Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bansko Gondola in Feb

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there
just wanted to know if any one has any tips on avoiding the gondola queues for the Feb holiday week ( Week start 13th Feb)
are the really as awful as all the posts are making out , starting to worry us Sad

also realise the FIS race is in Bansko 18/19th guessing this is going to make things worse

thanks in advance
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gemmie20, Never been in Feb, but when I went in the first week of March, whenever there was a large queue, the resort were laying on Minibuses to the top of the Gondola. Even if they don't it could be worth asking at yout hotel if they lay on a minibus or taxi. It's only a couple of quid and well worth it for avoiding the queue. Once at the top of the Gondola, we never waited more than a few minutes for a chair lift, we walked straight on most of the time.

Bansko does get a bit of a bashing on here, a lot of the time from people who have never been. I went for the 1st time last year as my BIL has an apartment out there, I went fearing the worst but I was pleasently suprised by the terrian and the lift infrastructure (if you ignore the main Gondola). Some of the food in the BBQ type places was pretty good too.

Stop worrying and have fun.

PS : I hear they have stacks of snow too!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On the snow yes they have loads, my parents got back a week ago and they said its the best snow they have had out there. The queues over new year were awful and that included most the chairs lifts on new years day. however my parents have been reassuring me that when they have been in Jan and march they have been fine but i cant comment on feb uk half term week AND race week.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gemmie20, If you're going during a holiday week it will be bad. You're best bet will be to be either early or late onto the gondola out of the town. Once you're up on the mountain it wont be so bad. By early/late, before 8.15 or after 9.30.

My out-laws also have an apt. in Bansko, along with 30,000 others. wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 1-02-12 17:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks loads for the replies:-) we'll see how the first days goes and if its awful will check out a possible taxi up the hill
thanks again!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We went in Feb half term and the queues were absolutely awful. We were in the line by 8.15 and sometimes didn't get up for the 10 o'clock start if ski school. Not something I'd do again. Sad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Biddy Twiddle wrote:
We were in the line by 8.15

Shocked Best sleep on the lift then. wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
At the beginning of the week not many people spot the free buses, so get there early and get in the queue for those if you can ski a blue run (they drop you off above the top of the gondola). The buses have 'Free Ski Bus' written on them so are fairly easy to spot once you know what you are looking for. Smile
If you get to the gondola late, a taxi is probably your best bet.
Tons of snow and it's just starting to snow again!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi,

I booked my family in for the2012 half term hols in Bansko. Never been there but sort of know what to expect having been to Borovets. We have been generally spoilt by trips to the Alps but will take Bansko as we find it.

Stupidly, we didn't realise the World Cup would be on for the duration of the half term holidays and beyond.
I have since checked with the World Cup Planning Committee to confirm that 5 of the pistes on the right hans side of the mountain will be closed for the duration to all public skiing.
I am awaiting to hear how lifts are affected. My kids are under 16 so party atmosphere is no help.

Anyway, has anyone here actually been through the same at Bansko, and putting the idiotic situation of the gondola aside, was it ok or was it like trying to ski on the M25 at rush hour?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tolstoy wrote:

Anyway, has anyone here actually been through the same at Bansko, and putting the idiotic situation of the gondola aside, was it ok or was it like trying to ski on the M25 at rush hour?

Hi, my in-laws have an apartment in Bansko. I've been half a dozen times, but not for a couple of years now. All things considered, I'm no fan of the place and vowed not to bother again.

It's cheap, but not cheap enough when compared to mid-budget central Europe.

If you run a search for Bansko on this site, you can draw your own conclusions.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skiing the slopes themselves was fine as the lift flow effectively constrains how many people are skiing at once if that makes sense. If it is as bad as it was on New years day then it isn't just the gondola thats the issue, the queues for the chair lifts were just masses of people with no actual queue and everybody pushing and shoving. But that was just the one day most the days we were there it was just the Gondola queues that was our main bug bear.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NickyJ wrote:
.....i cant comment on feb uk half term week AND race week.

I can, I've been out there during both, hence me vowing never to go back. Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

not many people spot the free buses, so get there early and get in the queue for those if you can ski a blue run (they drop you off above the top of the gondola). The buses have 'Free Ski Bus' written on them so are fairly easy to spot once you know what you are looking for. Smile

Sound like a good tip this! Very Happy

Where do these buses run from? Can you pick them up in the gondola car park?

Going during half term with kids so anything to avoid looooong gondola queues!

Tks

J
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I have since checked with the World Cup Planning Committee to confirm that 5 of the pistes on the right hans side of the mountain will be closed for the duration to all public skiing.

Hi there Tolstoy
same here we booked up and then realised the race was on , and we also have kids under 16 . Guessing the race being on could be good! but coudl be bad:-( as you mention above for the duration? as in the whole week prior to the race?? or just a day or so before ?
we're there from the 12- 19th - just hoping the gondola queue isn't as awful as some are saying - free ski bus sounds like it might be a better bet for gettign up the hill

fingers crossed for the queues but the snow looks to be great out there at the mo:-)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi,

I have never been but have tried to determine whether I am just scare mongering or not! The race organisers has confirmed 5 piste closures but not come back to me whether this is for the whole week or not. Others say that there are piste closures but those designated for practice are closed on the two days of racing.

It is odd that there is no clear official informnation on this.

I am under no delusion, however, that it will be very busy and that early starts are going to be needed. Just what we need on holiday to relax.

I am hoping to get accross to have a look at some of the racing but to be honest my kids would rather be skiing.

We have booked from 14th to 22nd so we are hoping that we will get at least 2 days of quieter skiing after the half term week but wouldn't put money on it.

Good luck.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy