. Meteociel adds a specific warning to this one:

"ATTENTION : Ce ne sont pas des données à prendre au pied de la lettre pour un jour donné. A n'utiliser que pour établir de vagues tendances : indices de blocages, haute/basse pressions etc..."

This morning the same model has that period dominated by calm, settled weather.

CFS 00z 29 Sept +1860 (!)

My post above illustrates how much uncertainty you can have in five days time let alone 75. The way I would interpret those two CFS snapshots of mid December, one extremely unsettled, one settled, would be to say that there is considerable uncertainty about the weather in mid December. Which I could probably have said without looking at the CFS daily output. But you're right if there was such a deep low pressure hitting the UK then yes it would be very stormy.

Taking a quick glance at the CFS monthly it continues to suggest northern blocking is looking more likely in the second half of winter or at least January and February (which conversely does make stormy weather more likely in the first half of winter).

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 30-09-12 14:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
What I want to know is where do journo's get information like this from - is it just in order to get more "hits"!

From the front page of the aol website this morning - http://travel.aol.co.uk/2012/09/29/uk-weather-forecaste-snow-ice-floods-britain-october-autumn/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk%7Cdl9%7Csec1_lnk1%26pLid%3D129659
ski holidays
reded78, yes is the short answer.

AOL is quoting the Daily Express which extrapolated it's headline from some comments by Jonathan Powell (of PWS now reappearing as Vantage, see below). It then stuck on a picture of snow to make the story more interesting. To be honest much of the content of the original story seems quite sensible, there have been some indications of colder weather in the models (but still tinged with a lot of uncertainty which seems to get lost in the story) and Nadine is continuing to make trouble out in the Atlantic. But the weather doesn't look exceptional for October. You'd expect it to be getting colder with more unsettled weather at times in between possible milder and more settled weather. It's autumn. But a story headlined "Autumnal weather looking likely in er autumn" wouldn't be as eye catching. Hence why the Express put an Arctic blast headline accompanied by a picture of snow.

George Monbiot ran a couple of good pieces on this earlier this year.

Do the weather forecasters quoted by the Daily Mail actually exist?
Just who are the mysterious women who produced Positive Weather Solutions' forecasts and appeared in Mail articles?

The Daily Express continues to suffer outbreaks of dodgy weather reporting
Why does the Express seem so keen to keep discredited weather forecaster Jonathan Powell in work?

To be fair the forecast Jonathan Powell has on his Vantage website for October is far less alarmist than the Express article. But then he presumably likes the publicity he gets from giving them the quotes he does and doesn't mind being associated with the over the top headlines as part of the pact.
ski holidays
I do note that they never re-visit the stories at the time of the anticipated climactic weather event!!

I remember reading in the summer of extreme heat waves etc on the way, only to be met (as we all remember) of a rather damp squid.
snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:
But the weather doesn't look exceptional for October. You'd expect it to be getting colder with more unsettled weather at times in between possible milder and more settled weather. It's autumn. But a story headlined "Autumnal weather looking likely in er autumn" wouldn't be as eye catching.

The irony is that in reality, for many of us in the northern 1/2 of the UK, 2012 so far has been one tedious blur of unsettled conditions fluctuating from milder to colder than average and our transition to autumnal conditions will likely be particularly undramatic; just a bit windier, and a bit cooler.

But the fact that there is never any compelling evidence one way or the other at this time of the year to outlook a milder or a cooler than average winter for our neck of the woods never stops Jonathan Powell et al. selling their snake oil Armageddon winter forecasts to newspaper editors who pander to readers with short memories for their past failures and even shorter attention spans when it comes to digesting Meteorological science. Plus ca change. Laughing

nozawaonsen, this season's thread is already looking like it's going to be as much fun as ever though so thanks for your contributions in advance. Little Angel I'm certainly looking forward to the roller coaster ride. Cool
ski holidays
Seconded keep up the good work nozawaonsen, enjoyed last years thread and can't wait for the snow to start falling in Europe.
snow conditions
Thanks! Good to know you enjoy it!

This evening's output hasn't done a whole lot to clear up what happens from 05 October, but seems to be edging away from anything especially cold for the Alps. Beyond 10 October is another matter and the last few GFS runs have been suggesting the middle part of the month could see something a bit colder. However, given that it's ten days out I would simply say it's something to keep an eye on rather than to make any assumptions about.
ski holidays
Some thoughts on September in Austria from ZAMG.

September: Letzte Hitze, erster Schnee
http://www.zamg.ac.at/cms/de/klima/news/september-letzte-hitze-erster-schnee

- From summer to winter in 48 hours.
- 11 September still had summer heat, 32.3C in Zwerndorf.
- By 13 September the mountains and valleys had already felt winter.
- Cold air pushed in on 12 and 13 September.
- At 1100m above sea level at Bad Gastein there was a 3cm deep snow pack, 10cm at the Hahnenkamm.
- The last time this happened in September in Bad Gastein was 2002.
- Overall though the month was 0.9C warmer than average in Austria.
- the last third of the month was unusually warm, the warmest since 2003.
latest report
a cracking monthly forecast...nobody has a clue!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167#outlook
snow report
letelemarker wrote:
a cracking monthly forecast...nobody has a clue!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167#outlook

Seems fair enough to me. They are being pretty up front and honest about it as far as I can see. Either they could say it definitely looks like being like this. Which would be untrue, but more definite. Or say it looks uncertain, which is more honest, but less definite.
latest report
NOAA's latest ENSO update:

"The CFS.v2 ensemble mean predicts ENSO-neutral conditions in Northern Hemisphere winter after a short period of marginal El Niño conditions."
snow conditions
Looks from the ensembles above like some snow overnight for the Cairngorms before warming up quite a bit as we approach the weekend.

In the Alps temperatures look average to above average with high pressure in charge. Possibly a slight dip now around 07 October. Against this generally fairly mild background mid month remains the best chance for a shift to cooler temperatures at the moment, but not with anything even close to any confidence.

Incidentally if you are interested in the role of the Stratosphere on winter weather and the Arctic Oscillation (AO) and North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) then this is a good blog piece by Matt Hugo.

Stratospheric Conditions & Winter Weather – Analysis & Information

His focus is the UK, but it obviously holds true for elsewhere in the Northern Hemisphere. As before it's important to note that for the Alps if it's snow you want it may not be extreme cold you need.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 3-10-12 23:05; edited 2 times in total
snow report
We all know that last year in the Alps there was little snow before the beginning of December and then there was lots. Is there any historical data about that indicates the statistical average date when the snow cover becomes permanent (for the winter); say down to 2000m. Since webcams have been about I think its into November and probably mid-November. Obviously its different for different areas each year.
I can see SHs getting nervous but it would be unusual I think for a permanent snow line to be other than very high (3000m plus) at the start of October. There have been hints of the coming winter but I suspect the first big storm is statistically some time away
ski holidays
To be honest I would be a little surprised if anyone is worrying about lack of snow on 02 October. Chances are we will get one or two snowfalls in October to relatively low levels which will then melt away. Between the second half of November and first week of December is when you might normally expect to see the snow line dropping down and the snow pack starting to build.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's like Christmas, you wonder how many presents you'll get, you start to see the presents under the tree, you don't know what they are and you can't open them until Christmas anyway, but you still have a peek and dream.
ski holidays
Update from NSIDC on Arctic and Antarctic ice.

02 October 2012 Press Release: Arctic sea ice shatters previous low records; Antarctic sea ice edges to record high

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 3-10-12 23:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Looking at the ensembles above you can see a clear suggestion in both the GFS operational run and the control run for colder weather to push across the Alps around mid month in ten days time.

Obviously that's still too far out. But perhaps worth keeping an eye on the middle part of the month.
snow conditions
Has anyone noticed that medium term weather forecasts read more like horoscopes as time goes by - you can usually read what you want into them!
snow conditions
The NINO3.4 SST index has dipped down into neutral territory at +0.36.
snow conditions
NYT on El Niño:

Experts See Signs of El Niño, but a Weak One

"... after seeing signals for months that a moderate Niño might be arriving right about now, the more likely case appears to be an episode that is weak indeed: probably short, and hardly nasty or brutish."

"“This may be El Niño manqué, a borderline El Niño — a wannabe El Niño.”"
snow conditions
Looking at GFS this morning mid month still looks interesting. Most of the runs yesterday supported a shift to cooler temperatures from around 13/14 October. The operational run this morning is more of an outlier and is less keen on colder temperatures though most of the pack still support them, indeed have moved more towards them. There may be a clearer signal by this evening, not least as ECM comes into play.
snow conditions
GFS 06z and the 12z run both went for cold weather for three or four days mid month with snowfall across the Alps before warming back to October average later in the run. Still plenty of time for that to change of course.
ski holidays
Acuweather winter forecast for the USA is now up:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/winter-forecast-snow-northeast-nyc/80787

And 2011-12 for comparison:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/accuweathercom-winter-20112012/55890

NOAA actual temperature anomaly DJF 2011-12:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/service/national/Statewidetrank/201112-201202.gif

And 2010-11 for comparison (courtesy of Mr Bastardi):

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/winter-2011-heavier-snow-for-c/34891

NOAA actual temperature anomaly DJF 2010-11:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/service/national/Statewidetrank/201012-201102.gif
snow report
This evening's ECM also going for a cool down on 14 October in the Alps.

04 October 12z ECM +240

Good to see some cross model agreement developing.

Should be cold in Scotland too.
snow report
Eastern Alps look like seeing snow on Sunday 07 October and Tuesday 09 October falling to around 2500m+.

It gets more interesting from mid month according to this morning's GFS with temperatures dropping a good 10C and snow falling down to the valleys. In this morning's output the timing of cold air and rain means the snow line would be quite a bit lower in the east than west. That said at this range it's more the trend than the detail that is the point. And the trend has been pointing to colder weather mid month for a few days. Still too far for real confidence. But increasing. ECM may add to this in the next few minutes.
latest report
Good work nozawaonsen, if you can bring in some snow mid oct, some of that will likely stick above 2500m.

Keep it up.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy