Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Are their other ski hire places in Murren apart from Stager-Sport that I can book online. I've searched but can only find online booking with Intersport at this shop.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jzBun wrote:
Are their other ski hire places in Murren apart from Stager-Sport that I can book online. I've searched but can only find online booking with Intersport at this shop.

3 infact:

Stager-Sports have 2 shops (one located in the sports centre and the other located next to the Schilthornbahn on the lower road).
www.staegersport.ch/

Alfred’s Sporthaus is located next to the Ice rink and only a minute away from the Sports Centre
www.alfredssporthaus.ch

Abegglen Sports is located opposite the Coop on the lower road and a minute away from Allmendhubel funnicular
www.skirental-muerren.ch

You don't need to pre-book before you arrive as they all have plenty of stock in all the shops

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 12-02-12 17:56; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris Brookes, I was thinking more about an online discount rather than paying in the shop.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jzBun wrote:
Chris Brookes, I was thinking more about an online discount rather than paying in the shop.

no online discount im afraid
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jzBun wrote:

Intersport have the mountain ski hire wrapped up, yes it's great service with the 'Jungfrau Rent Network' -swap kit and service at any location, but you pay a premium for it. I'm getting the kids kit from Outdoor in Interlaken this year pre-boking through AlpinResorts.com, cost CHF 285 with Central Sport in Wengen charging CHF 364. (we drive to Switzerland, so it's no problem to drop in on the way through)
Alpia (Intersport Lauterbrunnen)were offering a 10% pre-booking discount (CHF 327), but no discounts available from any of the other Intersport shops.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi all, just a quick update before my next plea for help. We had a fab week in the hotel Eiger in Murren back in January, after ther initial panic about lack of snow we were, I fact, "snowed" under with the stuff. We had a brilliant first day with powder upto the knees then the rest of the week was packed down with very few people out on the pistes!
We managed to ski all the way from the schilthorn right to Lauterbrunnen, nly the second time we've been able to do this.

So.....for my next bit of vital info from all you well learned folk out there...

We've been to the hotel Eiger for the last two years and have loved it! The position is really good for getting onto the the trains or pistes, the food is second to none and the hospitality the best. However..... The guys I travel with are wanting to try something a little different for next year.
Possibly Wengen?? I have stayed at the Brunner about 3 years ago, when it was still half board facility. Loved the fact it was ski in and out, my questions are as follows....

1) are there any hotels , other than the Brunner that are ski in and out in Wengen that cater for half board?

2) does anyone know of any chalets that offer the evening meal facility in Wengen. Rooms must have private bathrooms, we would need two double/twin rooms?

3) we wouldn't mind sharing a suite of rooms with 2 bathrooms if anyone knows of any?

4) possibly consider either Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald or other if price and location right?

The only reason we are looking for somewhere else is that we would like to come for 10 nights in January 2013 (inghams don't do this option!) and would like to experience another hotel in the area for a change.

The reason I ask about the location to lifts of the hotel is that the couple we travel with don't like to walk far, lol

Thanks in anticipation,

Suzysue
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
suzysue2, Re your questions

1. Very few, you can almost ski back to the Falken and Regina hotels but you'd really need to walk out, likewise the Caprice, the only one that offers half board and ski in ski out would I guess be the Hirschen, even the Brunner has apparently decided to stop doing Half Board.

However there are always the hotels at Wengeneralp and Kleine Scheidegg, both of which really are ski in and out, in bad weather however you may have to get a snow cat to do the transfer, although many years ago friends staying at Wengeneralp had a helicopter transfer Shocked

2. Not that I am aware of, though there might be some. One of the tour companies used to do a catered chalet option but that was many years ago.

3 and 4 pass ... Sorry Embarassed
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The webcam at Central Sport has been moved indoors - it's now in the equipment rental part of the shop, so you can watch Steve, Jean-Marc etc working hard!

http://gertsch.viewnetcam.com/SnapshotJPEG?Resolution=640x480&Quality=Standard&View=Full
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
telford_mike wrote:
The webcam at Central Sport has been moved indoors - it's now in the equipment rental part of the shop, so you can watch Steve, Jean-Marc etc working hard!

http://gertsch.viewnetcam.com/SnapshotJPEG?Resolution=640x480&Quality=Standard&View=Full

working hard?? Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It was warmer in Wengen today after the -20c on the Mannlichen yesterday. Went over to the Murren side which was very quite for the day and finished up by skiing from the Schilhorn at 2970m to Lauterbrunnen at 796m on perfect snow and blue skys all the way down. In the years I have been coming to Wengen this is only the third time the run from Winteregg to Lauterbrunnen has been skiable. The weather for the next few days is still cold but sunny much better than last week when at times visibility was poor with flat light in the afternoon.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Comparing Ski Club of Great Britain data on Mürren’s current snow depth with other better well known resorts i have visited in the past

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sherlockis wrote:
jzBun wrote:

Intersport have the mountain ski hire wrapped up, yes it's great service with the 'Jungfrau Rent Network' -swap kit and service at any location, but you pay a premium for it. I'm getting the kids kit from Outdoor in Interlaken this year pre-boking through ALPINRESORTS.com, cost CHF 285 with Central Sport in Wengen charging CHF 364. (we drive to Switzerland, so it's no problem to drop in on the way through)
Alpia (Intersport Lauterbrunnen)were offering a 10% pre-booking discount (CHF 327), but no discounts available from any of the other Intersport shops.

Just checked the SnowHeads weekly email link and priced up next week at CHF 234 - so even cheaper - should have waited!
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/wheeeee.php?to=alpres
use code snowball. looks like a 20% dicsount

snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Speedflying yesterday (05.02.12)above and around Mürren by Patrick Pearson from http://www.pearsonstyle.com/

http://vimeo.com/36263161
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Are you guys watching them...they are really good including this one !

http://youtube.com/v/9MEH5uuqcqU
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chris Brookes, Can't look at yoochoob in the office wink

Yet another webcam. This one is a bit flash so may not work on ipads & stuff like that:

http://www.bellevue-wengen.ch/webcam-wengen.html
snow report
Ski-cross course on Grindelwald-First
The piste-preparation team have built a World Cup ski-cross course next to the Schilt chairlift on First above Grindelwald. Try out this new Olympic sport for yourself on the 800m-long run.
The course has rollers, dips, steeply-banked curves, banks and of course jumps. The starting gate is the same as the one used for the Ski-Cross World Cup.

http://www.jungfrau.ch/nc/en/tourism/news-events/news/details/archive/2012/01/article/ski-cross-parcours-auf-grindelwald-first-993/
latest report
It'll be good to try this out once the competition is over Smile
snow conditions
Chris Brookes wrote:
jzBun wrote:

3 infact:

Stager-Sports have 2 shops (one located in the sports centre and the other located next to the Schilthornbahn on the lower road).
www.staegersport.ch/

Alfred’s Sporthaus is located next to the Ice rink and only a minute away from the Sports Centre
www.alfredssporthaus.ch

Abegglen Sports is located opposite the Coop on the lower road and a minute away from Allmendhubel funnicular
www.skirental-muerren.ch

You don't need to pre-book before you arrive as they all have plenty of stock in all the shops

Alfred’s Sporthaus now offering -20% discount if reserved online !!
ski holidays
D G Orf, Any sign of the very cold weather easing a bit from Monday 20th? Puzzled
ski holidays
It looks like the very cold weather will stop this weekend-
http://www.meteocentrale.ch/en/europe/switzerland/weather-muerren/details/N-3515820/
snow report
Warmer weather Friday and Saturday then a Brief cold snap before warmer temps Tuesday I think, Possible light snow Wednesday and Sunday this week, unlikely to come to much more than 5 cm on either day.

From Tuesday next week snow looks likely with a possible 30 cm perhaps a little more by Thursday, temps will remain around freezing until Saturday 25th, then it looks like things may get colder again
ski holidays
D G Orf, Chris Brookes, Thanks both. Reason for asking is Mrs T and I are sneaking a short break in Wengen from Monday till Friday. snowHead Mrs T doesn't like sub-artic temps, but I don't like misty wrmish slopes! Snow -forecast are predicting rain on Wednesdayat 1600 metres, but I don't want to believe that Sad
I would like some reassurance that snowforecast is wrong - again.LoL
latest report
Brian T, they may have it right but I suspect slightly damp snow, temps I have seen suggest only just above freezing which probably means it will snow, even if it's rain it should only be very light rain
ski holidays
D G Orf, Thanks. Sounds ok. I'd rather be in Wengen with very light rain, than in Birmigham, with heavier rain!
ski holidays
FL now states on website 1000m.. so fingers crossed !
snow report
Good amount of snow dumped today and hopefully even more overnight..

Footage taken at Birg on Monday 12th Feb in the perfect conditions, thanks to http://www.pearsonstyle.com for sharing
http://vimeo.com/36656289
snow report
D G Orf, weather update please as im out there next week
snow conditions
Good news: Ski Club reports 25 cm new snow today snowHead
Bad news: Family illness means Mrs T and I may not be able to go to Wengen on Monday Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting. I said it would snow today but it snowed 5 times the amount I was expecting earlier this week, I wonder what caused the change

Still forecasting some light snow Sunday though it might now be 10cm in total followed by a brief but notable temp dip Monday, then the next snow my Crystal ball sees will be arriving on the 25th or perhaps 26th after which indications are for light but fairly regular snow for a week
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:
Interesting. I said it would snow today but it snowed 5 times the amount I was expecting earlier this week, I wonder what caused the change

Still forecasting some light snow Sunday though it might now be 10cm in total followed by a brief but notable temp dip Monday, then the next snow my Crystal ball sees will be arriving on the 25th or perhaps 26th after which indications are for light but fairly regular snow for a week

and the temp David?
snow report
Chris Brookes wrote:

Pics please Chris Very Happy
latest report
telford_mike wrote:
Chris Brookes wrote:

Pics please Chris Very Happy

I will be posting plenty wink
snow report
Brian T wrote:
Good news: Ski Club reports 25 cm new snow today snowHead
Bad news: Family illness means Mrs T and I may not be able to go to Wengen on Monday Crying or Very sad

Sorry to hear
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, Thanks Chris. We are still hoping to go, it depends on the news today. Fingers crossed. Either way, hope you have a great time - the snow looks epic this year.
snow conditions
Chris Brookes wrote:

and the temp David?

Mainly hovering around freezing except on Monday which will be colder
latest report
D G Orf wrote:
Chris Brookes wrote:

and the temp David?

Mainly hovering around freezing except on Monday which will be colder

thanks David
latest report
I'm coming to Wengen on March 3rd ... will be my third trip there.
So please keep up the good work on the forecasting front !!

Quick question ... is it cheaper to buy the ski pass online before coming or is it the same cost when I arrive ??

Thanks,

G
ski holidays
You can get a small discount at http://www.swisspasses.com
snow conditions
Off to Wengen tomorrow for a short break of 4 days skiing. yippee. And the weather looks great. Please confirm forecast D G Orf, snowHead
ski holidays
Brian T wrote:
Off to Wengen tomorrow for a short break of 4 days skiing. yippee. And the weather looks great. Please confirm forecast D G Orf, snowHead

good news then ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy