Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
The new base station for the cablecar is long overdue
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Something is happening this weekend to bring a Rolls Royce to Mürren wink

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Press photos today with George Lazenby and Sylvana Henriques (the Jamaican Girl) outside the Eiger Hotel for Bond World public Grand opening tomorrow at the Schilthorn -

ps...project planned for 2014 at Birg ...Skyline Walk !!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah so that's why they winched the RR up...!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bond World - VIP Opening

http://youtube.com/v/-kmr4ag6IF8
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Birg Skyline Walk project for 2014 above Mürren

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
New hotel/apartments is scheduled to open for the winter season 2016/2017 in Mürren

The legal framework for the construction of an apartment hotel in Mürren are fixed, the architectural competition was launched. .

location of the new hotel -

full article in German here -
http://www.bernerzeitung.ch/region/thun/Wird-das-Apartmenthotel-2016-eroeffnet/story/22377846
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Something different to watch.....we chartered a RIB for a family day out to a picnic on an island between Jersey and France called Les Ecrehous......enjoy
Day Trip to the Les Ecrehous from Chris Brookes
https://vimeo.com/71469492
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another quick video on a RIB around the North Coast of Jersey last Sunday

North Coast RIB Trip from Chris Brookes
https://vimeo.com/73593581
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
From Jungfrau.ch on Facebook: "The cable railway Lauterbrunnen - Grütschalp had a technical fault. The operation is discontinued until further notice. We are clarifying the cause."

Edit: They've now posted that it's back working, so it didn't take them long to fix the problem! Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Schilthorn have a new website -

http://www.schilthorn.ch/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Discounts will be available on Jungfrau region Sportpasses again this winter - but for all periods from 2-10 days not just the 6 day pass like last year. Book 21 days in advance and save 10-20%, available from October.

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/winter/tourism/ski-area/benefits/#early-bird-2-to-10-day-ski-passes_412

Also there's 50% discount on 1 day passes in the Meiringen-Hasliberg region for holders of Jungfrau passes ( 5+ days or season) - they don't have to be valid (you won't 'waste' a day), last year we got a discounted 6 day pass, then went to M-H on the Friday, worked out about £20 per adult for the day which was cheaper than an extra day on the Jungfrau pass. Not as good as the Jungfrau region of course, but after
11 consecutive years of travelling to the region it's quite nice to see what it's like at the other end of the valley Smile

Link in German only,
http://www.jungfrau.ch/winter/tourismus/skigebiet/vorteile/#kooperation-meiringen-hasliberg_783
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A Jungfrau season pass for anyone over 70 is SF450 - cheaper than 13 day pass.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:
From Jungfrau.ch on Facebook: "The cable railway Lauterbrunnen - Grütschalp had a technical fault. The operation is discontinued until further notice. We are clarifying the cause."

Edit: They've now posted that it's back working, so it didn't take them long to fix the problem! Laughing

Fault was due to a defect in the hydraulic pressure switch which stopped the service at 15:00. Typical Swiss, by 16:00 it was back in action with a replacement switch !
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Howdy all.. we are booked to go back in the New Year - this time to Murren... last year we bought our 6 days ski passes online for 157CHF each Very Happy bought in November for March.. going mid Jan this time... does anyone know if they usually do these special discounts ?.. or were we particularly lucky last time ?.. think they have 20% off at mo... but holding off just for now.. do i stick or twist ? Puzzled
latest report
gamer 2471 - the discounts are only available from the Jungfrau website from "October "
last year they didn't change the scheme throughout the season, they just had the variable discount between 20% and 50% for 6-day Jungfrau passes only - discount dependent on low-mid or high season.
This season they have opted for a more sensible advance purchase arrangement at a 10-20% for 2-10 day passes rather than just the 6 day pass-(which did seem a bit daft - we always go for 8 days, so we ended up going to Meiringen-Hasliberg for the other 2 days on the 50% deal)
Very occasionally they will have early-season discounts before Christmas, but not normally once there is decent snow cover!
So the price for your particular week shouldn't change from when the sales go live, but just in case watch out for the 21-day lead-time for the deal to avoid missing out!

Tip for anyone buying a pass online - even if you still have your pass from last year, go for the delivery option for a new pass - there's only one postage charge (£5?) per order. If you re-use last year's pass you have to carry round the paperwork to show to the conductors on the WAB and the BOB - as the pass will still show the old validity dates printed on it. Works fine on the lifts etc, but confuses the hell out of the conductors!. Jungfrau railways will NOT reprint your old pass (or at least they couldn't last year)
snow conditions
Sorry...I just had to post it

ski holidays
I'm guessing from the photo it's the Umlaut... i didn't know how to type an Umlaut - but you've just made me do a search and now i know

Mürren Madeye-Smiley

@ Sherlockis : thanks for info regarding the passes / costs
snow report
Mürren yesterday !!.................Winter is coming

snow conditions
What is wrong with this article?

http://www.onthesnow.com/news/a/584922/top-resorts-to-learn-how-to-ski--wengen--switzerland
snow report
Chris Brookes wrote:
What is wrong with this article?

http://www.onthesnow.com/news/a/584922/top-resorts-to-learn-how-to-ski--wengen--switzerland

Laughing

Well if you will frequent snow websites other than the authoritative snowHeads, what do you expect? wink
ski holidays
What's wrong is that they've used a picture from Murren since that's the Grütschalp to Murren train , you'd have thought if they had done any research that they'd have used a picture of the WAB Green and Yellow trains which are just as pretty
latest report
D G Orf wrote:
What's wrong is that they've used a picture from Murren since that's the Grütschalp to Murren train , you'd have thought if they had done any research that they'd have used a picture of the WAB Green and Yellow trains which are just as pretty

... and go to a better resort. wink
snow report
Alastair Pink, lol
latest report
Indeed Wengen is much nicer though Murren is pretty Laughing
latest report
sherlockis wrote:
gamer 2471 - the discounts are only available from the Jungfrau website from "October "
last year they didn't change the scheme throughout the season, they just had the variable discount between 20% and 50% for 6-day Jungfrau passes only - discount dependent on low-mid or high season.
This season they have opted for a more sensible advance purchase arrangement at a 10-20% for 2-10 day passes rather than just the 6 day pass-(which did seem a bit daft - we always go for 8 days, so we ended up going to Meiringen-Hasliberg for the other 2 days on the 50% deal)
Very occasionally they will have early-season discounts before Christmas, but not normally once there is decent snow cover!
So the price for your particular week shouldn't change from when the sales go live, but just in case watch out for the 21-day lead-time for the deal to avoid missing out!

Tip for anyone buying a pass online - even if you still have your pass from last year, go for the delivery option for a new pass - there's only one postage charge (£5?) per order. If you re-use last year's pass you have to carry round the paperwork to show to the conductors on the WAB and the BOB - as the pass will still show the old validity dates printed on it. Works fine on the lifts etc, but confuses the hell out of the conductors!. Jungfrau railways will NOT reprint your old pass (or at least they couldn't last year)

So, If I'm taking a group of 28 (12 adults, 7 youths, 9 children) of us to Lauterbrunnen for New Year week, am I right in thinking I'd be best off pre-booking the adults passes online, and purchasing the youth and child passes separately as a group purchase? The group prices appear to be more expensive than the pre-booked price?? Can anyone clarify what exactly the hiking /sledging pass covers as there would only be CHF14 difference between that and a full (discounted ) adult ski pass?

Any "must do whilst there" advice would be most welcome as none of us have been to the area before and I'm guessing New Year Week will be pretty busy!
ski holidays
r0g3ratnw, regarding the passes it certainly looks like it.

Hiking/Sledging passes cover the same region but don't (so far as I recall) include the chair or drag lifts which are not generally used by walkers or those on sledges. Just about all restaurants in the area can be reached by non skiers using train, cablecar, gondola or ski bus, so non skiers can easily meet with their skiing friends for lunch.

New years Eve is party night, expect cowbells and fireworks, New Years day is very quiet especially the mornings, ski instructors get the mornings off (and often the afternoons) since it is fairly common for them to be out late the night before. After New Years most locals go back to work so the slopes will be a bit quieter though obviously tourists are still around.

As for things to do, The Schilthorn is well worth a visit as is Jungfraujoch (highest railway in Europe) you pay a supplement for the latter, depending on what they decide each year you might have to pay to take the lift down from the Schilthorn but up is always included on the ski pass, only go to either on a really clear day otherwise all you will see is white cloud.

If the weather is terrible a trip to Interlaken can be enjoyable try Café Schu which does great chocolates
latest report
thanks D G Orf - that's just saved CHF312! Thanks to Sherlockis for the heads up and the link as well - I'd been on the Jungfrau website and certainly hadn't spotted the discount. Doubt I would ever have seen it.

Will definitely be trying The Schilthorn, hoping to get up there for an early breakfast and then ski down the route of the Inferno to recce it for possible entry next year (one more off the bucket list). One question -looking at the Inferno race videos, the first section before the racers hit the road doesn't look particularly difficult - alot of our group are tentative intermediates and most haven't attempted a black before - will I get them down from The Schilthorn easily or am I being over optimistic?

Also sounds like a perfect place for keeping the non-skiers happy. Cafe Schu now at top of list of refreshment places! Anyone recommend any other favourites?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
r0g3ratnw, I would not advise trying to bring a group of tentative intermediates down from the Schilthorn. The first piste down to where the Inferno race starts is fairly steep and exposed and the black Kanonenrohr piste further down may be a problem as it is narrow in places.
ski holidays
Those Inferno videos make the course look much easier than it really is
snow report
thanks riverman and D G Orf - I thought that might be the case. Oh well, will just have to save that run for myself then! Smile
snow report
Just in case you have seen this one of the Inferno taken by Stuart McIntyre (K member) in 2013

http://youtube.com/v/mgj_uW1fH3k
latest report
that's a great vid - was surprised by how quickly he overtook the first two racers. The more I watch the race vids the more I want to do the race. Apart from selling out quickly I'm assuming it's difficult to get a place?

I've never been to the area before but the more I read the more I think this could be a place I'll want to return to again and again. I'll probably understand why various family were members of the DHO club in the 50's and 90's -albeit that they seemed to be more interested in the Curling rather than the racing! rolling eyes
latest report
Ah the DHO now have a lovely new club room right next to the Wengen Railway station always worth a visit since we now have somewhere to display the various cups and memorabilia, plus it's heated unlike the curling club hut which we used for many decades.
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:
Ah the DHO now have a lovely new club room right next to the Wengen Railway station always worth a visit since we now have somewhere to display the various cups and memorabilia, plus it's heated unlike the curling club hut which we used for many decades.

Would love to pop in, if that's allowed, when I'm out there over New Year. Especially as I believe my Great Uncle, Hubert Withinshaw, was part of the team that won the Reinhert-Stofer curling cup in 1955. Not sure whether the cup/trophy would have his name on it but it would be great just to take a look around the Club- there seems to be quite a lot of family history that comes from the area and I'd love to find out a bit more.
snow conditions
r0g3ratnw, I've sent you a PM (Private Message). Smile
ski holidays
New for this year -

Mürren - Schilthorn ski movie in the Schiltgrat ski area

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/winter/tourism/ski-area/muerren-schilthorn/weather-piste-information/railways-lifts/

Any ideas as I think Wengen had one installed last year?
ski holidays
r0g3ratnw, anybody can visit the DHO though I suspect the curling trophy would be in the curling club.
snow report
Just to let people know that the discount for Jungfrau region adult ski passes bought in advance online has now gone live. If you go to http://shop.jungfrau.ch/en/skipass?___from_store=de and input a start date more than 21 days ahead you'll see that it shows the discounted price e.g a 6 day pass shows as 258CHF reduced from 323CHF. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Hi, we're going to Wengen for the christmas week and will need to hire skis and boots for our two teenagers. Any recommendations? How about the jungfrau site as I see they have equipment there? Any help appreciated
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy