Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 12/13 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
What will be will be kitenski, I'd just prefer the forecasts to be saying something else even at this early stage!

Thinking about it last Christmas our first day was curtailed slightly as all but two lifts were shut in Cervinia due to wind. Broke us in gently and made day 2 a ski hard day.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gosh Shocked why are the models showing a retreat of the cold from the east Confused

Looks like the start of January could be warmer than the start of December!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bruisedskier, the start of January is two weeks away. What are you talking about?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Time for some strong coffee...

Here is a pointless chart for the end of the GFS run showing colder than average temperatures in the Alps for early January.

I say pointless because at that range the output is extremely likely to change.

As for Arabba it's on the southern and eastern side of the Alps. Therefore I would be surprised if the stormy weather heading for the western and northern side of the Alps had a massive impact. It looks cooler and drier to me.

French Alps still look pretty wet and windy on Saturday night, Sunday morning. Good excuse to go large on Saturday and doze on Sunday.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks nozawaonsen.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ditto Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowforecast.com seems to be getting things very wrong this season. They've been underestimating snowfall a lot and their temperature predictions have been way off as well. Are they being caught out by funny conditions or has something gone wrong with their system?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lenny Law wrote:
Snowforecast.com seems to be getting things very wrong this season. They've been underestimating snowfall a lot and their temperature predictions have been way off as well. Are they being caught out by funny conditions or has something gone wrong with their system?

They've never been the best, but I agree this winter they seem to be way off the mark.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is it just me or does anyone find their "issued: 12am 18 Dec 2012 (local time)" thing wrong. 12am is midnight? Pretty sure they updated it 1hr 17mins ago and mean issued: 12pm.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I certainly hope so, they are showing nearly 1M of rain in les carroz on saturday Sad

Too early to tell but I have 5 weeks to go until my trip and so far its all looked very promising until I saw thart. We will see.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mheadbee wrote:
I certainly hope so, they are showing nearly 1M of rain in les carroz on saturday Sad

Or to look at it another way, nearly 1cm of rain.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mheadbee wrote:
Quote:

Too early to tell but I have 5 weeks to go until my trip and so far its all looked very promising until I saw thart. We will see.

A METRE of RAIN? Shocked I think you've got your wires crossed..... That would be true Mayan shizzz. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Im certainly hoping they have the temp forecast wrong! Headed to Vorarlberg on Friday and they are forecasting 39mm rain on Sunday night!! it was looking so good until this week Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mheadbee, Better get the boat out then!!

there is loads of snow in les carroz at the moment, so much snow some off piste is go straight or you stop. 5 weeks is ages away, loads could happen, could turn sub tropical...still have the loungers on the balcony....

STOP worrying Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't post much but I have 2 bits of advice.

1. Do not look at snow-forecast.com.

2. Listen to Noz and don't panic unless he says panic.
latest report
nozawaonsen, interesting video here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/20771143

Is that high pressure shift the cause of milder temperatures in Western Europe this weekend, or are the two completely unrelated? Very Happy
latest report
nozawaonsen, I have strayed from the path, forgive me Embarassed

Netweather earlier today was showing warm temperatures out into January, they go out to 384 hours, and the cold had rolled back into Russia, leaving europe a green and pleasant land (on their map.)

However I see now normality has returned and a nice swathe of blue is cut across europe as far as the pyrenees.
snow conditions
Netweather going out to 384, snowforecast.com, are both using the same base data which is the GFS operational run.

GFS is a really clever model which does an amazing job of sorting through the complexity of the different variables in how the weather might turn out. But it is a model based on 20 different ensemble runs produced several times during the day. To just use the operational run is like trying to play Moonlight Sonata using just one piano key.
snow conditions
jonathancarty wrote:
I don't post much but I have 2 bits of advice.

1. Do not look at snow-forecast.com.

2. Listen to Noz and don't panic unless he says panic.

very good advice imho
latest report
Well, whatever it'll do at the weekend (and meteo France is a lot more optimistic about the snow/rain level) it is stunning tonight. Drove from Calais today. There's been 30 cms fresh snow up in Saisies today and all the way up from Megeve there was snow on the road. Starlit sky, trees looming huge in the moonlight, with as big a load of snow as they can carry. No traffic (well, you wouldn't expect much at 3 am....). New snow tyres doing their job. snowHead Magic night.

Col de Montets is closed - signs on the A40.
snow conditions
Quote:

they are showing nearly 1M of rain

Quote:

Or to look at it another way, nearly 1cm of rain.

or to look at it yet another way, nearly 100mm of rain, chaps?
snow conditions
NehNeh
ski holidays
Could be some very fine weather today in the Alps as the sun breaks through.

Snow's back on Friday though before we get to the tricky Saturday night, Sunday morning spell. Very wet and windy with snow line between 1700 and 2000m (possibly higher in the west). On the plus side it's going to put a lot more snow down at altitude. Obviously the snow and wind will also create an increased avalanche risk.

Boxing Day looks like it will bring more snow to lower levels.

Off into FI GFS produces a very mild operational outlier with no support from the pack or indeed ECM all of which go colder. But a lot of spread and realistically the only conclusion is uncertainty as we head towards the last few days of 2012.
snow report
That damn spike in temps on Sat night / Sunday is not disappearing.

I'm keeping my hopes up that it's only the handiwork of a GFS programmer with Bayesian statistics leanings and a strong belief in Mayan prophecies.
snow report
horizon, sat night and sunday is going to be warm and wet. Let's hope the following snow sorts things out
snow report
horizon, there is still a 5 or so degree difference in the GFS runs for St Anton so may not be as bad/could be very wet, all to play for!!
latest report
Quote:

That damn spike in temps

Not to mention improbably ridiculous spike in precipitation...... Shocked
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

That damn spike in temps

Not to mention improbably ridiculous spike in precipitation...... Shocked

Seemed to mellow slightly in the last few runs, but the 06z brings it back with a vengeance!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This evening's SLF outlook.

"Outlook until Saturday, 22.12.2012

Friday

Particularly during the night, widespread snowfall above approximately 1000 m. During the day it will be variably cloudy. The avalanche danger is not expected to change significantly.
Saturday

On Saturday in western and northern regions in particular, continued precipitation. The snowfall level in western regions will ascend to about 1600 m. The avalanche danger is expected to increase from region to region."
snow report
So, I may have to get in an off-piste day this Saturday. (Guided of course) Regardless, I always travel with the Avy gear. Just a little bit more than bummed about that temp spike on Saturday night/Sunday. I just hope it is a short lived event. All weather is local though, so will see what mother nature has in store for the next week.

It was snowing at Sea Level here in Seattle this morning. Turned to rain right quick though. So, again my jet stream calculation will have lots of snow in the Alps tomorrow night! Wink Can't wait to wake up, all jet lagged from 15 hours of travel time to Zermatt. A nice fresh dump of snow will no doubt be better than any Swiss Espresso could do for getting me raring to go! Smile
ski holidays
This afternoon's ECM models 850 hPa temperatures as high as +14 C across the French Alps on Christmas Eve ...

snow report
Thank god for that, I thought it was going to be cold and miserable!
snow report
Looking at the positive side the warmest air on Christmas eve doesn't coincide with the snow/rain. Cooler and snow to lower levels from Boxing Day.
ski holidays
Every way or option I look at shows abnormally mild air over the Pyrenees until after Christmas. This is very bizzare indeed, the temps are way way above normal Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
Better pack the cocktail umbrellas Cool
snow conditions
Quote:

Gosh why are the models showing a retreat of the cold from the east

Looks like the start of January could be warmer than the start of December!!

ok, I got the dates wrong but this is the gist of what I was trying to say. At least it doesn't co-incide with any pres..precip... wet stuff falling.

The temperature seems to fall away quite though.
ski holidays
Looking at the sqigglies, 23rd seems to have dropped in terms of volume of water, temps still a bit high. The three Valleys that is.

http://www.wintersportweerman.nl/wintersport-weerkamer/ensembles/ensemble-les-menuires/
snow conditions
Meanwhile, in Russia.

-50!
latest report
Yep the warmer air looks like its going to win out this time. Up until yesterday the eastern alps looked like they would escape the warmer air but this has all changed now. The warmer air now looks like spreading right across the alps. I'd be suprised to see this backtrack now as all if not most of the ensemble members support this now.

However the good news is that the warm up is only temporary and looks now to be followed by more snow xmas/boxing day. And for some French resorts the possibility of the snow continuing right up until the new year though would treat this with low confidence at this stage.
latest report
Here's a report (in German) on the fatal avalanche in St Anton on Tuesday.

http://lawinenwarndienst.blogspot.co.at/2012/12/details-zum-todlichen-lawinenunfall-im_20.html

A group of Russian skiers lost their way in deep snow and poor visibility off piste. One of them was caught in an avalanche in a chute, unfortunately in the poor conditions his colleagues did not notice him missing until they got to the valley. He had managed to trigger his ABS, but in the chute this wasn't able to save him.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy