Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

18yr old had two acl opporations (knee) want to get back skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I got my injury from playing football in the summer season, thought it was nothing and found out I ripped my acl from the socket, I had key hole surgery first, that didn't work as I experience when I went back to play football and the similar noise reappeared as somebody tackled me, they had to have a graft, u used to be a avid skiier in the winter months, and I don't have the nerve to get back on a slope, I stopped all sport I play due to the lack of time as I am Getting older I'm working more often and college, but skiing was a real hobby and I was good at it, I just seeing if anybody went through this similar experience, as I am only young I need to still push myself and I want to back on the slope January 2012
I'm fully fit now, just any equipment which I could use to stabilise my knee, and any basic exercises which can help
Thanks for takin the time out to read this
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I should point out first: I AM NOT A DOCTOR, THIS IS JUST WHAT I DID

OK, disclaimer over, I had a similar operation after a rugby accident in (I think) 2006, I cycled a lot as it is a low impact exercise that can help build muscle around the knee and build up support and strength. When I was fully fit again I worked hard in the gym to build up core strength and then general strength whilst trying not to put too much weight on. I find the fitter and stronger you are the better, but heavy skiers in my opinion are more susceptible to knee injuries or knee wear and tear over the years.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skier don, I've been through 5 ACL reconstruction operations and I still ski. I blew out my right knee in 1989 when someone skied into my ski while I was standing still. I return to the snow a year later. Sadly I had to undergo another 2 recons on that knee due to the first 2 carbon fibre ligaments snapping while I was in school teaching (slipped on spilt food both times). The third recon was a patella tendon graft and it has withstood the test of time brilliantly.

Get fit and return gently, maybe starting at a Fridge near you on a quiet morning mid-week. It is a case of mind over matter more than anything else and learning to be sensible about what you actually commit yourself to doing.

Benni Raich is back at the highest World Cup racing level, racing in all the disciplines after busting his ACL big time at the World Championships in March this year. He was racing again in October by the way. OK he has the best possible treatment and rehab facilities, but it is also an example of what can be done if you want to do it.

If you are only 18 you have everything going for you in terms of being able to return to the sport. Us crinklies do not have it as easy! Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks I've got time off work soon and I'm thinking of testing my self and seeing how hard I can push my knee, just bought the KT tape for my knee, which is going well, I would advise using it, especially if you have weak ligaments like me.

http://www.kttape.com/instructions/knee-support-full/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skier don, tape and braces help but become psychological cruthces. Better to work on all round strength and fitness to protect a compromised knee. I have finally broken away from wearing one brace to "protect" my much abused right knee. It has only taken nearly 20 years! it was purely a psychological crutch. I now have to wean myself of the the other one and I will be skiing without any artificial aids for the first time in 22 years.

BTW your link does not work! Even trimming it back to the root site does not work!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Skier don, definitely work on all-round leg strength. Particularly the hamstrings and quads. Good strength in these muscles will protect the knee ligaments by taking more of the twisting forces before they are allowed to get to the knee.

Also concentrate on knee stability - do plenty of single-leg squats, lunges, balancing on a half-ball, single-leg bridging, even hopping on one leg.

Basically, the more you can do to have good all round leg strength and endurance, the better - as this will protect the ligaments in the knee.

I also use a knee brace. As mentioned by Samerberg Sue, it can be just as much of a psychological crutch as a physical one - I find it gives me a bit of peace of mind. However, I know I can't rely on it, and after this year I will be weaning myself off it (now 2 years post-op).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy