Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
J2R wrote:
Snow cover still looks really good there, despite the warm weather. Hope it lasts till the 10th, when I arrive (or more accurately, until the 18th, when I leave - although of course it would be nice if it lasted until the end of the season for all the other skiers as well, etc., etc.).

Its spring skiing at the moment with the slopes being perfect between 9-12 and then its heavy/slushy. It will change when the temps drop from the weekend. Currently it is 19c in our garden !!!!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The weather for the region, temps should start to cool down a fair bit now, but I don't expect them to get to freezing until Monday, On Monday the cooler temps will also bring some snow, looks like maybe 15 to 20 cm of the stuff to help freshen up the pistes, temps will stay cooler until probably Wednesday before warming up again on Thursday and Friday, From Saturday 10th I expect the temps to go cooler again with further snow that week possibly on almost every day, although that is not certain yet, looks like temps will remain cold for at least 1 week after Sat 10th
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the latest update ..... off to pack Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gimmeln sheds, 27th Feb 2012

Had a fantastic time as usual but felt it on the wallet !!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

From Saturday 10th I expect the temps to go cooler again with further snow that week possibly on almost every day, although that is not certain yet, looks like temps will remain cold for at least 1 week after Sat 10th

Fantastic news. 2 weeks in Wengen for me from the 10th...

Can't wait.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
From the webcams it looks like it snowed prettily heavily today as D G Orf indeed predicted
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pjd, it's amazing what the chicken entrails tell me Twisted Evil
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
anyone out there now? What are conditions like? Will be there in 8 days
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It looks like spring like conditions, best skking will be hand before 12 !
http://www.bergfex.ch/muerren-schilthorn/wetter/

wengen.com posted this today

http://youtube.com/v/TGTpuoOne0A

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 9-03-12 21:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Will be there tomorrow. Watch this space Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
telford_mike wrote:
Will be there tomorrow. Watch this space Very Happy

Enjoy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
View from Birg on the 3rd March 2012

http://youtube.com/v/TDzz4zr_SA8

I had time to spare before the Coop opened one morning (28th Feb 2012) so i went for a wonder and filmed this -

http://youtube.com/v/FK2g89iqUeo
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well the weather doesn't seem to have changed much since Chris recorded those videos - sunny and very warm in the afternoon. There's still a silly amount of snow everywhere, so no worries on that front.

There's so much snow on the ice rink they've installed a lift!

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
telford_mike, glad to see snow still in Wengen Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
telford_mike wrote:

There's so much snow on the ice rink they've installed a lift!

Smile
latest report
Very quiet day here today, got out early to beat the crowds, but in the event there were very few people about. Sunny, slightly hazy weather, very mild. Slopes are holding up very well on the whole, though anything south facing gets a bit soft after lunch. All runs open. The WC Slalom down to Mary's Cafe is particularly good.

Mannlichen chair at about 11.30 this morning.
latest report
Still very warm, great skiing in Mürren today. It looks like we're in for another 4 days of tropical weather.

ski holidays
telford_mike, I see you have stopped at Sonnerberg hopefully for some homecake cakes !!

It looks like snow is forecasted on monday !!
latest report
Got it in one Chris. There are plenty of places in the Bernese Oberland where you can get a nice view of the mountains, but personally I reckon the terrace at Sonnenberg takes some beating. Of course the cakes may be clouding my judgement a little!

Warm again today Shocked Hopefully things will change at the weekend.
snow conditions
telford_mike, the weather looks lovely...more pics please
snow conditions
telford_mike, One of the nicest views of the area is at the top of the Schnyge Platte (sp ?) quite a few of the local pics are taken from there as it allows you an uninterupted view of the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau with the Mannlichen, Tschuggen and Lauberhorn as well, sadly you can't get up there in winter, another great view is from the Peak of the Mannlichen which you can get to even if it does mean a bit of a hike up hill from the cablecar, no cakes though Sad

Speaking of cakes I always felt that Marys Cafe went downhill in that respect after they got bought up by the Regina, shame really, in my childhood there were at least 4 bakers in Wengen and 3 did great cakes or pastries, but these days people do dinner rather than tea, Afternoon tea dances at the Silberhorn used to be great (ok I can't dance) I have good memories of sitting in there eating little lemon cream tarts or fruit flan, but all of that stopped decades ago Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Sherlock Holmes in the Ice Palace
The Sherlock Holmes Society of London will make a pilgrimage to the Bernese Oberland in September 2012. Last week, British artist John Doubleday created a Sherlock Holmes statue on the Jungfraujoch.

Last week, John Doubleday worked 15-hour days in the Ice Palace on the Jungfraujoch and created a work of art. He transformed a block of ice over two metres high into a sculpture of Sherlock Holmes. The master detective, complete with hat and pipe, is now immortalized in ice at over 3500 metres above sea level.

http://www.jungfrau.ch/nc/en/tourism/news-events/news/details/archive/2012/03/article/sherlock-holmes-im-eispalast-1036/
ski holidays
D G Orf, Agreed - Mary's has never been the same since it was taken over. We used to drop in a lot, but nowadays we ski straight past every time. Mmm afternoons at the Silberhorn - they used to do crepes too as memory serves.

Here's the new piste from Salzegg to Arven. It's got that convex, can't-see-the-slope, vertigo-inducing shape to it. It's good though as it eliminates the bottleneck on the Brandegg piste where all the pistes come together.

Pistes are still fine with no bare spots, though the track back to the village is beginning to suffer a bit towards the Brunner. Skied all the way to Grund this morning - snow is absolutely great before lunch. As I type this I can hear skiers skiing down the Brunner slopes to the Alpenrose. Forecast looks pretty iffy from Sunday onwards.
snow report
It's snowing! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
It's still snowing! Looking like close to 10cm at Wengen town level now so should have given a good top up to the slopes.
latest report
Wengen.com on twitter are stating so far 5cm in the village and its still snowing. Murren website are stating they have had 15cm in the village and the Eiger hotel webcam shows the roads are back to being covered with snow Little Angel .

telford_mike,are you still there?
snow conditions
Hi Chris, still here, eating breakfast and it's chucking it down outside Very Happy

Off to have a play.
snow conditions
telford_mike wrote:
Hi Chris, still here, eating breakfast and it's chucking it down outside Very Happy

Off to have a play.

You lucky bar steward....I'm sure it will be amazing once it clears up,pics please !!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
we had an incredible week last week.....wall-to-wall sun. Yeah, it was a little warm at times and it might have been a little soft under-ski for some, but we're still learning and a week of adapting to conditions has done us the world of good. Still so much snow up there, so with a little top-up and a bit of a cold snap it may just be bang-on when the sun comes out again!
ski holidays
Epic snow, but almost zero visibility. Good day though, about 30cm of freshies this morning. It's still snowing now - heavier than ever if anything. Pics are rubbish owing to the viz but you get the idea.

Back in the village conditions are midwinter-perfect.

latest report
Wonderfully quiet as well. We were still cutting fresh tracks in places as we headed to Brandegg for lunch at 1330.
snow report
Super powder day today, clear skies and lots of fresh tracks. Mild temps again this afternoon.

Pool race on Saturday, and on Sunday there's a football tourament on the (snow covered) tennis court!

ski holidays
telford_mike, I'd say that the area is having the best season ever in terms of consistent deep snow lasting the season, now who were those doubters back in November and Early December who were worried about lack of snow ? Shame on you, I told you all it would be ok NehNeh
snow report
telford_mike, looks wonderful...........very jealous
ski holidays
D G Orf, I confess! I was that doubter snowHead
ski holidays
The sun has done its dirty work on the powder, so it's back to the pistes for everyone today. Very quiet again, lovely weather.

Scheidegg.

snow conditions
Is it me - or is it exceptionally NOT busy this year ?... exchange rates ?
We went 2nd week of Feb this year - minus 21 at manlichen.. brrr .. will be going back next year - think it will be just as quiet ?
any reasons why so quiet at the mo you think ?...
snow conditions
Well the exchange rates certainly won't have helped, couple that with people having less money generally and there are a couple of good reasons right there, also SOME people thought that there wouldn't be any snow LOL
latest report
And you have such a good record too with the weather forecasting... maybe loosing your touch ? snowHead - hope not though !!.. its a great service you provide.

on the subject of services provided..... Could anyone possibly suggest a good week for visiting Wengen next year (2013)?
We are totally flexible on dates - this year we went Feb 11th to 18th - missing the half term and also the crowds from the build-up to race day a couple of weeks earlier.

I know its a needle in a haystack scenario... but looking for a quiet week (no local, national or UK school holiday's)
It will most likely be our first trip Snowboarding this time Confused approaching 40 and a midlife crisis? Laughing - so would appreciate space around us and not many Q's to crash into people Confused

So all things considered,... holidays, crowds, likely temps, chance of some sun, snow would be a bonus - could you sort that for us too ? (see i told you it was haystacks time! Laughing )...
...what week would YOU pick ?
latest report
It's definitely much quieter this season. The Swiss know it, and they seem to be trying to do something about it in an understated sort of way. For example, there's a nice 4 star hotel in Wengen where I've been known to do a bit of drinking over the years. I won't name it but it's an easy guess. 3 things have surprised me this season:-

You can walk into reception and get room and breakfast for CHF99 (normally CHF147 I think),
Heineken is on a permanent 3-for-2 offer in the bar,
They showed the 6 nations rugby in the lounge.

I've never believed that the Swiss had a word in their language for 'discount' before, but they're certainly learning the meaning of it pretty quickly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy