Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
The run down to Lauterbrunnen isn't all that - we ski it when it's open just for a novelty really. Murren is totally worth a visit without this run - it's a unique area, and with all the new lifts that have been installed in the past few years, well linked. It's a particularly good option at weekends when Mannlichen / Scheidegg get busy.

Do try Murren, I promise you'll like it Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It is definitely worth spending a day over in Mürren if you're in the area, though, as there are some lovely runs there. I have a particular soft spot for the blue run variants down to Winteregg - just cruising blues, but such nice ones, with the most stunning views, particularly from the chair on the way back up (you see the majesty of the Eiger, Moench and Jungfrau much better from the Mürren side than you do from Wengen).

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 27-02-14 21:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Currently the Winteregg/Lauterbrunnen run is closed but you can still ski down to the very bottom

Isn't that naughty?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Off piste skiing around Mürren on the 23rd February by local friends, can you guess where they skied ?

https://vimeo.com/87739219
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great video ... so where was it ?
All I heard was Murren .....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And why are the tips of the skis above the snow ?
Don't have experience of off-piste but when I have the tips disappear ....... and yes I fall !!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Filmed in Sous Valley and Dorenhubel
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
J2R, there are two different reasons for closing a ru, the most common is low snow levels making the run patchy in places in this case all this means is that the run is not patrolled so if you have an accident no patroller will find you, the other reason for closing a run would be if there eas the likleyhood of an avalanche through it or starting on it, go down it then and get caught and yes you can expect a naughty seat at the very least
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gdbn wrote:
And why are the tips of the skis above the snow ?
Don't have experience of off-piste but when I have the tips disappear ....... and yes I fall !!

The tips are above the snow for a number of reasons:

1. They're going fast, which means they ride higher in the snow
2. They're on wider skis than you'd normally use on piste, which means again that they float higher in the snow. I didn't check out exactly what skis they were on but they may have had some variant of 'rocker', which helps keep the tip from diving.
3. They're good skiers, and know how to adjust their fore-aft balance so the tips don't dive!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gdbn, In powder especially deep powder you sit back a bit, this causes the tips of the skis to rise and makes for easier turning, lean back too much however and you will fall, it's just something one gains with experience Cool

Of course I'm too damn heavy right now to sit back in powder so I'd fall anyway Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
D G Orf wrote:
gdbn, In powder especially deep powder you sit back a bit, this causes the tips of the skis to rise and makes for easier turning

I know this isn't the technique forum, but I think it's worth pointing out that sitting back in powder is not encouraged these days with the wider skis, where the idea is to try to keep your weight over the centre of the skis. Having said that, I have no doubt that D G Orf skis the powder a lot better than I do Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
J2R, true wider skis mean sitting back is not required, but if you don't have the wider skis ..... Happy

By the way I say sit back a bit, we're talking very little here , only on steepish slopes on shallow slopes ski as normal
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the comments .....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Brookes wrote:
gdbn wrote:
Have never skiied "over the other side" but looking at the piste map it looks like a few runs would be out of service if there wasn't a lift/chair there.
That would be a great shame.
We were thinking of taking our equipment over to the other side this visit but would only do it if we could ski all the way back to Lauterbrunnen.
Is that closed due to lack of snow ??

All the runs are open around the closed t-bar. Currently the Winteregg/Lauterbrunnen run is closed but you can still ski down to the very bottom Wink

I would beg to differ Chris. When we went over the path in the cable car on Thursday there was acres of tarmac showing on the road and a couple of despondant skiiers walking down, skis on shoulders. I didn't have time to get a photo, but the last 500 metres of the run is very much in the sun and not very white! When I left on Friday everything in Wengen or below was slush or melted. Now I'm back on proper WiFi i'll post some pics.
We skiied around the Schiltgrat on Thursday - the Gimeln drag being out made the Schiltgrat lift busier (but still no Q at all), but with a bit of planning we managed to ski all the runs - except 25 which was not marked or bashed. The skimovie slalom was very quiet so we did that 3 times - before we noticed that the timing beam at the bottom was covered with snow so we didn't get a time - only 2 minutes of Video of me waiting by the finish wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wengen from the Bumps - Friday 28th Feb

View from the Schilthorn Thursday 27th Feb
snow conditions
And another one - Wixi on Friday morning. Fallboden lift closed due to the Fohn wind, but no-one on the Wixi lift and no Qs. Note - loads of snow as above 1500m

And one for Chris - loads of snow in the Engertal on Thursday, also very quiet

snow conditions
Snowing again here and they are forecasting 10cm -20cm today.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 9-03-14 21:08; edited 6 times in total
snow report
Arrived here Sat morning, snowed pretty much
Solid for the last 2 days & snowing heavy again
This morning. Plenty of white stuff in the village
(Wengen) with all runs back to resort in good nick.
Viz has been poor though with all the snow falling.
latest report
Woke up to it snowing again in Mürren with now over 120cm in the village but low visibility currently.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 9-03-14 21:11; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Chris Brookes wrote:
Woke up to it snowing again in Mürren with now over 120cm in the village but low visibility currently. Would love to post pictures but I can't . Only way to see them is via my twitter page

I thought you were going to say "would love to post pictures but................. you won't see anything" Very Happy
snow conditions
Still snowing but from tomorrow it's meant to be clearing up with the FL rising up to 2600m from Thursday onwards
ski holidays
Having looked at the forecast for early next week, I think I will pack my swimming shorts and flip flops .....
snow report
Superb weather today with clear skies and empty pistes. It was +1 in Mürren and -6 at Birg at 2677m. Tomorrow the weather changes and it will be +8 in the village by lunchtime.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 9-03-14 21:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
gdbn wrote:
Having looked at the forecast for early next week, I think I will pack my swimming shorts and flip flops .....

Welcome to my world! I'll be there the same time as you, and every time I've been to the Jungfrau area in March (I think this will be the 7th time) it's been hot and sunny (one time it was 21C in Winteregg the day after I arrived). Must be some strange meteorological quirk. I'd kind of like a change one time, so that I could get to know the lower slopes a bit more (which are usually too slushy to ski). But it beats working anyway!
ski holidays
Roll-call. Who's out between now and the end of March? Very Happy
ski holidays
Me!
snow report
I'm in Wengen now and I have to say the slopes are in great condition despite the warm weather.
snow report
Arrived at Interlaken earlier. 4 hours in Geneva airport waiting for the baggage because the handlers were on strike! Weather looking great Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Day up at First. Awesome
ski holidays
Deedee, pics!
snow conditions
snow conditions

ski holidays
My recent trip to Mürren -
Mürren March 2014 from Chris Brookes
https://vimeo.com/88717922
snow report
Deedee, lovely pics thanks for sharing!

Chris really enjoyed that! funny how we all tread the same route from the airport Very Happy
latest report
Can't believe how warm it is here. Snow was getting pretty slushy so i had an afternoon off today. Favourute run so far is from Kleine Sheidegg down to Grindlewald, might get the first train up tomorrow and do it again. Haven't needed a jacket or gloves yet!
snow report
Deedee, if you are happy with red runs, go up to Mannlichen and then ski over to Scheidegg via Lager, Gummi and Arven lifts before skiing down to Grund, stop at Brandegg on your way down for apple fritters
latest report
Can anyone point me towards the 2015 school holiday calendar for europe ?..
As I've got an offer of staying back in Murren Feb 28th to March 7th 2015 - is this a good time / out of school hols does anyone know ? thankyou Very Happy
snow conditions
gamer2471, not sure about being out of school hols but in general early march is not a bad time to go, just expect to go out earlier and come back earlier as the sun warms the slopes a bit later in the day
snow report
Mürren News : Gimmeln and the Allmendhubel lifts to be replaced for next season
The Board of Directors of the Schilthorn Cableway AG today confirmed the future of the ski lifts - Gimmeln and Allmendhubel.

Both lifts will be replaced for the winter season 2014/2015 at a cost of 1.9 million CHF.
http://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/129878/
snow conditions
Chris Brookes, good news about the lifts, but no more Apollo piste by the sound of it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy