Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hernia advice.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know there are a few medical experts on Snowheads so wanted some advice from someone who knows the stresses involved in skiing.

About 4 years ago I had a mesh hernia repair in the right lower side of the groin. Nothing obviously was sticking out the symptoms were much more of fullness and pressure down there.

It's survived lots of cycling and skiing since then.

However 2 weeks ago I was, stupidly, doing lunges to help prepare for skiing on 17th. The next day I started getting the beginnings of the symptoms I had 4 years ago and these have gradually got worse rather than better.

I am seeing my surgeon (privately for speed etc) on Monday to see what's what.

Keen for an amateur view as to whether I am looking like cancelling the family ski holiday or whether I should still be ok to drive down and do some gentle skiing.

I don't mind pain - strong discomfort is a better word - but I don't want to be making things a lot worse for the future.

My GP was useless. "I can't really tell - you'd better see your surgeon, and by the way 2nd repairs are never as good as 1st repairs" Thanks!

Thanks in advance Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
My GP was useless. "I can't really tell - you'd better see your surgeon, and by the way 2nd repairs are never as good as 1st repairs" Thanks!

he's not necessarily wrong there... Just because you don't like the answer...

and if he could tell you what you needed to know - you wouldn't need to see the Surgeon. Ask the surgeon. OK?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I skied with a hernia in 2009 and I was fine. I had a bit of soreness but it was no problem. I skied because I hadn't had the diagnosis at that point. When I got back, I had the mesh hernia repair and it was all perfect. The following year I had a pain in the same area whilst skiing and like you, I was convinced I had another hernia because my original hernia symptoms had returned. I got it checked out with the surgeon and he said that sometimes the edge of the mesh can lift slightly and give the same symptoms as a hernia. I had a proper test where they fill your tummy with dye and get you to exert pressure and whilst you're doing that they take a scan. My scan showed that the original repair was still good but ironically, the side that wasn't hurting (my untouched right side) was on the verge of becoming a hernia. Two years later I now believe that I do indeed have a hernia on my right side but I'm still going to ski and get it checked out when I get back.

There's a good chance that you don't have a hernia (obviously get it checked though). My friend had exactly the same thing happen to him too. He had a hernia, symptoms returned, he was also told that it was just the edge of the mesh scarring or something. I didn't believe him when he told me because my symptoms were identical to the original hernia.

Good luck
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Had it checked and its as Boris said. Not a hernia but just disrupted all the scar tissue around it giving the symptons.

So :

No snow --- sorted
Hernia ------ sorted
high winds for the ferry - sorted, have a chunnel ticket as well.

just have :

huge amount of snow in alps meaning road to val thorens will be impassable or blocked by a coach - not sorted.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy