Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche crushes lift system!

Poster: A snowHead
freehillskier put this up on another thread. Worth one of it's own I thought!

http://www.wat.tv/video/telesiege-detruit-par-avalanche-4wvih_2i6xp_.html

Amazingly no casualties...

Shocked
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nozawaonsen, Incredible thanks for posting.
Quote:
An avalanche in the resort of Saint-Francois-Longchamp, in Savoy, Friday afternoon crushed a chairlift carrying seventy skiers, who were safely evacuated.

Davidof
has subtitled the original report

http://youtube.com/v/BJXVfb-byhc&list=UUXnldpJFGoEOwz4mRqsJ18g&index=2&feature=plcp

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 5-03-12 13:01; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
WOW!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nozawaonsen, Thanks that you putting on a own thread,, I was in something like this in Les Sybelles last season, but it was stop just before the draglift,,
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Double Wow Shocked

Amazing the power of it - definitley a reality check
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
interesting footage. I fail to see how it is a reality check... avalanches are dangerous
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kioksor,
Quote:

I fail to see how it is a reality check.
The female liftie starts by saying that it appeared to move so slowly that she didn't at first appreciate the danger. This is from someone who lives and works in the mountains and yet plainly a reality check for her. And, presumably, a reality check for those too who think open pistes (the piste at the bottom of the lift in this case, the black one down which the avalanche came was in fact closed because of perceived risk) are immune from danger.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thats amazing. Despite how slow it was moving it still had a lot of power behind it. How did the people on the chairlift survive that???
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
How did the people on the chairlift survive that???

From what's shown on the video all the people were on chairs which were already some distance uphill from the start of the chairlift and were higher than the level of the moving snow. I would imagine that once the pylon was demolished the chairlift motor was tripped either automatically or manually. This would leave the 41 skiers on their chairs from which they would have to be rescued.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very scary! Just shows even though I don't venture off piste, it's still a danger and more so this season due to the snow not being so stable?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

The female liftie starts by saying that it appeared to move so slowly that she didn't at first appreciate the danger

I think she also described it as "exciting" that the lift pylon was demolished - maybe she'd have chosen a different word if people had been on the chairs which were engulfed in snow.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, she used 'impressionnant' didn't she? I think that can mean impressive, even upsetting, as well as exciting. (Not such a subtle language as English - as you can see from the imbalance in most dictionaries. wink)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From the video the slope angle didn't look especially steep.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Davidof has the video without the ads
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BJXVfb-byhc
latest report
Assuming the people that had just got on the lift got off ok?
ski holidays
Yes all "sain et sauf" safe and sound.
latest report
the black slope was closed - wouldn't have been a good day to duck the ropes.
latest report
It appears to be the TS de la Lauziere:
http://alpes.france3.fr/info/avalanche-une-coulee-bloque-un-telesiege-72759215.html

We rode up that very lift on Sunday, 19th February - just 12 days before:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1995912

I remember noting at the time, although inviting, how heavily loaded that slope was. Both the black and the red back to the base of the lift were firmly shut because of the risk. The only way down was via the red back to the Col de Madeleine.

I imagine someone will be for the highjump!
snow conditions
I can't be the only one thinking MILF?
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.., wet slide, doesn't have to be steep.
snow conditions
The view from one of the chairs:

http://youtube.com/v/30OVme-7wJk
snow report
The scary thing is that the entire snowpack has gone at once, right from the ground (see the wall at the top where it started - can't think of the proper word for it but there is one...). I am no expert but I think there will be plenty more of these huge, slow wet slides - I gather there is a weak layer at the bottom from when so much snow fell (mid-Dec) within a few days onto bare, warm ground at the start of the season. Now it has warmed up bits will start coming off.

Please be careful, everyone!
ski holidays
"Right lads who packed the ladder?"
snow report
clarky999, Presume you mean the newsreader rather than the liftie? (Though there have been some odd views expressed on Snowheads recently)
snow report
I was astonished today around Brevent at the full depth full slope slides.

Never seen anything like it.
snow conditions
Wow, that's incredible!

Also, amazing that everyone just stands there!! Glad no-one was hurt - and just shows why you should stay off closed pistes.
latest report
Here was the snow report from HAT from a couple of days ago, pretty spot on with forecast for wet avalanches due to warmth and 3500 freezing level.
http://www.henrysavalanchetalk.com/avalanche-danger-rating-high-savoie-h-savoie
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting to see the video of it from someone on the chair, I watched the TV footage with horror, thinking what it must have been like for the people already on it, but it doesn't seem to have been too dramatic, I expected them to have been bounced around a bit more than that when the pylon went down.

On the Tv footage, they say "le cable emportee" - carried away, If the cable was broken, what would stop the rest of the chairs decending? Would it happen quickly or slowly? Thankfully it doesn't seem to have happened at all so no-one hurt. I wonder if the guy on the chair has some video of the rescue? I saw them getting some people off a chair in Les Arcs a couple of years ago. I'm sure the "nombreuses skieurs pret embarquee" who Marie-Helene "a stoppee" were rather grateful! (I don't think I've heard the french verb "stop" used in speach before!)
latest report
I guess one of those situations where although it must have been terrifying to have been in the chairs it may have been better to have been above it as far as they were. I guess the chairs are actually clamped onto the cables so as long as the cable persisted somewhere they must have just dangled at a crazy angle until they were rescued - a lucky escape for all concerned!!
snow conditions
Evacuation can't have been easy. Although the ground was fairly easy under the feet of the skier above, the rescuers wouldn't have wanted to drop them onto debris or, for that matter, the ground nearby as there could easily have been secondaries.

It's a long lift and the ground higher up is considerably steeper - not somewhere you'd want to be wallowing around in deep snow.

I imagine most were choppered off:
http://www.franceinfo.fr/faits-divers/une-avalanche-fait-plier-un-telesiege-en-savoie-545275-2012-03-02
ski holidays
Quote:
More fear than harm for the 70 skiers on their chair lift installed. Around 15:30, a snow slide eight feet high rushed down the slopes, hitting the first tower of the chairlift. Under pressure from the snow, the pole was bent, and was almost buried. Fortunately, there were no casualties.

The rescuers then began the evacuation of "passengers". At 18h, all skiers were rescued by helicopter, or simply come down with a rope and a harness.

According to the CRS of Albertville, the avalanche was caused by the thaw temperatures. It activated on a black run closed to the public.

Yesterday, Météo France had already warned skiers against risks "of wet snow avalanches" in the Northern Alps. Other snow slides could occur in the day tomorrow

Google translate is getting better Very Happy most of that made perfect sense.
snow conditions
Pedantica wrote:
kioksor,
Quote:

I fail to see how it is a reality check.
The female liftie starts by saying that it appeared to move so slowly that she didn't at first appreciate the danger. This is from someone who lives and works in the mountains and yet plainly a reality check for her. And, presumably, a reality check for those too who think open pistes (the piste at the bottom of the lift in this case, the black one down which the avalanche came was in fact closed because of perceived risk) are immune from danger.

Well thats just plain silly.

Everyone should be aware that there is a (small) chance of injury or death before they head up the mountain.
snow conditions
kioksor, sorry, but the average person doesn't - and generally needn't - worry about being taken in an avalanche whilst waiting at the bottom of the average chairlift.
snow conditions
Extremely fortunate that it wasn't busier, and that there wasn't a queue at the bottom or people getting on the lower chairs (especially the one that gets wrapped up in the tower)!
latest report
saw several of these type of avalanches (although not happening) across the espace killy last week, ie the entire snowpack moving, leaving completely bare ground. santons piste was closed throughout the week as at least 2 of these ran right across it, "forcing" beginners/ weak intermediates to take on the epaule du charvet or more foolishly, still using santons back down to val d.
snow conditions
Crikey, why didn't she stop the lift immediatey? If she was operating it she should have been only feet from the stop button ?

Another reason to dislike chairlifts perhaps, or is it the case that in this situation it would have been more dangerous to have been on a surface lift ?
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
Crikey, why didn't she stop the lift immediatey? If she was operating it she should have been only feet from the stop button ?

Another reason to dislike chairlifts perhaps, or is it the case that in this situation it would have been more dangerous to have been on a surface lift ?
I also wondered that?
ski holidays
Peter S, gatecrasher, I think had the liftie stopped those already on it would have been engulfed, watch closely near the beginning and the last chair with people on it only just clears the edge of the avalanche. Plus the lift operator was perhaps running for her life as well.
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
kioksor, sorry, but the average person doesn't - and generally needn't - worry about being taken in an avalanche whilst waiting at the bottom of the average chairlift.

meh... worry no, be aware yes.
trouble with average people is they tend to be oblivious to the world around them.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy