Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet baggage question - again!

Poster: A snowHead
The way I understand it now after speaking to customer services is that you have to pay £36 rtn ski carriage plus £18 rtn for the standard hold baggage allowance. This gives you a total combined weight of 32kg. Ski carriage alone gives you 12kg. Now this is the fun bit, BA gave me all this b****x in March but I still took my snowboard bag packed to the rim and went on the plane with my rucksack. I didn't pay any extra at all as luggage is included with BA. My question is will I get away with it with EJ? I have paid the 1 hold bag option but not ski carriage. I have gone through other posts but not 1 satisfactory answer so sorry for repeat post.

Only 10 days to go..... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My opinion, for what it is worth, is that if your checked luggage (no matter what it contains) is within your 20Kg allowance then you should be o.k.. I've looked on EJ's website for details of any maximum dimensions for checked luggage and can't find any. So, surely, if you have one piece of checked luggage with dimensions of, say 48" x 20" x 15", but it weighs 20Kg or less, then it must be o.k. even though it contains a snowboard. You'll probably have to check it in at the 'oversized' luggage desk but not pay any extra for it.
In saying all of the above, I don't trust that any airline staff won't just make up /or interpret the 'rules', on the day, as they see fit. But at least Easyjet are a bit better than the money-grabbing shysters at Ryanair, in my experience!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gainz, looking at the lastest rules on easyjet I reckon as long as your snowboard bag is less than 20kg you'll get away with it. The advice is suggesting that if you book sports equipment then you have to take some - you can't buy the 12kg extra then not carry any sports equipment. It doesn't say anything about what the 20kg hold bag can or cannot contain, nor what the maximum dimensions are.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx, That's my strict interpretation of the rules however having been stuffed with this argument by a computer sez no employee at LGW I wouldn't want to argue it with Sleasy as I'm sure they choose to interpret their own rules differently.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gainz, have the T&C's changed from last year ?

edit - it seems to still says the same as last year. Weight allowance per passenger, fee chaged per bag so no bag no fee but your 20 kg is still there, pay the additional (ski) fee gives 32 kg. I can see no reference however to 12 kg anywhere !, can any one else ?
Quote:
Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kgs.Where your total checked-in hold baggage weighs more than 32Kgs, normal excess baggage charges as set out above shall apply in addition to the above fee.

Quote:
Every item of standard checked ('hold') baggage will incur a fee. Payment of the fee entitles each passenger who has paid the fee to check in one item of hold baggage with a maximum weight allowance of 20kg per passenger.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's definately 32kg with the sports luggage only, I have just done it and checked in advance with someone who 'knows' wink

However have been reliably informed that the regs will be changed later in the year, will let all know when it happens!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
anarchicsaltire, I am flying tomorrow and have only paid for my board bag (as I have mainly done for flights over the last 4 years with Easyjet) and will be armed with a copy of the T&Cs.

Gainz, I will try to let you know how I get on !!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I cannot answer your question but the 12kg extra for skis is in the written rules (they say you can add some of the 20kg to the 12, but not the other way round or you'd have to pay extra.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowball, it may have said something like that last season but they have revised the T&C's. I could not find it when I looked yesterday, have you actually seen that in the rules/T&Cs ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Simple - take your crecit card with you, expect the worst and pony up any extra cash they decide to charge you. If the £36 is going to make or break your holiday, then you need a different pastime.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Voice of Reason, Harsh but true Laughing Laughing

Gainz, I think it depends on what side of the bed the check in staff got out of that morning (and whose possibly wink )
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rayscoops wrote:
snowball, it may have said something like that last season but they have revised the T&C's. I could not find it when I looked yesterday, have you actually seen that in the rules/T&Cs ?

Yes, I looked it up a couple of days ago.
"For example:
One passenger travelling buys a bag and an additional sporting allowance. This gives an allowance of 2 items (which must include 1 sporting item), at a total weight of 32kg. However, if the sporting item is 18kg and the bag is 14kg then that’s fine with us!"
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowball, that makes no actual reference to 12 kg though - just an examle of a certain scenario ! last year there was reference that paying the ski allowance increased your baggage allowance by 12kg but those words seem to have disappeared from the T&Cs

I will only be be taking a snow boardbag and the only reference to its weight is a maximum of 32 kg if I pay the additional fee (which I have done so - I do not have any other checked baggage so what you describe suggest is that if I have a 25kg ski bag and no other bag that I am within the rules for the fee I have paid ? I think Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It does say, though that buying a sports bag allowance increases your total allowance from 20 kg to 32kg. Do the maths.
As to your particular question - as I said, I don't know. But it certainly used to be the case last year that no bad could exceed 20kg without incurring an excess baggage charge.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 15-12-10 13:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball, where ?
snow report
Actually I find it does say about 12kg:-

"Buying weight allowance for sporting goods gives you a 12kg extra weight allowance. You must be travelling with sports equipment (as listed in the booking process), although the exact weight distribution between items doesn’t matter." http://www.easyjet.com/en/planning/baggage.html

It seems that they dropped the rule about none of the new weight going onto the main bag, though they do ask you not to make any bag more than 23kg if you can possibly help it.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 15-12-10 13:23; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
The Voice of Reason, I'm not being tight here mate. My problem from the beginning was that Expedia messed up the booking so much it actually took 4 days to get it right AND there still wasn't the ski carriage added. I didn't want to rock the boat any more and left it. As this trip is all inclusive I decided not to take my board. But since then I bought a new board and I'm itching to take it away, hence all this pissing around.
snow report
snowball, ah yes, thanks, not an issue though as it just lines up the 32 kg max if you have paid for ski baggage.

I normally travel with about 15 kg board bag and hand luggage and paying extra £££ for a hold bag seem morally wrong Very Happy , so should be able to avoid any pesky extra charges at the desk Very Happy
ski holidays
hmm, seems to me you get 12kg for skis but are allowed to transfer weight from your other bag. If you haven't payed for another bag I fear that may not apply.
snow conditions
snowball, I have done it about 20 times so not too worried and normally rely on the 0 bag x £6 = £0 for my 20 kg allowance ... and this ...
Quote:
Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kgs.Where your total checked-in hold baggage weighs more than 32Kgs, normal excess baggage charges as set out above shall apply in addition to the above fee.

edit - an of course my wit, charm, boyish good looks and winning smile wink
snow report
I'm not convinced but
rayscoops wrote:
an of course my wit, charm, boyish good looks and winning smile wink

I've not been fully exposed to them.
snow report
snowball wrote:
hmm, seems to me you get 12kg for skis but are allowed to transfer weight from your other bag. If you haven't payed for another bag I fear that may not apply.

But you don't have to pay for a bag to get the first 20kgs (as bizarre as that may seem). All passengers get the 20kgs 'by right'. If you then 'top up' with the sporting goods carriage that bumps the limit to 32kgs plus gives you 1 bag to put the lot in.
It's a tricky one to get your brain round for sure, but rayscoops and many others (mostly boarders travelling with one big bag) have been doing this for ages.

That said, you're still faced with the problem of the check-in staff understanding the system as well as we do.
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, yes, you get charged for the bag(s), not the weight - the 20 kg is, arguably, free with the flight. Some day soon they will simply say that you have to pay for at least one hold bag to get the 20 kg but they do not quite say that yet.

It is hard for the check in staff to justify a charge for excess of (for example) 4 kg for a 16kg snowboard bag when you are paying £18 for it in comparison with £6 for one 20 kg normal check-in bag ! Staying under 20 kg with the board bag means you have the moral high ground, going over 20kg and you are on thin ice imv
snow report
I found this on their web site, think its pretty explanatory

Quote:
Sports equipment – how does it work?
Buying weight allowance for sporting goods gives you a 12kg extra weight allowance. You must be travelling with sports equipment (as listed in the booking process), although the exact weight distribution between items doesn’t matter.
For example:
One passenger travelling buys a bag and an additional sporting allowance. This gives an allowance of 2 items (which must include 1 sporting item), at a total weight of 32kg. However, if the sporting item is 18kg and the bag is 14kg then that’s fine with us!
Two passengers are travelling with one hold bag and two pieces of sports equipment. This gives an allowance of 3 items (which must include 2 sporting items), at a total weight of 44kg. The exact distribution of weight between baggage items doesn’t matter, subject to the maximum weights detailed above for health and safety reasons.
One very important thing to remember: if you’ve told us you’ll be bringing sports equipment, you must do so. In the example where one hold bag and one piece of sports equipment had been purchased, one of the two items must be genuine sporting goods!
To illustrate:

http://www.easyjet.com/common/img/10811763-baggage-allowance-sports.JPG

Pretty good picture I think, and I think its important to note paying for sporting equipment DOES NOT entitle you to a hold bag PLUS sporting equipment, but it does give you 32kg in total to put in the hold, but it must be 'sporting equipment'. If you want a suitcase and skis for example you have to pay sporting equipment and baggage which give you combined total weight allowance of 32kg, but split across the 2 however you like.
ski holidays
rayscoops, on the 32kg ski/board bag point you no longer need to read tealeaves, as they cover that point explicitly now, although it seems to contradict their pervious policy on weight pooling. As posted earlier,
GrahamN wrote:
in... ( http://www.easyjet.com/en/planning/baggage.html ) it explicitly gives the case [even with pretty pictures, for the hard of understanding] that has elicited a great deal of discussion here previously:
1Pax + 1 sporting + 0 hold = 32kg allowance
It does though repeat the 2 pax + 1 bag + 2 skis = 44kg limit though Sad (although that doesn't affect me).
Simple solution to that is to make 2 bookings, 1 per person; both book 1 skis and only one book on the hold bag and you get 2x32kg allowance.

I agree fully about people taking the p*ss with carry-on size, which makes the boots in hand baggage thing, as fatbob posted, ridiculous - they would be perfectly happy for me to carry on two litre bottles of plonk, then smash them and have a way more dangerous weapon than any ski-boot. They've been making a big thing about no weight limit for carry-on bags, so what's the problem when people use it? I make sure my carry on does fit within the measure (admittedly only just), and am perfectly capable of putting it in the overhead locker, so what's their problem?

(Oops - this may not make great sense in place, looks like I edited this post in place, rather than quoting it as an illustration later in the discussion)

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 23-12-10 13:23; edited 2 times in total
latest report
In a hectic rush to pack for tomorrow and once again shocked by the weight of everything. Apart from thinking I really should find that one ski quiver, i would appreciate it if someone in the know could check if i'm getting this right.

booked 2 pax, three bags and three skis with 3kg extra weight - does this come to 2*20 + 3*12 + 3 = 79kg and it doesn't matter how its split as long as no one bag is more than 32kg?

Am I also to take it that if I have booked three skis I need three separate bags? At the moment I have three (one set without bindings) in a TNF roller and a fourth in a separate bag.
latest report
snowball wrote:

You don't need to pay for "another bag".

Every passenger gets a 20Kg weight allowance free (but no free baqs). You are then charged for each bag you take.

If you pay for sports gear, the allowance is increased (by 12Kg) to 32 Kg, and includes one bag for said sports gear. You can put the whole 32 Kg in tere, although as said, they aren't happy with more than 23Kg in any one bag.

Your difficulty here is that you are working on the basis that you only get the 20Kg allowance if you pay for a bag to put it in. This is not true, you get it anyhow, you just can't normally use it without a bag.
latest report
Quote:

Ski carriage alone gives you 12kg

Wrong. This is what jobsworth check in staff told me at Luton lin May 2010 - but following an an e mail to easyjet customer services I received a response which says that payment to carry sporting goods only entitles you to take a bag containing the said sports goods at a maximum weight of 32kg.

Otherwise, in summer for example, if you were wanting to take a mountain bike only (ie with no check in bag) you would be forced to pay for a check in bag that you weren't taking Puzzled in order to accommodate the weight of the bike -which is always going to exceed 12kg.

I now take along a print out of the confirmation e mail for all easyjet flights.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict - so if I pay for JUST ski carriage, can I put ski boots in there too (Boots are not allowed in hand luggage on easyjet anymore).
What about ski clothing (for padding)?
Would you mind sharing your email with us?

I saw the diagrams on easyjet website just yesterday and it definitely showed a man + skis = 32Kg then underneath a man + hold bag + skis = 32kg.
http://www.easyjet.com/en/planning/baggage.html
latest report
Quote:

mountainaddict - so if I pay for JUST ski carriage, can I put ski boots in there too (Boots are not allowed in hand luggage on easyjet anymore).
What about ski clothing (for padding)?

We check in only 1 ski bag, containing 2 pairs of skis, poles, clothes, rucksacks, shoes or boots and toiletries and have had no problems provided the bag weighs less than 32kg.

I don't think Easyjet have any concerns about what is in the bag, so presumably ski boots should not be a problem.

mountainaddict sent me a copy of the e-mail he received from (wait for it) Easyjet's Customer Experience Champion(!) which said:-

Thank you for contacting us.
>
> I would like to confirm that if you paid for sports equipment only (no hold bag fee) you still have 32 kg of baggage allowance. You can take sports equipment item which weighs 32 kg maximum but you cannot take any hold bag apart from it. The weight of 1 sports item cannot exceed 32 kg.
> Please remember that you can take more than 1 sports equipment item but total weight of all the hold bags and all the sports items a passenger is taking cannot exceed 50 kg
> I do hope I have been able to answer your question fully.

However, we flew with Easyjet on Monday this week with our boots in the hand luggage - so I'm not sure why you think that's not allowed Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
The Voice of Reason wrote:
Simple - take your crecit card with you, expect the worst and pony up any extra cash they decide to charge you. If the £36 is going to make or break your holiday, then you need a different pastime.

Nah - Its a kind of Mastercard ad scenario

Getting your snowboard on the plane - £18.00
The rest of the holiday - £4000.00
Making an Easyjet member of staff admit they are wrong and have been trying to rip you off...... priceless
ski holidays
This is exactly what the probelm with England is nowadays. Firstly, every large company has their rules and set procedures. Second they hire buffoons to implement them. Result is no-one knows what the f**k is going on, hence this post. So the 'Customer Experience Champion' I spoke to insisted to me over the phone that the max weight for ski carriage only was 12kgs. The diagram supplied by easyjet reads 32kgs. As KRS One once said, "Now tell me what the f**k am I supposed to do?"
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:

However, we flew with Easyjet on Monday this week with our boots in the hand luggage - so I'm not sure why you think that's not allowed Puzzled Puzzled

I found this on the Easyjet Answers page (do a search for 'boots'):

"Sports Equipment An additional non-refundable fee is charged per flight for the carriage of bicycles, golf equipment, skis, surfboards, wind surfers, kite surfers, hang gliders, and firearms. If you are travelling with ski boots only, you will have to check them in as normal hold baggage subject to hold baggage fees and it cannot be carried as sports equipment. It also cannot be carried alone as hand baggage due to security reasons. Details of sport equipment and baggage allowances can be found in our Carriers Regulations."
ski holidays
I've carried boots on loads of EJ flights. When they say it is a security issue, I offer to wear them and carry my footwear as hand luggage. They say you can't do that. I say.. show me your T's & C's on allowable footwear. They don't have any. Invariably some smartarse tells me that in the event of a crash I would be unable to evacuate the plane quickly. I offer to have a running race with the oldest person I can find at boarding and the peroxide blond with 6 inch stilettos, while I wear my boots. Oh, the peroxide blond can take her shoes off.... guess what, so can I, but I will still get less burns than the old people. Eventually they understand that I can undercut their levels of cash grabbing absurdity to a level where they haven't been trained. This never happens on outbound flights. Leaving Belfast, if it fits in the test cage everything it is fair enough. Coming back, I think they might be on a bonus for checked luggage. Still haven't paid any though
ski holidays
Gainz wrote:
This is exactly what the probelm with England is nowadays. Firstly, every large company has their rules and set procedures. Second they hire buffoons to implement them. Result is no-one knows what the f**k is going on, hence this post......

Or it could be that some skiers attempt to get round the rules and cheapskate the companies. They often get away with it, but are very miffed when challenged. They then cause delays for others checking in whilst they argue the toss.
ski holidays
Flew EZY LGW-GVA on 8th Dec, boots in backpack as hand luggage, no problems. Puzzled
ski holidays
Thornyhill,

Quote:

I offer to have a running race with the oldest person I can find at boarding and the peroxide blond with 6 inch stilettos, while I wear my boots. Oh, the peroxide blond can take her shoes off.... guess what, so can I, but I will still get less burns than the old people

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Thornyhill, Laughing
ski holidays
ALQ wrote:
Boots are not allowed in hand luggage on easyjet anymore

I can confirm that after a completely ridiculous discussion at Luton with Easyjet staff that had no idea how airport security works, we were forced to check in hand luggage with boots in it. No idea whether this is the case for other airports, but Luton staff all seemed to agree and refused to see sense on this.

One of our guys, who knew no better, was asked when he put his skis in, whether he had boots in his hand luggage. He told them he did. They told him they weren't allowed on the plane, and then forced us to check in our hand luggage.

When asked how they would know if we had boots in our bag, they said that airport security would stop us. We told them that simply wasn't true, we have flown regularly from Luton with boots in hand luggage. They then told us that security would only stop us if we were on an Easyjet flight. Also not true - security have no interest whatsoever what airline you are flying with, and won't apply silly policies on behalf of the airline.

When asked why boots weren't allowed, we were told it was because of weight and they could fall. I did explain to them that their policy was to allow any amount of hand luggage that would fit in the frame and that could be lifted by one person unassisted. I can lift into one of those compartments something like 40kg unassisted. But a pair of ski boots weighing 5 or 6kg is a safety risk?

In the end they checked the boots in for no charge, I was unhappy because I can easily replace almost anything but my boots in resort.

The answer to this is to simply lie to the check in staff. They have no right to search your hand luggage, they can ask what is in there but if you lie they can't go opening the thing. If security have a problem with your bag or items in there they can stop you, but if we had simply lied we'd have been fine. Nobody else at any stage would have stopped us, we even asked the security staff who looked very confused at Easyjet policy and told us it wouldn't have been a problem with them, they let them through no problem.
latest report
I flew to Scotland one-way last week with Easyjet.

I checked in my ski bag £18 and 1 small suitcase £9 and took my ski boots on as hand luggage. The lady on the EJ check in desk actually advised me that I could check the ski boot bag into the hold for free if I didn't want to carry it on.

It seems that either their policy is not uniformly implemented (or understood) or it is on the whim of individual staff as to what is accepted or not.

Nick
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy