Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
rachelb, All the main shops are connected through the Rent Network and charge the same, so it doesn't matter much. That said I have always used Central Sport closest to the cable car station who never let me down.

I just spotted you get 10% off when you prebook through https://www.intersportrent.ch/
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's great, Ronald, thanks very much
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I too have found Central Sport to be good, though I have my own kit I have used them for friends who needed to rent, same prices everywhere but Central does have a very large stock
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
New Webcam at Jungfraujoch

According to manufacturer Roundshot it is the highest 360 ° panoramic webcam in Europe.

http://panocam.skiline.cc/jungfraujoch
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
which makes it 4 of them on mountain peeks and 3 at hotels in the area

http://panocam.skiline.cc/jungfraujoch at Jungfraujoch at the upper viewing terrace

http://panocam.skiline.cc/lauberhorn at the Lauberhorn top of the Wixi chairlift

http://panocam.skiline.cc/maennlichen on top of the godola station at Mannlichen

http://panocam.skiline.cc/firstbahn at the top of First above Grindelwald

http://hoteledelweiss.roundshot.ch/ Hotel Edelweiss Murren

http://bellevue.roundshot.ch/ Hotel Bellevue Wengen

http://kirchbuehl.roundshot.ch/ Hotel Kirchbuhl Grindelwald
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Modern technology is fantastic - so happy to see the snow again and cannot wait until December.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mürren today taken from the sun terrace at the Hotel Bellevue

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would imagine it will be gone again soon enough, snow rarely stays at the lower altitudes until late November at the earliest and often not until late December, for those unfamiliar with the area 35cm of Snow on Wengens lower slopes and 85cm on its upper slopes is enough to open most of the runs, a few such as the black from the top of Gummi chairlift (Gummi Nord I think) need a good bit more snow as they have a lot of rocks, but the majority of the pistes in the area are on alpine meadows so require very little snow to be skiable, they don't need that much on the upper slopes but it tends to get wind blown stripping it off of certain slopes such as those below the Aspen chairlift, if you see a report that gives values deeper than I give above chances are the skiing will be good
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The temps are rising already so it will be gone very soon but good to see and worth a post from me
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris Brookes wrote:
The temps are rising already so it will be gone very soon but good to see and worth a post from me

Don't know about anyone else but my heart rate rises when I see photos like that. It's the same feeling of excitement that Christmas Eve used to make me feel like as a kid so definitely worth a post Chris - hope to see a few more of them before New Year!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They've been busy putting up the snow cannons on the lauberhorn today
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lovely view up the Lauterbrunnen valley from the Bellvue hotel web cam today, all the autumn colours combined with a moody sky make it very picturesque
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Webcams to the ready, snow coming to the region this weekend !!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Brookes wrote:
Webcams to the ready, snow coming to the region this weekend !!

Absolutely Smile I have a new one at home ready for installation in the DHO club room next month. I think I'll point it towards Murren, which will give a nice shot of the Breithorn. Just hope the cables above the railway don't ruin the view!

Interesting article in the BZ about the future of mountain transport in the region, including views on the 'V project' (2 gondolas from Grund going to Mannlichen & Eigergletcher) and more interestingly speculating upon the demise of the tunnel to the Jungfraujoch...

http://www.bernerzeitung.ch/region/thun/Bei-der-ersten-Abstimmung-wird-das-VProjekt-wohl-abgelehnt/story/29717029
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
telford_mike, That would be quite a change if the tunnel up to the Jungfraujoch is taken out of service. Sad My reading of the article is that by 2025 there may be problems with warming temperatures affecting permafrost and the tunnel's safety, and they are talking about possibly putting in a gondola from the Eigergletscher up to the Jungfraujoch as an alternative?
snow conditions
telford_mikea new camera....better quality I hope wink ..........looking forward to the new view then
ski holidays
Already checking cameras daily!! Whose going to be Wengen/Murren for Christmas and New Year?
snow report
skilegs, we'll be there from about the 14th Dec Very Happy
snow conditions
skilegs, I'll be there for the New Year week (from Dec 28th). I'll be staying in an apartment in Lauterbrunnen with friends. Very Happy
ski holidays
Fascinating article that telford mike reports - all the usual problems with the Jungfrau - petty squabbles - why on earth does the GGM gondola company even have to exist separately from Jungfrau railways - no doubt the reason that the long and miserable Tschuggen drag is never replaced - turf wars between the two parties. They have made huge strides in recent years but the GGM gondola is a half hour embarrassment - the overcrowding on some trains from Grund is dreadful and the half hour service is unacceptable. I almost got myself to the stage of saying I would not be coming back to the resort until the V-shaped gondola is completed but I might be dead by then if this is the sort of news that is around.

It is not as if the swiss have even got a decent exchange rate that they can afford to be choosey about not providing top notch service

Hey-ho and off to Austria we may go.
snow conditions
The worst one for turf wars are the Arven and Lauberghorn Lifts, the two lifts are on different families lands and apparently ( so I was told by a knowledgeable local) there is some ancient enmity between the two, the result of course is that you have to climb uphill from Scheidegg/Arven to get to the Bottom of the Lauberhorn lift, the feud is almost certainly related to cows and pasture and has been going on for some time prior to the current generation of owners Shocked
snow report
Piste basher out grooming the Schilthorn slope today,getting ready for the snow tomorrow !!

snow conditions
Murren just about on the Snowline today give or take a few feet, seems to be raining below the main street and trying to snow just above
ski holidays
ski holidays
Massive storm at Scheidegg by the look of things.
snow conditions
Looking forward to the view tomorrow from the cams
snow conditions
For those of you who can read German there's some interesting info about the Jungfrau region (including Grindelwald tobogganing and the Lauberhorn race course amongst other items) in this pdf: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3co1qle47c4zlry/SoZ-3_11_2013-Grindelwald_1514.pdf
latest report
Picture taken today of the nursery slope (in front of the Jungfrau Hotel)

http://www.hoteljungfrau.ch/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Someone got themselves a lovely ski run down the Lauberhorn today in beautiful conditions, if you look at the 11am picture from the roundshot camera (link above) you can see them near the start hut, guess they got a lift up the Lauberhorn chair, Piste Machines and Snow Making been going on much of the day, very early though so I guess they expect it to stay cold for a while
ski holidays
D G Orf, am relying on you for your now famous snow predictions for Christmas!
snow conditions
skilegs, give it a few weeks and I shall in the mean time slowly dropping temps for the next two weeks, a little more snow Thursday / Friday this week and then again a small say 30% chance of snow for most days next week except I think for monday
latest report
So folks, I' m considering wengen in January. Why should we come?
snow conditions
NE1, Have you been asked !!!!
snow conditions
NE1 wrote:

You might get a glimpse of me rolling eyes
snow report
NE1, Fantastic scenery, good food (if you want it) old fashioned atmosphere

On the other hand if you prefer concrete, burgers and loud music I'd suggest somewhere in France might be more suitable

snow report
D G Orf, we like to ski distances easily. Wengen doesn't look that easy to ski distances. Having done further research it looks like to get to murren you have to get the train down to the valley and then get a gondola back up to the ski area. How easy is this to do? Or is it not worth the effort? It seems also to be a slow journey to grindlewald, and then that makes me anxious about return journey times. Or is the skiing around wengen more than brill enough to not have to bother going elsewhere?

I must admit we are big fans of the ease of skiing the mega resorts of France, but fancy a change. Only ever skied Zermatt in Switzerland (got a very cheap deal some years ago) and really enjoyed it.

Thanks for your advice and guidance
snow report
NE1 wrote:
Having done further research it looks like to get to murren you have to get the train down to the valley and then get a gondola back up to the ski area. How easy is this to do? Or is it not worth the effort?

Yes, to go skiing in Murren from Wengen as you say you'll need to take the train down to Lauterbrunnen (about 20 mins), walk to the adjacent cable car station (2 mins) that goes up to Grutschalp (6 mins), board the Murren train at Grutschalp and you can either go all the way to Murren village which takes 14 mins from Grutschalp or (my preference) you can get off at the first stop at Winteregg (6 mins from Grutschalp) and enter the Murren ski area there. It's definitely worthwhile having at least one day in Murren, there's good skiing around the Birg area in particular, and from there you can go up the Schilthorn with the James Bond 007 connection revolving restaurant, great views and the black run down from the top which then leads on to the rest of the Inferno course including the Kannonenrohr.

As regards getting to Grindelwald you can ski down to Grindelwald Grund from the Mannlichen slopes above Wengen and return either via a gondola to Mannlichen or by train up to Kleine Scheidegg. Alternatively from Grindelwald you can also go by train via Zweilutschinen back to Lauterbrunnen and then back up to Wengen.
snow conditions
NE1, average length of most of the main Manlichen to Kl Schidegg runs is something like 8km with spots along all of them that allow you to return to the top, as Alastair Pink, says you can go from Wengen to Grindelwald the long way by train along the valley floor, BUT it's much easier to take the Cablecar from Wengen up the Mannlichen (about 8 mins if theres no queue) and then ski down to Grund (in the valley slightly below Grindelwald, from there you can take a ski bus up to the First Gondola Lift at the other end of Grindelwald or take the Gondola back up the mountain to the Mannlichen or the Train to Kleine Scheidegg, it is also possible to Ski down to Grund from Kleine Scheidegg and from the bottom of the Tschuggen drag lift (halfway between Mannlichen and Kleine Scheidegg).

Even for someone as unfit as myself it's easy to ski about 10,000ft of vertical and 16Km of piste before lunch in a day
ski holidays
NE1 wrote:

Because it's the best ski resort in the world, that's why Smile
snow conditions
Thanks guys that all sounds really good and is wetting my appetite.

The hotel is the belleverde which is a 'way out', anyone know how far out a way out is please?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy