Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 12/13 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
I'm not a frequent poster here and do my best not to look too often! However we are out in Chatel from Christmas so my visits are a bit more frequent just now. I bring no expertise but spotted this update on Meteo-Chamonix.org which I have often found quite reliable:

Actualisation jeudi 8h: depuis hier soir les modèles évoluent très vite et divergent à courte échéance. La fiabilité est donc mauvaise au-delà de 48h. Au vue des événements prévus il vaut la peine de mentionner les différences observées ce matin. Bien que la douceur soit toujours d'actualité pour cette fin de semaine deux autres phénomènes prévus semblent prendre une tournure plus "favorable": premièrement les précipitations prévues entre samedi après-midi et dimanche matin ne semblent plus être aussi abondantes qu'envisagées hier soir (ECMWF et UKMO). Deuxième point à noter, le modèle nord-américain GFS prévoit maintenant que la neige referait sont apparition en station dès l'arrivée du prochain front lundi après-midi (la neige descend lundi soir vers 1400 puis 1000m). Ce scénario est aussi prévue par le principal modèle européen ECMWF mais avec +12h de décalage. Nouveau bulletin complet ce soir vers 19h par François

If my French is working it is painting a bit rosier picture than of late and whilst some rain is forecast some models suggest it will be less intense and back to snow by Monday. Hope they are right!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DJL,
Quote:

If my French is working it is painting a bit rosier picture than of late and whilst some rain is forecast some models suggest it will be less intense and back to snow by Monday. Hope they are right!

Tu a raison Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oui, tu as raison... bon!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It looks pretty likely that there will be a warmer than average spell in the run up to Christmas. This will bring fairly heavy rain to the northern side of the Alps on Saturday night and Sunday morning up to 2000m at times (heavy snow above that). It will be windy too. Much of the worst of this looks like being overnight.

Down like rain...

http://youtube.com/v/-xFvJQz6q_s&list=ALHTd1VmZQRNr6vIPxRbvfsKQlu1A9DQYl

Christmas Eve looks dry, but very mild with a strong Foehn picking up.

http://www.meteocentrale.ch/en/weather/foehn-and-bise/foehn.html

From Christmas Day/Boxing Day temperatures start falling with further snow to low levels. 29 December currently shaping up for another stormy and snowy period.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some decent snow tomorrow, but Saturday night, Sunday morning still looking rather challenging.

Here's SLF.

"Sunday

On Saturday night in particular, intense precipitation is anticipated, accompanied by strong velocity northwesterly winds. The snowfall level will ascend to markedly higher altitudes, in western and northern regions up to 2200 m, in eastern regions up to 1800 m. During the day it will turn increasingly sunny and very mild from the west. The hazards of dry and wet avalanches, as well as of full depth snowslides, are expected to increase already during the night."
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nozawaonsen, currently snowing hard in the Tarentaise (at least at 1800m and above). Will this keep going all night? Trying to decide how early to set my alarm for!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
nozawaonsen, currently snowing hard in the Tarentaise (at least at 1800m and above). Will this keep going all night? Trying to decide how early to set my alarm for!

You have such terrible problems Rob Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Smokin Joe, it's a hard life, but I keep doing my best Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

currently snowing hard in the Tarentaise (at least at 1800m and above)

snowing very hard in the Beaufortain, 1550m. Some people call all new snow "powder" but this isn't. Claggy. 5 or 6" of new snow out there at the moment, just dashed home, now have wet track suit trousers!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For anyone in the Salzburgerland in Austria the local avi report and weather is now available in English

http://www.lawine.salzburg.at/start.html?lang=en_UK

rob@rar, life's a beach Little Angel

pam w, send it east if it's not good enough for you, please.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, should keep going for a few more hours, but then it's heading east towards waynos.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Completely off topic except that it relates to cold weather. Rather beautiful though. Frost Flowers.

Suddenly There's A Meadow In The Ocean With 'Flowers' Everywhere
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Excellent piece in the NYT on the tragedy at Tunnel Creek last season. Very well put together. Quite harrowing.

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2012/snow-fall/#/?part=tunnel-creek
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
18z looks much more forgiving in precipitation terms over the weekend. snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, the snow has indeed made its way east.
latest report
I looked heavenwards this morning, and instead of the sky's characteristic gentle grey hue there is a huge glowing fireball surrounded by hellish oranges and deathly blues. WHAT DEVILRY IS THIS?
ski holidays
Mr Piehole, should be good today in the west with sun following the overnight snow!
ski holidays
Mr Piehole wrote:
I looked heavenwards this morning, and instead of the sky's characteristic gentle grey hue there is a huge glowing fireball surrounded by hellish oranges and deathly blues. WHAT DEVILRY IS THIS?

B*gger those bl**dy Mayans.
snow report
I see Bergfex have very much moderated my forecast for Mayrhofen Very Happy Most of the precipitation early on Sunday when the freezing level is suitably low and then the warm up on Monday with sunshine ready for sitting on a sunny terrace with a gluhwein (with a bit of skiing thrown in) and then cooling down nicely for some snowfall on wednesday with the snowline progressively dropping through 1000 down to 500M.

All in all its "beginning to look a lot like Christmas" snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Taking a general look at the next couple of weeks it does look like a pretty unsettled period with precipitation well above average (for the northern Alps).

http://www.wxmaps.org/pix/prec4.html

And temperatures rising and falling above and below the seasonal average, bringing snow to low levels at times, but also rain as well. Frequently strong winds particularly on the northern side of the Alps.

The raised temperatures and rain at lower levels and heavy snow above will increase the likelihood of gleitschneelawinen. More generally the fresh snow at altitude and high winds are likely to increase the avalanche risk.
latest report
Quote:

should be good today in the west with sun following the overnight snow!

It was. We had 20/30 cms before it went off eastwards, then the sun shone. No lifts open here till tomorrow so we went off to Megeve, which had a bit open. Everything snowy, beautiful trees, lots of sun, no wind. Mont Blanc looking fantastic (there was wind up the top of that).
snow conditions
Report on yesterday's fatal avalanche in Tirol. One German ski mountaineer killed after falling through rocky terrain having triggered a slab avalanche. His companion was also caught in the avalanche, but survived with injuries.

http://lawinenwarndienst.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/todlicher-lawinenunfall-hohe-munde.html?m=1
latest report
Looks like quite a bit of snowfall to come from 25/26 for a few days as temperatures cool down.

Possibly another mild and stormy spell round 29/30 December.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
Looks like quite a bit of snowfall to come from 25/26 for a few days as temperatures cool down.
Broadly across the Alps? Nice for Santa to deliver some more fresh (although I do feel as if I've already had lots of early Christmas presents from him).
snow report
rob@rar, it'll be the northern side of the Alps that sees the most once again.
ski holidays
Slightly worried about the FL, alot of rain at lower levels this weekend Sad
snow report
Chris Brookes wrote:
Slightly worried about the FL, alot of rain at lower levels this weekend Sad

A lot? Not sure where you're looking, but the precipitation has been downgraded drastically with each run this week!

Les Deux Alpes was looking at over 50mm at one point, now it's under 10

Don't worry, be happy......... wink
latest report
nozawaonsen, nice, looks like I'll get back from the UK just in time, having missed the coming rain!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999, timing is everything.
latest report
nozawaonsen, any idea what may be going on in Bulgarian mountains back-end of next week?
snow conditions
clarky999, Snowing fit to bust right now in Salzburgerland south of the big tunnels. I was reduced to 30 km/h following snow ploughs from Werfen to Altenmarkt as it was dumping so heavily. SaraJ and a few others report heavy snow in Tirol at levels above Inn valley height. Why did you go back to the UK? By the time you get back it will be all skied out! wink Laughing
snow report
Samerberg Sue, yeah, was snowing heavily right down in the valley as my plane took off this morning! Ha, at least I'll skip the rain and warmth! Skied my fair share of pow recently anyway wink
snow report
DoubleBombardino, Bulgaria is going to be mild all through the Christmas period and either average or above average early in January. Snow at higher altitudes looks possible around 30 December. But milder than average seems to be the trend.
latest report
thanks nozawaonsen, much appreciated. Got some pals out there right now who despite being natives are mired in travel problems with all the snow and ice. Glad to hear of a warm-up.

By the way, am off to your eponymous resort in Japan in mid Jan - any recommendations on a place to stay there?
latest report
DoubleBombardino, good call. Pension Schnee. Drink at the Stay Bar.

If you are there in time for the Dosijin you are in for a treat!
ski holidays
thanks for the tips, alas am just going to miss that festival, am in Tokyo during that time, duty calls Sad
latest report
The xmas forecast in one german word "Weihnachtstauwetter" as seen at http://www.hauser-kaibling.at/de/wetter-schnee Snowline last night rose to around 1000m around Schladming, hopefully some good pow higher up still this morning before the warmth arrives.
snow conditions
Darn, silly weather seems to be continuing 8c @ 1600m in some places Shock. Trying to choose between La Plagne and Avoriaz at the moment, no sure which to go for re my 19th jan trip with some mates. Puzzled
ski holidays
xander89, 29 days is a long way off yet. I'm sure you will be fine in either.
snow report
Quote:

Trying to choose between La Plagne and Avoriaz at the moment, no sure which to go for re my 19th jan

Trying to choose between two ski resorts, very close to each other in the grand scheme of things, on the basis of weather forecasts almost a month in advance is a fairly fruitless way of spending your time. wink You'd be unlucky not to be fine in either and it's improbable that between now and then one of them will continue to be blessed with champagne powder and the other will have all the snow washed away by torrential rain or sucked up by Foehn winds.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy